Reviews of Cool Water by Davidoff

Find out more about Cool Water by Davidoff in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ClassicFan's avatar

I used to like this until I got into Green Irish Tweed. The drydown is flat and herbal in a bad way.

23rd November, 2014

NazguL2's avatar

This has to be thumb up because is a really good summer scent that has the honor to be the father and inspirations of so much masterpieces. And is really worthy cause is very cheap.
    In my skin the sillage or the projection could be better but... Is a fresh cheap scent, I can't ask for more.

10th August, 2014

Viper1's avatar

A few considerations about all fragrances:

Our sense of smell peaks before we are 10 and can begin to deteriorate before we hit our 20's and even before 16. It is also dependent on our state of health.

My point: the belief that one can depend on olfactory memory is dicey business. It may very well be that if we do not think a scent smells the same way as it did 30 years ago, it may because we have lost the power to discriminate scents as we once did.

Second, I just don't get the unfavorable comparisons to Green irish Tweed. That juice costs about $200. Would you expect an off-the-rack suit--even a Roger Laurin suit--that costs $300 to fit and look as equisite as a $1,500 bespoke suit from Alton Lane?

Insofar as the criticism that the first hit of Cool water "lasts forever", that, too, is open to debate. Numerous individuals have noted 15 minutes; I myself, 30 minutes before it loses the initial bite.

The bottom line is this scent gives you a great bang for the buck when it even merits a comparison with a fragrence from the house of Creed and the like or dislike of a fragrence is such an idiosyncratic thing, why should one question why one person gives a thumbs up and another a thumbs down. Both have their reasons and each is valid--for that person.

I'm going with the "thumbs up" crowd until someone can empirically demonstrate that this is an inferior scent not worth the money and not deserving of its iconic status.

05th July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

Does anybody really need another review of Cool Water? Beats me, but here are my two (s)cents:

Yes, it smells a lot like Green Irish Tweed, especially for the first half hour or so. And yes, it smells a little bit more obviously chemical. It's a relatively linear scent on me, and the drydown does not arrive at the familiar Creed “millésime” base.

It's pleasant enough, if somewhat cheap smelling, but what works against it most is that it's over-used and too often imitated. In all fairness I should forgive Cool Water for spawning so many inane progeny, but I'm not sure that I'm a big enough person.

11th June, 2014

Unvisible's avatar

I'm going to have to agree with gimpy on this... having owned both cool water and GIT, and my pick any day is also cool water. It smells more cohesive and decided, whereas green irish tweed smells like an off-beat "green note" flanker to cool water. I also cannot find an occasion that cool water doesn't work. 5 stars!

16th May, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Its clearly that Cool Water has suffered from the latest ban on oakmoss. Why Turin still gives it 5 stars is a mystery to me. This scent smells too harsh now, not only in its top, where thats not a big problem, but also in its mid and base now. Gone is the sparkle of the radiating thick softness of oakmoss that was needed to put the overdosis of dihydromyrcenol into balance. The bone-structure is still there, but it lacks the beautifull soft fabric of a perfect fitted dress that covered up the raw edges of the body. Gone is the shine of elegance, the beauty. I guess this shows how important the raw aromatics of natural origin still are in the modern formula's of perfumes. I cant give it thumbs down because the original Cool Water was so freaking (refreshing) original. Some memories are hard to ban...(yes, im from the 80's area..!)

24th April, 2014 (Last Edited: 27th May, 2014)

emberfly's avatar

The opening is very strong and harsh. Overpowering and unpleasant. Like metal and SALT, and very synthetic.

About an hour later it smells fantastic. Like

Pros: great price, lovely dry-down

cons: harsh opening that lasts ~an hour. Lasts FOR-EV-ER. So long, in fact, that I think it is negative.

