Positive Reviews of Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Infini's avatar

Wales Wales

Mugler Cologne makes a refreshing change from all the gourmand Mugler perfumes. I was originally expecting it to be more of a classic white Eau de Cologne, along the lines of 4711, Imperiale etc, but it's actually a very clean, soapy green scent, which is quite different from anything I've smelled before. Lovely in hot weather.

31st July, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Theirry Mugler's Cologne is a modern, decidedly futuristic take on a classic recipe. His inspiration was the scent of a Moroccan soap he came across whilst on holiday.

I'll be honest, this does indeed smell exactly like soap (no surprise)! When I smell this I am reminded of an exclusively made luxury soap bar in a hotel bathroom. I find it very refreshing and uplifting.

I basically get a very sweet, green citrus vibe, coupled with a heavy dose of clean, white musk. I think I also get a faint hint of Vetiver, although it isn't listed. It's not a bitter at all to my nose (unlike other types of Eau de Cologne's). Instead it's very smooth, and not in any way sharp smelling or overpowering.

I don't think I really have anything bad to say about this. I do get the slight "synthetic" feel which others have mentioned, but even then it still achieves it's goal of smelling clean, fresh and inoffensive. This is the one I reach for when I don't want to smell "complicated", just clean and ready for the day ahead.

Well done to M. Mugler for coming up with this. His aim here was to create a perfume "for people who don't like the smell of perfume". It's simple and does that job very well. It's a modern, fresh take on what is (in my opinion) a very old and conventional formula, which has been repeated too many times. This doesn't feel like it belongs with the rest of them. Completely fresh, unisex and modern as ever. I like it.

10th July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

I’ve put off writing a review of Mugler Cologne because I fear I’m at least partially anosmic to it. It takes A LOT of this stuff to make any impression on my nose. What I can smell, I like: a simple spiced citrus and dry wood composition (with what smells to me like a lovely cardamom note,) and an unapologetically synthetic soapy white musk foundation. It’s crisp, it’s clean, and it’s distinctive. It’s novel, but it’s also understated. If you’re looking for a “clean” scent, but have had your fill of the ubiquitous “fresh” aquatic scents and fruity violet leaf fougères, try Mugler Cologne.

19 June, 2014

marcuslaughter's avatar

Great summer scent

Picked up some of this in Paris last year...I don't wear it much, because it wears off so quickly, but as it is getting warmer, I have started putting some on after a shower, and it makes you feel cleaner than the shower, but by the time I've dried off, this scent has almost worn off.

Like some wonderful type of flower that blooms only for a few days, this fragrance is great while it lasts.

Thankfully, I got the 10 oz bottle.

Pros: Brings to mind freshly cut grass
    Cons: longevity is weak

10th June, 2013

Augustmooninks's avatar

Great for Summer

Love this scent! Great for summer, better for day, but good for night as well. I’ve worn it for 10 years and never had it go bad. I would say it is more masculine, clean and almost classic.  I get a lot of complements on this one.

Pros: no one dilikes
    Cons:

22 May, 2013

frostyicy's avatar

Invigorating!

Mugler Cologne can easily join the rest of the Pure flankers as Pure Freshness, this is my favorite of the Thierry Mugler line. This fragrance is a straight up fresh and clean fragrance. To me it isn't soapy, it is just fresh and clean! I definitely get the Neroli and Musk in this one. This is a perfect fragrance for any event. If you have just gotten out of the shower a spray of this stuff will enhance your cleanliness and make you feel refreshed! Mugler Cologne is the fragrance I grab when I want to smell fresh and clean, or when I am unsure of what I want to wear. This fragrance will forever be a part of my collection.

Sillage/Projection: 7/10
    Longevity 10/10 (10+ hours)
    Scent: 10/10
    Compliment factor: 10/10 (Clean and fresh)
    Purpose: Any and all
    Season: All year round

16 May, 2013

SWAMIROSE's avatar

Clean but not "soapy" to me. Fresh. Not very strong but very pleasant. Always reminds me of someone ironing a clean shirt. (?)

15 April, 2013

hotreds's avatar

Ivory soap with some "green" notes. CLEAN!

18 February, 2013

's avatar

Mugler Cologne is a wonderful green/citrus/fresh scent. I guess it's one of the best scents on this range. Smells clean and soapy. Suitable for hot days. My only complaint is about it's weak lasting power. This is definetely a must have for any collector. Thumbs up!

