Reviews of Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

Find out more about Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

One of the best masculine Fougere scents a of all times. I grew up surrounded by beautiful men who wore this perfume in the 80's. I fully understood the reactions that it caused amongst men and women...

Try and get the vintage version if you can and you will really appreciate this Beauty. It will make you leave niche stuff.

If you can't find it, try Nebula 2 by Oliver Valverde as there are some similarities.

Fantastic Longevity & Sillage

Triple Thumbs up!

14 August, 2014

Redbeard's avatar

This is serious stuff...starts out leathery with sweet floral undertones, maybe geranium? It's a bit like Aramis but with more foliage and less musk. It soon turns really dirty and earthy, like a darker Yatagan, with lots of pine sap...very Paul Bunyan outdoorsy. After a while, though, things start to get musty and even rubbery, like the smell of an engine that's been running hot, or insulation on hot wires. Somehow this component gives it a coolness that complements what would otherwise be a purely wintery scent, but it also leaves a medicinal edge that I don't like. Granted I'm not the biggest leather scent fan, but I tried Parfum d'Habit a few years ago and was much more impressed in terms of both realism and easy wearability.

11th August, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Cacharel pour Homme opens with a galactic blast of odd, spicy, synthetic plushy notes floating on a sci-fi base accord of milky woods. Spicy whiteness from the future, I can't believe this comes from 1981 – it smells more like a post-2000s experimental/clean synthetic scent à la Helmut Lang (or actually à la Cacharel themselves – think of Nemo). Plummy and almost fruity, clean like our Italian "Appretto" (that spray you use for ironing) but also permeated by a dark grey aura all over. Dusty-sweet base with balmy notes, flowers and woods, and on top, a massive breeze of cloves and nutmeg. This scent is complex indeed, a lot of contrasting notes and accords are here: but somehow, they work perfectly together. Miles away from any typical "canon" of its era, a crazy scent for sure. The opening is a bit strong because of the spicy-medicinal accord, but once it softens, the woods take over and surprisingly Cacharel pour Homme becomes something really, really similar to Gucci pour Homme I (so keep it in mind as a cheaper alternative to that!). One of the most modern, futuristic and avantgarde vintage scents I've ever owned. Daring and beautiful!

8,5/10

06 August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

I love nutmeg. Cacharel pour l’Homme is chock full o’ “nutmeg.” I can’t stand Cacharel pour l’Homme. Through some dark miracle of science Cacharel pour l'Homme makes nutmeg reek like chemical fumes. I urge anybody who confuses this miasma with the real spice to grate themselves some nutmeg, then (gingerly) sniff Cacharel pour l'Homme.

I love many big, bold scents: Or Black, Kouros, Black Aoud, Knize Ten, Bandit, Musc Ravageur, Havana, Amouage Gold, Yatagan…the list goes on. Cacharel pour l’Homme is big and bold. It’s also loud, harsh, and crude, and its mere presence in the room distracts me from my work and curbs my appetite. Whenever I smell Cacharel pour l’Homme I wish its sillage, strength, and longevity were all much less.

I have found a new nemesis. Its name is Cacharel pour l’Homme.

11th June, 2014

k e i t h's avatar

Cacharel pl'h,

Very unique stuff. Strangely, I don't get a lot of nutmeg from this. It is there, but just enough to keep you wanting more. The top notes fade quickly on my skin. Within minutes actually, which is a shame. On clothes they stay put much longer 3-4 hours. I notice a similarity to Dunhill's edition (1984) before the drydown occurs. After the top citrus notes fade out I am left with a very woody smell. This is where cacharel pl'h becomes so unique. It reminds me of fresh cut lumber and sawdust, as if I was working in a woodshop cutting 2x4's all day with a chop saw. After an hour or so, cedar is what is left. I do think it is worthy of being in a collection with anyone who appreciates classic men's fragrance. Its a shame that the new juice seems to have been severely neutered. despite that, it does still have that 80's timeless feel to it. I would love to have a vintage bottle in my collection. 1981 was my favorite year in terms of men's frag releases. This will never be a Kouros or Antaeus, but I find myself grabbing this bottle almost as much.

After wearing this frag a while, I notice that in order for my nose to get the nutmeg burst, I find that I must spray a couple more times than I am used to (4-5), on clothes.

