Reviews of Black by Bulgari

Let me start with... I do like most of the Bulgari scents that I have owned or sampled... I find them pleasant and even a few AMAZING... This isn't one of them. The only thing that I smell is a "Rubbery" synthetic note that kills me. Instant headache... I did give it several wears before kicking it to a friend of mine who I believe is on his 4 bottle of this mess...
02nd June, 2016
Simple and low key with loads of sophisticated charisma. A really good bouqet with the right amounts of everything. Not manly and not girly. Just nice, so nice it could be all the cologne you'll ever need.
10th May, 2016
I couldn't understand how something described as smelling like rubber, glass, metal, etc could be a unisex fragrance but now that I'm wearing it today for the first time, I can totally see this being worn by women. I do get a little of the rubber note but it's mostly sweet vanilla, woods and a soft leather note on me. Feels refined, not loud or messy.
15th April, 2016

It is rubber and vanilla. Like going to a biker ice cream stand. And not luxurious leather but cheap rubbery leather. Nothing great about it. Not unpleasant and hence not a thumbs down. For the price it can be a blind bought. Don't expect to be swept off your feet
14th January, 2016
I bought a sample of this one partly because Turin says it's one of the best fragrances of all time in his book the "A-Z Guide to Perfume", and also partly because it's theme is supposed to be motorcycles and bikers, and biker/rocker guys with lots of long hair and tattoos and black leather are exactly what I usually love!
I'm sorry to say I actually don't like this scent! The amber-woody-musky-vanilla notes in the base remind me too much of "Angel", which I also never liked. And aside from that, the only other thing I can actually smell a lot of is freshly cracked black pepper. Weirdly, pepper isn't even listed as a note for Bvlgari "Black", but I swear, this smells like pepper to me! Sometimes I love that note in perfume, but unfortunately not in this one. :(
Also, I don't think I would even like this scent on a guy either. I just don't care for the way it smells! It's certainly unique and original, but it doesn't work for me.
12th November, 2015
My heart missed a beat when I received the news that this particular fragrance was not going to be available next to where I live. And when one had to know that I had the opportunity to buy it and bought A*Men instead, it is more painful to absorb.

Anyway, I found a way, in a local retailer and bought it blindly. It is magnificent, especially the Vanilla and Leather.

Thanks.
31st October, 2015
Bvlgari Black

BB is a very good masculine oriental whose appeal rests in its simplicity and subtleness.

Simply, it's a predominant vanilla tempered with a leathery powdered rubber note... all in a hockey puck bottle. What more can a guy want? Especially one that doesn't care for the way vanilla is used more often than not. Average strength / longevity and surprisingly not bad in the heat, providing you mind the triggerfinga.

BB, with Patchouli 24 and Jaipur Homme, rounds out my Annick Menardo trifecta.

I'm a 50+ average Joe living in the midwest U.S., for reference. fin 10/19/15

19th October, 2015
There isn't a single scent in the note tree that I don't love. It's like a magic list of things that should smell completely awesome when put together.

Too bad it doesn't work out that way. The fume of burnt rubber was so bad that within 10 minutes, I desperately scrubbed and scrubbed.

I drink lapsang souchong tea all winter long, and I can tell you, I wouldn't, if it stank like Bvlgari Black. I don't smell the slightest similarity.

Must be a chemistry thang.
18th October, 2015
I bought this fragnance immediatly after smelling it for the first time. I love it! I find the scent is more leathery than rubber, though I do detect some rubber
when I first spray it on. A soft masculine fragrance with smokey, leathery notes. Hints of florals and bitter vanilla. Easily worn by women and men. I was most surprised at how modern it smelled for a perfume from the late nineties. My only issue with this beautiful odour is the longevity. I have to really smell my skin at the 6 hour mark to detect it. Could it be because it is an eau de toilette? Regardless, even if it lasts only a short while, the beautiful scent is worth every second.
***Love the bottle too. It reminds me of a hockey puck***
16th September, 2015
hcr Show all reviews
The vanilla drydown on this is lovely. The tea/rubber note is very interesting, but just not quite enough to sell me on this. Price is pretty good, but I think this will stay in the sample pile. Definitely try a sample before you buy a bottle.
24th August, 2015
I wore this for several years and believe it went over well with many people who smelled it on me. It always smelled slightly more masculine to me, but a lot of girls I knew liked it a lot. It had a noticeable lapsang note that encapsulated the smoky, tarry quality Bvlgari wished to convey, accompanied by a vanilla smoothness that lingered for several hours.
02nd August, 2015
Salutation.

