Positive Reviews of Cool Water by Davidoff

Find out more about Cool Water by Davidoff in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

NazguL2's avatar

This has to be thumb up because is a really good summer scent that has the honor to be the father and inspirations of so much masterpieces. And is really worthy cause is very cheap.
    In my skin the sillage or the projection could be better but... Is a fresh cheap scent, I can't ask for more.

10th August, 2014

Viper1's avatar

A few considerations about all fragrances:

Our sense of smell peaks before we are 10 and can begin to deteriorate before we hit our 20's and even before 16. It is also dependent on our state of health.

My point: the belief that one can depend on olfactory memory is dicey business. It may very well be that if we do not think a scent smells the same way as it did 30 years ago, it may because we have lost the power to discriminate scents as we once did.

Second, I just don't get the unfavorable comparisons to Green irish Tweed. That juice costs about $200. Would you expect an off-the-rack suit--even a Roger Laurin suit--that costs $300 to fit and look as equisite as a $1,500 bespoke suit from Alton Lane?

Insofar as the criticism that the first hit of Cool water "lasts forever", that, too, is open to debate. Numerous individuals have noted 15 minutes; I myself, 30 minutes before it loses the initial bite.

The bottom line is this scent gives you a great bang for the buck when it even merits a comparison with a fragrence from the house of Creed and the like or dislike of a fragrence is such an idiosyncratic thing, why should one question why one person gives a thumbs up and another a thumbs down. Both have their reasons and each is valid--for that person.

I'm going with the "thumbs up" crowd until someone can empirically demonstrate that this is an inferior scent not worth the money and not deserving of its iconic status.

05 July, 2014

Unvisible's avatar

I'm going to have to agree with gimpy on this... having owned both cool water and GIT, and my pick any day is also cool water. It smells more cohesive and decided, whereas green irish tweed smells like an off-beat "green note" flanker to cool water. I also cannot find an occasion that cool water doesn't work. 5 stars!

16 May, 2014

Archer51's avatar

Okay here we go. This is a great classic scent that gets trashed all the time for being over-worn, generic, powdery or whatever. Not a lot of people wear it anymore it seems at least not as much as they used to but it is a classic and great for any starter collection like myself. Women dig it too but it doesn't float everyone's boat! Years ago, I was at a summer camp and before the dance night a counselor let me wear it and I really liked the fresh scent and it brings memories back of that night. I do not wear this all the time but great to throw on in the mix for casual use.

15 March, 2014

gimpy's avatar

The GOAT fragrance as far as I'm concerned. I went twenty years between wearing Cool Water (going through 2 4oz bottles of GIT in between). I've owned and tested almost all niche brands, yet if I ran out of my house because it was on fire I'd probably grab this (after briefly thinking about grabbing Rive Gauche).

Don't let the Creed/GIT fanboys fools you (and I say this as someone who considers Creed his favorite house), Cool Water is the better scent. GIT is too heady, too floral, too sweet. Cool Water is decidedly more attractive and masculine. If GIT is the smart, refined exchange student, Cool Water is the popular jock athlete giving him a wedgie in the locker room. Even at the same price I'd take Cool Water all day. What are GIT pumpers gonna say "I paid 5x as much for GIT and even though people think I'm wearing Cool Water, I'll admit Cool Water's a good scent?"

You know that feeling when you discover a new scent that you love only to lose it a year later? Well every time I smell this I still feel as if I've been born anew.

Forget you biases, forget what you've read (especially here), and smell it for youself. There's a reason Luca Turin gave it five stars.

22 February, 2014

laurent's avatar

Like a good pair of 501's - Cool Water is Classic

LIKE A GOOD PAIR OF 501's

Cool Water is Classic

Super green and mint fresh - this is full morning power that do last well.

It will leave a good "mossy" feel at the end of the day.

Non complicate - easy to wear this is a very positive scent to wear - full of masculine energy.

No extras frills but a good recommended Classic freshness !!!!

Pros: fresh simplicity
    Cons: none"

25 August, 2013

dallasfan's avatar

Opens up smelling kind of like fresh cut grass, but after 30-60 minutes it smells better, and it's strong enough for others to smell, and lasts on me.

Its good i've smelled it too many times to give it a 4 so i'll give it a 3.5, if you haven't smelled it before you'll probably like it, i sometimes get sick of it, but for the most part it's a solid scent.

Pros: Lasts long on my skin, and smells good on my skin, after about 30-60 minutes it smells even better and it's strong enough, you'll get compliments.
    Cons: It smells kind of like fresh cut grass at first, not bad smelling, but it's my least favorite part about it, but it only get better from there."

16 August, 2013

kris99's avatar

refreshing, sexy, casual, classic

my mom loves the smell of cool water, so i blind bought a .5oz bottle at wallmart for 13$. This fragrance is a personal favorite,its a classic. its a blus smell, with a touch of musc to give it that great edge, its a scent for the summer and spring. i got this in june, havent tried it fall or winter, im pretty sure it will do fine in fall as well. highly recomend it, you cant go wrong with this one.

