Reviews of Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Find out more about Bulgari Black by Bulgari in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

christiangrey12's avatar

Smells just l like an old band -aid. I am not fond of this scent at all. I gave it away. It was a blind buy.

23 July, 2014

sunny82's avatar

The rubber and tea top was delightful. But on me it rapidly turned to a very sweet, artificial vanilla. And it was tenacious. Just too sweet for me.
    But interesting.

03 July, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

I first encountered this scent in Claiborne's rip-off, entitled Realities. Would that it were so.

Despite the absolute adamance from both Turin and Herman that this reeks of "Hot Rubber," I find no olfactory reference to that note at all.

This is a dark, powdery, tea and tar-laden leather with cedar undertones, supported by a sweet amber. As such it is first and foremost a "leather."

I suppose it does deserve Turin's five stars for originality. The artificial sense of chemicals being predominant never gave me the plastic vibe, just a tiresome dry down after all the whistles and bells.

Turin again is carried away by putting this in a category with such classics as Bandid, Cabochard and Tabac Blond. No, No, a thousand times no.

Clever and original, yes. Desirable, no, not for me - but for other tastes, yes, worthy!

24 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Has my nose changed, or has Bvlgari Black? Both, I suspect. Here's what I had to say a while back, based, I am ashamed to say, on my memory of Black from an earlier date:

"Audacious and original when it first appeared, but I'm afraid it's been surpassed in my book by many of the smoky leather scents that have come after it. Admirable, I suppose, but no longer all that exciting."

I recently tried Black again, just for kicks, and now I have a different impression. I hardly notice the notorious burnt rubber note. I can't even smell the tea. All I pick up now is the most cloying - even choking - powdery vanilla I've experienced in years. These days I'd turn to Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia for a taste of what Black used to be...and sadly, I'm again having to punt the puck.

09 June, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Burned rubber with sweet and sensual vanilla in the bottle! :d
    Start with dark and smoky scent of leather and black tea and some sweetness from vanilla.
    The leather in this fragrance smells like a burned rubber! I think the smoky leather and black tea combo giving us this burned rubber vibe.
    In the dry down and base, the burned rubber vibe is still there with very sensual and delicious scent of vanilla and musk.
    Great balance between smoky and sweet notes.
    Good longevity but it doesn't project well.
    It's a unique and great fragrance with amazing look bottle.

10th May, 2014

bmn's avatar

Rubber, but not the type of rubber of a car tire; More like the less grippy, smoother plasticy rubber used in trim. Somehow this then reminds me of anise and the smell of Diesel Fuel for Life, slightly rootbeer-like as the rubbery smell fades or my nose accommodates to it -- the smell of bonded black leather mixed with vanilla. This certainly gets better with extended wear time but I don't imagine I'd reach for it over others in my collection. This is definitely not a blind-buy safe scent.

26 March, 2014

randydjack's avatar

Well, it certainly contains a sort-of burnt rubber accord that I actually wish was a bit more prominent. The note doesn't dissipate as much as the vanilla completely envelopes the other notes.

Maybe my sinuses and the cold weather have contributed poorly to my ability to detect the scent, but it also seems that the sillage is rather poor. Longevity seems to be mediocre, extending as far as 6 hours before taking a nosedive into nothing territory.

Randy's Rundown: Take a notably synthetic vanilla bean body wash, cook something indian inspired after applying it, and then perform an oil change on your car. Three days later, the remnant scent on your clothing may match what Bvgalri Black has got going on here.

Meh.

20th January, 2014

Don Corleone's avatar

I like many of Annick Menardo's creations an own several, but I can't get past the powerful tire-shop smell of this one as it opens up. The drydown becomes more pleasant, smooth and Vanillic, but for me, the opening kills it. Reeking of a fresh Firestone tire doesn't appeal to me, even for a little while. I blind-bought a 1.3 oz. on close-out for about $15 and I actually consider it a blind-buy failure.

12 January, 2014

Captain's avatar

This isn't love/hate, it's boring, bland and innocuous. No rubber, no leather, all I get is vanilla huh. I'm so sad, it's nothing special. I seriously wanted burnt rubber!

