Neutral Reviews of Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sidewinder's avatar

Vetiver magically becomes fleeting soap. The cleanest most inoffensive thing you will ever smell. How do you grade something so neutral in aroma? Weird. At < $25 would be a true steal, otherwise a pass. 3 out of 5

09 August, 2014

Ryanmmas26's avatar

This is an ok scent but it wasnt nearly as soapy as a lot of people on youtube were claiming. I get just a safe,simple green scent with a touch of musk and thats about it. Its just a safe,inoffensive scent to be used for casual and maybe some formal events. Nothing special but its not bad either. Although the mugler cologne isnt that great I really did enjoy the mugler cologne bodywash :D

23 February, 2014

wormstir's avatar

Soapy Vetiver and musk.

something about this frag doesn't work on me - I think the 'secret ingredient' is spearmint, and that combined with the horrible cheap musk smell turns wrong and dirty on my skin, something like a bucket of soapy dirty mop water - yuck!

If you like the vibe of this stuff I would recommend 2 fragrances that are (imo) better - Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino and Creed's Original Vetiver

24 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2014)

RichNTacoma's avatar

Safe and easy

Lemony, clean, and a touch of spices in the dry down. Really not a great deal more than that for me.

20th August, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

A great alternative daily fragrance, as it gives the feeling of sitting in the shade on a beautiful meadow ... but then evolves into something more. Although recognized as an excellent fragrance is not my favorite.

18 January, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

Soapy with a grassy vetiver drydown.

It is fresh, but a misconception many people have about this one is that since it is a clean scent, that it is a safe scent. It is very strident and sharp (it really comes at you). I've asked some friends their opinions on this one. Some liked it, but one actually said it was the worst cologne she ever smelled in her entire life. I was shocked to hear that since all the hype on basenotes said it was really safe.

She said it smelled like the antibiotic liquid in packages of bandages at the drug store. Smelling it, I can see where she would get this comparison. It is pungent, but in a good way.

Both the projection and longevity are good. It's versatile, good for every season, affordable. The price makes it an excellent value.

Some will love this scent, some will hate it and some will think it's just okay. For most of you though, you'll like it but won't think it's anything special.

Its cheap enough for a blind buy and chances are you won't like it, if you welcome a big diverse collection and your tastes aren't that steep.

But, again, don't let the clean soapy feel trick you. This still takes an open mind to appreciate, and it is received more kindly by fragrance collectors than the average person.

02 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

charger's avatar

I'm so glad I got a sample of this before blind buying it, definitely not for me. This smells like a perfume my mom used to wear like Wind Song or something along those lines. I was looking for a soapy, clean smell and this is far too feminine and perfumy for my taste. It smells good on its own i suppose, and I know it is meant as unisex, so I give it a neutral.

25 December, 2012

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

The expensive version of Fairy liquid, clean-cut soapyness. With hints of green and musk, i do quite like it, but come on would i really pay £60 to smell like something which is commonly used and buy for £2 in Tesco. My mind is not yet made up, but you never know this might grow on me and the depths of the scent hide something i've not been able to remember where i have smelt it before. I welcome the chase !

21st February, 2012

Minkymaid's avatar

England England

My partner wore this today. I took one sniff and blurted out 'You smell like my Dad's head!'. The 'mystery S ingredient' from the marketing blurb is revealed... Old Spice, 1970s style. Checking out what's supposedly in this cologne and my Dad's favourite hair cream I have no idea why they smell alike ( or even if they do, I haven't smelled Old Spice since I was a kid). Still, a happy scent inspired blast from the past. If you want to smell unexpectedly like a middle aged man from the 70s - this one's your retro baby.

29 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2013)

Darvant's avatar

Clean, lemony , soapy (in the sense of bath soap or washing detergent kind of smell), airy, musky and a bit crisp, with a spicy, slightly tobacco rounded background and a starring classic bergamot whirling around. The beginning is grassy-hesperidic but the bitterness lasts just for a while before the aroma sliding towards this sort of soapy-orangy (neroli-petit grain-orange flower), musky distinguished base. The soapy musk is sort of "laundry/toilette" type because conjures a bit the freshness of washed clothes and toilette detergents. The dry down is still hesperidic, softly musky, aromatic with a touch of tobacco and dusty-prickly spiciness. Nice fragrance for long spring or summer days out in contact with nature even if the touch of synthetic Mugler's sophistication could be too much for a properly sunny/daily sort of fragrance. A good light classic scent anyway.