Pros: unique,
    Cons: top notes are just too fleeting on my skin

01st February, 2014 (Last Edited: 26 February, 2014)

ferdinand_the_imposter's avatar

Classic everyday/evening romantic masculine

Sophisticated feminine floral opening, ginger masculine drydown. Out of fashion, hard to get (bar online) but popular with ladies.

Fans will also like LTPiver (stronger ginger, no floral opening).

Pros: Drowsy floral turns nutmeg stayer.
    Cons: Rarely on shelves. Has it really been defanged/reformulated?"

25 September, 2013

MrMookie's avatar

Ahead of its time

Vintage juice.

I used a lot of bottles in the 80's and 90's this is one of my holy grails.

Where are the people now who created scents like these??
    I never get that WOW WHATS THAT SMELL feeling anymore these days scents all are clones of eachother
    safe in corner sitting to get bought and sprayed on and smell ok... i like most but love a few,
    And this one i love deeply..

This one TRULY tells me a story! its warm,dark and sophisticated its Autumn when leaves are falling and people are preparing for winter.
    Thick coats and shawles walking with your girl in an old city when the winter scents kicks in chimney smells from the houses...

This scent makes me happy!
    Its Warmth in a bottle

Pros: Nothing like it.
    Cons:

12 September, 2013

Bartlebooth's avatar

The most recent version of L’homme comes with a new vessel design; the faux metal skirt that was originally below the waist of the bottle has now been hitched up beneath the collar. No doubt this has been done to show off the scars and stitches from the castration that Cacharel have inflicted. This act of perfume barbarism has silenced the glorious nutmeg note to little more than a whisper. The interminable, but charming nutmeg was always its main selling point, and now that is has been diminished, any real reason for ownership has been extinguished.

Scarcely has the difference between an original and a reformulation been greater, so do yourself a favour, wear out some cyber shoe leather and seek out the original.

Pros: None
    Cons: Sillage and Longevity

26 August, 2013 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2014)

fleurie's avatar

A discreet spicy scent of the 80s

One of my first and still a favourite. Not overwhelming, not too sweet, nor pretentious. A nice and whispy lemony zing with geraniums, sage and amber somewhere in the details. The spicy nutmeg tone is what lingers the most. Wish they promoted the sage a bit more. Overall, something I wear just for myself and not to attract any bees.

Pros: Love the nutmeg and bergamot
    Cons: Shame it doesn't have a lasting effect

01st July, 2013

AAddict's avatar

Pure unadulterated class in a bottle. I just received the EDT of this today for a crazy £13.50 from debenhams. The memories it brings back are strong. The scent is just as beautiful as I remember, last and projects well. It's my first day wearing it this decade and already had numerous compliments.

30th April, 2013

Oscroft's avatar

I love this for all the reasons people have already suggested. But I see very few mentioning the delightful vetiver note, which comes through when the citrus notes are starting to fade - it really is the icing on the cake for me.

03 March, 2013

Cevin1's avatar

I have worn this for years. Great fragrance. Unfortunately, my sister likes wearing it as well and swoops in and uses my bottle as often as she can. She says "well it says it's "For Men" so I'll wear it "for men." Funny. Imagine me going to get Organza and walking out the door with that on.

26 February, 2013

drseid's avatar

Cacharel pour L'Homme (vintage) opens with a very nice bergamot open before quickly switching to a natural cedar wood and lemon tandem. Joining the woods and lemon in the heart of the scent is an almost cinnamon-like nutmeg that starts off as a supporting note, but as time passes gets stronger and stronger until the lemon completely fades and the cedar now acts in support of the now dominant nutmeg in the latter heart phase of the scent. Oakmoss, fir and musk round out the key base notes now joining the remaining cedar as the nutmeg finally recedes during the sublime musk-laced woody dry-down. Projection is average and longevity is below average to average.

Cacharel pour L'Homme (vintage) was a complete surprise, and all to the positive. When I first applied it on skin I immediately was impressed, but its early woody lemon transition from the initial bergamot seemed to come out of nowhere, reminding me of what I hoped I would have smelled with Monsieur Balmain but instead found it a bit too synthetic when I tried it versus the much more natural and sophisticated woody lemon exhibited here. Just when I got used to enjoying that lemon and wood tandem, again the scent took yet another turn in transitioning to a spicy nutmeg scent before its final transition in the final stage of the scent's development to its cedar musk and fir dominant dry-down. Each phase is so well-defined and truly outstanding in both smell and execution by the parfumier Gerard Goupy. Its bottle may look more than a bit dated, but Carcharel pour L'Homme (vintage) is an absolutely timeless amazing smelling classic that is well-deserving of its "near masterpiece" 4.5 stars out of 5 rating. This one is a "must buy" in my book.

