Neutral Reviews of Cool Water by Davidoff

Find out more about Cool Water by Davidoff in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

Does anybody really need another review of Cool Water? Beats me, but here are my two (s)cents:

Yes, it smells a lot like Green Irish Tweed, especially for the first half hour or so. And yes, it smells a little bit more obviously chemical. It's a relatively linear scent on me, and the drydown does not arrive at the familiar Creed “millésime” base.

It's pleasant enough, if somewhat cheap smelling, but what works against it most is that it's over-used and too often imitated. In all fairness I should forgive Cool Water for spawning so many inane progeny, but I'm not sure that I'm a big enough person.

11th June, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Its clearly that Cool Water has suffered from the latest ban on oakmoss. Why Turin still gives it 5 stars is a mystery to me. This scent smells too harsh now, not only in its top, where thats not a big problem, but also in its mid and base now. Gone is the sparkle of the radiating thick softness of oakmoss that was needed to put the overdosis of dihydromyrcenol into balance. The bone-structure is still there, but it lacks the beautifull soft fabric of a perfect fitted dress that covered up the raw edges of the body. Gone is the shine of elegance, the beauty. I guess this shows how important the raw aromatics of natural origin still are in the modern formula's of perfumes. I cant give it thumbs down because the original Cool Water was so freaking (refreshing) original. Some memories are hard to ban...(yes, im from the 80's area..!)

24 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2014)

emberfly's avatar

The opening is very strong and harsh. Overpowering and unpleasant. Like metal and SALT, and very synthetic.

About an hour later it smells fantastic. Like

Pros: great price, lovely dry-down

cons: harsh opening that lasts ~an hour. Lasts FOR-EV-ER. So long, in fact, that I think it is negative.

13 April, 2014

Gary F's avatar

Fresh & Green

Great scent! I did the side by side comparison with GIT. Loved both - GIT was more green and Cool Water was more aquatic, but they are similar. Close enough that I wouldn't buy both. If I decide to purchase one of the two, it would probably be Cool Water.

Pros: Green Without Being Overbearing
    Cons: A Bit Harsh in the Opening

28 June, 2013

Robzrx7's avatar

I wore this in high school back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I loved it back then and it was very popular with my classmates. As a sophmore I had an idiotic teacher who forbade us from wearing Cool Water in her classroom because according to her it smelled like marijuana. I wore it anyway and she would make me sit outside. Long story short the administration sided with her and I had to cease wearing this fragrance for the semester. If I had known my rights and social networking had existed to the level it does now I would have owned that school today. Anyway I remember Cool Water being a projection and longevity monster back then. It would last through the school day and beyond. A refreshing mint but at the same time smoky musky scent. I didn't wear Cool Water for years and back in 2010 purchased a bottle from Macy's. It was still the same scent I remembered and loved from back in the day but no longer the projection and longevity monster. In fact after 15 minutes I could not even smell it with my nose pressed to my skin. Alas I had to return the bottle. Davidoff I guess is cutting corners to bring the price down even further for the masses. I prefer to pay more for higher quality fragrance. Maybe Ill try Cool Water again in the near future to see if it has improved. Until then I can only give a neutral rating.

07 December, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

This aquatic fresh and clean smelling fragrance(did I mention generic?) was pretty good years ago. Even though the initial spray smells like Green Irish Tweed (yeah I know, everyone says that) I would buy Green Irish Tweed any day over this one. Notice I said initial spray. After that, Cool Water goes to the shelter, Green Irish Tweed goes to the Marriott. I'm sure Pierre Bourdon knew what he was doing when he came out with Cool Water.

I'm sure he smelled Green Irish Tweed at some point before coming out with this one. Not a bad cologne, but not original and overrated.

11th November, 2012

wormstir's avatar

really not sure why everyone loves this stuff so much

I have the older version with the script front (which is supposed to be better???)