14 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2014)

Force of One's avatar

Clean and soapy, reminds me of a younger, more hip version of 4711. Didn't get the longevity that other reviews have experienced. Defintely a "summer time/warm weather scent only" to my nose.

Would never buy it for myself, but if gotten for a gift I would wear it occasionally.

17 October, 2010

Grottola's avatar

Mugler Cologne is a nice, clean soapy inoffensive fragrance that is surely pleasant and good for occasions when you wanna just smell clean, but it doesn't last very long, and at times it can be a bit headache inducing for me. However, there are other "clean" and "soapy" scents that do the job better when I want to wear one, e.g. Original Vetiver by Creed.

Thumbs up to neutral.

03 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2011)

poppacooter's avatar

love the top notes,

hate the dry down, the dry down is missing depth its got a stale thin smell to it,

if it would maintain the top notes i would change my rating but i just cant get over the thin stale dry down,

the dry down is like flat 7 up or flat sprite. that's the only real way i can think to describe it.

28 January, 2010

bokaba's avatar

Boring and uninspiring at best. I expected a clean, soapy, transparent scent and got a soapy, fruity, fresh, exceedingly feminine scent instead. Not worth it. I would go with a more classic cologne if you can. Perhaps the "S" stands for stagnation--a stagnant, unmoving construction with little to no development?

19 November, 2009

Redbeard's avatar

Yes, this is indeed soap, and is a unisex product that I feel really is unisex. It's cheerful, green and flowery right out of the bottle, and always seems very contemporary to me, almost to the point that I feel like I'm not "with-it" enough for it. In theory, it should be the perfect summer scent, and to a large extent it fits the bill. Still, there's a chemical aspect to it, almost like it's trying too hard to prove how consummately soapy it can be. By the drydown, I can't find the heady green floweriness that hooked me in the top; it has become a hollow shell, an oily residue that croaks at the top of its feeble voice "Wait, I'm still here and I'm still soap! See!?" But now it brings to mind that nasty sticky spot of soap that you missed rinsing off in the shower, only to discover half an hour later. Orignal Vetiver is rosier, and "plantier" overall, with much less of the alkaline slime. However, I'll still give Mugler credit for smelling like what it's meant to, even until the bitter end, and even if it does so in a different sense than when it started.

11th July, 2009

itsthepens's avatar

fairly non-descript really, i can see what this is meant to be 'the cologne for people who don't like fragrance'. very clean and soapy (i suspect the 's' ingredient is ACTUAL soap...), there's a very mild vetiver character to it and a bland non-descript citrus aura. a couple of hours in a surprisingly floral heart was in full flight, although still in the vein of clean/fresh/soapiness.

i'd love this as laundry detergent, but that's about it.

16 May, 2009

adonis's avatar

I so wanted to like this one as I'm looking for a nice summer scent. Unfortunately, it's not going to be this. It isn't bad, nor is it offensive. I just get a scented toilet paper vibe from the dry-down. Maybe it's the little hint of vetiver in the mix. Worth trying, but not worth buying.

21st March, 2009

marioslg's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

It remindes me the old 70s-80s style perfumes but should be consider modern. This perfume makes a travel, from citrus-lime smell once you put it on your skin to a more creamy-bitter orange-tone.
    It is light and especially appopriate for summer. It has a tone and it reminds me "Attika", a very cheap cologne sold in Cyprus for only EUR 2 per 300 ml but is not "Attika", it's Thierry Mugler.
    A rather stranger perfume for our days and if you ask me, a must for someone who wants a full collection or perfumes.
    My wife says that is more a female perfume rather that a masculine male perfume. I agree that is not the masculine perfume but in any case, not a female perfume.
    It's maybe for very taff men who want a slight decrease in their mascularity.
    I beleive that someone need some time to get used to the smell. Will give it a try and will see!

