Neutral Reviews of Canoé by Dana

Find out more about Canoé by Dana in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Slayerized's avatar
    Slayerized
    Netherlands Netherlands

This has an excellent opening but turns into a, to me, too sweet of a vanilla musky like smell which does not suit me that well. I hardly wear it and prefer the better Pinaud Aftershave/Cologne which gives me the same vibe/smell but less sweet and more fresh. Mind that I have a current version of this reformulated stuff which is most probably not that good as it used to be. Rating: 5.5/10

12 May, 2013

studer's avatar
    studer

Ahhh nothing special. Used to own it when i was younger a while back. Didnt really do it for me, but i do remember it being a weak safe scent maybe a barbershop smell.

12 August, 2012

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

I'm a huge fan of powdery barbershop fragrances. Canoe is nearly universal in its availability. Alas, with so many barber fougeres in my collection, Canoe is an odd man out. Specifically, the sweet vanilla in the drydown is too much for me. It's great that this is still in production and is a great introduction to classic men's perfumery, but I prefer Royal Copenhagen, Pinaud's Clubman or Jockey Club for the talc notes - the latter trio is less sweet and linear than Canoe and similar in price.

26 June, 2012

Oproust's avatar
    Oproust

I recently added Canoe to my wardrobe in honor of its iconic status as a reference aromatic fougere per Michael Edwards. I find the top notes to be a bit unsettling, alcohol, lemon and I'm not sure what else. Hairspray comes to mind. Fortunately, this fades fairly quickly. I get a definite Brut vibe with this one. The mid notes pass me by entirely. The tonka and vanilla base notes emerge and dominate early in the progression with a noticeable heliotrope note. No oakmoss to my nose. I rate this a neutral for its pleasant, persistent dry down and its long history of making guys smell pretty good. The new formulation, which is now (according to the box) "Made in China with Fragrance Oil Made in the USA", is the only version I've tried. I've smelled it on others years ago but never gave it much thought. I'd love to get my hands on the "Made in France" version.

10th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2011)

Gilgamesh2003's avatar
    Gilgamesh2003

Sadly vile. I really wanted to like Canoe – at first blush it resembled an upscale, refined Pinaud Clubman, an oily, powdery lemon-butter talcum powder straight from the barbershop.

Unfortunately the drydown becomes rancid, piercing, and abominably cheap. Pinaud Clubman itself smells better and actually costs less. Poor Canoe must have been quite nice before reformulation degraded it into a chintzy mess.

06 February, 2011

man114's avatar
    man114

Very similar to Pinaud's Clubman but sweeter. Perhaps too much so. Whereas Clubman has enough of a dryness to not seem obtrusive, this one smells sweet. I think it is too much Vanillia that becomes too dominant in this one.

28 January, 2011

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

I haven't worn or smelled Canoe for quite some time, but I do remember it being in my collection as a youngster. From what I can recall, it was very powdery..but in a light refreshing way. One of the better cheap colognes out there. I may actually get a smaller bottle for old times sake.

05 March, 2010

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Excellent cheap, drug store fougere that smells much better than the Brut that's out there now (in the cheap plastic bottle). Wear it as a casual. It's nice but to wear it at a formal event or even in the office you might come across as a cheap tightwad.

08 June, 2008

Naed_Nitram's avatar
    Naed_Nitram

I'm afraid the appeal of this fragrance pretty much escapes me. I agree with the reviewer who described Canoe as both medicinal and powdery. But, unlike him and several others,this does make me want to wax nostalgic about the 1930s and barbershops. Instead, it makes me wonder why anyone would want to douse themselves in something that resembles the smell of a treatment for fungal infections of the feet and crotch.

19 October, 2006

Jon_Remy's avatar
    Jon_Remy

This fragrance reminds me of those translucent gummy erasers I would use in grade school. Not a bad scent, but is candy-like to me. Whatever happened to CANOE SPORT? I think Canoe Sport was 10x better then the original Canoe, along the lines of SportScent by Jovan. It was a sporty, flowery fragrance, yet masculine, that reminded me a little bit of Insense by Givenchy. I still have a bottle of it (plastic bottle) and it still smells good. Dana sure has discontinued a LOT of their fragrances. They might as well hang it up as a fragrance factory because it's obvious they can't keep any of their fragrances around!

13 October, 2005