On me it smells of sharp cheap artificial lemon car freshener and not much else, (citronella) and then I get a strange clashing coriander note that smells awful on me, luckily the whole thing only lasts about an hour before disappearing, there's nothing that particularly attracts me to this scent, except that women like it, hence the neutral rating.

If you really scrunch up your eyes and wish, you can get a squeak of similarity between a few middle notes shared with GIT, but it doesn't really stack up as a GIT replacement if that's what you're after, not really in the same league in any way.

17 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2013)

jcw122's avatar

Smells good, but I don't see the correlation with GIT that people talk about. I like how it smells, but the notes really don't seem to blend, at least during the opening. I'd call it an average scent.

28 September, 2012

Smelly Dude's avatar

Possibly the most overrated male cologne of all time. It's not bad, but there's no compelling reason as to its popularity.

It opens up with an aquatic feel, with a hint of salt, pepper and lemon. It then settles down into what can only be described as lemon washing powder. Sillage is OK for about 2 hours, then it really dies down. Longevity is not Cool Water's strong point.

It's best described as an inoffensive Spring-Summer scent. It's not a bad scent, but it's really not that great. If someone bought me Cool Water as a gift I'd wear it, but I wouldn't spend my own money on it.

03 September, 2012

tropicalstorm's avatar

Shouts "CHEMICAL" from head to toe; however, I don't mind wearing it on a hot summer day.

31st August, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

This is a watered down version of the fragrance I remembered in college years ago. It isn't my style, but it smells clean and fresh. I know the feud with GIT, and to be honest, except for perfume connoisseurs, I have not met one person who could tell the difference between Cool Water and Git...$200 difference in price? Cool Water's Longevity is fair, 2 spritzs can last about 4 hours. but for $200 less, buy 2 bottles and an atomizer and reapply it during the day!

08 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2013)

rbaker's avatar

Not much more to say. A fresh lavender, mint and citrus opening that quite soon dries down into the green notes of jasmin and oak moss with a touch of wood. The newer samples seem to have lost some of the oak moss character and appear fresher overall. It does not show much development. Yes, a synthetic, cheaper and less complex remake of the classic Creed GIT, but, in all fairness, the lesser quality is reflected in the pricing. On me it is gone after a couple of hours.

01st July, 2012

blackers_92's avatar

Like most people this was my first cologne, I got it when I was about 14-15 and knew nothing about it, girls loved it, I loved it. Years later it smells incredibly synthetic. One day I walked into my friends little brothers room (he was about 14) and saw he had a bottle. The legacy lives on! Most people will love it, I still don't mind it. Kind of reminds me of a cheap deodorant though.

13 April, 2012

Shpati's avatar

Cool Water could be the most popular fragrance ever. I have no reason to tell you how it smells like, because there are so many other reviews.

All I am going to say is, buy the smaller bottles. With anything large, you are taking a chance for reduced longevity. Many other people said that the larger bottles do not have as much longevity. The smaller bottles seem more concentrated; therefore, I would stick with them.

Furthermore, I feel as though there is a slight difference in smell with every bottle of Cool Water. Davidoff needs to confront this issue. Many other said the same thing. I can use a test spray at Dillards, then use a test spary a Macy's, and I notice both smell different.

Try to get your hands the older versions of Cool Water if you can.

Very nice bottle design.

24 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 May, 2012)

Vitamin B Complex's avatar

I'm giving this a neutral because I rate this as an average fragrance. I won't bother describing it as there are over a hundred reviews but the only time I will wear this is after a shower after going to the gym because it smells clean.

That's it. Very average and very boring.

01st September, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Well, reviewing this one is not going to be easy as basically everything has been said about a quite influential release such as Cool Water. My point with this seminal composition is that while I quite enjoy the original version (I mean Green irish Tweed) but never been able to dispassionately love it, I'm not a big fan of its "cheaper" version (Cool Water). Surely influential and vastely appreciated but overused and as much imitated that I almost started to "hate" it. Not your fault Cool Water.