07 January, 2013

Bigtruck260's avatar

Fresh and clean...fresh and clean...

This is the perfect bedtime fragrance for me. I like to hit the sheets smelling good after a nice shower - and MC fits that niche. For that reason, sillage and longevity are not all that important.

I spray it on my kids before they go to birthday parties so that they smell decent after running around playing for 6 hours.

It's not the head turner, but it is (ahem) fresh and clean.

12 October, 2012

Francolino's avatar

fresh and sincere

30th August, 2012

Tucansam's avatar

Thierry mugler cologne

this cologne completely renewed my interest in fragrances. Having not tried or purchased a fragrance in over 10 years it was time to find a new one or as it turns out many new ones .Well back to mugler cologne

Went online to find one and saw men's magazine recommendations which lead me to YouTube reviewers  who lead me to basenotes . Amazed with basenotes and read reviews and forms for months and finally joined the forums but was very intimidated to write a review being a novice as well as finding it difficult to verbally express my impression and or more accurately my feelings and emotional evoked by a fragrance.

Went to our local Dillard's and tried several and this one was love at first sniff and I instantly loved it . Even though the hot SA was telling me to buy Chanel blue and one year latter feel the same way  by the way  2nd and third place were Chanel blue and A*men.

There is a lot written about this one and a lot of information that really only confuses
    Rather than informs and glad  my first impression was from the scent rather than any pre conceded  notions.I find it not similar to any of the creeds i have sampled or any other scent that i have tried and i tried to find some other fragrance similar that I like as much, but could not.
    It opening is incredibly satifying and gives me solace when I'm blue. It really makes me feel happy. Theres a Limey/lemony opening thats the neroli petigran and orange flower. Its wonderful fresh and clean. Once that dies down I get the smell of fresh bathed skin. Like you are in bed with someone and inhale deeply with your eyes closed. After that it dries down to a clean musk smell The opening fades after maybe 15 minutes than the bathed skin smell which people associate w soap last maybe 1 hour and then a clean slightly flora musk last for 4 hours but get occasional whiffs here and there after that. Incredibly versatile and a must for any collectors. its a real winner!!!

23 August, 2012

verycharlie's avatar

Putting aside the 'alien plant life' business, the really super-futuristic thing about Mugler's Cologne is that it's an instant shower in a bottle. Truly it's an essential utility. I've had my sample for a week and it's already indispensable for: wearing to bed at night to feel like you had a shower when you didn't - wearing in the morning to feel nice during that (drink tea/ feed cat/ smoke breakfast ) period in between waking up and getting showered, dressed and putting on your proper perfume - radically improving a hangover by removing all trace of fester, leaving you free to loll around in bed all day feeling clean and lovely with only pain and nausea left to deal with. It's great.

As for the smell, there's something about it that reminds me of my dad's skin, which always had an distinctive clean/oily, vaguely citrus-ish smell, the unmistakable smell of a particular gelatinous, alien green industrial skin cleaner used by mechanics everywhere since the dawn of time. Could the mysterious 'S' ingredient be Swarfega?! Calling on any grease monkey fume heads out there to confirm this wild theory.

12 August, 2012

barclaydetolly's avatar

What a beautiful scent. This isn't all that complex; it's not going to bowl anyone over; it's not likely to be anyone's favorite; and women won't swoon. But it smells damn good, and that's its merry job. Very safe, very nice cologne. I can't think of a better work scent for most people.

10th August, 2012

sphinxlike's avatar

The epitome of natural freshness. This stuff just smells great, very inoffensive and very clean. I get almost a 'freshly cut grass' accord in the opening mixed with a slightly salty and soapy smell which dries down to a subtle musk.

I agree with what people say about it being a fragrance for those who don't really like fragrance as it's almost like a second skin that lasts 8+ hours on me. This is one that I wear in the warmer weather for work or for when I simply want to chill out and just smell clean, fresh and good. A staple in my collection, and very, very affordable, fantastic juice.

03 August, 2012

Tony T's avatar

very clean and natural smelling. suitable for all ages, best for milder weather. a definate classic and pleasant gentlemen's scent..

26 June, 2012

drseid's avatar

This is a simple enough concept, it opens with a super-fresh orange blossom note backed up by other citrus including even a hint of lime if my nose is correct, and it pretty much stays linear from start to finish. The best way to describe the overall accord is the scent of freshly laundered clothes, or maybe what you may smell like after having just showered with fine bath products. Projection is minimal and longevity below average.

