Positive Reviews of Déclaration by Cartier

Well, well, well what do we have here? Terre d'Hermes before Terre d'Hermes and a damn good one, just as much as Terre. Declaration is maybe even more thick than Terre d'Hermes, dare I say. Exquisite for sunny days, be they warm or cold. For the office, formal meetings and occasions, I'd think twice about wearing it for a date, well at least first 3 dates.

Overall - excellent!

Originality 8/10
Scent 8/10
Longevity 9/10
Projection 8/10
10th June, 2015
Just received this peerless masterpiece after quite a wait and I must say, Jean Claude Ellena's craftsmanship is unmatched, the uniqueness and composition of this fragrance is bewildering and phenomenally extraordinary.

9.5/10
17th April, 2015
Salutation.

What a SEDUCTIVE BEAUTIFUL fragrance.i adore this one.CLASSIC and MYSTERIOUS.i think it is an UNISEX fragrance because that really compliments women.you can always in the center of attention with it.

The top/middle notes are amazing.They are what make this cologne so seductive but the base is woody and masculine.Good sillage and long lasting.

GREAT for the special night.More appropriate for autumn/night wear for a confident man lurking fancy night clubs.of course you can always enjoy with CARTIER colognes because they always HIGH QUALITY and CLASSY.

12th December, 2014

It has a base that is similar in Terre D'Hermes but instead there is a cardamom floral note that goes over the funky base. It's nice and classic but I'll stick with TdH.
06th December, 2014
In a few words... A fresh TdH, the scent is the same, with a better opening and better structure.
I don't know why TdH is usually preferred to this one.
25th August, 2014
Genre: Leather

As with so many scents by Jean-Claude Ellena, Déclaration has an ostensibly simple structure: it's fundamentally a dry cedar scent of the crispy, crunchy persuasion, enlivened by extremely bright citrus notes and given depth by a deftly measured dose of cumin and leathery base notes. Examined carefully, the composition reads as a modernist gloss on the cumin, citrus, and leather structure of Edmond Roudnitska’s great Eau d’Hermès, made to feel edgy and contemporary through extreme transparency and the removal of anything remotely sweet. It shares with the classic Hermès a paradoxical sense of dirty/clean, animalic/citrus that seduces some noses and repels others.

Déclaration rises above the general run of woods-and-citrus designer imitators that followed it by way of its fearlessly stark angularity, its seamless blending, and its superior ingredients. The bergamot top note is nicely done, and the transition to the dry, woody heart is very smooth. The citrus notes smell natural despite their brightness, and the woods are deeper and more rounded than most.

Like many other Ellena scents I've tried, Déclaration is also relatively linear, running in its cedar-cumin-citrus groove for a couple of hours before anything else happens. Eventually the citrus notes fade and a smoky leather and crisp, but not-too-loud woody amber join the lingering cedar for the drydown, which is also seasoned by a just-perceptible hint of moss.

With its clarity, its balance, and its clever allusions to classical structures, Déclaration marks a climax in Jean-Claude Ellena’s “minimalist” fragrance explorations. His related woody citrus “Jardin” scents for Hermès do nothing to improve upon Déclaration. In fact they seem to me clumsily out of balance and repetitious in its wake. Some of Ellena’s more recent minimalist compositions may be stripped down the point of being bare, but Déclaration strikes the perfect mean between clarity and substance. A landmark in the art of perfumery.
12th June, 2014
A really good and distinctive contemporary "eau de cologne" with a much interesting and complex structure. Dozens of notes here, but basically it is a fresh-musky-woody fragrance with several facets to discover according to what you focus on - you may want to feel the rich, sensual floral touch, the woods, the ginger, the citrus, the dried fruits-spicy accord (which, in turn, unfolds up like a fractal in cardamom notes, caraway, pepper, tea, neroli...). Or still - and probably, better - you may just want to feel the overall look of this - a safe, elegant, long-lasting milestone of modern eaux de cologne. An admirable essay of perfumery.

P.S. my personal feelings? Like for other Ellena's... so perfect it's boring.

