Reviews of Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

JonB Show all reviews
Mugler cologne and Creed Original Vetiver small virtually identical. They are both reminiscent of Eau du Cologne but with a synthetic twist. Both have a citrus/neroli top, and a white musk base. In addition, these two fragrances have a very long lasting green note that helps add to their refreshing characters. The white musk base makes for a long lasting clean soapy character. All of this comes together into a very refreshing, clean, soft scent that lasts a long time. Yes, in a way they come off as being synthetic, but it really is a very nice, soft synthetic "cologny" type of smell. I love, love, love these two fragrances. The difference between Creed OV and Mugler cologne comes from the fact that the Creed is EdP strength, and Mugler is an EdT. In addition, Creed sprayers give a very large volume per spray. So it seems the Creed is significantly stronger and longer lasting. To me, the smell is virtually identical with only the strength being slightly higher with Creed OV. If this difference is worth the difference in price is up to you. For me, the Mugler is a better deal. Creed is at least twice the price (if you buy a tester).

Mugler cologne has very good longevity on me, lasting at least 6 hours (and as a skin scent for well over 12 hours). The scent is just so pleasant, I never tire of it. Projection is moderate, and you definitely leave a soft, pleasant trail behind you. Mugler cologne would probably lend itself best to office or casual wear. It's probably best used in spring,summer,fall.

The drawback of Mugler and Creed OV is a bit of harshness from the white musk they use. This is a personal thing for me, and not everyone will react the same way. After several hours, I get a slight scratchiness in my throat (this is especially evident with the Creed).

It you haven't sniffed Mugler cologne or Creed OV, they might be worthwhile. This is one of the fragrances I will always have in my wardrobe.
15th September, 2015
Neroli, petitgrain and bergamot - but no citrus!

Starting off washed out, tumble dried and starched, it's a minimal profile of engineered neroli coupled with a pale, sweet, powdery-woody base. There's a small evolution from laundry to light honeyed dust, while the longlasting floral accord remains strong and virtually intact to the end.

MC came from the pen of Alberto Morillas - hot on the heels of his success with Flower, and it feels a bit like a slimmed down orange version of the Kenzo blockbuster. Both perfumes show great imagination and originality but their material construction doesn't quite reach the same heights of excellence.

The purpose of cologne is to deliver a simple burst of lively citrus and Morillas has captured the spirit of this in a restrained and contemporary way. He replaced the shiny coloured ornaments of the citrus tree with an abstract orange flower that illuminates the base like a glowing lantern on pale wood furniture.

Very good postmodern cologne for the design conscious.

04th September, 2015
I tried it couple of times through a decant ....and initially maybe I had a positive feeling due to the many gushing reviews in the discussion boards about the freshness and the exuberance of this cologne that I ended up giving it a 4 star ..but as I used it again and again I realized that it had some major flaws which makes it impossible for me to give it more than average as below :
It opens with a bright neroli / fresh smell ..which enlivens you but that's that doesn't move beyond the exuberance of the initial top notes ...its like a highly recommended movie which opens with an interesting story but goes kaput by the hr ..and and ending up like a tedious watch by the end of it ..and you wish it to end so that u can go home and sleep it out and in this case scrub it out ...
the opening citrus soon turns bitter / dirty ...and even though u might like to believe that its still fresh start getting the feeling of a bitter orangish smell ...synthetic citrus notes does have that effect ...or when u leave a orange peeled out for some time it goes bitter ...this becomes like that ...
another thing which goes against it is that it doesn't project as much as I would like a nice fresh clean scent to do ...leaving it close to the skin and after having enjoyed the first top notes you are rather glad that it doesn't project as who would like to project a bitter orange smell ...!
hence I am changing my rating to 2 ...there are many who love this perfume but its not for me ....
28th August, 2015

It is so easy to imagine summer citrus groves,wide emerald fields and high blue sky overhead.a soft and refreshing scent in a simple bottle and absolutely ALBERTO MORILLAS will be a favorite to all fans of citrus compositions,full of freshness, aromatic notes and flowers. Green,Youthful, Crisp,Casual,Summery,Clean,Safe,Lovely,Light Hearted and Simple.