Pros: classic
    Cons:

12 August, 2013

BladeUK's avatar

A classic

Davidoff Coolwater is a classic and I wore it when I was 18 and I'm now 35. Women loved it when I wore it back then and I sometimes go back to it every now and then and I will still get compliments.

I think so many people have copied it now though e.g. Channel Bleu has a similar smell but with a deeper talcum powder hint in my opinion.

I don't believe Green Irish Tweed is the same - GIT is almost like a grass version of the same scent whilst Coolwater is an ocean version.

Coolwater was the first pricey proper aftershave/cologne that I bought as a teenager and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Pros: Fresh aquatic muskiness
    Cons: Too many people know what it is now!

22 June, 2013

silentrich's avatar

I've been wearing Cool Water since it came out, but I haven't owned a bottle for at least 15 years. I did buy and go through a bottle of the Frozen flanker which is also a nice variation. This is just classic stuff and although everyone is familiar with the smell, many people still find this to be one of the most pleasing to them. This is probably because of all the memories this brings back for the 30+ crowd. There are many other fragrances that smell like this and it's father Green Irish Tweed. The difference is that these two do it the best. GIT is the masterpiece. Cool Water is the re print.

16 March, 2013

1billy1's avatar

Scotland Scotland

This fragrance is fresh, clean and masculine, so if you're looking for a good signature scent this is perfect. The first 30 minutes of wearing it is quite strong and smells quite harsh and even cheap, but bear with it! After that initial 30 minutes or so, it develops into a refreshing, lavender scent. This stays throughout the entire time wearing it.

The fragrance generally lasts about 5-6 hours on my skin, and you will definitely get wafts of it when you're out and about. Cool Water is probably best for the hotter months, but its extremely versatile so you can wear it whenever. If you're looking for something spicy, musky, and romantic, this probably isn't the badger for you, I reckon its more of a daytime scent.

Overall, I think this is a brilliant fragrance and I don't see how anybody would dislike it on you, definitely not offensive to the nostrils! Every bloke should have this in his cupboard...

11th March, 2013 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2013)

AHS's avatar

Love this stuff, my sig scent.

I can understand that some people might think this stuff smells like laundry detergent etc.

But i love the clean, fresh scent i get from this, such a pleasant smell i wouldnt mind having under my nose all day!

Thumbs up from me!

19 February, 2013

TheSongOfRoland's avatar

I'm pretty new to the frag game, but this was one of the scents that really got me started. Great summer scent, inoffensive, and decent longevity. Price is just about right. It starts out pretty soapy, but dries down to a light aquatic musk that I cant get enough of. A must have for anybody. You've definitely smelled this on somebody before, but not nearly as common in my age group as Axe or Hollister body sprays. Great starter fragrance.

02 January, 2013

groomdedz's avatar

Here in my country where designer perfumes/colognes are so damn expensive, this scent is a compliment getter. I know in other countries, this is very common and most people wear it but no, not here. It's a great fresh scent, it reminds me of being a teenager going to LAN parties. Oh, if you smoke, the scent will blend with cool water and it will make it smell like marijuana, no kidding.

This is recommend for all ages but preferably 15 - 25 yrs old.

29 December, 2012

Bigtruck260's avatar

I wore this in High school...and my female teachers loved it in 1990.
    For me, wearing CW is like eating Golden Grahams cereal.
    It's young for me these days, but I still enjoy it occasionally. Not something
    I'd do every day, but it's comforting to know it's still there if I want it.

24 November, 2012

's avatar

It has became a reference for any fresh cologne. It used to be unique, but has already been ripped off by many other designers. It's a nice option for summer with a nice price too that's worth it for sure! I smell a great combination of mint and lavender mostly.

17 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2013)

keagz08's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Amazing scent! Fresh and clean, great for a warm Sunny day although I find it great when I'm just at home having a night in and want to smell amazing. I love this stuff! I get about 6-7 hours longevity and it projects nicely (not strongly) for about 4 of those hours, maybe the vintage CW is better in the longevity department. It doesn't matter though, if you're reading this you should own this

10th November, 2012

Zealot Crusader's avatar

The grandfather of all aquatics that ushered in sport and "cool" fragrances that tried to compete with it right up until the mid 1990's. I find it perfect for a scorching and humid summer day, but it's complete lack of warmth makes it imperceptible in anything but hot weather (it is called "Cool Water" for a reason). It's timeless design means that teens and young adults will be wearing this for decades, and unless chypres or spicy musks come back into fashion, this one will continue to remain at or near the top of the men's fragrance pyramid.

