Reviews of Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Buysblind's avatar

What else really has to be said about this. Mugler Cologne is a great creation from Alberto Morillas. It's the essence of freshly dry-cleaned/steam-cleaned clothes and is perfect for throwing on right out of the shower. Do yourself a favor and don't pay upwards of $200 for Neroli Portofino. This accomplishes the same thing for $50. Kind of a must-have in any fresh fragrance aficionado's wardrobe, and nothing else smells quite like it. It also features strange, alien-green juice in a cool bottle to boot. Highly recommended. Now if only Thierry Mugler could stop inventing A*Men flankers and put out a fresh idea..

11th October, 2014

nwhite14's avatar

There is no excuse but to give this juice a thumbs up as it would be impossible at this point for anyone to purchase it "blind" based on the 1.1 million + reviews available across the interwebs....

Citrusy...soapy...musky, the end.

19 September, 2014

jaybear's avatar

Finland Finland

A great summertime fragrance! I'm a big fan of soapy scents so it's understandable that I like this very much. Although I have to say that some reviews made me expect it to be quite overwhelmingly soapy. Luckily it isn't, it's just right. It's also nice and refreshing that this is lacking all the regular citrus scents; It has more citrus flowers and leaves rather than the actual fruits. If you are looking for a summer fragrance which is a bit different, i.e. if you - just like me - are slightly bored with normal citrus scents and aren't that interested in aquatic notes, this is just for you! Longevity and sillage are average, those things are probably the only minor drawbacks here. Luckily the product is relatively inexpensive and comes in a big bottle.

28 August, 2014

sidewinder's avatar

Vetiver magically becomes fleeting soap. The cleanest most inoffensive thing you will ever smell. How do you grade something so neutral in aroma? Weird. At < $25 would be a true steal, otherwise a pass. 3 out of 5

09 August, 2014

Infini's avatar

Wales Wales

Mugler Cologne makes a refreshing change from all the gourmand Mugler perfumes. I was originally expecting it to be more of a classic white Eau de Cologne, along the lines of 4711, Imperiale etc, but it's actually a very clean, soapy green scent, which is quite different from anything I've smelled before. Lovely in hot weather.

31st July, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Theirry Mugler's Cologne is a modern, decidedly futuristic take on a classic recipe. His inspiration was the scent of a Moroccan soap he came across whilst on holiday.

I'll be honest, this does indeed smell exactly like soap (no surprise)! When I smell this I am reminded of an exclusively made luxury soap bar in a hotel bathroom. I find it very refreshing and uplifting.

I basically get a very sweet, green citrus vibe, coupled with a heavy dose of clean, white musk. I think I also get a faint hint of Vetiver, although it isn't listed. It's not a bitter at all to my nose (unlike other types of Eau de Cologne's). Instead it's very smooth, and not in any way sharp smelling or overpowering.

I don't think I really have anything bad to say about this. I do get the slight "synthetic" feel which others have mentioned, but even then it still achieves it's goal of smelling clean, fresh and inoffensive. This is the one I reach for when I don't want to smell "complicated", just clean and ready for the day ahead.

Well done to M. Mugler for coming up with this. His aim here was to create a perfume "for people who don't like the smell of perfume". It's simple and does that job very well. It's a modern, fresh take on what is (in my opinion) a very old and conventional formula, which has been repeated too many times. This doesn't feel like it belongs with the rest of them. Completely fresh, unisex and modern as ever. I like it.

10th July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

I’ve put off writing a review of Mugler Cologne because I fear I’m at least partially anosmic to it. It takes A LOT of this stuff to make any impression on my nose. What I can smell, I like: a simple spiced citrus and dry wood composition (with what smells to me like a lovely cardamom note,) and an unapologetically synthetic soapy white musk foundation. It’s crisp, it’s clean, and it’s distinctive. It’s novel, but it’s also understated. If you’re looking for a “clean” scent, but have had your fill of the ubiquitous “fresh” aquatic scents and fruity violet leaf fougères, try Mugler Cologne.

19 June, 2014

Ryanmmas26's avatar

This is an ok scent but it wasnt nearly as soapy as a lot of people on youtube were claiming. I get just a safe,simple green scent with a touch of musk and thats about it. Its just a safe,inoffensive scent to be used for casual and maybe some formal events. Nothing special but its not bad either. Although the mugler cologne isnt that great I really did enjoy the mugler cologne bodywash :D

23 February, 2014

wormstir's avatar

Soapy Vetiver and musk.

something about this frag doesn't work on me - I think the 'secret ingredient' is spearmint, and that combined with the horrible cheap musk smell turns wrong and dirty on my skin, something like a bucket of soapy dirty mop water - yuck!

If you like the vibe of this stuff I would recommend 2 fragrances that are (imo) better - Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino and Creed's Original Vetiver

24 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2014)

RichNTacoma's avatar

Safe and easy

Lemony, clean, and a touch of spices in the dry down. Really not a great deal more than that for me.