Light citruses,light floral and musky smell as top notes include green notes with bergamot,neroli and petitgrain,a heart of white flower lays over a soft musky base notes as it smells leave the skin feeling invigorating and the image of the mediterranean summer.nice enough to soothe away any irritation without any overpowering scent.MUGLER COLOGNE take with you in the mornings and revel in the freshness. perfect for young and active character.easy to wear and one of my favorites.

Longevity?+6 hours on my skin.

26th July, 2015
Mugler Cologne opens with a nice smooth neroli note, which then fades to reveal a dominant vetiver note with soapy musks. It's fresh and clean with limited sillage and longevity, but much more substantial than traditional EDCs.

However, the neroli note is quite flat and the vetiver isn't sharp and grassy OR deep and herbaceous. It's a clear neon green artificial note, stripped of any natural features. It seems quite lean and modern, as if Mugler was working with CdG to make an EDC for robots.

I know that sounds a little exaggerated, but it really feels quite artificial and cold to me, but that may be the sacrifice made for more than fleeting longevity. Given all the praise for this scent, maybe I'm completely anosmic to something amazing in this scent, but I'll take Acqua di Parma Colonia over this all day every day.
20th June, 2015
Mugler Cologne opens up as a carbon copy of Creed's Original Vetiver. Where OV stays green though, Mugler Cologne gets overcasted with neroli for the most part. Credit where it's due, to go from vetiver to neroli so smoothly, almost unnoticeably is outstanding. My problem is that I don't care for neroli. You like neroli, vetiver? You will love this. The vetiver in here is more soapy, more like Guerlain's Vetiver (current formulation), than it is green. I prefer a darker and earthier vetiver tone, which I don't get here.

Undoubtedly though, this is a clean gentleman's fragrance. Sophisticated and refined. This is John Varvatos Artisan, meets Guerlain Vetiver, or Creed's OV.
06th March, 2015
Unless you live in the South Pole, I just can't see how you can go wrong with this.

After a sharp citrus, it's an outdoor clean laundry scent. Simple, refined, relaxed and verstile. Sillage is average as is longevity.

03rd March, 2015
Thumbs way up for this one. This soapy, green, musky cologne actually pulls the ear to many "niche" compositions (you know who) and stands as an excellent everyday choice when you don't feel like wearing perfume but want to really smell good. I don't like to evaluate a fragrance by the compliments it gets but since I know that many men value this I let you know I have received many compliments with this one. Also it sells for pennies so go get some.
20th February, 2015
Thierry Mugler Cologne is appropriately likened to both 4711 original Eau De Cologne and Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino due to the soapy emphasis of neroli, the most prominent note that gives it its characteristic semi-green, sunblock-esque freshness. In this respect, it's a successful fragrance as a light summer day scent. It lacks much depth or evolution but is undeniably fresh, and it's similar to 4711 almost to a fault, as I regard 4711 as a cheaper alternative. It lacks the potency and depth of Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino, so that seems less of an apt comparison, but the front-and-center use of the neroli is the commonality there.

Projection and longevity are both limited, as this stays pretty close to the skin and becomes a skin scent within a few hours. At $40 or so for a 100ml on FragranceNet, the price isn't terrible, even for a EDC or weak EDT, but for my money, I'd opt for 4711, which is much cheaper still. I'd offer that Thierry Mugler Cologne does seem like a good, cheaper, everyday alternative to Neroli Portofino, though, so fans of that may want to check this out---certainly worth trying, regardless.

6 out of 10
18th February, 2015
ad_scott Show all reviews
Top cologne! Very good indeed! Intense fresh green soap followed by a humble vetiver/grassy dimension. The opening is like what many say...straight out of a hot shower; steamy, fresh, clean vibe. The drydown is warm grass on a breezy summer's day. Reminds me of the south of France. Robust longevity, sillage and projection - lasts 8 hours, projects well and no doubt lingers. Delightful!
18th January, 2015
Original Vetiver by Creed withou the Creed price tag. Perhaps a tad brighter than Creed
11th December, 2014
I purchased a big flacon because ii had the feeling I would go through a lot of it, splashing it on in wild abandon during warm weather. I was spot on. With a million reviews already in the can it was a very safe blind buy.