I've to move away from you for a while

09 June, 2011

man114's avatar

I don't mind Cool Water for the most part except it has an annoying off putting metallic note on the drydown. I don't know what sparks it or if it is a combination of the notes, but even some of the knockoffs don't have it (and for that matter similar fragrances from other companies don't either). If it weren't for that I'd give it a thumbs up. Otherwise if I must I'll wear a knockoff or something similar that doesn't exhibit the same properties.

24 March, 2011

MOONB's avatar

There are some fragrances which I don't consider to be wetshaver scents, but still use in tandem with witch hazel and aftershave - Cool Water is one of them. It pairs particularly nicely with lavender witch hazel, as the tonic brings Cool Water's synthetic and sweet lavender out of its otherwise blah mixture of herbs, woods, and musk. There really isn't anything exactly like Cool Water, so newbies beware: don't think you have it prefigured. It's a try-before-you-buy, and while generally safe and functional, can be off-putting to people who are unfamiliar with '80s "fresh" fougères. The distinctive scent profile is (reluctantly) original, and Pierre Bourdon did a magnificent job creating a fragrance with near-universal appeal, and near-zero sex appeal. To this day, after years of sporadically wearing Cool Water, I still have no idea how he did it. The scent is as boring as it gets. Furthermore, the current formula has more than a few splashes of cheapskatery - its heart notes, once fizzy and vibrant, are now dull and smell somewhat like cardboard. I know my review is contradictory, but trust me on this - you'll be intrigued by the scent's singularity without being the least bit interested in it.

10th March, 2011

Darvant's avatar

This is a dry, somewhat linear fougere that starts as a typical floral aquatic with an initial blast of synthetic marine (citric and herbal) notes and finally becomes a clean, astringent juice with a woodsy soul and an oceanic outward appearance. I appreciate the pungent, herbal accord of rosemary-peppermind-coriander. Cedar, geranium, woods, aromatic lavender, herbs and dry spices make the scent stiff, angular, herbal and clean. Jasmine and orange blossom provide floral sophistication (and hints of floral radiancy) while herbal elements turn it out a bit too acrid. In my opinion this is far less refreshing (and sparkling) than many other aquatics or fougere even in its top part (being for real astringent, slightly irony and almost restrained). Sandalwood and cedarwood infuse a certain woody stable structure (substance) and stableness to the juice in the way it's heavier than you could expect it to be by marketing campaigns. This is a respectable fragrance whereof is undeniable and appreciable the worldwide fame. I find this scent a bit boring even if it conjures at me left back incandescent summers of the youth in my Calabria.

22 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2014)

Birgh's avatar

Norway Norway

I suspect that one of the reasons why Cool Water is such a huge success in terms of sales might be that most people out shopping for perfume, going through a lot of samples, will find this one very pleasing at the first sniff on a card. Not many of the multi-layered, "heavier" fragrances smells this inviting the first seconds; lavender and peppermint without the "booze".

My problem with Cool Water is the fact that it is one of many one-dimensional smells, this one staying more or less flowery, with a touch of peppermint and wood in there, all the way. I don't think it's a bad or "thirteen-on-the-dozen" smell, just a bit boring and really not my taste. What surprises me, though, is its longevity which I think is above normal for this kind of fragrance.

I can see that women, especially the romantic type, will love this fragrance on a man. Right now when the first snow has fallen I'd rather give them Burberry London.

31st October, 2010

Ryanbassist26's avatar

I first got this cologne based on the fact that its super popular and I mainly just wanted to see what the hype was about... And well,after trying this out I have to say I can see why its popular but it didnt really wow me,lol. The smell on this is decent and has an earthy type smell that is decent and pretty good smelling, but nothing that really made me fall in love with this. Its just slightly above average at best..

