Reviews of Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Thierry Mugler did a 180 turn from his A Men (1996) and went away from the aromatic gourmand prototype which was that scent, making what is literally a modern take on a classic 18th century cologne. He didn't reinvent the wheel here, and instead just added a few modern twists to the citrus/flowers/herbs formula that eau de colognes always used going all the way back to Farina and 4711. The story has it that Mugler was trying to duplicate an ordinary bar of soap imported from Morocco that he liked, which was itself based on a traditional cologne fragrance. He wanted something different, something special about his cologne, so there is a purported "S Note" in the pyramid that remains unidentified as an ingredient. I'm going to be honest about this: It's really difficult to do a full thorough review about something that is just meant to be an update to a traditional and well-worn design. This is an eau de cologne with a little more beef than traditional varieties since it uses an actual base note to keep it on skin, whereas the older ones were just assorted smell-goods suspended in alcohol. Mugler does a good job with making something that can last as day wear better than anything actually from the 18th and 19th centuries in this category, but that's about all the kudos I can give.

You have to like traditional colognes to like this, and with much better options in both the niche realm and in higher-end designers, this just becomes more like the option for people who can only buy fragrances from Macy's. Mugler Cologne opens up with bergamot, lemon, neroli, and petitgrain, which is nothing out of the ordinary for this style. The separation from other colognes begins with the magical "S" note, which I can only denote as "savon" or soap, a waxy, kinda rosy, floral, round smell that you get from classic aromatic fougère compositions throughout the 70's and 80's, just dialed way down low so it doesn't disrupt the classic cologne vibe. The Orange flower and assorted herbs like sage and basil do the rest of the "greening up" of the scent until the white musk base comes in at the end, not too dissimilar to Caswell-Massey Number Six (1789). The overall vibe achieved by this combination is a classic cologne opening that merges with the soap and ends in the musk, so it's clean, very old-school, rather unisex as expected, but with a little more beef than the usual cologne, although that isn't to say it's long-lasting. One trick I do like is rubbing the area where the cologne is applied will reactivate the scent, so I guess the secret "S" has something to do with that, or does it?

All told, this is as good of a modern take on a classic cologne as can be expected from the designer realm, and although more expensive than a traditional cologne, isn't beyond the realms of attainability for the average stiff who likes this sort of thing. Alberto Morillas probably had fun being assigned to do something so prescribed and traditional as this, and there is a bit of that indescribable spunk you get from a "cover version" of an old song that I find here. I'm not super impressed by it because it's not distinctive besides the soap and musk additions, but I like it enough that it might one day find it's way into my collection, so it gets a thumbs up for me. I'd honestly view this as a slightly longer-lasting, and slightly soapier replacement for something like Farina or 4711, and although Atelier Cologne or anything from the Guerlain Imperiale line bests it, none of those will best it in price, which is where it counts for something this simple. Spending a lot of money on a good cologne just isn't necessary in the 21st century, and Mugler gets that, so this came along to provide the same, if not better level of performance that the old dogs from centuries past used to provide to nobility and the gentry classes. You'll find this in any good department store and where you use it doesn't matter, as it's just basic freshness in a bottle, pure and simple. Nice bottle too, I might add.
18th June, 2018
Just remember it's a cologne, not an EDT, and adjust longevity expectations accordingly. Spritz it on and dash off to Costco, get the car's oil changed, run into Home Depot. Get home mow the lawn, spritz some more on for the afternoon cookout. You're clean and fresh; everyone loves you.
25th May, 2018
This was my first exposure to neroli/orange blossom and I'm absolutely amazed. The inspiration behind this fragrance was apparently Moroccan soap - and indeed it smells like a very green bar of soap. This fragrance starts off with lots of bergamot and neroli, with neroli being the main note. If I could describe the scent it sort of smells like a green lime to my nose; and I'm a huge fan of it. The bergamot is very noticeable in the opening. As a person whose favourite scent in the world is the smell of limes (and who owns a bunch of lime colognes and aftershaves), this definitely counts as the bergamot here is a very green and potent variety that smells similar to limes. This fragrance is totally unisex and could be worn literally by anyone. On drydown it smells the same as the opening but with less citrus and more white florals. It is extremely pleasant. Sillage is moderate leaning and longevity is extremely good (if I use moisturizer beforehand), running at over 12 hours on my skin and projecting to my nose even without me having to sniff my arm. This is unbelievable for a fresh fragrance. Overall this is a masterpiece of a cologne that I adore quite a bit as it makes me feel fresh, clean, and "limey" with better longevity than a lime fragrance - in fact the liquid being green is very apt. This is easily within my top 5 fragrances of all time.