BLACK is one of those unforgettable fragrance that both men and women love it.It is a true classic that has a uncompromising level of spicy sexiness never seen by BVLGARI before and after it is release.It is unisex with but a prominent hint of masculine. Leathery, Warm,Animalistic, Sophisticated,Sweet, Fascinating, Passionate and Classy.

The opening is classic floral with a citrusy note by bergamot and also tea while cedar and sandalwood sensually intertwine with jasmine in the heart. luxurious musk,sensual vanilla and especially leather complement this sexy scent.it makes an air of sensual and if the opening is nice the dry down is really great for me.

BLACK BVLGARI is a mature scent that for someone who wants to smell sophisticated animalistic not a faint-hearted character.It is suitable for a Night out on the town.definitely for Cold weather. In conclusion if you have never tried this one,you don't know what you're missing.It is great no doubt about it.test it first.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?Pretty Good on my skin.

7.5/10
13th May, 2015
I owned Bvlgari Black when it first came out and used up my bottle over the course of a couple of years. I don't know why, but Black was my go to fragrance for any nice dinner for several years. The tea and leather just suit fine dining in my mind. I never replaced it when it ran out, probably because I now own other tea scents, but Black is in a class of it's own, IMO. I noticed Black for sale at a discount store the other day for less than $30. I'll probably pick it up next time I'm there and will definitely look forward to wearing it again.
21st April, 2015

One of my all-time favourites. Bulgari Black certainly suits either men or women and I can think of many niche or mainstream scents with far more challenging notes.

It opens with a green-toned citric/smoky vanilla which is mostly reminiscent of Lapsang Souchong tea (which in itself reminds me slightly of scorched tyres) so this is the tea aspect of Black. Some people have compared this citric/smoky vanilla with Shalimar and there is a sort of similarity but Black's top notes are much lighter, more diffuse and contemporary.

It feels slightly synthetic at first, and has what my male friend described as an 'urban night out' scent. Hang in there though, because into drydown you'll find hints of powder, like lightly scented talc, then into dry down it's a smoky/salty vanilla with a nice rose absolute underlying.

Just imagine a pot of Earl Grey Tea with a touch of smoky Lapsang Souchong, dark velvet rose petals floating on the surface and a nearby vanillic cupcake and you're close. Black actually has something in common with classic rose/chypres (almost like a high quality Elizabethan pou pourri) what makes it contemporary is the rubber smoke, tea and vanilla. All combine to create a unique and abstract effect

It's rightly regarded as a modern classic and I've never been without it since 2001! I sometimes wear it layered with rose otto, which lends a prettier edge. I think it's more typically masculine on opening, or on clothes, on skin and into drydown it's pretty in a kitten claws and fur way. Also, this has attracted more compliments form men than any of my other perfumes. If you're female and like perfume with an intriguing slightly darker edge it's great
12th February, 2015
Elzéard Show all reviews
I've tried it twice, and I can't remember it at all, other than that I remember it being okay.
16th December, 2014
It's o.k., maybe too sweet for me and I don't get the rubber smell. To me it's VERY similar to Versace's Dreamer
01st November, 2014
Smoky Tea & Leather... an Ultra-Modern classic!

Annick Menardo is a perfumer who is known for taking risks... she takes unusual combinations (like Liquorice in Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin and Eucalyptus in YSL's Body Kouros) and makes them somehow work... and smell good! Here Bvlgari has released an ultra-modern, "urban" style fragrance, with notes of Lapsang Souchong (a Chinese Black Tea smoked over pine wood), and Leather... to create a "rubber" smell. This is followed by sandalwood, jasmine, and a lot of Vanilla.

I would describe this as a challenging fragrance for some people, but it's very clever. In the same way that people get a "gasoline" or "petrol" vibe from Dior Fahrenheit (of course no such note exists, it's actually a combination between violet leaf and leather). In much the same way, a similar "trick" has been achieved here. There is no "rubber" in the notes, because if you have ever had Lapsang Souchong Tea, you will recognise the smell immediately. The smell of this black tea, combined with the leather, is what gives the impression of "rubber". This theme extends to the bottle, which is partly covered by rubber around the edges, to give the impression of car tires. The bottle itself is a work of art, like most of Bvlgari's bottles, which can only come from a company that is primarily a jewellery designer.

