Positive Reviews of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I have an original sticker bottle from 2007 and the first reformulated version I received as a gift in 2009. To be clear, the original is the only one worth messing with and will be the main subject of this review.

I don't know if I smell all the notes listed in the pyramid, but here is what I do smell:

This combo of ingredients is fantastic! The reformulated versions are missing the lavender + tonka/tobacco and that is not okay in my opinion. The scent lasts about 10 hours and gets better the longer it has been on your skin.
07th June, 2016
Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme is a nice lemon fragrance, the blueprint, perhaps, for Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche and Frapin L'Humaniste. It reminds me more of the Chanel, although this one seems to have better longevity.
06th June, 2016
sharp, floral, citrusy with a signature note which reminds one of man.aubusson types of fragrances. this however is brighter and fresher kinds. a kind of scent which suits any occasion. nothing mysterious about it though. don't go overboard with your sprays, 4-5 max.
06th June, 2016

Great scent. Plenty of compliments. Although it was introduced over twenty years ago it doesn't smell dated or 90s. It smells modern and classic at the time. Great citrus open with amazing tonka woody tobacco dry down. Longevity is fair on me with decent projection. With the quality and price everyone should have this in their collection. Enjoy!
15th May, 2016
Vintage was exceptional, competed well against the super slick Armani Pour Homme of the 80's It was a gift in the mid nineties from a girlfriend. Used it up and purchased a 50ml, sorry no, 75ml in the mid 2000's and meh??!!
A Vintage bottle is coming my way. We'll see.
Vintage Late EuroItalia 2004 is as close to the original as I remember.
Strong Tobacco drydown and a nice plonk of Synth Sandalwood.
19th March, 2016 (last edited: 01st July, 2016)
I don’t know how Pour Homme smells today, but I recently acquired an early Euroitalia bottle of this (mostly for nostalgia, as I wore this fragrance in the Nineties, without even loving it that much back then) and all I can say is that it smells, well, really good. Not exciting, not particularly fascinating... but just totally, really good. Almost astonishingly good. All I get is lavender, tobacco, a drop of creamy, slightly orange-infused citrus and a mellow, agreeably sweet base of musk, vetiver and tonka, initially briefly refreshed by a sort of Mediterranean herbal-tea accord in which I think I get mostly sage and something like thyme paired with, well, “something” that reminds me of juicy bittersweet black tea (that may be due to tobacco, though; fresh grounded tobacco has often a tea-like aroma).

The notes may sound a bit generic, while the result is inexplicably complex, totally unique and recognizable, way more than it may seem by reading the composition. In fact I can’t really think of anything similar to this, maybe some facets of vintage Dreamer by Versace for the same tobacco-musk-lavender “clean and warm” base, or some other tobacco designer scents, but that’s a long shot in any case since there’s quite something more – and mostly better – going on in Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme. I guess this uniqueness is due to the way musk, tobacco, tonka and citrus interact, they create “something” really comforting, clean (musk and lavender), slightly sweet and warm (tonka and tobacco, plus that “tea” accord I mentioned above) but with a really classy touch of tart, herbal citrus freshness, which altogether create an uplifting sense of confidence, affability and informality with a sultry shade of class, a perfect balance I rarely found in other fragrances. Guess this is an example of how a skillful, eclectic and mature composition smells like. Maybe uncreative, but not anything has to (try to...) be creative. Truly a soothing classy sillage with just the right hint of clean, smoothly modern and understated “genericness” which makes this fragrance a really enjoyable and solid everyday option, with a particular “youthful” vibe. Quite linear, but if something smells this nice, that’s just a plus.