Who could not like this cologne, I wonder? It's probably the least aggressive thing I've ever smelled, or worn. I'm not saying much of anything that hasn't been said before, but Mugler is green spring/summer sunlit freshness in a bottle. I think it would make a great fabric softener as well. If you would like to double as a room air freshener, this would be my first choice. It's not potent at all, and could very well be sold in industrial sized containers with no worry about toxifying the surrounding atmosphere.

It's green spring air in a bottle, very breezy and very happy feeling. An olfactory antidepressant if there ever was one. Wear while sweating (after a soapy shower) in light cotton and shorts, and be the meadow/orchard/fresh laundry in the room.
10th December, 2014
A safe scent that as everyone says smells a lot like Creed's Original Vetiver. I prefer OV or this, but Mugler Cologne is a good one nonetheless. Light musk and neroli give this a nice green vibe. Sort of like fresh cut grass. 7.5/10
25th November, 2014

What else really has to be said about this. Mugler Cologne is a great creation from Alberto Morillas. It's the essence of freshly dry-cleaned/steam-cleaned clothes and is perfect for throwing on right out of the shower. Do yourself a favor and don't pay upwards of $200 for Neroli Portofino. This accomplishes the same thing for $50. Kind of a must-have in any fresh fragrance aficionado's wardrobe, and nothing else smells quite like it. It also features strange, alien-green juice in a cool bottle to boot. Highly recommended. Now if only Thierry Mugler could stop inventing A*Men flankers and put out a fresh idea..
11th October, 2014
There is no excuse but to give this juice a thumbs up as it would be impossible at this point for anyone to purchase it "blind" based on the 1.1 million + reviews available across the interwebs....

Citrusy...soapy...musky, the end.
19th September, 2014
A great summertime fragrance! I'm a big fan of soapy scents so it's understandable that I like this very much. Although I have to say that some reviews made me expect it to be quite overwhelmingly soapy. Luckily it isn't, it's just right. It's also nice and refreshing that this is lacking all the regular citrus scents; It has more citrus flowers and leaves rather than the actual fruits. If you are looking for a summer fragrance which is a bit different, i.e. if you - just like me - are slightly bored with normal citrus scents and aren't that interested in aquatic notes, this is just for you! Longevity and sillage are average, those things are probably the only minor drawbacks here. Luckily the product is relatively inexpensive and comes in a big bottle.
28th August, 2014
Vetiver magically becomes fleeting soap. The cleanest most inoffensive thing you will ever smell. How do you grade something so neutral in aroma? Weird. At < $25 would be a true steal, otherwise a pass. 3 out of 5
09th August, 2014
Mugler Cologne makes a refreshing change from all the gourmand Mugler perfumes. I was originally expecting it to be more of a classic white Eau de Cologne, along the lines of 4711, Imperiale etc, but it's actually a very clean, soapy green scent, which is quite different from anything I've smelled before. Lovely in hot weather.
31st July, 2014
Theirry Mugler's Cologne is a modern, decidedly futuristic take on a classic recipe. His inspiration was the scent of a Moroccan soap he came across whilst on holiday.

I'll be honest, this does indeed smell exactly like soap (no surprise)! When I smell this I am reminded of an exclusively made luxury soap bar in a hotel bathroom. I find it very refreshing and uplifting.

I basically get a very sweet, green citrus vibe, coupled with a heavy dose of clean, white musk. I think I also get a faint hint of Vetiver, although it isn't listed. It's not a bitter at all to my nose (unlike other types of Eau de Cologne's). Instead it's very smooth, and not in any way sharp smelling or overpowering.

I don't think I really have anything bad to say about this. I do get the slight "synthetic" feel which others have mentioned, but even then it still achieves it's goal of smelling clean, fresh and inoffensive. This is the one I reach for when I don't want to smell "complicated", just clean and ready for the day ahead.