7,5/10
18th April, 2014 (last edited: 19th April, 2014)
Declaration is about as animalic of a fragrance as I will ever wear. Even if you hate animalic scents like me, you may love this one. Hang in there for the first hour, you get a spicy cardamom, pepper and citrus domination. It settles into an exquisite floral, woodsy, tea & vetiver dry down. One of the best dry downs I have ever smelled. I highly recommend trying this one.
13th March, 2014
Another masterpiece from master perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena. This scent predates his other successes like Terre d' Hermes, but Declaration makes the statement that Jean-Claude Ellena really was one superb perfumer since he began.
A fruity opening with an explosion of cardamom and other spices is what I will describe this scent. It's a bit like walking through the kitchen of a master-chef. One to excite the senses and turn heads everywhere, this scent truly is one of a kind. I can't fault it!
09th January, 2014
Stunning, addictive, captivating

This is the perfect autumnal fragrance. It's exotic but comforting, spicy but restrained, sophisticated and warm. This is Terre d'Hermes on vacation, in cold weather, smoking a pipe.

Some reviewers compare this to body odor; though I find that preposterous, I wouldn't mind living in a world where armpits smell like Déclaration. I suspect these critics also have delicate tummies and fear foreign food.

Pros: Like nothing else
Cons:

03rd October, 2013
Smokey Joe

A scent with a big bang!
This one is very deep Its like the smell of sufficating smoke when applied, like walking in a smoke cloud of a burning fragrance factory.
True platform for the more known Terre d'hermes

If you put your nose on skin its will be too much.

But the sillage of this scent is out of this world.

Cartier Declaration can slam your head in the morning giving you a headache going to work if you feel weak because your beginning to feel ill.

It definitely will be stronger then you.

The drydown is remarkable good and more polite. (apart from the first hour(s))

Love it!

Pros: Powerfull and elegant
Cons:

12th September, 2013
I love this. Opens with a blast of bracing bitter orange then yields to a warm and delicious cardamom and a fresh woody base. I really don't get BO at all with Déclaration - it does very much speak of human passion, though. A great fragrance to wear when in love.
15th January, 2013
Declaration is a great fragrance, spicy and refreshing, the cardamom plays the main role here.. Smells elegant, it's suitable for every occasion. It's my office scent: subtle and elegant, not offensive also. Be careful: sometimes smells like body odour, which aint a problem. Sillage, lasting power and projection are medium-high. Definetely thumbs up!
02nd January, 2013 (last edited: 02nd March, 2013)

I think this is one of the most beautiful fragrances ever. I love this scent and its peculiarity that is unique among millions. If every man was using this perfume, the woman he loves will surely fall in love with him...
11th December, 2012
Recommended to me as nothing short of a pheromone on a flight back to London in 1999 by the steward, Cartier Declaration has become the fragrance I use most often. I was assured that women adore this scent, but I genuinely liked what I smelt on the test card anyway and bought a 100ml bottle. At Mile End tube station a few days later the ticket lady serving me behind the glass got a whiff, she absolutely loved it and asked me to write the name down so she could try it herself. Damn, I thought, I see why BA really is the world's favourite airline.

The 1990s saw the launch of many men's scents in the category that has become known as 'woodsy orientals', and I believe Cartier nailed it when they launched this modern masterpiece.

Declaration starts off fresh, with sparkling citrus top notes of bergamot and bitter orange, with the latter also found in Moschino Friends, another favourite of mine. Every part of the composition is tinged with dryness however, which reinforces the refined masculinity that pervades this scent. The cardamom in the mid notes makes Declaration quite unique and adds a wonderful spice that stands out in a sea of woods. After some time, when all freshness has gone and the heart has faded, Declaration evolves again into a a classical earthy drydown, with vetiver prominent in this phase. Silage is excellent on my skin, and longevity substantial - several sprays will last on my skin in warm weather for over 12 hours.

A classic and in my opinion the best men's fragrance Cartier have ever produced.
20th November, 2012
To me this smells almost exactly like Td'H, with a little more woodsy notes. I really like it, but I already own Td'H so I don't need another just like it. But I will pick this up when I run out.
13th November, 2012
To my nose this burst of lemon, followed by a musty support of same, reminds me very much of a combination of Borsari's fresh lemon verbena centered masterpiece, ACQUA CLASSICA and Rochas' bitter, sexy citrus in their master work, MOUSTACHE.