12 October, 2012

Slayerized's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

This fragrance opens as said with a lot of nutmeg but turns into something quite beautiful and sophisticated after 10 mins already! When the citrus and flowers start kicking in this scent is very hard to resist! It smells unique, sophisticated, chic and very masculine! This frag is pretty versatile as it is good for office, casual and formal but mainly indoors, imol! It turns into a close to the skin scent after an hour but it's not a cloying scent so it can be applied liberally to extend sillage and longevity which are average to me (6 hrs).
    It is a big mistery to me that this gem gets bashed by Turin in The Guide by giving it only one lousy star! To me it's excellent, timeless, unique, for the real man and many thumbs up! Rated: 9/10

01st September, 2012

bFlay's avatar

Bought this after sampling at boutique...exceptional fragrance! Rich spicy heart that is introduced by subtle citrus and lavender notes. Mellows to soft woods and more gourmand type spices. Sophisticated and delightful. Only negative is very short wear...it breaks down and dissipates in less than 4-5 hrs. But while it's singing its soulful tune it is incredibly intriguing!

02 June, 2012

Naed_Nitram's avatar

"The King of Spain's daughter asked to marry me / All for the sake of my little nutmeg tree."

Truth to tell, Your Majesty, I was wearing Cacharel Pour L'Homme" at the time, so how could she resist? After a while, she took to wearing it as well.

24 November, 2011

Woodlover's avatar

I really love this one — maybe because it is my first perfume I used regularly.
    I got a little sample as a gift about 20 years ago and was instantly intrigued by the unusual scent somewhere in between wood, flowers, sparkling and yet somehow soft and comforting, not very masculine (in the raw aftershave-type of masculinity) but still manly enough so my wife always comes close and takes a good sniff when she catches a whiff of it. The only down is that it doesn't last that long on me and I have to apply it twice if I still want to smell it in the evening.

From this very first sample until today there was no day that I didn't have it in my bathroom. I don't use it every day though so it doesn't wear of...
    It is not that easy to obtain and I never smelled it on anybody else which is quite nice. It is a hidden treasure and I hope it will stay in production for years to come!

23 September, 2011

Beau Brummel's avatar

Brazil Brazil

A timeless classic. The very definition of manhood. One of the ones that make a difference. It was never a best-seller and it seems perfectly natural. After all, it was never intended for the average John Doe. That is why it is what it is...

03 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 May, 2011)

Spoombung's avatar

Probably my all-time favourite! I've been wearing this since the eighties and have never got bored with it. The others come and go but this one stays. It's massively underated and it's a real shame it's quite hard to get hold of now (shops do not stock it in the UK even though it's supposed to be still in production)

A beautifully balanced mix of floral, citrus and nutmeg, it's not a loud scent but smells great close to the skin and picks up lots of compliments. I love it.

30th January, 2011

Darvant's avatar

The classic Cacharel Pour Homme conjures me a lot the modern 7 de Loewe which is a slightly spicier ( or may be is better to say earthier) and dusty type of similar stuff. The Cacharel one projects a more woody, mossy and a cleaner texture in comparison with 7 Loewe even if is spicy and a bit dirty along the way . This is a refined spicy, mossy masculine scent based on few notes among which i detect clearly citrus lavender, a bit of neroli, cedar, woods, a dominant nutmeg and vetiver. The beginning in very sour (lemony/orangy), dry and traditional but while the citrusy notes retain their influence throughout the scent, it is the spicy heart that infuses its main influence to the whole fragrance due to a notable amount of nutmeg that overwhelms the flowers as geranium and carnation. The base is woody and musky with an earthy vetiver insertion. The nutmeg is yet detectable in the final outcome which is all spices, woods, musk and citrus. While the longevity is decent the sillage is under tone.