03rd May, 2018

Not horrible. Not interesting. As others have noted it starts 4711 and quickly progresses to an alkaline musk. Soap.
30th March, 2018
Smells exactly like Irish Spring Soap.
05th March, 2018
Mugler Cologne is nearly the perfect cologne for me. It's got neroli, but is not overloaded with the stuff. It's a classic recipe, but is very modern and has none of the stiff conservatism found in some other traditional colognes. It has bergamot and petitgrain, but everything is blended together to arrive at an accord that is pure pleasure - reminiscent of soap, and is fresh, refined and incredibly clean. Mugler Cologne does have a base, which is a very careful dose of clean, fresh white musk. It has just enough of the musk so that it lasts much more than traditional colognes, but never becomes grating. The projection is calibrated immaculately so it sits close to skin, but emanates a lovely waft every now and then. The sillage is just how it should be. Duration is more than adequate at around five to six hours.

Mugler Cologne is living proof that there can be a light fresh perfume that is distinctive, beautifully androgynous and bottleful of fun. Hats off to Mugler and Alberto Morillas for this. Bravo!

4.5/5
27th November, 2017 (last edited: 12th December, 2017)
Oviatt Show all reviews
Mugler Cologne is a wonderful take on traditional eau de cologne, such as the classic 4711, but with a distinctly Mediterranean feel to it. Where 4711 evokes Germanic baden and an alpine cleanliness, Mugler Cologne smells of warmer oceanside climes, in much the way Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino does. I can well imagine Mugler's childhood soap being the inspiration for this--I feel that I have used this very soap in several French-speaking countries. The other big difference is that classic eau de cologne can smell slightly antiseptic and clinical but Mugler Cologne, due to the soft musk in its base notes and the mysterious S-note, smells more of humanity. Clean humanity, to be sure. If an eau de cologne can be sexy, this one it it. This an amazingly versatile fragrance especially good for warm weather and warm climates, about as far from Mugler's other fragrances as it is possible to be! The grooming products are excellent.
29th September, 2017
Fresh, soapy and clean. Not something I would wear to the office or to dinner, but great for a weekend of running errands. This is on the opposite spectrum of what you'd expect from A*Men and its recognizable DNA. Still glad to have this as part of my collection, especially at the price I got it ($38 for large spray and shower gel gift set).
09th August, 2017
Very versatile, clean and fresh. Really good vetiver and neroli scent that is crowd-pleasing and easy to wear and enjoy in many temps and different events.

Projection is good and longevity is even better on me. Still going after 8 hours. It's EdT strength so don't worry about the Cologne name.
02nd July, 2017
This reminds me of the citrussy vetiver sweetish cologne smell that wafts around warm places, and it's said to be based on a hotel soap from Morocco, which I can well believe. One of the first things that hits me when I land in warm places like Spain or Morocco is the smell of cologne rather than perfume everywhere you go. Here in Ireland I smell more traditionally feminine perfumes on the streets, but in Spain it's cologne, often sold in huge bottles in Spanish supermarkets and shops, and there's nothing more refreshing that splashing some from a bottle in the fridge when you crawl in after working on a hot day.

MC opens sweetly citrus with quite a bit of orange (neroli and petitgrain) rather than lemon, more Moroccan than French, and less 'flinty' than some of the sharper colognes I love. It is almost a generic clean smell but has a slightly quirky personality of its own which lifts it out, gives it depth, and makes it very attractive, particularly once some nice juicy vetiver kicks in. I've read reviews talking about a steam or barbershop quality, but for me I get something of that slightly chemical whiff of clean that you find in laundry/dry cleaner shops, where something from the dry cleaning fluid or indeed from steam generated by the process adds an edge to the sweet citrus, herby, musky laundry smells.

I like it very much but can find the neroli a little too sweet at times, but it always feels summery and I enjoy it on hot days or indeed in winter to remind me of warm places.
26th May, 2017
A great, green herbal scent that simply doesn't last long(not just on me, as is evident in the reviews!).
Slightly reminiscent of 4711 and others in that genre.

29th December, 2016
It's lucky it's getting a neutral from me. I get it, it's based off of a soap. That doesn't mean it has to have the longevity of it! Two sprays gets you nowhere with this (I usually stick to one), and I doubt adding more would help. I'm extremely disappointed in this regard.

That being said, it is a nice scent. I smell pickles at first (weird, I know), but within a minute I get the soap. It's a really nice, sour citrus, though it reminds me of Irish Spring in the dry down.

I can't recommend it simply because the price and longevity don't match up. If they can come out with a higher concentration version, then I'll consider grabbing it again.
20th December, 2016
Mugler Cologne is one of my favorites. It is clean, smells great, and is fresh. The only downside is that on my skin it only lasts 4 hours. If only they made this frag in an EDT or EDP.

