Negative Reviews of Cool Water by Davidoff

Find out more about Cool Water by Davidoff in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

capital's avatar

Smells like Old Spice Aqua Reef mixed with bug spray.

16 January, 2013

harddanceuk's avatar

This should have stayed in the 80's. In fact its so bad I would go back in time to stop this being made.

29 December, 2012

PerfumeCollector's avatar

I don't get it, CW is a mediocre perfume at the best, and it gets so much brouhaha.
    I have the vintage version (with the script font for Davidoff ) that according to everybody is better than the new version (block letters), so I can not even imagine how awful the new version must be.
    Besides, the market is literally flooded with clones making this perfume as common as houseflies.
    It is not nauseating (well, almost), and it may induce headaches sometimes.

11th October, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

It's a decent fragrance for spring days and summer night.
    Start fresh, green and herbal but synthetic with huge dose of LAVENDER! lavender give me the cleaner vibe. Smells like refined and pleasant detergent! lol
    Yeah, it's synthetic and smells like detergent but it's not that bad!
    It's pleasant with very good price and great projection and longevity.
    A casual fragrance when you are at work and your pals don't know much about fragrances and when they smell it on you, they say : wow you smell very good!! lol
    The opening is better than the base. in the base we have a very cheap smell.
    It does smells like GIT. yes. but much more synthetic. GIT smells more natural and have a much better drydown but they smell 80% the same!

08 May, 2012

tacos's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

You can buy this for almost nothing these days and there must be a reason for that...This was a blind buy, just based on the many positive reviews and therefore tried it many times but the outcome was always the same. It is just too synthetic and in the end gives you a headache. Nice try to make a cheap alternative for GIT, but just not good enough...

07 April, 2012

SMCinJPN's avatar

Smells like Bounce fabric softener sheets right out of the dryer.
    I think I will sprinkle the sample I have over my laundry. Ok for clothes, but I don't like it on me. Giving me a headache.

06 February, 2012

Moff's avatar

I really wanted to like this fragrance, and ive tried very hard to after I blind bought it a year or so ago. To be honest the top notes are quite nice and the first 15 min or so is promising...nice and fresh and clean....however the dry down is just an absolute disaster. Smells so cheap and abrasive, i get a cigarette ashtray and body odour vibe and I just want to wash it off my skin.

I can happily wear most super-popular mainstream scents, but not this one.

21st November, 2011

orangefiction's avatar

I only tried this once but the scent was too sharp and harsh for me. I will try it again when I have the chance to see if I will change my mind about this one.

22 September, 2011

Bigsly's avatar

UPDATE: I gave this one yet another chance. I think the note pyramid at fragrantica.com is more accurate: "Top notes include mint and green nuances, lavender, coriander and rosemary. The heart notes include geranium, neroli, jasmine and sandalwood. The base is composed of cedarwood, musk, amber and tobacco."

I get a hint of tobacco, which I like, but overall this is a "blob"-like fragrance to me (not much note separation. Out of that blob, lavender and neroli stick their heads, and there is a sweetness to it that just makes things worse. To me, it's crude and unpleasant, but perhaps this is part of its charm to those who like it (that is, the "swagger," which I view as crudeness). This is the kind of fragrance that led me to think that there is no reason to wear fragrance. Some scented deodorants smell better to me.

The original review: Cloying, "synthetic," lavender-on-roids fragrance that comes across as a "perfumey," crude, "drugstore," "cheapo." Not sure what the appeal ever was, since I didn't wear personal fragrances in 1988. It was so irritating that I had to wash it off right away, so I can't speak to longevity or projection/"sillage." This seems like more of a statement (against the typical "men's" fragrances of that era) than an attempt to create a wearable fragrance. I'd much rather wear something like Eau de Cartier than this if I want a "fresh" fragrance, and I tend to wear ones like Green Jeans in warm weather, just to give you an idea of my preferences.

30th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2011)

marcus93's avatar

Sweden Sweden

A horribly cheap fragrence. Makes me think of an icehockey player on his way home from training. Smells like axe...

15 June, 2011

Mr-Scratch-N-Sniff's avatar

I think the name is misleading. I was expecting a aquatic fragrance but what I got was a dry floral scent. The longevity is not good for me at all. At least 4 sprays and I couldnt smell it after 2 hours. The projection was pretty good during those 2 hours at least. I get a ton of lavender in the top notes. I just cant get over the overload of the lavender that reminds me of my laundry detergent.

02 June, 2011

Jack Hunter's avatar

A poor mans GIT that tries to live in its shadow but fails. A pale reflection of something greater than itself.

15 April, 2011

madpinoy5683's avatar

Philippine Philippine

My dad wore this...usually on special occasions. When he did the top notes usually gave me and my sister nausea, especially when he sprayed some on in the car during a drive to the said occasions. On him Cool Water was loud, VERY loud, and lasted a long time. It's because of this I've been hesitant to wear it. Why would I want to wear something that would make me sick?

Fast forward: Due to the knowledge that I've acquired here about most perfumes it was clear that my dad over-over-applies every cologne he's ever owned. I told him about over-application and Cool Water was still loud on him. I don't know why he likes this stuff. I finally decided to try it on my skin. Oops. After I washed it off I had to lie down for a bit to get the room to stop spinning. Others have said it was synthetic in the dry-down and they pretty much nailed it.