27 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2014)

sarensi's avatar

I Love Cacharel Pour L'Homme. It's masculine but not too much, mysterious, slightly bohemian and unique. This was big in the 80's in Europe and used to be available everywhere but seems to have vanished from the UK with the popularity of blander sportier scents. I bought a bottle when I was in my teens and always thought it was a peppery pine/aniseed smell I was getting. Recently I have discovered it's a nutmeg I can smell (though I normally dislike nutmeg and clove) somehow it molds with the sweet ylang ylang (very strong for me ) to create something magical and slightly melancholic. I don't understand how people can't be captivated by this. It's like having some stranger tell you they don't like your girlfriend.
    Ok I will stick my head above the parapet and say that my respect for Luca Turin took a nosedive when I read his dismissal of Cacharel Pour l'homme. I'll take it over his camp favourites like Mugler Angel any day of the week. I am slightly irritated that LT has become the official spokesperson for what smells good and what doesn't.

03 December, 2010

paulared's avatar

Three fragrances a man can wear to make me tremble and shiver with emotion like a flan. One of them is Cacharel. Not for every man and not every woman will like it on a man. For me this is a timeless piece in perfumery, loud as the decade it was created in, if it is used wisely it can be discreet and elegant. Very masculine and somewhat animalic, no ambivalence here. Like a lion that marks his territory, my bed sheets still smell like cacharel pour l´homme even days after he´s gone...

28 September, 2010

Uncle Ben's avatar

I am a 29 y/o man from NYC and I must say this fragrance is pretty..... AWFUL. Yuk! Maybe it will work for an older man with a certain style to him but for me it stinks. Smells loud and has no "aura" to it.

26 August, 2010

WavingWheat's avatar

A superior French fragrance. A classic scent that should be in any real man's wardrobe. The original of this genre, that is hard to find, and under rated. It is not heavy, but it is robust, zesty, and a loud mixture of nutmegs, oranges, lavender, and sandalwood. It is lively, fresh, clean, longlasting, has great sillage, is well-balanced, very sophisticated, alluring, and exudes exotic, mysterious notes that always has people asking you what you are wearing that smells so good. Great for Autumn, Winter, and Spring. A good scent for business, casual, or evening engagements. I Highly recommend!

23 November, 2009

Galvatron77's avatar

Brazil Brazil

One of my top list fragrances , clean and fresh.
    Great smell close to skin , and when against the wind emanate a fresh-soapy-amazing aura... one of the best in my opinion.
    Highly recommended !!!

27 October, 2009

AnimaSola's avatar

A headache-inducing slap in the face of a fragrance. It is annoyingly loud and crass. Not recommended for casual or formal wear, except perhaps to a Nascar race.

11th October, 2009

jenson's avatar

India India

Did Cachrel with their seminal offering - Pour L'homme; release a scent with one of the most realistic note of Nutmeg...? i'm still in awe of this scent..by the way it executed this note. i would like to believe that they used the natural essense ..but i could be so wrong. is this a aroma chemical...? coz it doesnt smell like one..Basically, i love the smell of nutmeg but, never got a chance to experience it so clearly/explicitly as in this Cachrel release.
    if you have ever sniffed a jar full of nutmeg and i mean 100's of em..then, it's easy. Pour L'Homme smells "just" like that.

13 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2009)

SirSlarty's avatar

I have to go with the other negative reviewers here and say that this is way too soapy for my tastes. Must have an aromachemical in common with Prada Amber pour Homme because I get the same sharp, stinging soapy note. The fragrance otherwise feels very clean. A redeeming quality is that it is not as overpowering as many scents from the 80's. As a matter of personal taste, this gets a thumbs down.

18 September, 2008

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

back in the 80´s after my love affair with Fahrenheit I found a new love and that was Cacharel. It was pure citrus and incense. Being a catholic, the first thing that came to my mind (when I test it) was "church", it smelled very much like the incense burn in church. It was also a long lasting fragrance. Sophisticated yet not very loud. It has some notes of vetiver at the end of its life. Today, I find some similarities with Acqua di Parma.
    A true classic that I keep buying over and over.

09 September, 2008

JaimeB's avatar

A bit spicy, with nutmeg and the clove overtones of carnation in the heart on a woody-musky base, with opening notes of lavender and citrus. I suppose this all makes a kind of fougère, though with vetiver standing in for a coumarin note and no oakmoss in evidence at all. I like this for its slightly sharp, fresh character. It is satisfying and has decent projection, sillage, and longevity. This is the perfect everyday scent, frank and open, plain-spoken and naturally winsome just as it is.

03 June, 2008