13th April, 2014

Archer51's avatar

Okay here we go. This is a great classic scent that gets trashed all the time for being over-worn, generic, powdery or whatever. Not a lot of people wear it anymore it seems at least not as much as they used to but it is a classic and great for any starter collection like myself. Women dig it too but it doesn't float everyone's boat! Years ago, I was at a summer camp and before the dance night a counselor let me wear it and I really liked the fresh scent and it brings memories back of that night. I do not wear this all the time but great to throw on in the mix for casual use.

15th March, 2014

gimpy's avatar

The GOAT fragrance as far as I'm concerned. I went twenty years between wearing Cool Water (going through 2 4oz bottles of GIT in between). I've owned and tested almost all niche brands, yet if I ran out of my house because it was on fire I'd probably grab this (after briefly thinking about grabbing Rive Gauche).

Don't let the Creed/GIT fanboys fools you (and I say this as someone who considers Creed his favorite house), Cool Water is the better scent. GIT is too heady, too floral, too sweet. Cool Water is decidedly more attractive and masculine. If GIT is the smart, refined exchange student, Cool Water is the popular jock athlete giving him a wedgie in the locker room. Even at the same price I'd take Cool Water all day. What are GIT pumpers gonna say "I paid 5x as much for GIT and even though people think I'm wearing Cool Water, I'll admit Cool Water's a good scent?"

You know that feeling when you discover a new scent that you love only to lose it a year later? Well every time I smell this I still feel as if I've been born anew.

Forget you biases, forget what you've read (especially here), and smell it for youself. There's a reason Luca Turin gave it five stars.

22nd February, 2014

laurent's avatar

Like a good pair of 501's - Cool Water is Classic

LIKE A GOOD PAIR OF 501's

Cool Water is Classic

Super green and mint fresh - this is full morning power that do last well.

It will leave a good "mossy" feel at the end of the day.

Non complicate - easy to wear this is a very positive scent to wear - full of masculine energy.

No extras frills but a good recommended Classic freshness !!!!

Pros: fresh simplicity
    Cons: none"

25th August, 2013

dallasfan's avatar

Opens up smelling kind of like fresh cut grass, but after 30-60 minutes it smells better, and it's strong enough for others to smell, and lasts on me.

Its good i've smelled it too many times to give it a 4 so i'll give it a 3.5, if you haven't smelled it before you'll probably like it, i sometimes get sick of it, but for the most part it's a solid scent.

Pros: Lasts long on my skin, and smells good on my skin, after about 30-60 minutes it smells even better and it's strong enough, you'll get compliments.
    Cons: It smells kind of like fresh cut grass at first, not bad smelling, but it's my least favorite part about it, but it only get better from there."

16th August, 2013

kris99's avatar

refreshing, sexy, casual, classic

my mom loves the smell of cool water, so i blind bought a .5oz bottle at wallmart for 13$. This fragrance is a personal favorite,its a classic. its a blus smell, with a touch of musc to give it that great edge, its a scent for the summer and spring. i got this in june, havent tried it fall or winter, im pretty sure it will do fine in fall as well. highly recomend it, you cant go wrong with this one.

Pros: classic
    Cons:

12th August, 2013

Gary F's avatar

Fresh & Green

Great scent! I did the side by side comparison with GIT. Loved both - GIT was more green and Cool Water was more aquatic, but they are similar. Close enough that I wouldn't buy both. If I decide to purchase one of the two, it would probably be Cool Water.

Pros: Green Without Being Overbearing
    Cons: A Bit Harsh in the Opening

28th June, 2013

BladeUK's avatar

A classic

Davidoff Coolwater is a classic and I wore it when I was 18 and I'm now 35. Women loved it when I wore it back then and I sometimes go back to it every now and then and I will still get compliments.

I think so many people have copied it now though e.g. Channel Bleu has a similar smell but with a deeper talcum powder hint in my opinion.

I don't believe Green Irish Tweed is the same - GIT is almost like a grass version of the same scent whilst Coolwater is an ocean version.

Coolwater was the first pricey proper aftershave/cologne that I bought as a teenager and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Pros: Fresh aquatic muskiness
    Cons: Too many people know what it is now!