20th August, 2013

marcuslaughter's avatar

Great summer scent

Picked up some of this in Paris last year...I don't wear it much, because it wears off so quickly, but as it is getting warmer, I have started putting some on after a shower, and it makes you feel cleaner than the shower, but by the time I've dried off, this scent has almost worn off.

Like some wonderful type of flower that blooms only for a few days, this fragrance is great while it lasts.

Thankfully, I got the 10 oz bottle.

Pros: Brings to mind freshly cut grass
    Cons: longevity is weak

10th June, 2013

Augustmooninks's avatar

Great for Summer

Love this scent! Great for summer, better for day, but good for night as well. I’ve worn it for 10 years and never had it go bad. I would say it is more masculine, clean and almost classic.  I get a lot of complements on this one.

Pros: no one dilikes
    Cons:

22 May, 2013

frostyicy's avatar

Invigorating!

Mugler Cologne can easily join the rest of the Pure flankers as Pure Freshness, this is my favorite of the Thierry Mugler line. This fragrance is a straight up fresh and clean fragrance. To me it isn't soapy, it is just fresh and clean! I definitely get the Neroli and Musk in this one. This is a perfect fragrance for any event. If you have just gotten out of the shower a spray of this stuff will enhance your cleanliness and make you feel refreshed! Mugler Cologne is the fragrance I grab when I want to smell fresh and clean, or when I am unsure of what I want to wear. This fragrance will forever be a part of my collection.

Sillage/Projection: 7/10
    Longevity 10/10 (10+ hours)
    Scent: 10/10
    Compliment factor: 10/10 (Clean and fresh)
    Purpose: Any and all
    Season: All year round

16 May, 2013

Alexey's avatar

Germany Germany

I think I expected way too much from 'Mugler Cologne'. I read several reviews here and decided to test, the first chance I get.

I did... and, unfortunately, got very disappointed. To me it is very very soapy and by far not fresh. It has several notes that might be considered fresh, but not to me.

It's heavy on the/my skin and powdery.

04 May, 2013

SWAMIROSE's avatar

Clean but not "soapy" to me. Fresh. Not very strong but very pleasant. Always reminds me of someone ironing a clean shirt. (?)

15 April, 2013

hotreds's avatar

Ivory soap with some "green" notes. CLEAN!

18 February, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

A great alternative daily fragrance, as it gives the feeling of sitting in the shade on a beautiful meadow ... but then evolves into something more. Although recognized as an excellent fragrance is not my favorite.

18 January, 2013

's avatar

Mugler Cologne is a wonderful green/citrus/fresh scent. I guess it's one of the best scents on this range. Smells clean and soapy. Suitable for hot days. My only complaint is about it's weak lasting power. This is definetely a must have for any collector. Thumbs up!

07 January, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

Soapy with a grassy vetiver drydown.

It is fresh, but a misconception many people have about this one is that since it is a clean scent, that it is a safe scent. It is very strident and sharp (it really comes at you). I've asked some friends their opinions on this one. Some liked it, but one actually said it was the worst cologne she ever smelled in her entire life. I was shocked to hear that since all the hype on basenotes said it was really safe.

She said it smelled like the antibiotic liquid in packages of bandages at the drug store. Smelling it, I can see where she would get this comparison. It is pungent, but in a good way.

Both the projection and longevity are good. It's versatile, good for every season, affordable. The price makes it an excellent value.

Some will love this scent, some will hate it and some will think it's just okay. For most of you though, you'll like it but won't think it's anything special.

Its cheap enough for a blind buy and chances are you won't like it, if you welcome a big diverse collection and your tastes aren't that steep.

But, again, don't let the clean soapy feel trick you. This still takes an open mind to appreciate, and it is received more kindly by fragrance collectors than the average person.

02 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

charger's avatar

I'm so glad I got a sample of this before blind buying it, definitely not for me. This smells like a perfume my mom used to wear like Wind Song or something along those lines. I was looking for a soapy, clean smell and this is far too feminine and perfumy for my taste. It smells good on its own i suppose, and I know it is meant as unisex, so I give it a neutral.

25 December, 2012

Bigtruck260's avatar

Fresh and clean...fresh and clean...

This is the perfect bedtime fragrance for me. I like to hit the sheets smelling good after a nice shower - and MC fits that niche. For that reason, sillage and longevity are not all that important.

I spray it on my kids before they go to birthday parties so that they smell decent after running around playing for 6 hours.

It's not the head turner, but it is (ahem) fresh and clean.

12 October, 2012

Francolino's avatar

fresh and sincere

30th August, 2012

Tucansam's avatar

Thierry mugler cologne

this cologne completely renewed my interest in fragrances. Having not tried or purchased a fragrance in over 10 years it was time to find a new one or as it turns out many new ones .Well back to mugler cologne

Went online to find one and saw men's magazine recommendations which lead me to YouTube reviewers  who lead me to basenotes . Amazed with basenotes and read reviews and forms for months and finally joined the forums but was very intimidated to write a review being a novice as well as finding it difficult to verbally express my impression and or more accurately my feelings and emotional evoked by a fragrance.

