Positive Reviews of Denim by Denim

In the 1970s and early 80s Denim had a higher status than it has now. Currently it can be found for very low prices in budget shops (here in NL for €2.99). For some odd reason it has two concurrent sources: it is still marketed by Conter, in boxes with a hole cut-out to show the bottle's medallion, yet it is also sold in different boxes marketed by Swiss Codaa. Both are made in Italy.

Denim is a fougere with rough edges. It's main note is clearly leather, preceded by a choppy bergamot and clary sage. It has a fairly prominent vetiver, an amber note and a soapiness accompanying the leather. That is basically it, but the blend is good. Old-school masculine; the complete antithesis of metrosexual scents. Personally I don't think it is fresh enough to be a barbershop scent; its slightly dirty Azzaro vibe disqualifies it.

It's not particularly sophisticated, but it's not supposed to be. Its original marketing campaign wasn't a man in a dinner jacket at a cocktail party, but a man in a denim shirt being manhandled by a woman. That's what you were supposed to wear Denim for.
14th April, 2016 (last edited: 20th April, 2016)
"Always blue but never moody..."

An evocative music is playing in the background. A woman's hand with blood red nails, is slowly coming down a man's chest, caressing prepensely his jeans shirt. She wantonly opens one of its buttons, clearly showing what her intentions are, and then moves to the next one. Before unbuttoning it too, the man's hand falls abruptly on hers, stopping it. A gruff male voice says: "Denim. For the man who doesn't have to try too hard..."
It's 1976. I'm sitting mesmerised in front of the TV, trying to decipher in my juvenile mind what this commercial is about. Words like sex and lust mean nothing to me, and girls are just for scaring them, or chasing them down to empty a glass of water on their heads.
It's 1982. Girls now mean a lot more than they used to, and I know what sex is and what the commercial was talking about. Theoretically at least. One of my uncles, a not handsome but charming as hell man, has the frozen glass bottle, which some years ago took my breath away, in his bathroom. Without thinking twice, I pour a good deal on my hands and splash it on my face. And I'm mesmerised again. My cheeks become red with excitement. This is the real thing! This is... sex! Or at least how sex must smell like. I exit the bathroom and wait for a while, trying to come up with an excuse for the way I smell. In less than 5 seconds, my uncle raises his head from 5 metres away and with a broad smile on his face he asks "Do you like it?"...
It's 2014. Nearly 40 years after it hit the ground running, Denim is still the smell of my night-time fantasies, and it evokes the same excitement which I felt when I was trying to understand what was it that a man didn't have to try too hard about back in 1976. I don't know of any other product, perfume or not, that goes on with the same slogan for 40 years, which means that the bloody thing works. And how could it be any different? This is one of the most honest and downright fragrances I know, if it doesn't top them all. It's raw, it's unpretentious, it's easygoing, it's as masculine as they come. It's Denim. Simple as that...
23rd October, 2014
ad_scott Show all reviews
This is one of my favourite nostalgia scents of all time. Fresh, clean and ambery. Totally inoffensive, comforting and amazingly low-cost: 5 GBP for 100ml. I prefer the EDT/Perfume version (stronger than the aftershave) as longevity is 6+ hours; sillage and projection are decent at first but fade/stay close to skin after an hour. The opening is fresh and soapy; the dry down is a woody talcum powder. Highly recommended!
13th October, 2014 (last edited: 28th May, 2019)

Chet56 Show all reviews
I enjoy wearing Denim and feel very comfortable and confident wearing it because I love the fragrance of Denim myself. I remembered it from my younger days and decided to give it a try. Despite its decidedly macho marketing image, it has a light, fresh scent that would have set it apart when it debuted in 1976 and set the stage for other lighter, fresher scents that followed for the next 20 years. Denim has become hard to find in the US but I have lately found it via Amazon.com. The fragrance is clean, fresh, and pastoral and wears well though the day. Longevity is excellent for a light scent, and I believe the sillage to be intriguing and slightly mysterious - "what IS that fragrance, and WHERE is it coming from?" Denim is a great value, far less expensive than most of the fragrances that followed its lead.
29th August, 2014
MacTukaKa - if you´re searching for a scent similar to Denim try Bijan for Men (1981) - to me it seems to be a complete ripoff of Denim with a little sandalwood and spices added
10th February, 2010
It is said of Captain Bunty Fortescue-Smythe, the intrepid English explorer, who liked to travel light, that he would frequently tell his companions: "A chap should be ready to travel anywhere in the Empire at a moment's notice, carrying only a small suitcase containing a revolver, a set of clean underwear, and a bottle of Denim aftershave!"
Whilst he was regaling his cronies in his London club one day with this customary bit of advice, someone saw fit to remark: "It seems to me, Bunners, old fellow, that a chap would be better equipped with a fragrance from one of the traditional British gentleman's houses, such as Trumper, Truefitt & Hill or Taylor of Old Bond Street. Surely Denim is a fragrance for oiks, cads and Yanks?"
"A common misunderstanding," replied Bunty in clipped tones. "In spite of its fleeting and inexpensive nature, Denim is a miracle of subtle blending, and seems to function as some sort of ambassador of universal goodwill. Any chap who wears it, in any part of the globe, may be assured of a warm welcome as a clean, fresh, decent, honest and manly fellow. It has won me friends from the Arctic to the heart of Africa. The only drawback is that the womenfolk seem to appreciate it even more than their menfolk and, on more than one occasion, I have been regrettably forced to use my revolver on some jealous johnny foreigner."
30th November, 2009
Vichy Homme Eau Tonic is quite the same as Denim Original fragrance, only longer lasting and improved formula. Give it a try!
02nd September, 2009
masj78 Show all reviews
I love this fragrance. Very leathery and soapy and fresh. I had the showergel as a teenager and after it dissapered from UK shelves I moved on dissapointed. However I recently managed to track a bottle of the aftershave and showergel in a gift set on an online phramacy. It is still made in Italy by conter and also exists in many other forms. It is very cheap still and you get a lot for your money, but sadley isn't long lasting. If you want something which smells similar and more suffisticated try Aramis or Azzaro, which are more expensive but longer lasting.
05th August, 2009
I'm searching for original EDT that has the same notes like Denim, cause this is my fauvorite scent. I have AZZARO POUR HOMME, it has some similar notes, but I WANT TO FIND SOMETHING MORE SIMILAR TO DENIM, THAT WILL LAST LONGER, cause the aftershave and the deo-perdume fades away quickly.
08th July, 2008
I remember this scent from the 80-s when it was still around - a somewhat leathery chypre with citrus opening notes, flowery heart and musky-leather drydown. It would be interesting to come across the bottle again.
26th December, 2002