I own both these classics and see no need to add the Cartier DECLARATION to compete with them, but this is on its own and for its own sake, a very elegant, decent take on the citrus note.

Worth at least sampling.

New edit: Based on a new sample, the support of cumin changes the whole chemistry and makes it incredibly sexy, whereas before it was simply sexy. The balance between the cumin and the citrus (both fresh and souring) takes this scent to new levels of sophistication and sensuality. Still very much a thumbs up, even more so than my first experience.
31st October, 2012 (last edited: 17th February, 2014)
A fresh spicy fragrance with bitter oranges and pepper with a good dose of cumin is what I'm picking up off the top. This is a complex fragrance and there is a lot of notes in the mix.

I have to say this is a very good fragrance that keeps on giving as I'm now picking up a fresh neroli scent. It takes you on a journey from its spicy citrus opening to a fresh neroli heart and lots more. Good stuff I'm impressed!

26th October, 2012
Declaration is proof that fragrance homes can produce quality perfumes. Voyage d'Hermes smells identical to this. However there are a couple of problems I have with the EDT version of Voyage.. Longevity is #1 & then it does not project much. Declaration on the other hand has very good projection & longevity.

It can be worn spring, summer, & fall in my opinion. That is where this fragrance really shines. Ginger, spices & citruses make a nice masculine quality scent. I would without a shadow of a doubt take this over Voyage d'Hermes.. Not saying that it is a bad scent, but compared to this it is not worthy. Cartier makes some of the best colognes in the world. If you have not tried this than stop messing around & get to it! ENJOY!
11th August, 2012
this is really intented for the ESSENCE formulation, smoky and gothic reminds me a modern age Jules by Dior
05th July, 2012
Marais Show all reviews
Evidently this is a love-it or hate-it kind of scent, I'm in the former camp. It never crossed my mind that the cumin might smell like B.O. until I read it here and although I'm not convinced, perhaps I will avoid it on hot days! I do think this smells better at a distance, having smelled it on others, so I would urge doubters to give it a go and don't base your judgement on burying your nose in your forearm.
Anyway, it's a lovely spicy, woody, dry, bitter citrus and one of Ellena's best creations. A galaxy away from the juvenile syrupy scents which are popular at present, I see this as fitting a worldly gentleman of distinction. If the spice is too much then try Bigarade Concentree or flankers like Declaration Bois Bleu and Declaration Cologne (all suffer from poorer longevity however).
03rd May, 2012 (last edited: 04th May, 2012)
I bought this on a blind buy and thought I had made a big mistake. The cumin top note scared me initially but after a few wears I now adore the scent. Pure sexiness. I smell a similar scent at the gym regularly and now associate the scent with men working out. If you like the scent of men and sweat with a dose of elegance you will love this. It is one of my favorites now. An acquired taste but pure heaven once you acquire it.
28th July, 2011
Declaration and Terre d'Hermes = two modern masterpieces .Who made them? the master Jean Claude Ellena .Be sure that in a few decades these two fragrances will gain the prestige that time gives (as it happened to Fahrenheit, Kouros, Poison....)
Declaration is not the typical fresh citrus fragrance .It has a spicy touch that gives it a warm feel , while still feeling fresh and watery .
This is an elegant fragrance , sexy at the same time , suitable for both formal and informal ocassions .
It has good longevity but it lacks is projection, nobody around you will notice that you are wearing it. What a pity!!! I don't know why many good scents have a poor longevity while many horrible fragrances are overpowering and offensive.

Many mainstream fragrances made for the mass market become popular because of massive and persuasive advertsiment campaings during many years (Aqua di Gio, Armani Code, Le Male, CK One, 212, DKNY...) .The truly masterpieces don't need this. You won't see ads everywhere (TV, magazines, subway, internet ...) They are like hidden jewels, waiting to be discovered .Declaration is one of these jewels.
29th June, 2011 (last edited: 06th August, 2011)
My suggestion is to never evaluate a fragrance by simply spraying it on a paperstrip, expecially JC Ellena's compositions. In my opinion the correct way to properly test a fragrance is both (and contemporarely) full wearing it and smelling it on a paperstrip. The first condition gives you an idea of the fragrance's reaction with your body chemistry, of its lasting power, projection and sillage, but most of all being surrounded by its allure, you can concretely realize the character of the composition. The paperstrip test (better done on fabric strips) can definitely help with head notes as they evaporate much faster on the skin.