While the orange blossom accord in Mugler Cologne is not going to set the world afire in its composition or complexity, when viewed for what it is it is hard to deny its success. It is cologne for people who just want to smell clean and fresh without calling any attention to themselves. In short, it indeed achieves its objective of being a scent for people who don't want to usually wear scents. I see a strong resemblance to the superior Cologne du Parfumeur by Guerlain, but that cologne has a bit more going on and has much more backbone in its tenacity and strength. This one is an even safer bet to wear if looking to keep your scent obscured than that safe bet of a scent. I'll give Mugler Cologne a very good 3.5 stars out of 5. Well done minimalism, and a great value.

23 June, 2012

Smyle12's avatar

The EDT and the accompanying body wash are two of my favourite things in life right now. Nothing on Earth has the right to smell so bright, heavenly, beautiful, or fresh. This fragrance is the embodiment of what spring in heaven or perhaps some lush, verdant, distant world must smell like. Ahhhhhhh... I'm lying here in bed after using the body wash and I can't even sleep, I smell so wonderful! Thank you Theirry Mugler! :)

26 April, 2012

jonuiuc's avatar

I really like this cologne, it is very clean smelling and universally appropriate. The cologne for people who really do not like cologne. Some may consider it too simple or safe, and maybe it is, but it projects a very "I am clean and just took a shower and my clothes are clean" vibe, which is a nice scent to have. Good for work or situations where people may take offensive to stronger smells. I find I wear it more in the spring or summer, think t-shirts, polo shirts, chino's, etc. Great for daytime and more casual wear. I think for nighttime you'd be playing it a little safe, but it is quite versatile. Because it smells very fresh and clean, it is not totally out of place year-round.

29 February, 2012

colormechris's avatar

When I worked at Macy's in the early 2000's, you would often find me at the fragrance counters, sampling the new releases...hounding the ladies for samples. I vividly remember when Thierry Mugler Cologne was released. I zoomed in on it because of the color. I love fluorescent green. Then I remembered Angel and my hand drew back. But a quick sniff of the bottle and full spray later I was delighted. It was soapy, springy, fresh and yet unusual. It was what I had hoped the headache inducing Issey M. Pour Homme would have smelled like. Too, they had a similar vibe. That sort of synthetically fresh thing happening. But the Mugler had the soapiness. It even brought to mind that liquid soap you used to see in public mens lavatories. It was fluorescent green and resided in a bulbous hand dispenser. That stuff smelled pretty good too. I wonder if this was the mysterious soap of Mugler's childhood. And if that's the case; what was he doing in a mens room at such a tender age? But I digress.
    Mugler Cologne was created by a Mr. Alberto Morillas, who I'm assuming is of Spanish extraction. A quick glance at his list of creations reveals a body of truly impressive work. He gave us Blv Pour Homme, a fragrance I've always found rather marvelous and unsung. It shares a certain quality with Mugler Cologne too. It's that decidedly soapy, clean and comforting, sorta barber-shoppy thing the Spanish do so well. Spanish and Portuguese soaps are heavenly! Again, Mr. Morillas may be Swedish for all I know; but he sure has a nose!
    I would recommend this as a staple for hot weather and a great go to basic...Basic! Huh! Now that's something I never would've expected from Msr. Mugler!

27 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2012)

laventeljonnie's avatar

South Africa South Africa

I was still a student when a friend took me on a trip to the big city, not having had a car at that point I didn't get round much and on a student budget, shopping was second priority – I didn’t plan on buying much. At a fancy department store I was casually approached by a friendly sales agent offering assistance and an engaging conversation led to a few sprits of the green stuff on my wrist. I was lost, mesmerised, entrapped by the neroli and orange blossom top notes. Why I was so obsessed could probably be traced to the days I was a young boy admiring the orange tree in our garden. I left the shop that day with a bottle of Mugler Cologne 100ml EDT.
    I don’t experience it as too soapy, the blend of musk in the base notes perfectly complements the bergamot and orange blossom. But it is not called Mugler Cologne for nothing – it is very subtle and projects like a cologne.
    Listed as unisex fragrance, but most would argue that this one errs on the feminine side.
    For me, this is the definitive après l’ondée fresh summer fragrance, second to few.