06 March, 2009

da_markos's avatar

Poland Poland

hmm it's quite nice... but it just smells like nivea shaving cream for 1$ !!!!! so i will buy this cream....

03 December, 2008

beltz's avatar

Similar to Original Vetiver, but the dry down is different. It gets far woodier, and a wee bit smoky. Also, it does not smell as "clean" as original vetiver. Regardless, it is a nice scent to own and I would say it is also better than Annick Goutal's vetiver.

17 July, 2008

jalexhrovat's avatar

In all honesty, this one is so light that I couldn't smell it over the other fragrances lingering in the fragrance dept. at Macy's. By the time I got to a smell-free zone, I could barely smell it on the card. It is very fresh...like irish spring soap, except a tenth of the strength.
    This really is for people who don't want to project themselves too much, but still want to be fresh smelling when someone gets uncomfortably close to them.

15 July, 2008

lachrymal's avatar

Well, it smells good, but it smells like a woman. I bought this based on reviews and the fact that most reviews on this site were both by men and positive. I'm a fan of "fresh" fragrances, but this really smells like a woman. I sense an overpowering floral scent and almost no citrus. Perhaps the wrong scent was decanted into my bottle...

12 December, 2007

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The topnotes remind me a lot of the lovely Story: refreshing, sparkling, green and citrusy. Unfortionately, the neroli and orange blossom soon starts to dominate, so it's almost like layering Story with a soliflore. I don't get the concept of orange blossom cologne, the flower has none of the freshness of citrus fruits, only the gourmandy sweetness. The neroli in Cologne is sweet, perfumey and powdery on my skin. I'd rather have Story for warm weather.

10th April, 2007

generalmannager's avatar

Norway Norway

When i tried this fragance i was specting something citrus and grassy. It does smell like something citrus but it smells like lemon flavored Jello, not what i was specting.. Lets just say i thought i would be a little bit more acid like 212. And that "s" ingridient... i just have a great feeling it stands for "synthethic". I would buy eau de Cartier better.

13 March, 2007

Randolph314's avatar

This is nice, but a pretty ordinary take on "fresh." It smells grassy and soapy with a hint of citrus. It's similar to Original Vetiver in the way that all vetiver-based scents are similar, but they aren't identical. Mugler has a sour note all it's own and worse longevity.

The problem with vetiver is that it's a fairly weak note. As a result, vetiver scents tend not to be very nuanced - because the inclusion of other notes would overwhelm the vetiver - or strong. Mugler suffers from both of these problems. The longevity, in particular, is problematic.

30th October, 2006

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

The top notes are fab: bergamot and petitgrain,really green still fresh, but the the dry down,ops no! it's just like my grammy soap, it actually reminds me my child hood when i was whased in the bath but, even the idea, it's cool, doesn't suit really my kind of ideal aroma:(

25 September, 2006

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

For a clean and fresh scent, hey! It's actually not boring. At least it's more interesting than Gendarme, let alone the likes of Z by Zegna, Armani and the other 1001 'fresh unisex' designer mall scents. It's neither aquatic nor fruity nor is the opening poignantly irritating; no tear gas lemons here. Still,there are far better ones (oh let's see: Versace's L'Homme, Loewe para Hombre, and Signoricci, offhand)
    Comparisons to Creed's Original Vetiver I find a little odd, and a poor selling point. O.V. is simply better.

31st July, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2009)

Deskexplorer2's avatar

This is a very clean scent, NOT A GO OUT CLUBBING FRAGRANCE IMO. For the best effect, use this one in the morning, before heading out, as it will have the wearer smelling shower fresh and clean. It only lasts about 2-3 hours on me.
    I have brought a few fragrances blindly, just based on the reviews of fellow Basenotes members, but I must stressed that anyone who is considering on buying this fragrance should obtain a sample first.

25 April, 2006

Clayton's avatar

4711 + soap + green dye + musky, feminine drydown. I'd rather just stick with the 4711.

14 February, 2006

FRAGRANCESTAR's avatar

very citusy unisex fragrance. i think its more for a man than a woman.

10th November, 2005