06 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2014)

citypark's avatar

Smoked tea

In the Bulgari line-up are quite some tea scents, one of them is BLACK, evoking the smell of Lapsang Souchong, a Chinese black tea dried over pine wood smoke, a note which is very dominant in this perfume.

This smoky note, also identified as rubber or tire, stays on strong for a long while until the vanilla note shows in the dry down and and adds a slight sweetness and powdery touch. I do not get any floral notes.

It is very suitable for summer and humid climate as it does not fade so easily as other perfumes and I wonder if the humidity amplifies the smoked tea note.

Pros: Smoky tea note, great longvity
    Cons:

12 October, 2013

lairdangus's avatar

The bottled energy of a global city

Overall rating: * * * * * (masterpiece)

Bvlgari Black is New York (or any other global metropolis, really) in a bottle. Hot pavement, steam rising from the subway, ambient sweet food smells, and...noise. Yes, a fragrance can have a sound, and the sound of Bvlgari Black is the din of the city at lunchtime.

It took me a couple of wearings to fall in love with Bvlgari; my first reaction was negative: "Hot Rubber? In a fragrance? Is this some kind of joke?" The sensation was not unlike listening to Achtung Baby for the first time many years ago. I thought my stereo was broken! At any rate, BIack has become one of my top 10 fragrances of all time. Totally energizing, stimulating, sexy--a scent that, like a big city, is all about possibilities and self-transformation/self-invention.

A brief word about the nose behind Black, Annick Menardo. This fragrance is the crowing achievement of her remarkable career. It has her signature drydown (familiar to wearers of Jaipur) of spiced vanilla and musk. I can only imagine how magnificent this must have been back before IFRA began treating oakmoss as a schedule 1 controlled substance.

If you love your nose and believe that anything is possible in life, you need to try Bvlgari Black. It is a masterpiece

Pros: The perfect Annick Mendardo drydown
    Cons: none"

26 August, 2013

MrMookie's avatar

Hot sweet rubber

I own 2 bottles now what a masterpiece.

Direct hit in my top 10 of all time designers scents!
    This one keeps up the hype imo. Remember its made in 1998 or (1997) !! And i think this one has no flankers (besides the recent mip from vcanda)
    It fascinates me for its rubber vanilla and tea mixture which blends perfect on my skin
    The most urban street car called desire scent i ever smelled
    As other reviews state its like a cartrack in hot summer with the smell of burned tires, asphalt and ladies walking around with a vanilla swirl , its just like how Tombraiders Lara Croft would smell like! Very masculine in the opening with a slightly feminine twist but you sure need to be a woman with balls ( not for Mary Poppins types ;-)
    This scent sprayed on your body will swirl around your chest all day long heated up on skin oozing a sultry delight of deep class with balls .
    Longevity is good and sillage is average to good
    A masterpiece and timeless!

Pros: Unique and mindblowing
    Cons:

25 August, 2013

knightowl's avatar

unique

Fantastic scent, as stated by many here. Wish the drydown was stronger, though. A little too subtle for this powerhouse aficionado.

02 August, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar

A serious journey

The journey of this fragrance is amazing. There really is not much more I can say that has not been said about the initial blast of rubber; very industrial, yet satisfying. It totally changes in the dry down and finally becomes a vanilla sweet fragrance with an lingering woody note. In fact, the wood note smells a good deal like the wood in Givenchy Play; heresy I know, as that is seen as a very generic fragrance by many. I actually find them very similar at about an hour or so in, with the Play being lighter and perhaps better for hot weather.

21st July, 2013

Birdboy48's avatar

Like it or not, a Must-Smell Classic

At around 250 reviews and counting, it's hard to say much that's new about what had to have been one of the more astonishing introductions of it's time. Although the novelty may have worn off for some, it's still modern, and quality juice, and something anyone who hopes to claim a knowledge of fragrance...or the history of fragrance...really owes it to themselves to smell.