Went to our local Dillard's and tried several and this one was love at first sniff and I instantly loved it . Even though the hot SA was telling me to buy Chanel blue and one year latter feel the same way  by the way  2nd and third place were Chanel blue and A*men.

There is a lot written about this one and a lot of information that really only confuses
    Rather than informs and glad  my first impression was from the scent rather than any pre conceded  notions.I find it not similar to any of the creeds i have sampled or any other scent that i have tried and i tried to find some other fragrance similar that I like as much, but could not.
    It opening is incredibly satifying and gives me solace when I'm blue. It really makes me feel happy. Theres a Limey/lemony opening thats the neroli petigran and orange flower. Its wonderful fresh and clean. Once that dies down I get the smell of fresh bathed skin. Like you are in bed with someone and inhale deeply with your eyes closed. After that it dries down to a clean musk smell The opening fades after maybe 15 minutes than the bathed skin smell which people associate w soap last maybe 1 hour and then a clean slightly flora musk last for 4 hours but get occasional whiffs here and there after that. Incredibly versatile and a must for any collectors. its a real winner!!!

23 August, 2012

verycharlie's avatar

Putting aside the 'alien plant life' business, the really super-futuristic thing about Mugler's Cologne is that it's an instant shower in a bottle. Truly it's an essential utility. I've had my sample for a week and it's already indispensable for: wearing to bed at night to feel like you had a shower when you didn't - wearing in the morning to feel nice during that (drink tea/ feed cat/ smoke breakfast ) period in between waking up and getting showered, dressed and putting on your proper perfume - radically improving a hangover by removing all trace of fester, leaving you free to loll around in bed all day feeling clean and lovely with only pain and nausea left to deal with. It's great.

As for the smell, there's something about it that reminds me of my dad's skin, which always had an distinctive clean/oily, vaguely citrus-ish smell, the unmistakable smell of a particular gelatinous, alien green industrial skin cleaner used by mechanics everywhere since the dawn of time. Could the mysterious 'S' ingredient be Swarfega?! Calling on any grease monkey fume heads out there to confirm this wild theory.

12 August, 2012

barclaydetolly's avatar

What a beautiful scent. This isn't all that complex; it's not going to bowl anyone over; it's not likely to be anyone's favorite; and women won't swoon. But it smells damn good, and that's its merry job. Very safe, very nice cologne. I can't think of a better work scent for most people.

10th August, 2012

sphinxlike's avatar

The epitome of natural freshness. This stuff just smells great, very inoffensive and very clean. I get almost a 'freshly cut grass' accord in the opening mixed with a slightly salty and soapy smell which dries down to a subtle musk.

I agree with what people say about it being a fragrance for those who don't really like fragrance as it's almost like a second skin that lasts 8+ hours on me. This is one that I wear in the warmer weather for work or for when I simply want to chill out and just smell clean, fresh and good. A staple in my collection, and very, very affordable, fantastic juice.

03 August, 2012

Tony T's avatar

very clean and natural smelling. suitable for all ages, best for milder weather. a definate classic and pleasant gentlemen's scent..

26 June, 2012

drseid's avatar

This is a simple enough concept, it opens with a super-fresh orange blossom note backed up by other citrus including even a hint of lime if my nose is correct, and it pretty much stays linear from start to finish. The best way to describe the overall accord is the scent of freshly laundered clothes, or maybe what you may smell like after having just showered with fine bath products. Projection is minimal and longevity below average.

While the orange blossom accord in Mugler Cologne is not going to set the world afire in its composition or complexity, when viewed for what it is it is hard to deny its success. It is cologne for people who just want to smell clean and fresh without calling any attention to themselves. In short, it indeed achieves its objective of being a scent for people who don't want to usually wear scents. I see a strong resemblance to the superior Cologne du Parfumeur by Guerlain, but that cologne has a bit more going on and has much more backbone in its tenacity and strength. This one is an even safer bet to wear if looking to keep your scent obscured than that safe bet of a scent. I'll give Mugler Cologne a very good 3.5 stars out of 5. Well done minimalism, and a great value.

23 June, 2012

Smyle12's avatar

The EDT and the accompanying body wash are two of my favourite things in life right now. Nothing on Earth has the right to smell so bright, heavenly, beautiful, or fresh. This fragrance is the embodiment of what spring in heaven or perhaps some lush, verdant, distant world must smell like. Ahhhhhhh... I'm lying here in bed after using the body wash and I can't even sleep, I smell so wonderful! Thank you Theirry Mugler! :)

26 April, 2012

jonuiuc's avatar

I really like this cologne, it is very clean smelling and universally appropriate. The cologne for people who really do not like cologne. Some may consider it too simple or safe, and maybe it is, but it projects a very "I am clean and just took a shower and my clothes are clean" vibe, which is a nice scent to have. Good for work or situations where people may take offensive to stronger smells. I find I wear it more in the spring or summer, think t-shirts, polo shirts, chino's, etc. Great for daytime and more casual wear. I think for nighttime you'd be playing it a little safe, but it is quite versatile. Because it smells very fresh and clean, it is not totally out of place year-round.

29 February, 2012