Overall: 8.5/10
Longevity: 4/10
Sillage: 3/10
14th August, 2016

It is a blind buy with high hope after reading so many good reviews. But I am quite disappointed with its longevity and projection. The fresh scent lasts about 10 minutes on my skin and then it turns to soapy after shower scent. It is nice, but thats all, nothing special. And this soft fresh skin scent fades away in about 2 hours. Its really not worth the money.
13th July, 2016
Well as per Cologne it's great. Nice Scent, not to fruity yet Fresh. I am a Thierry Mugler fan and Longevity is not the best but Surely not disappointing.
14th June, 2016
One of my favorites from the Mugler line of scents. Very nice spring / summer scent for men or women. Citrus and zesty to start with a minimal musk dry down. A true skin scent within a hour or two depending on the temperature. Worth a buy for the price. A quality scent. Enjoy!
25th May, 2016
Simple inoffensive classic cologne.
21st May, 2016
Big thumbs up for Mugler Cologne! Such a fresh enjoyable scent that is a real joy to wear. Longevity and sillage are excellent and I enjoy it all day long as the freshness wafts upward. A perfect spring and summer fragrance!
20th April, 2016
BLUF: A nice clean, soapy, neroli-centric fragrance. It smells like an expensive soap. Yes, it smells nearly identical to Creeds Original Vetiver. A perfectly capable, far less expensive alternative to OV, IMO.

I own this and Original Vetiver. They smell nearly identical in the opening and into the initial stages of development. OV, being an EdP, stays potent much longer and does have the typical “refinement” of a Creed. As others have said, MC smells like you just got out of the shower.

A “hard-to-go-wrong” scent that is among the most refreshing out there, to my nose at least.
04th March, 2016
Amazing!

A Mugler fragrance that is not a flanker of his Angel formula. And it's quite nice.

This is pure and simple neroli with petitgrain to ground it and without any of the usual eau de cologne supports (lemon, lime, lavender, etc.)

It's pure, it's clean, and it works for hours. Very reminisdent of Floris wonderful masculine No. 127.

An excellent eau de cologne. (And I don't get that "steam" element at all - a good thing, methinks!)
11th January, 2016
Mugler Cologne is the best and most versatile fragrance for men!
The scent is amazing, I get lots of compliments from women.
It reminds me of Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino.
15th December, 2015
Yes, this is almost identical to Creed's Original vetiver, but Mugler predates Creed by at least 3 years, so one should say Original Vetiver is a carbon copy of Mugler Cologne, not the other way around. At a fraction of the price, this is the obvious choice for me because it's one of the best fresh scents on the market. Always gets compliments from the ladies and I never find this cloying or tiresome, just a wonderfully refreshing scent with good longevity and a soft sensuous dry drown. Color me impressed -Thumbs Up!
24th October, 2015
Not to sound pompous, but this is the only review you need to read for Mugler Cologne.

Take a shower. Spray this on (3-4 sprays), and you'll prolong that clean, fresh feeling for hours.

The scent smells almost exactly like Irish Spring soap. It's green and soapy, but the citrus top notes prevent this from feeling dry.

Also, for a fresh fragrance, this performs really well. It's definitely better than average for the genre this fragrance is in.

This is one of the most inoffensive fragrances ever made, and there is absolutely no situation you can't wear this for. However, seasonally, it does do best in spring and summer.

If you're not a huge fan of heavy scents or generic sporty male fragrances and just want to smell "nice" or clean, this is the fragrance you're looking for.

Lastly, most would not consider this a "sexy" scent, but I don't necessarily agree. Some women dread smelling heavy fragrances on men, or they're turned off if you're wearing a generic or familiar scent (maybe their ex's). In these cases, woman will adore you for just smelling like a clean guy with transparent intentions.

Star Rating: 5/5
Bottom Line: Best clean/fresh/soapy scent ever produced that is extremely versatile and performs well
21st October, 2015
JonB Show all reviews
Mugler cologne and Creed Original Vetiver small virtually identical. They are both reminiscent of Eau du Cologne but with a synthetic twist. Both have a citrus/neroli top, and a white musk base. In addition, these two fragrances have a very long lasting green note that helps add to their refreshing characters. The white musk base makes for a long lasting clean soapy character. All of this comes together into a very refreshing, clean, soft scent that lasts a long time. Yes, in a way they come off as being synthetic, but it really is a very nice, soft synthetic "cologny" type of smell. I love, love, love these two fragrances. The difference between Creed OV and Mugler cologne comes from the fact that the Creed is EdP strength, and Mugler is an EdT. In addition, Creed sprayers give a very large volume per spray. So it seems the Creed is significantly stronger and longer lasting. To me, the smell is virtually identical with only the strength being slightly higher with Creed OV. If this difference is worth the difference in price is up to you. For me, the Mugler is a better deal. Creed is at least twice the price (if you buy a tester).