22nd June, 2013

silentrich's avatar

I've been wearing Cool Water since it came out, but I haven't owned a bottle for at least 15 years. I did buy and go through a bottle of the Frozen flanker which is also a nice variation. This is just classic stuff and although everyone is familiar with the smell, many people still find this to be one of the most pleasing to them. This is probably because of all the memories this brings back for the 30+ crowd. There are many other fragrances that smell like this and it's father Green Irish Tweed. The difference is that these two do it the best. GIT is the masterpiece. Cool Water is the re print.

16th March, 2013

1billy1's avatar

Scotland Scotland

This fragrance is fresh, clean and masculine, so if you're looking for a good signature scent this is perfect. The first 30 minutes of wearing it is quite strong and smells quite harsh and even cheap, but bear with it! After that initial 30 minutes or so, it develops into a refreshing, lavender scent. This stays throughout the entire time wearing it.

The fragrance generally lasts about 5-6 hours on my skin, and you will definitely get wafts of it when you're out and about. Cool Water is probably best for the hotter months, but its extremely versatile so you can wear it whenever. If you're looking for something spicy, musky, and romantic, this probably isn't the badger for you, I reckon its more of a daytime scent.

Overall, I think this is a brilliant fragrance and I don't see how anybody would dislike it on you, definitely not offensive to the nostrils! Every bloke should have this in his cupboard...

11th March, 2013 (Last Edited: 14th March, 2013)

AHS's avatar

Love this stuff, my sig scent.

I can understand that some people might think this stuff smells like laundry detergent etc.

But i love the clean, fresh scent i get from this, such a pleasant smell i wouldnt mind having under my nose all day!

Thumbs up from me!

19th February, 2013

capital's avatar

Smells like Old Spice Aqua Reef mixed with bug spray.

16th January, 2013

TheSongOfRoland's avatar

I'm pretty new to the frag game, but this was one of the scents that really got me started. Great summer scent, inoffensive, and decent longevity. Price is just about right. It starts out pretty soapy, but dries down to a light aquatic musk that I cant get enough of. A must have for anybody. You've definitely smelled this on somebody before, but not nearly as common in my age group as Axe or Hollister body sprays. Great starter fragrance.

02nd January, 2013

harddanceuk's avatar

This should have stayed in the 80's. In fact its so bad I would go back in time to stop this being made.

29th December, 2012

groomdedz's avatar

Here in my country where designer perfumes/colognes are so damn expensive, this scent is a compliment getter. I know in other countries, this is very common and most people wear it but no, not here. It's a great fresh scent, it reminds me of being a teenager going to LAN parties. Oh, if you smoke, the scent will blend with cool water and it will make it smell like marijuana, no kidding.

This is recommend for all ages but preferably 15 - 25 yrs old.

29th December, 2012

Robzrx7's avatar

I wore this in high school back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I loved it back then and it was very popular with my classmates. As a sophmore I had an idiotic teacher who forbade us from wearing Cool Water in her classroom because according to her it smelled like marijuana. I wore it anyway and she would make me sit outside. Long story short the administration sided with her and I had to cease wearing this fragrance for the semester. If I had known my rights and social networking had existed to the level it does now I would have owned that school today. Anyway I remember Cool Water being a projection and longevity monster back then. It would last through the school day and beyond. A refreshing mint but at the same time smoky musky scent. I didn't wear Cool Water for years and back in 2010 purchased a bottle from Macy's. It was still the same scent I remembered and loved from back in the day but no longer the projection and longevity monster. In fact after 15 minutes I could not even smell it with my nose pressed to my skin. Alas I had to return the bottle. Davidoff I guess is cutting corners to bring the price down even further for the masses. I prefer to pay more for higher quality fragrance. Maybe Ill try Cool Water again in the near future to see if it has improved. Until then I can only give a neutral rating.