09 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 February, 2012)

mikesc's avatar

Love this one. Clean and refreshing scent. Not sure about longevity yet. I heard I needed to try Prada Infusion before I purhased this one so I did. Wife preferred the TM Cologne over Prada and so did I. Prada had a luxurious soap scent, but the TM was a cleaner more pronounced experience.

02 January, 2012

exciter76's avatar

What can I say about my beloved Mugler Cologne that hasn’t already been said? It is the epitome of clean, soapy scents. Mugler Cologne achieves a level of perfection most fragrances spend decades attempting to attain and often fail by smelling too artificial and plasticky. It is so seemingly simple as to make one slap himself on the forehead and ponder aloud, “Why didn’t I think of that?” or, “Why didn’t I find this sooner?”

It is probably silly to want to smell like a bar of soap all day but sometimes it is just the perfect scent. Sometimes I want a scent that is unfussy but subtly magnetic—you can thank the musk for the magnetism involved in this fragrance. MC has no pretenses and it does not want to pretend to be anything other than clean and honest. If a Saturday or Sunday morning could be encapsulated in a glass bottle, this would be its juice.

MC is long-lasting and wonderfully lingering. It is strong but not overbearing; you only need to spritz strategically all over and only once. This fragrance is so good I believe it should be a mandatory scent in any fragrance-aficionado’s collection.

10th December, 2011

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

I love it,not exactly irish spring but a great layer to ad a bit of a sexy tone. A nice out of the shower smell.

06 September, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

Mugler Cologne is very simplistic yet beautiful all the same.

It's refreshing yet unique which is a quality that I very rarely find in a citrus aromatic. I can see how this fragrance easily becomes unisex, its softness is feminine enough on a woman and its slightly sharp citrusy notes would compliment a man.

The citrus notes in Mugler Cologne actually become quite sweet but certainly not nauseatingly so. The orange blossom and musk balance this fragrance out well, insuring that the scent doesn't become too sharp or linear.

A sense of being lightly refreshed and revitalised is achieved successfully through this fragrance. The lasting strength is good, at least five hours, and the sillage very mild, which is great news for those wishing to wear this in the Summer months. I certainly recommend.

05 June, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Cologne is by definition a light perfume, or as someone said "perfumes for people who doesn't like them". Said that MC can be quite anonimous at the first smell, but if you wear it you will surely notice it has something special and "different". The opening with citruses and bergamot is clean, crispy and almost invigorating. In the drydown I get musk and softly piquant spices. The result is an understated but quite distinctive light scent, absolutely reommended as a good alternative to generic fresh fragrances. Well done.

A good example of a traditional theme revised with a modern twist.

My suggestion is: If you like it, buy at least 5 bottles as MC is so light that you will need half a bottle anytime you'll decide to wear this fragrance.

05 April, 2011

silentrich's avatar

Makes a better after shave than a cologne. I've changed my review on this one as I didn't wear it enough to give it a chance. After a week of wearing it as cologne I'm really starting to enjoy this. The sillage is very low and it sits close to the skin but it does have decent projection and it actually lasts a lot longer than I expected it to. Clean scents are not my favorite because most I've tried turn into something boring in the drydown. This one is clean all the way though.

14 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2011)

Spoombung's avatar

My first impression is that this is too much like Mild Green Fairy Liquid and other dish-washing liquids, air fresheners and household cleaning products and I can't take it seriously. You can smell like an ad-man's idea of modern cleanliness with this stuff if you want. The Drydown is a common, unremarkable, slightly soapy musk thing.

It's okay, I suppose, but pretty dull.

EDiT: I've changed my mind about this one after enjoying the sample bottle so much. It began to grow on me. The washing up liquid smell obviously became addictive (I do enough washing up as it is!) so I had to go out and get a bottle!

The most expensive bottle of washing up liquid I've ever bought! Thumbs up.

11th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2011)

jtd's avatar

I try to eat an integrated, healthy diet, but sometimes I’ll have a protein bar. I couldn’t live on them forever, but they’re handy in a pinch, provide some nutrition and are marginally better than a chocolate bar. I think of them as fake food, but they have their uses.

If ‘normal’ cologne is a light meal, Mugler’s Cologne is a protein bar: functionally synthetic, easy to consume, popular with the gym queens.

26 February, 2011

TheBuyer's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Clean, fresh, soft, soapy. I guess everything has been sad. Lasts ages on skin, projects littlle but just enough. Smells really good. Like angel´s fragrance. Pure, inocent. Very good. Gotta test it for yourself.

07 February, 2011