I thought it was necessary to say this just because by simply test a fragrance on paperstrips we could easily dismiss great masterpieces or, as the case may be, buy a disappointing fragrance being amazed / disappointed by the topnotes. Always take your chance to full wear a fragrance before you buy it.

Said that, after countless full wearings of Declaration I'm still not able to properly appreciate this composition. I've to admit this is a very important release in Ellena's work being the highest and most successful expression of his minimalist period, and it's surely a landmark in modern perfumery, but It still doesn't work for me. After an opening with tones of spices and bergamot, the whole fragrance is dominated by a strong cardamom / cedarwood combination that's way too overwhelming to my nose. This unmistakeable aroma lays on a old fashioned cologne-like base anriched with amber and leather.

Stating to the perfume pyramid I should have dug Declaration (artemisia, leather, birchwood, vetiver...stuff I can go crazy for), but fortunately I always full wear a fragrance before I decide to buy it or even to write a review.

Conclusion: Declaration surely worths a try and a positive rating as one of the most refined and elegant fragrances in the designer's range. I still don't like it but in this specific case must be a matter of skin chemistry.
15th June, 2011
The Declaration's renowned sort of freshly spicy and aqueous main feel sets its roots over a citrus-caraway-cardamom-ginger-tea combination. Those are essential elements among the listed notes and contribute to build that sort of translucent-watery effect of transparency that tends in a while to be shadowed down by a touch of spicy acid "dirtiness". Declaration is a complex, extremely sophisticated fragrance and Ellena is one of the best master perfumers around. This blend, because of its aromatic and leathery (suede) floral delicacy, conjures me vaguely Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme (which with Declaration shares many elements as caraway, neroli, orris, jasmine, leather, cedar, vetiver, oakmoss, spices and others) which is a musky floral chypre less fluidy/sharp in undertones and more mild and "white-figgy". Both share many notes yet as nailed down and one of those is the caraway with its touch of sensual, slightly acid, airy fluidity that (linked in here with cardamom) is the responsible of its sort of somewhat organic "smell of human sweat-like" effect which in the Cartier's one is more prominent than in Ferragamo cause in the latter heavy fruits as figs and a sweeter level of viscosity slightly tame the feel. An obscure lemony touch is detectable till the end of the development and never stops working as joined with the cardamom fluidity. Green aromatic patterns as birch, artemisia, juniper and moss exalt a cool and airy temperament which, even because of a bitter neroli chord, exude a slightly tart floral undertone. The suede note is featuring and silky, conjuring me vaguely the darker leather of Creed Cuir de Russie because of its slightly orangy, aromatic, somewhat vintage and " laundry-toilette " type of temperament. The suede is connected with soapy amber and aromatic-orangy patterns in a game of smoothness and silkiness. The floral mildness and the undeniable sophistication is carried out by a great blend of flowers and spices (cinnamon exalts the mildness while pepper imprints a touch of dusty piquancy). Jasmine integrates perfectly its substance down in the general silk while orris root provides the wake with earthy vegetal sophistication. The note of vetiver is tamed in earthiness (it appears almost musky) while cedar is dry, vaguely smoky and balancing. The longevity is faint as unfortunately happens with many Cartier's. A great scent for a modern and confident man that exudes a sense of airy-exotic and fresh confidential cleanliness.
10th June, 2011 (last edited: 28th March, 2015)
I love the rather bitter and dry quality of the woody notes here..Magnificent..