05 November, 2012

Marathon Alchemist's avatar

Let me start by saying that I love Cool Water. I grew up around it. Everyone in my neighborhood wore it but that didn't phase me. It still smelled great but I never bought a bottle of my own because I didn't have to; I'd catch a whiff almost everyday. It smells crisp, clean and fresh. Finally, I bought a bottle of my own last year and sold it off today. I tried wearing it casually but it wasn't casual enough. I tried it wearing it on a couple of nights but fell short. I tried and tried but then I realized that Cool Water wasn't for me and it broke my heart because I love it so much. Either I don't have the personality for it or I outgrew it. In any case, it's pointless to have it in my collection as I kept forcing myself to reach for it.

By the way, Green Irish Tweed doesn't smell like Cool Water to my nose. They're both wonderful fragrances that rightly deserve their adulation.

Heres to another chance encounter, Cool Water.

*edit* I just purchased a bottle of vintage Cool Water and I'm happy to announce that the love affair has begun anew.

06 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 May, 2013)

Teach13's avatar

I really wanted to dislike Cool Water just because of its popularity. However, it's a very nice cologne for the summer. Like a mint in your mouth, it literally seems to cool and freshen the skin just by applying it. The scent is fresh and nice. I don't find anything spectacular about it, and I will probably never own it, but I enjoy the sample I have nonetheless.

13 August, 2012

CardaGiorgio's avatar

Spain Spain

This is one of my favourite fresh fragrances. Despite of the fever of "sport" fragrances that we live nowadays, some classics like Cool Water still remains in the top. In this rank of prices I think almost nobody offers a fragrance with the originality of this.

28 July, 2012

mvhooper2's avatar

Great fresh scent, might be my favorite and the first one i ever tried. It's better than most aquatics as it has the perfect balance between being fresh and also having "depth". The price point is also GREAT.

10th April, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2012)

Slayerized's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Plz mind that there are three versions (two reformulations) of Cool Water but my review is about last two versions.

What they are selling now with "Davidoff" written in block font as of 2009 is not as good by a long shot compared to any bottle with Davidoff written in "signature" font on bottle as well on package which was on its own also reformulated once!

I am not going into notes etc. as these are already explained in almost all previous reviews but I can say as owning both versions that the older version (pre-2008) does have a way way fresher and sparkling (minty) opening compared to the newer version.
    Despite it is a synthetic fragrance, the older version smells way more natural than current versions! The drydown of the current is more sweet and ambery compared to old. Longevity and sillage are also better on the old version. It's like they toned down or even removed some notes from the opening and heart out of the current version and gave it a more cheap, strong ambery/sweet drydown. Only the opening has a little of the original sparkling Cool Water opening the vintage has.

Older version: 9/10
    Current: 6/10

07 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2012)

SteveSmellsGood's avatar

England England

I'm fairly new to the fragrance game, and don't have much in my collection. However, this is probably the best fragrance I've smelt. It is definitely 'fresh', which is a word used for pretty much all fragrances it seems. But there is no other way of describing this scent.

At first its a little harsh, but after 20 minutes or so it develops into a refreshing lavender scent that stays with you throughout. This is probably best worn in the summer but you can get away with wearing it pretty easily all through the year. A sweet, masculine and aromatic fragrance.

On my skin CW lasts a solid 5-7 hours and the projection is very good for most of this time. I recommend every bloke should own this!!

29 March, 2012

The Israelite's avatar

Ahhh Cool Water you old classic! lol

I remember this fragrance was all the craze when I was about 15
    Nothing much to say about this fragrance other than I think its a quite unique, really fresh and acquatic and it brings back alot of teenage memories.
    This is definitly a spring and summer fragrance however I think it holds its own in the colder weather also.The projection is quite good and the longevity is also quite good.
    This is definitly a fragrance for a younger person and is best suited for just hanging out with friends in the park on a spring or summer afternoon.

My score:
    Projection:8
    Longevity:7
    Fragrance:8

27 January, 2012

Mitac214's avatar

Ahh good ole Cool Water takes me back all the way to high school when I use this fragrance all the time it was my favorite scent for a long time. I recently revisited cool water don't know if I bought a reformulated bottle or just and old gone bad bottle, it didn't smell the same to me as it did hmmmmm, maybe I will just purchase a bottle at a department store. But in all it will remain as one of the best scents out there.

26 January, 2012

Olive94's avatar

Cool Water is an absolute classic. There is a reason why since 1988 it has remained on the boots/superdrug etc top shelf. It's a great summer fragrance, Full of fresh aquatic/green vibes, girls seem to like it too.

16 January, 2012

djvix805's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Definetaly the best for summer! Very fresh smell and projects for hours. Very hard to find someone who doesn't like this scent.

15 January, 2012

BattleShipp's avatar

I love cool water. It isn't great for winter, but everyone loves it, and it smells really unique and attractive in comparison to many others (like Abercrombie/Hollister, and Pour Homme). Has a great price too, decent longevity and projection, it's difficult not to like.

20th December, 2011

noirdrakkar's avatar

A refreshing aquatic scent, with just enough flowers and just enough musk. Despite being commonplace, its low cost and large appeal makes it very difficult to not find a reason to include it in your collection.

8.5/10

02 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2012)