Inexpensive as well, and comes in a bottle that may yet to be matched in it's originality.

Personally I like it a lot, and wear it with some frequency, if only for the amazement of the thing.

Pros: Historic, and nothing else quite like it.
    Cons: You may not like it.

18 June, 2013

And-Or's avatar

A.I. Sex Robot, 2072

I'm totally new to fragrance, and I'm hunting for a signature as well as 2-3 occasionals. This has signature potential but for now all I know for sure is it's on the buy list. The moment I whiffed this it was instantly on the politely-ask-for-more-samples-than-you're-allowed list. It was the weirdest thing I had sprayed. It was warm, broody and a little confusing.

Then I read up about it here. "Arson at the Local Auto-Parts" That can't be… I'm a tea drinker who never uses sweetener, so surely I'd see this rubber for the natural earthy tea that it really is? Nah. No fondness for roasty oxidized teas can deny that this smells like rubber. But I can gladly assert that this is not burnt rubber. I don't get an acrid cancer causing fume. Just clean delicious rubber. The sex-bots of 2072 will be modeled after the bio-human specimens from earlier that century who wore Bvlgari Black.

It dries down sweetly and sensually (without spices) but keeps a strange mechanical edge. That's not to say the notes themselves seem synthetic. Think of the current trend in furniture where clean modern techno-shapes are made of reclaimed wood and oiled bronze. The components are natural and tactile even though the overall form points forward. I went into this venture expecting to hate anything that didn't seem earthy and natural. I really like Bvlgari Black despite the fact that it makes me feel like a robot. But this isn't for programed robots (they wear sport fragrances — oh! just kidding!), this is for robots that generate new ideas and were constructed at the molecular level using bio-mimic algorithms on organic compounds. They have as much free will as natural-humans.

: ::edit:: :

After wearing my generous sample a few times I now I feel like it dries down a little too powdery and feminine. It's still a very nice powdery-feminine and definitely something I don't mind wearing and enjoy smelling on myself — the problem is the sweetie-pie mood of the dry-down is such a contrast to the weird edgy opening and middle that it's a bit schizophrenic. The chance that it'll synch up with your mood on both ends of the wear might be rare. Just something to be aware of. If you spray it at night to go out the angelic dry-down might be good for waking up in a semi-stranger's bed and having a morning cuddle. But if you're in a broody mood and you spray this in the morning, there's a chance that by late afternoon you'll feel a little misrepresented unless you undergo a mood swing.

Pros: futuristic sexy warm gender-balanced
    Cons: schizophrenic

12 June, 2013

ojaddicte's avatar

This scent on my skin opens with a scent of burnt rubber which quickly subsides into a warm, cozy vanilla with tea accents. I love it. My husband adores it on me. Definitely a love or hate fragrance.

14 May, 2013

UKisGR8's avatar

Being a fan of Midnight in Paris, I was pointed in the direction of Bulgari Black. I blind bought this at a safe price of $22 for the 1.3 ounce puck. Let me just say, after 2 wears that I am glad I bought it and the rubber note is what I like most about the fragrance. Some people will tell you to apply the fragrance and then wait 30 or 40 minutes to let the rubber note settle but the opening may be my favorite stage. I like Bulgari Black all the way through and my only complaint is that I have only gotten 6 hours out of it both times I've worn it... but that's ok because I can reapply and get the opening I like so much.

You won't get a big projection out of this fragrance but I guarantee that if someone comes in contact with you that you will receive a compliment. I don't see how Bulgari Black could be offensive to anyone past the opening considering the Vanilla is what shines most, even with the rubber note taking a big back seat in the dry down.

Big Thumbs up.

11th May, 2013

Bal a Versailles's avatar

My partner doesn't like it on me. That's a statement of fact, not anything to be swayed by. Is this the ultimate Terminator perfume? Is there an inner Sarah Connor to me?... don't think so. But, my friends, there it is, the machine and the human, all rolled into one staggeringly discombobulated scent. Fight or flight? There's the lumbering backdrop of CRC, the constant feeling of pursuit, the roar of the engine, all leavened by the vanillac loss of innocence. Bvlgari Black, the Terminator. It's pure Science Fiction. Total Recall. Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, McCaffery, Le Quin, Feist, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis. I get the vibe.
    There will be days like these, we are told. I will wear Bvlgari Black

02 May, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2013)

onaluna's avatar

This has one of the coolest bottles ever. And a great name. I expected so much.