The smell... Upon initial application, you get tea and leather, with some bitter bergamot, this is what gives a feeling of "rubber" in the opening. But then after a few minutes the sandalwood, rose and jasmine appear, before being joined by a wonderful sweet vanilla note which stays until the end. It's both leathery and woody, with the sandalwood and cedarwood giving it longevity in the base. I would describe the projection as "soft" and although it lasts a long time... it mostly stays close to the skin, so people will smell you by getting closer (perfect for intimate occasions).

It's taken me a while to appreciate this fragrance, and different wearings with an open mind. Now I notice the tea note (a note which is very popular in many fragrances by Bvlgari). I think this can be worn by men or women, as it's very unisex. But I think it needs confidence to wear if worn by a lady, as the leather note is quite strong in the beginning.

Overall, it's quite a unique fragrance... and I'm sad to learn that it's now discontinued. But I would suggest anyone to try it as to me it's a very "clever" fragrance which is able to be unusual, modern and sexy all at the same time! I love trying unique fragrances... and Bvlgari Black is one of the best examples offered in the "designer" market.
27th October, 2014
Very good juice from Bvgari. I searched for this high and low at Ross and was very happy when I purchased it. It's everything I expected from Bvgari with a scent of rubber vanilla, tea, and jasmine. Buy the biggest one you can find. Can definitely be an everyday scent and is unisex but you can tell this is geared towards a man. Very light and very safe with a little bit of driving through a red light.
06th October, 2014
Smells just l like an old band -aid. I am not fond of this scent at all. I gave it away. It was a blind buy.
23rd July, 2014
The rubber and tea top was delightful. But on me it rapidly turned to a very sweet, artificial vanilla. And it was tenacious. Just too sweet for me.
But interesting.
03rd July, 2014
I first encountered this scent in Claiborne's rip-off, entitled Realities. Would that it were so.

Despite the absolute adamance from both Turin and Herman that this reeks of "Hot Rubber," I find no olfactory reference to that note at all.

This is a dark, powdery, tea and tar-laden leather with cedar undertones, supported by a sweet amber. As such it is first and foremost a "leather."

I suppose it does deserve Turin's five stars for originality. The artificial sense of chemicals being predominant never gave me the plastic vibe, just a tiresome dry down after all the whistles and bells.

Turin again is carried away by putting this in a category with such classics as Bandid, Cabochard and Tabac Blond. No, No, a thousand times no.

Clever and original, yes. Desirable, no, not for me - but for other tastes, yes, worthy!
24th June, 2014
Genre: Leather

Has my nose changed, or has Bvlgari Black? Both, I suspect. Here's what I had to say a while back, based, I am ashamed to say, on my memory of Black from an earlier date:

"Audacious and original when it first appeared, but I'm afraid it's been surpassed in my book by many of the smoky leather scents that have come after it. Admirable, I suppose, but no longer all that exciting."

I recently tried Black again, just for kicks, and now I have a different impression. I hardly notice the notorious burnt rubber note. I can't even smell the tea. All I pick up now is the most cloying - even choking - powdery vanilla I've experienced in years. These days I'd turn to Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia for a taste of what Black used to be...and sadly, I'm again having to punt the puck.
09th June, 2014
Burned rubber with sweet and sensual vanilla in the bottle! :d
Start with dark and smoky scent of leather and black tea and some sweetness from vanilla.
The leather in this fragrance smells like a burned rubber! I think the smoky leather and black tea combo giving us this burned rubber vibe.
In the dry down and base, the burned rubber vibe is still there with very sensual and delicious scent of vanilla and musk.
Great balance between smoky and sweet notes.
Good longevity but it doesn't project well.
It's a unique and great fragrance with amazing look bottle.
10th May, 2014
bmn Show all reviews
Rubber, but not the type of rubber of a car tire; More like the less grippy, smoother plasticy rubber used in trim. Somehow this then reminds me of anise and the smell of Diesel Fuel for Life, slightly rootbeer-like as the rubbery smell fades or my nose accommodates to it -- the smell of bonded black leather mixed with vanilla. This certainly gets better with extended wear time but I don't imagine I'd reach for it over others in my collection. This is definitely not a blind-buy safe scent.
26th March, 2014
Well, it certainly contains a sort-of burnt rubber accord that I actually wish was a bit more prominent. The note doesn't dissipate as much as the vanilla completely envelopes the other notes.