Well done to M. Mugler for coming up with this. His aim here was to create a perfume "for people who don't like the smell of perfume". It's simple and does that job very well. It's a modern, fresh take on what is (in my opinion) a very old and conventional formula, which has been repeated too many times. This doesn't feel like it belongs with the rest of them. Completely fresh, unisex and modern as ever. I like it.
10th July, 2014
Genre: Citrus

I’ve put off writing a review of Mugler Cologne because I fear I’m at least partially anosmic to it. It takes A LOT of this stuff to make any impression on my nose. What I can smell, I like: a simple spiced citrus and dry wood composition (with what smells to me like a lovely cardamom note,) and an unapologetically synthetic soapy white musk foundation. It’s crisp, it’s clean, and it’s distinctive. It’s novel, but it’s also understated. If you’re looking for a “clean” scent, but have had your fill of the ubiquitous “fresh” aquatic scents and fruity violet leaf fougères, try Mugler Cologne.
19th June, 2014
This is an ok scent but it wasnt nearly as soapy as a lot of people on youtube were claiming. I get just a safe,simple green scent with a touch of musk and thats about it. Its just a safe,inoffensive scent to be used for casual and maybe some formal events. Nothing special but its not bad either. Although the mugler cologne isnt that great I really did enjoy the mugler cologne bodywash :D
23rd February, 2014
Soapy Vetiver and musk.

something about this frag doesn't work on me - I think the 'secret ingredient' is spearmint, and that combined with the horrible cheap musk smell turns wrong and dirty on my skin, something like a bucket of soapy dirty mop water - yuck!

If you like the vibe of this stuff I would recommend 2 fragrances that are (imo) better - Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino and Creed's Original Vetiver
24th January, 2014 (last edited: 24th March, 2014)
Safe and easy

Lemony, clean, and a touch of spices in the dry down. Really not a great deal more than that for me.

20th August, 2013
Great summer scent

Picked up some of this in Paris last year...I don't wear it much, because it wears off so quickly, but as it is getting warmer, I have started putting some on after a shower, and it makes you feel cleaner than the shower, but by the time I've dried off, this scent has almost worn off.

Like some wonderful type of flower that blooms only for a few days, this fragrance is great while it lasts.

Thankfully, I got the 10 oz bottle.

Pros: Brings to mind freshly cut grass
Cons: longevity is weak

10th June, 2013
Great for Summer

Love this scent! Great for summer, better for day, but good for night as well. I’ve worn it for 10 years and never had it go bad. I would say it is more masculine, clean and almost classic.  I get a lot of complements on this one.

Pros: no one dilikes

22nd May, 2013

Mugler Cologne can easily join the rest of the Pure flankers as Pure Freshness, this is my favorite of the Thierry Mugler line. This fragrance is a straight up fresh and clean fragrance. To me it isn't soapy, it is just fresh and clean! I definitely get the Neroli and Musk in this one. This is a perfect fragrance for any event. If you have just gotten out of the shower a spray of this stuff will enhance your cleanliness and make you feel refreshed! Mugler Cologne is the fragrance I grab when I want to smell fresh and clean, or when I am unsure of what I want to wear. This fragrance will forever be a part of my collection.

Sillage/Projection: 7/10
Longevity 10/10 (10+ hours)
Scent: 10/10
Compliment factor: 10/10 (Clean and fresh)
Purpose: Any and all
Season: All year round

16th May, 2013
I think I expected way too much from 'Mugler Cologne'. I read several reviews here and decided to test, the first chance I get.

I did... and, unfortunately, got very disappointed. To me it is very very soapy and by far not fresh. It has several notes that might be considered fresh, but not to me.

It's heavy on the/my skin and powdery.
04th May, 2013
Clean but not "soapy" to me. Fresh. Not very strong but very pleasant. Always reminds me of someone ironing a clean shirt. (?)
15th April, 2013
Ivory soap with some "green" notes. CLEAN!
18th February, 2013
A great alternative daily fragrance, as it gives the feeling of sitting in the shade on a beautiful meadow ... but then evolves into something more. Although recognized as an excellent fragrance is not my favorite.
18th January, 2013