Ratings:

Overall scent: 7
    Longevity:6 (only get 4-6 hrs. on my skin)
    Projection:7
    Overall rating: 7
    Age range: 18-50
    Best times to wear this: Can be worn casually to work/school, but best worn in warm or hot weather

26 September, 2010

different-scents's avatar

When I was young in the early 90's, every "cool" guy was wearing this stuff. And by "cool" guy, I mean every guy who thought he was cool. This fact made me hate it. Not only was it cheaper than most other scents, it was so very common that I hated it!!

I look at the pyramid notes and some of it looks like I'd enjoy it. I can't remember if I ever actually sprayed this on myself, but I was at the mall a few months ago and tested Cool Water on a test strip. It was just as I remembered. This scent is so vague, I'm not sure what it's trying to say.

To me, Cool Water by Davidoff is for guys who don't know how to dress themselves. This stuff is for guys who simply don't know any better. If you're over 30, don't waste your time with this stuff. It's a bit of an immature scent, that's the only way I can describe it.

I just ordered a tester of GIT, and if it smells anything like Cool Water I will be saddened!

15 September, 2010

fernwood's avatar

I'm with off-scenter on this one. why am I offering yet another review of Cool Water? What can I say that hasn't been said 200 times before? I don't know. This is not a bad scent. It's actually well constructed. Yes it's fresh aquatic green broke new ground in fragrance for the masses etc. Yes it's similar to GIT in the opening. Yes it's more synthetic than GIT. Yes it costs less than GIT. Yes everybody and their brother and apparently some of their sisters wore this and continue to wear this. Yes yes yes yes. I just prefer the real deal in this genre - GIT

03 September, 2010

GHVA226's avatar

I really like the fresh notes on this fragrance and enjoy the first 15 minutes or so...it does however subside after 30 minutes. I tried GIT, which accordingly to many here is quite similar, and I have the same problem - neither of them last on me at all.

It is a shame, since I like the smell (of both). I even bought a second bottle of Cool Water, because I doubted the origin of the first one and the longevity did not improve at all.

I am aware some fortunate people get excellent longevity with Cool Water and GIT...I was wondering if others have the same problem as I.

G-

30th July, 2010

Hartman Design's avatar

Not sure what all the fuss is about with this fragrance. Certainly mis-categorized as an aquatic, I find the opening melange of accords somewhat dirty and off-putting. After a few minutes it settles into an agreeable scent, but never scales the heights its reputation affords it.

15 March, 2010

micci's avatar

Kenya Kenya

The undisputed pioneer of the fresh and kinda flowery pour hommes? Maybe.
    But make no mistake this is not your everyday aqua-marine though (the frag is slightly more complex) it's one of those safe frags you cannot go wrong with...you will smell good but loose out being authentic...but smell good...Your choice!

27 January, 2010

Kaern's avatar

A normal fougere -- fruity, fresh woody amber catering to the lowest common denominator and aspires to nothing else. That's fair enough and the price reflects this -- it's perfectly put together and has made Pierre Bourdon ultra rich. It has also ruined the creativity and originality of 90% of subsequent maculines and I wish it hadn't been made. I personally don't like it or the legions of imitations that followed it, but as it was the first I can't really thumbs down.

25 November, 2009

bokaba's avatar

This (along with the 1985 launch of Green Irish Tweed) sounded the bell for the release of hundreds of fresh, green, oceanic scents over the next two decades. Cool Water opens with synthetic citrus and orange blossom and dries down to a salty, oceanic note with musk and amber. Creed is deeper, but I am not personally a fan of this genre.

21st November, 2009

hcr's avatar

This was the frag I would alway leave in my car, considered it cheap but still smells great. Probably like it less the more frags I try, but worth buying since its such a classic....

30th July, 2009

Cygnus's avatar

It's not bad by any means, in fact I kinda like how it smells. A little on the synthetic smelling side and quite "aquatic" smelling. Not a bad choice but it doesn't blow me away either. I'd go for something a little more...engaging, so to speak. A decent cologne.

16 July, 2009