Maybe my sinuses and the cold weather have contributed poorly to my ability to detect the scent, but it also seems that the sillage is rather poor. Longevity seems to be mediocre, extending as far as 6 hours before taking a nosedive into nothing territory.

Randy's Rundown: Take a notably synthetic vanilla bean body wash, cook something indian inspired after applying it, and then perform an oil change on your car. Three days later, the remnant scent on your clothing may match what Bvgalri Black has got going on here.

Meh.
20th January, 2014
I like many of Annick Menardo's creations an own several, but I can't get past the powerful tire-shop smell of this one as it opens up. The drydown becomes more pleasant, smooth and Vanillic, but for me, the opening kills it. Reeking of a fresh Firestone tire doesn't appeal to me, even for a little while. I blind-bought a 1.3 oz. on close-out for about $15 and I actually consider it a blind-buy failure.
12th January, 2014
Smoked tea

In the Bulgari line-up are quite some tea scents, one of them is BLACK, evoking the smell of Lapsang Souchong, a Chinese black tea dried over pine wood smoke, a note which is very dominant in this perfume.

This smoky note, also identified as rubber or tire, stays on strong for a long while until the vanilla note shows in the dry down and and adds a slight sweetness and powdery touch. I do not get any floral notes.

It is very suitable for summer and humid climate as it does not fade so easily as other perfumes and I wonder if the humidity amplifies the smoked tea note.

Pros: Smoky tea note, great longvity
Cons:

12th October, 2013
The bottled energy of a global city

Overall rating: * * * * * (masterpiece)

Bvlgari Black is New York (or any other global metropolis, really) in a bottle. Hot pavement, steam rising from the subway, ambient sweet food smells, and...noise. Yes, a fragrance can have a sound, and the sound of Bvlgari Black is the din of the city at lunchtime.

It took me a couple of wearings to fall in love with Bvlgari; my first reaction was negative: "Hot Rubber? In a fragrance? Is this some kind of joke?" The sensation was not unlike listening to Achtung Baby for the first time many years ago. I thought my stereo was broken! At any rate, BIack has become one of my top 10 fragrances of all time. Totally energizing, stimulating, sexy--a scent that, like a big city, is all about possibilities and self-transformation/self-invention.

A brief word about the nose behind Black, Annick Menardo. This fragrance is the crowing achievement of her remarkable career. It has her signature drydown (familiar to wearers of Jaipur) of spiced vanilla and musk. I can only imagine how magnificent this must have been back before IFRA began treating oakmoss as a schedule 1 controlled substance.

If you love your nose and believe that anything is possible in life, you need to try Bvlgari Black. It is a masterpiece

Pros: The perfect Annick Mendardo drydown
Cons: none"

26th August, 2013
Hot sweet rubber

I own 2 bottles now what a masterpiece.

Direct hit in my top 10 of all time designers scents!
This one keeps up the hype imo. Remember its made in 1998 or (1997) !! And i think this one has no flankers (besides the recent mip from vcanda)
It fascinates me for its rubber vanilla and tea mixture which blends perfect on my skin
The most urban street car called desire scent i ever smelled
As other reviews state its like a cartrack in hot summer with the smell of burned tires, asphalt and ladies walking around with a vanilla swirl , its just like how Tombraiders Lara Croft would smell like! Very masculine in the opening with a slightly feminine twist but you sure need to be a woman with balls ( not for Mary Poppins types ;-)
This scent sprayed on your body will swirl around your chest all day long heated up on skin oozing a sultry delight of deep class with balls .
Longevity is good and sillage is average to good
A masterpiece and timeless!

Pros: Unique and mindblowing
Cons:

25th August, 2013
unique

Fantastic scent, as stated by many here. Wish the drydown was stronger, though. A little too subtle for this powerhouse aficionado.

02nd August, 2013