Reviews of Byblos Uomo (original) by Byblos

Find out more about Byblos Uomo (original) by Byblos in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Darvant's avatar

The first blast is a fizzy and sparkling whiff of citrus (the main role is played by orange) and aromatic green notes. This phase is pungent, herbal and refreshing with a dynamic note of jasmine soaring in the air. A strong and "corporeal" (sweaty/pheromonical-like) note of patchouli starts in a while to get the scene when the initial splashing cocktail slides towards a woodsy base which is a touch spicy, deep in taste of fruit and above all musky. The musk is cool and smooth, without the animal feel and is a perfect final element for this sporting concoction. A nice scent for sport activity and as energizer after shower.

20th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 03rd September, 2014)

TropiRock's avatar

This cologne always has an odd reaction on my body, rather dry, but certainly clean. It doesn’t smell synthetic to me – just the opposite – it smells like a mix of natural herbs. The opening has a brief whiff of citrus, and then the herbs begin to awaken. For the longest time, a strong bottom note seemed strange to me, but I couldn’t place the smell and then it finally occurred: it smells like celery! Perhaps this is the combination of other herbs (thyme, tarragon and so forth). I wouldn’t necessarily mind that note, but it is just too strong.

26th March, 2010

rach2jlc's avatar

I'm with chris-p on this one. It's not a terrible scent, but smells very synthetic and all blends together to smell like metallic floor cleaner. Not sad that it is discontinued; there are any number of "designer" scents out there that give a spicy, fresh, citrus scent better and don't have the odd note attached.

03rd December, 2006

JimInCO's avatar

A power scent for me. Very professional and alluringly clean. Not strong per se but wickedly fresh! It is not like they typical fruity sweet scents predominant in the marketplace. A must have for the intrigue this arouses.

14th August, 2005

Connoisseur's avatar

Byblos has a floor cleaner citrus scent to it that blends very strangely with the jasmine note, mixing to an unusual sparkling grape-like smell. The top notes dry down to a very soapy, floral fragrance which is very unique and somewhat pleasant. Best about 30 minutes after sraying.

28th October, 2003

chris-p's avatar

Although I originally got this scent because I found there was something very distinctive about it, I find it has an odd cold , sour metallic note to it that turns me off. It is a citrussy scent that to me could be worn all year round because it has a lot of depth for a citrussy scent. Funny thing is I got tons of compliments while wearing it. People said it suited me well and was original smelling. However I just can't get past that odd note. Perhaps I should give it another try someday.

26th November, 2002