In one of the negative reviews here I read "Smells like an old classroom" - right but...isnt that adorable? (well..provided one didnt have a traumatic childhood at school)
03rd June, 2011
This is really well done and absolutely has Jean-Claude Ellena written all over it with his marvellous clarity and legibility.
From the beautiful opening of bitter orange playing against the gentler bergamot to the heart dominated by cardamom, this is lovely stuff and can easily last twenty hours.
There may be cumin in there, but, if so, it doesn't have the warm heart of cumin; the cooler cardamom definitely dominates.
All in all, wonderfully balanced, complex, but never cluttered.
11th May, 2011
The highlight Cartier scent, three known primer Jean-Claude Ellena before Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme and Bigarade Concentré, and most importantly: I have long signatures.
As I stated, like Bigarade Concentré and Déclaration considerable scrutiny and see if the two look closely, they both made separator of an “artist” to this issue you will discover more. Reliance of these options are available for those who want Jean-Claude Ellena and his artistic style and context to recognize. Perhaps from the perspective of traditional and oriented types who are old smells, techniques and methods like Jean-Claude Ellena, Bertrand Duschaufour or Mark Buxton crowded and tangled and can’t seem upset in the works of modernism to digest these! On the other hand, Déclaration smells somewhat mysterious and complex, which is light and can not be a good option to be considered conservative! But in return for large groups of people, especially youth, is the best because it trace the innovations so that his unique, comes to the eye. With a
little swimming in the raging waves artist, I can conclude that: his specific ideas that people still have not reached middle age and the old man (or conservatives) can not with new ideas, communicate.

Not seem to cram Bvlgary Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme next two intimate friend is wrong? As is clear from the references listed are a lot of tea, too, with a sniff as the short term, tea aroma can clearly feel.
Déclaration is the same way, but his reference to tea is short and can not say that based on the tea is made. All of these cases within the example I’ve had cuisine Jean Claude Ellena... What fun!
Add: Also I should add that I do not see Terre d’Hermès pushed to do this intimate gathering.

Déclaration is weary of secrecy, so whatever is inside, shows his form showed itself naked. No complicated formulas maze and will not mislead: the gentle fragrance based on “WOODS” and parallel to it, bold shades of orange/tangerine tasty, with the effects of mild peppers and green tea... hah! perfect logical process suggests that the constructive talent shows his determination to have plans to offer such a masterpiece.
Jean-Claude Ellena path that had begun with the publication of Déclaration and Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme offering a more effective step forward was taken, finally, after getting the result ended Bigarade Concentrée... At this stage I do most fruitful stage of his career is considered and is full of innovation.

Basically a lot of professional work have to say and rarely among them can be banal and vulgar things found. His latest juice, Voyage d’Hermès, which none of the three does not belong to his and more influenced by Geza Schoen’s style and famous 1872.
Instead pleased that J.C. Ellena, and Cartier, as the practitioners of this masterpiece, in imitation of their traps have not been caught, although the choice of names for Cartier products carefully and do not precipitate and hasty acts, but so does the importance of his great products dispel.

Bottom Line: the first effect among the successful trio Jean-Claude Ellena, best Cartier men scent plus Roadster and ultimately it is the relative Terre d’Hermès and this analogy, I think is wrong (contrary by those who have commented in this case.)
03rd April, 2011
Some comparisons I do not understand and do not know why some of this analogy are doing them. One of the strange comparison is comparable between Déclaration and Terre d'Hermes. Is interesting that the number of people who approve these comments are not too low. Can only say that the similarities are very general and if they are more careful detail we do not see any resemblance between them. I think Terre is an excellent and very special, but I prefer Déclaration to it.

Déclaration is my signature and my friends say that Déclaration my two friends are inseparable! The beginning of the orange leaf can be clearly felt and Jean-Claude Ellena seems to smell of oranges and likes most of the fragrances that made its uses. (I've mentioned in the beginning of the smells are citrussy or fruity and almost all of them this rule is respected)

Déclaration is a light-woody scent. The silage is average and on my skin that lasts about five hours... I think this amount is sufficient. Some do not like the perfume they use powdery or creamy and Déclaration for these people is considered a good option. A joyful and unique that does it being boring is not seen. This is my specific but if you use it let me!
16th February, 2011 (last edited: 23rd February, 2011)
Very classy and Masculine scent.
Opening notes are very pungent and it's very noticeable Jean Claude Ellena's construction work.
Silage fairly descent, dry down into a very pleasant woody notes. I can see an elegant man wearing declaration and I will advise it for Office or formal occasions.
Mature Public ! Elegant and classy!
25th January, 2011