Sorry. I wanted to like CW but this stuff makes me sick...literally.

15 April, 2011

KillerScent's avatar

In my opinion this cologne is overrated .
    This is supposed to be a fresh acquatic scent, but to my nose it's a dry floral scent, very very dry .
    If you want a good acquatic try Bulgari's Acqua Marine or Armani's Acqua di Gio.
    The only good thing on this cologne is that it's cheaper than many others.

03 November, 2010

Pleski's avatar

All I could smell of this fragrance was bubble gum, the pink, fruity, musky kind. Better suited for a younger crowd, a much younger crowd.

17 August, 2010

Grierson's avatar

I like this fragrance. But it is a bad case of being marketed to death and hence has become the smell of chav (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav). In every dodgy bar or nightclub I've ever been in, this has been among the most common odours. Despite my appreciation of it, now it just brings back memories of all those dodgy occasions and people I've encountered who've worn it, most of whom I'd rather forget!

30th July, 2010

smelling something's avatar

I found it too intense, and i don't like the smell very much.
    Also, it smells... how to say... outdated, that classic 80's powerful odors! Not for me.

WARNING: never, i mean NEVER buy a fragance based exclusively on reviews: EVERYONE HAS A PERSONAL TASTE. YOU HAVE TO SMELL IT BY YOURSELF!!!

03 April, 2010

CyberGuy's avatar

My wife bought me this many years ago, and I wore it occasionally to pacify her. I truly disliked this fragrance from the first time I wore it. It starts out smelling pretty good, but quickly turns into a synthetic mess with a slight urine scent on my skin.

I ended up throwing the bottle out six months ago (along with many other crappy frags I had) after I discovered some good frags. I also decided to try GIT since I heard it supposedly smells the same. Thank God it doesn't. It may be similar for the first 5 minutes, but GIT progressively gets better, while CW gets worse.

How this stuff ever became as popular as it is, is beyond me.

03 April, 2010

CharlesB's avatar

When first applied it has a horrible synthetic chemical smell, sort of like a industrial grade cleaner. As for comparison to GIT which I also dislike, it does have the same flour/ green smell, but more synthetic to GIT.

17 February, 2010

jrntnlead's avatar

Ugh, I could not get this off me fast enough. Fresh? Not in the least. It reminds me of taking the compost out to the heap as a kid. My parents seemed to always be flooding some tap water into the compost container. It would sit in the sink and ripen over night. Everything, especially the orange rinds, would get especially funky in the summer. Cool Water is the after rinse, but a few days later. Cheap, rotten, and stale.

I just dont get it! So many wonderful fragrances out there. That this one is even remotely popular just confuses me. Maybe it is genetic, similar to some people disliking Brussel sprouts and broccoli.

15 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2010)

Cid's avatar

Starts off wonderful, then drys down into what smells like a mix of algae infested sea water, dried piss and cigarette smoke. Many say that Green Irish Tweed by the House of Creed is the same thing. They are not. I'd say they start exactly the same, but GIT doesn't dry down into this obnoxious smell that gives me headaches. With Cool Water, the dry down happens incredibly fast, and within ten minutes, the great smell that it started off with is gone and I'm left with that cigarette/piss mixture. Most people like this smell, but it wasn't anything like I thought it'd be after all the rave reviews. I think it's too potent to be "cool" water. If your parents smoked when you were younger, you'll absolutely hate cool water.

27 August, 2009

yeager4772's avatar

A poor imitation of Creed's Green Irish Tweed.
    They are similar in the opening but when G.I.T. grow up and evolve in a beautiful grassy sandalwood and floral world, Cool Water became sintethic and start to drydown.
    It give me nausea. Just for teenagers.

17 August, 2009

robert2's avatar

Germany Germany

It smells like soap, high quality soap of course ;-) Nothing special here.

15 August, 2009

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

I used to like it but find it too synthetic now.

15 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th October, 2012)

smith's avatar

Poland Poland

Why do I despise all these "blue" scents? The only thing you can for Cool Water was that it started the trend and the others piggybacked on it. There's just something sickly sweet and powdery about them that gags me.

16 February, 2009

shimmerling's avatar

chemically speaking, this is NOTHING like green irish tweed... there is not a single ingredient that is used in this cologne that is in green irish tweed, so why must people insist they are somewhat identical... now the scent that green irish tweed has to offer is staged. you can definately know the difference between the heart notes and the base notes... with cool water, its just one mess it smells the same throughout and it seriously could not smell any les like green irish tweed... not impressed with this fragrance at all.

12 January, 2009

jon47's avatar

Cool water has a very appealing smell to me. On paper. On me, it smells kind of like piss or pasta apparently according to those around me. To me, its strong and it doesn't smell great. Its distinctive and too many people wear it. So you are likely to end up smelling just like that other guy.

24 December, 2008

rosa_canina's avatar

Air freshener....Not sexy at all.

05 December, 2008

Grottola's avatar

Cool Water, you've been abused, misused, reformulated, and to me you smell like ketchup.

Good thing I have a bottle of Green Irish Tweed, the gentleman whose work you plagiarized and made your money off of!

12 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2011)

mi-cuit's avatar

Unequivocally cheap smelling and very synthetic. It (unfortunately) lasts forever on my skin, which is a whole new reason to complain about its lasting power.

07 September, 2008