The rubber note is tame and short-lived, and then it mellows out to a bland. musky vanilla.

18 April, 2013

Card Board's avatar

Germany Germany

I've given this several wears, but it just doesn’t work on my skin. No burning rubber (thankfully) but also no smoke, wood, vanilla, etc. On me this is just an inoffensive and slightly floral soapy/powdery scent, which, after two hours, yields a tiny hint of vanilla and/or amber. On the whole, it is more "light pink" than "black." Allowing that this is a problem of chemistry, I won't give this more or less than a sideways thumb. I am very confused as to how my impression of this scent is so markedly at odds with so many of the other reviews. It’s a shame, because based on the stated notes, and many of these reviews, this should have been wonderful for me. (Oddly, the same thing happened with Lonestar Memories.)

22 March, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

Don't know where all the love comes from...vanilla and amber, very generic people equate the combination with rubber, but I don't smell it.

27 January, 2013

's avatar

Synthetic black rubber with a little vanilla to soften it up. Longevity lacks. I don't hate this scent but I don't grab for this one a whole either.

21st January, 2013

Smelly Beast's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Since there's nothing new to say about this masterpiece, I decided just to pay an homage.

I got my first bottle of this elixir from my mother, she bought it and hate it! but for me it was love at first sniff, that glorious dark sweetness, the rubbery leather note and the ambery dry down. That was so intriguing to me, I had never smelled a fragrance like that before! And it became my signature to go out at night. I was a bit shy to rock it because I was a kid and didn't know there was such thing as a unisex fragrance but I wore it anyway regardless of what people might think. Lucky me!

I still have this old bottle (whit the on and off turning cap) the juice became thick and dark just like an extrait and I wear it some times at night to feel cozy and remember of old times...

15 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

For me, Bulgari Black is a tremendous work of conceptual art. The essence of the great cities in a jar. If you let that note dissipate burning rubber, you will enjoy an exquisite drying. Yes, not a perfume of great projection, sticks to the skin but leaving notice.

22 December, 2012

jcw122's avatar

Simply horrendous. The smell of rubber tires ground up for playgrounds has always made me nauseous, and it's no different with Bulgari Black. First thoughts upon smelling, "What is this...I don't even..."

The sad thing is all the other notes are actually really nice...but the rubber...whyyyyyy??!

17 December, 2012

's avatar

Sexy and sweet leather that sometimes smells like burnt rubber. Classic and innovative. I only wish it had more lasting power. Unisex. Worth it.

02 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

I recently submitted a review giving this one a negative review. Wearing this for a few days, I see that this is a good frag. The rubber note is not bad at all. It hangs around for about a half an hour or so. After that the vanilla and amber take over leaving a slightly sweet scent. The longevity is not all that good (About 4 hours). WARNING: This one is for the confident only.

16 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 October, 2012)

Preston H's avatar

I been wearing this off and on for 10 years and its just as good now as it was then. It's so sexy and modern an initial herbal/floral mix that gives way to a woody, ambery vanilla dry down. This stuff is electric its one of the only designers that smells like it can easily be niche. The only knock on this is the bottle, I absolutely hate the bottle, when you spray it half gets on the bottle, the other half on ur skin unless you hold it at a perfect angle. They've made improvements over the years but the bottle still sucks

12 October, 2012

wormstir's avatar

Bvlgari Black is a pleasant scent, with a linear drydown. It is a smooth and warm citrus, amber, vanilla and musk mixture. It is very soft, smooth and classy, but ultimately boring. I just get citrus, amber and musk, it doesnt go anywhere for me and doesn't have any stand out features, unsure as to all the hype it gets

08 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 November, 2012)