Mugler cologne has very good longevity on me, lasting at least 6 hours (and as a skin scent for well over 12 hours). The scent is just so pleasant, I never tire of it. Projection is moderate, and you definitely leave a soft, pleasant trail behind you. Mugler cologne would probably lend itself best to office or casual wear. It's probably best used in spring,summer,fall.

The drawback of Mugler and Creed OV is a bit of harshness from the white musk they use. This is a personal thing for me, and not everyone will react the same way. After several hours, I get a slight scratchiness in my throat (this is especially evident with the Creed).

It you haven't sniffed Mugler cologne or Creed OV, they might be worthwhile. This is one of the fragrances I will always have in my wardrobe.
15th September, 2015
I tried it couple of times through a decant ....and initially maybe I had a positive feeling due to the many gushing reviews in the discussion boards about the freshness and the exuberance of this cologne that I ended up giving it a 4 star ..but as I used it again and again I realized that it had some major flaws which makes it impossible for me to give it more than average as below :
It opens with a bright neroli / fresh smell ..which enlivens you but that's that ..it doesn't move beyond the exuberance of the initial top notes ...its like a highly recommended movie which opens with an interesting story but goes kaput by the hr ..and and ending up like a tedious watch by the end of it ..and you wish it to end so that u can go home and sleep it out and in this case scrub it out ...
the opening citrus soon turns bitter / dirty ...and even though u might like to believe that its still fresh ..you start getting the feeling of a bitter orangish smell ...synthetic citrus notes does have that effect ...or when u leave a orange peeled out for some time it goes bitter ...this becomes like that ...
another thing which goes against it is that it doesn't project as much as I would like a nice fresh clean scent to do ...leaving it close to the skin and after having enjoyed the first top notes you are rather glad that it doesn't project as who would like to project a bitter orange smell ...!
hence I am changing my rating to 2 ...there are many who love this perfume but its not for me ....
28th August, 2015
Salutation.

It is so easy to imagine summer citrus groves,wide emerald fields and high blue sky overhead.a soft and refreshing scent in a simple bottle and absolutely ALBERTO MORILLAS style.it will be a favorite to all fans of citrus compositions,full of freshness, aromatic notes and flowers. Green,Youthful, Crisp,Casual,Summery,Clean,Safe,Lovely,Light Hearted and Simple.

Light citruses,light floral and musky smell as top notes include green notes with bergamot,neroli and petitgrain,a heart of white flower lays over a soft musky base notes as it smells leave the skin feeling invigorating and the image of the mediterranean summer.nice enough to soothe away any irritation without any overpowering scent.MUGLER COLOGNE take with you in the mornings and revel in the freshness. perfect for young and active character.easy to wear and one of my favorites.

Sillage?Decent.

Longevity?+6 hours on my skin.

26th July, 2015
Mugler Cologne opens with a nice smooth neroli note, which then fades to reveal a dominant vetiver note with soapy musks. It's fresh and clean with limited sillage and longevity, but much more substantial than traditional EDCs.

However, the neroli note is quite flat and the vetiver isn't sharp and grassy OR deep and herbaceous. It's a clear neon green artificial note, stripped of any natural features. It seems quite lean and modern, as if Mugler was working with CdG to make an EDC for robots.

I know that sounds a little exaggerated, but it really feels quite artificial and cold to me, but that may be the sacrifice made for more than fleeting longevity. Given all the praise for this scent, maybe I'm completely anosmic to something amazing in this scent, but I'll take Acqua di Parma Colonia over this all day every day.
20th June, 2015
Easily the best designer unisex fragrance on the market. Mugler Cologne is fresh and clean, but not in a juvenile way like many. Finally a fresh scent that is mature and sophisticated. To me, this is in the same category with Varvatos Artisan and Artisan Black. I used to think this was a vetiver dominated fragrance, but it really isn't, in fact I don't get any vetiver at all, but I get notes that give off the same vibe as vetiver. Projection and longevity are right where they should be, and price is right. This is a hit for me, and will always be in my collection.
06th March, 2015 (last edited: 15th November, 2015)
Unless you live in the South Pole, I just can't see how you can go wrong with this.

After a sharp citrus, it's an outdoor clean laundry scent. Simple, refined, relaxed and verstile. Sillage is average as is longevity.

03rd March, 2015
Thumbs way up for this one. This soapy, green, musky cologne actually pulls the ear to many "niche" compositions (you know who) and stands as an excellent everyday choice when you don't feel like wearing perfume but want to really smell good. I don't like to evaluate a fragrance by the compliments it gets but since I know that many men value this I let you know I have received many compliments with this one. Also it sells for pennies so go get some.
20th February, 2015