Neutral Reviews of Brut by Fabergé

Stardate 20170330:

Fabrege Version:
When I was in middle school, my father got promoted to a new role in different part of the country. So when we were moving the main mover honcho was doing the dressing table and he saw my father's bottle of Brut. He did not know cologne and never wore them and so I spritzed some on him. He was happy and had a grin - a weird one.

A few days later when we were unpacking in our new home my father could not find his Brut. It never made it to our new place. My father chalked it up to things-that-go-missing-when-one-moves. I knew better.

To this day, whenever I smell Brut, I think of that episode in my life. I never could wear Brut since then. I recently got a Fabrege bottle for cheap (after Colin Maillard mentioned in one of the vintage threads ) hoping that I would be over it.
But no I still hate it.

But I love Rive Gauche PH - which is Brut minus Vanilla, SW, Ylang and Jasmine.
I think it is the vanilla and Ylang that make this fragrance a scrubber. They don't belong in this structure.
30th March, 2017
not bad not great , I am not against cheap stuff but this was never one of my favorites. cant give it a thumbs down because of its history neutral
11th July, 2016
Nostalgic kind of smell.
12th January, 2015 (last edited: 29th April, 2016)

I've finally tested the renowned Faberge' Brut recently in London (neaby a hair care items/products big store) and can understand why some people assert the formula has changed. Effectively I can't say to have fully caught on skin a breezy, realistically herbal virile barber shop aroma since, apart the initial cosmetical-balsamic anisic lavender/bergamot blast, all I get is cool synthetic powder, a touch of musk (galaxolide), woods and few else. Probably sharp floral notes ephemerally swirl around in the angular initial almost boisterous introduction but those are undiscerned and pale. The aroma anyway is pleasant and cool, aromatic and dry with a really freshly piney-boise undertone, a stout patchouli, vetiver, cedarwood and probably soothed tobacco. The final trail is fresh and distinguished in a classically barbershop herbal after shave way.
18th August, 2014
It's a classic scent and brings back a lot of memories of my dad in the bathroom dabbing it on before he leaves for work. I used to sneak in and take whiffs straight from the bottle. I hated it, it was harsh and felt like my nose was burning though the scent trail was nice. I thought that was the epitome of smelling like a man...too bad I didn't like it and for years went the opposite direction of fresh scents. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I like powdery scents, it has a barbershop quality to it,

Now that I'm older and have slowly edge more to deeper scents, I've decided to try brut again just for nostalgic reasons. I still have the same feelings for it, harsh and just plain BRUTal to my nose. I bought the bottle anyways (aftershave) so I can wear it when I want to reminiscent of the past. I am an old spice guy but Brut will always remain special to me because of it's association to my dad, though he now wears polo black, Brut will always be his fragrance.
09th August, 2012
The ubiquitous cologne of the late 1960's and early 1970's in the Western World, Brut was smartly advertised and associated with the expansion of professional sports to a middle-class audience in Europe and the United States, endorsed by some of the biggest sports celebrities like Joe Namath, Muhammad Ali and Franz Beckenbauer. Using its connection to sports to emphasize a new masculine identity and vision for the baby boomer generation, Brut became a very common place scent towards the early 1970's and lost its hip factor. It has remained a money-maker over the years despite changing owners a handful of times and certainly has a loyal fan base. For that reason, it certainly cannot be ignored, despite lacking the sophistication of many of the more modern scents.
Intelligent and informed reviewers have pointed out that the drugstore bottle is more in line with the cheaper 33 variety that came out later and offered a less IMPOSING scent, reducing its TRAJECTORY and POTENCY. The cheap drugstore frag in a plastic bottle, still brilliant packaging even for the 21st century, is certainly not what it used to be. But are we maybe better off for that? The Brut scent is somewhat of an acquired taste in my view, a bit Canoé but without the over blast of floral bombast. I have heard many negative comments about its ubiquity in its prime 60's-70's era from women, and most of them were quite dismissive and negative about how common-place and overpowering it was.
Still, one has to speak kindly to what it does. It's a $10 and under cologne that packs a generous punch and is certainly a viable option as an everyday splash aftershave and for home wear. I wouldn't recommend it for too many public outings, but the modern version has been toned down and certainly won't invoke as many negative reactions or private resentments from other public transportation passengers as it did back in its prime.
An old gentleman who still deserves our respect and tip of the hat, even if he isn't the man he used to be or maybe ever was.

Overall 6.1 (Scent 3.0/Longevity 6.0/Sillage 9.0/Originality-Intangibles 6.0/Value 6.5)
17th January, 2011 (last edited: 23rd February, 2011)
I personally like the smell of brut...sometimes. It use to be a favorite of mine until I started using Stetson. But then when I tried this again I was not as happy with it. But what ever the case, I never liked how brut seemed to have such a small ability to last. Its scent simply went away after an hour or two on me. But that was the american version made by Idelle labs. I tried the french version made by Unilever, it was alright, but i got comments saying "it smells like a public bathroom" and it did kinda smell like pee. Maybe I got a bad bottle, idk. So what is my view point on brut? Well, its a hit or miss, you might get a great smelling but not so long lasting scent, or you might get urine. So I enjoy the scent of the american one a bit more. I do however love the brut deodorant products. They are almost flawless. With that said, I like the smell of brut...sometimes.
12th October, 2010
Well, it's actually less spicy than Aramis.

I suspect, though I cannot prove it, that of all fragrances ever made Brut has had more jokes written about it from stand-up comics, playwrights and sketch writers.

I wish I could document this hypothesis.
19th July, 2008
paul Show all reviews
There seem to be two kinds of review in this section, those about the "new" Brut and those about some different stuff from the sixties.
The squarish shouldered Brut bottle has come into my possession (you will notice I did not say I paid money for it) It definitely does not contain the same stuff as the 60's and 70's which was way more powerful than this.
The "real" Brut(e!) is still readily available as Brut Classic for about £3.
I still don't like either of them.
You do not however have separate headings for them in the Faberge section.
02nd March, 2007
Getting more popular with the younger lads wanting some maturity, and so easy to source now all supermarkets stock it in the 'mans' section (not the males section, thats all hair products and sports sprays). I consider my brother a trendy london club goer, however i found some in his room recently, signifying its still ok to to wear Brut as a daily slap on, with something more posh for night outs.
My bottle got half used, then I realised stylish scents were something I was prepaired to inves tin, so used it to scent my turkish bath instead.

Buy it if you are can't afford proper cologne, but avoid it if you have £20-30 to spare every couple of months on something else not so disposable.
01st October, 2006
My connotations of Brut are so badly tainted, I could never enjoy it again. I'm remembering a guy we traveled with, in a bus, from South Carolina to the border of Mexico one hot, hot summer. Instead of bathing, he just dabbed more Brut on the more offensive areas. The smell now reminds me of unbathed hippies far more than patchouli oil ever could.
14th March, 2006
My father wore this one. The coolest thing about it was a special limited edition bottle they made in the early-mid 70s that was in the shape of a man's hand (to go along with their advertising campaign of slapping yourself in the face with it). I can't say I think much of the fragrance one way or the other, but I do remember that cool bottle (not a very helpful review, is it? let's hope it's at least amusingly nostalgic).
22nd February, 2006