07th December, 2012

Bigtruck260's avatar

I wore this in High school...and my female teachers loved it in 1990.
    For me, wearing CW is like eating Golden Grahams cereal.
    It's young for me these days, but I still enjoy it occasionally. Not something
    I'd do every day, but it's comforting to know it's still there if I want it.

24th November, 2012

's avatar

It has became a reference for any fresh cologne. It used to be unique, but has already been ripped off by many other designers. It's a nice option for summer with a nice price too that's worth it for sure! I smell a great combination of mint and lavender mostly.

17th November, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th March, 2013)

sjg3839's avatar

This aquatic fresh and clean smelling fragrance(did I mention generic?) was pretty good years ago. Even though the initial spray smells like Green Irish Tweed (yeah I know, everyone says that) I would buy Green Irish Tweed any day over this one. Notice I said initial spray. After that, Cool Water goes to the shelter, Green Irish Tweed goes to the Marriott. I'm sure Pierre Bourdon knew what he was doing when he came out with Cool Water.

I'm sure he smelled Green Irish Tweed at some point before coming out with this one. Not a bad cologne, but not original and overrated.

11th November, 2012

keagz08's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Amazing scent! Fresh and clean, great for a warm Sunny day although I find it great when I'm just at home having a night in and want to smell amazing. I love this stuff! I get about 6-7 hours longevity and it projects nicely (not strongly) for about 4 of those hours, maybe the vintage CW is better in the longevity department. It doesn't matter though, if you're reading this you should own this

10th November, 2012

Zealot Crusader's avatar

The grandfather of all aquatics that ushered in sport and "cool" fragrances that tried to compete with it right up until the mid 1990's. I find it perfect for a scorching and humid summer day, but it's complete lack of warmth makes it imperceptible in anything but hot weather (it is called "Cool Water" for a reason). It's timeless design means that teens and young adults will be wearing this for decades, and unless chypres or spicy musks come back into fashion, this one will continue to remain at or near the top of the men's fragrance pyramid.

05th November, 2012

wormstir's avatar

really not sure why everyone loves this stuff so much

I have the older version with the script front (which is supposed to be better???)

On me it smells of sharp cheap artificial lemon car freshener and not much else, (citronella) and then I get a strange clashing coriander note that smells awful on me, luckily the whole thing only lasts about an hour before disappearing, there's nothing that particularly attracts me to this scent, except that women like it, hence the neutral rating.

If you really scrunch up your eyes and wish, you can get a squeak of similarity between a few middle notes shared with GIT, but it doesn't really stack up as a GIT replacement if that's what you're after, not really in the same league in any way.

17th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 14th March, 2013)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

I don't get it, CW is a mediocre perfume at the best, and it gets so much brouhaha.
    I have the vintage version (with the script font for Davidoff ) that according to everybody is better than the new version (block letters), so I can not even imagine how awful the new version must be.
    Besides, the market is literally flooded with clones making this perfume as common as houseflies.
    It is not nauseating (well, almost), and it may induce headaches sometimes.

11th October, 2012

Marathon Alchemist's avatar

Let me start by saying that I love Cool Water. I grew up around it. Everyone in my neighborhood wore it but that didn't phase me. It still smelled great but I never bought a bottle of my own because I didn't have to; I'd catch a whiff almost everyday. It smells crisp, clean and fresh. Finally, I bought a bottle of my own last year and sold it off today. I tried wearing it casually but it wasn't casual enough. I tried it wearing it on a couple of nights but fell short. I tried and tried but then I realized that Cool Water wasn't for me and it broke my heart because I love it so much. Either I don't have the personality for it or I outgrew it. In any case, it's pointless to have it in my collection as I kept forcing myself to reach for it.

By the way, Green Irish Tweed doesn't smell like Cool Water to my nose. They're both wonderful fragrances that rightly deserve their adulation.

Heres to another chance encounter, Cool Water.

*edit* I just purchased a bottle of vintage Cool Water and I'm happy to announce that the love affair has begun anew.

06th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 05th May, 2013)