Given the number of negative reviews I read about Pour Homme I assume that today it smells probably a bit more synthetic and harsh than it used to, and I can really believe that since the quality of Euroitalia works of the Eighties/Nineties was quite much higher if compared to today’s standards among designers – not to mention Dolce & Gabbana usual standards, which make Pour Homme even more a unique standout. The early Made in Italy version surely has some soapy-synthetic feel especially on the musky-lavender notes, but overall it has an undisputable solid quality and a remarkably rich, fulfilling and breezy texture that makes it really worthy a sniff – if not a blind purchase in case of good deals (way more than the nice albeit totally overrated By Man in my opinion, to mention the only other masculine Dolce & Gabbana scent worth some care).

24th October, 2015

A beautiful rich.classic and elegant.i adore this scent.the best D&G fragrance in my collecion and i think everyone can use type fragrance in their collection.

I love this cologne from the start to the end specially middle and base notes.D&G is a different from the aromatic fougere for me.

I always feel a great when i wear remindes me of a special autumn night!in my opinion you must this scent with your inner world,not just to sniff it with your nose.Good sillage and long lasting.

16th May, 2015
D&GPH was my main office scent for a couple of years and I changed to Eau Savauge when the bottle ran out, but I really liked this and need to buy another bottle to mix back in the weekday rotation before summer. I can't say if the bottle I had was the original German version or the reformulation and will have to experiment with it to determine if I detect anything different.

What I liked best about D&GPH was that it seemed to fit settle and project perfectly on my skin for the office. Nice fragrance that didn't offend or knock anyone out with any heavy notes.

Very classy combination of citrus top notes, and some dry woody, musk and tobacco tones underneath that lasts about 6hrs. I'd be happy to own this one again.

13th February, 2015
I am only familiar with the German version.

A very nice, well blended, refined, versatile fragrance for men. There is a hint of tobacco at the base, alongwith some woods. While perhaps not great, it is still very good. The only complaint is that projection and especially longevity could have been better.

The bottle looks and feels great, the box is even better.
28th January, 2015
I tried D&G's 'Pour Homme' even though I'm not one. After all, many of my favorite perfumes were designed to be used by people of either/any sex so I often try scents that weren't formulated specifically for me.
The present version of D&G's 'Pour Homme' is a nice enough scent. Although the Tangerine may not smell exactly like the real fruit, I prefer it to the many Citrons and Oranges that find their way into men's colognes. I would have liked a little less Tangerine and a little more of the other scents that make up the smooth background of this cologne. The complexity is already there, but it has been overwhelmed by the fruit like a breakfast that is all orange juice and no toast.
I am of two minds about the fresh soapiness in this scent. While it would be nice to know that you smelled as if you had just stepped out of the shower all day long, I wonder about that scent when it combines with the real scent of a human body that has put in a full day's work. I'd prefer to leave a shower with my own neutral scent rather than smelling as if I had forgotten to rinse.
While I won't be adding a bottle of D&G 'Pour Homme ' to my cabinet of scents I can think of colognes for men that are far less pleasant on the nose than this one. Just walk through a shopping mall or a High-school hallway, or pick up a magazine that is designed to appeal to men and your nose will be assailed by a number of scents that make 'Pour Homme' smell very welcome indeed. It gets a positive rating from me because there are far worse scents available for men than this slightly formulaic one.
12th December, 2014
To me this is summer in a bottle. I am personally not a fan of summer perfumes, but this is one of the most well done formulations I have come across and it almost made me a summer perfume wearer. It has a little bit of sun tan lotion, a little bit of the sea breeze, and some sunshine thrown in for good measure. It also manages to avoid being over the top or overbearing in its sillage and lasted for about 3-4 hours on my skin. If you want to remember your vacation in Rome in the middle of December or have an enjoyable summer option, pour homme is definitely the way to go!
13th October, 2014
Thats a classic from the 90's ,full of class with lemon and quite fresh opening that settles down
to a sweeter base with tobacco and some nicely rounded woods!
Excellent stuff.

I dont usually edit or change my statements or reviews, but I have to add here the review for DG PH
2012 version in order to save some peoples MONEY!!!
I am a fan of the original made in Italy DG but lately I received a new bottle 125ml which is made in UK (original)
Watch out guys!!! its reformulated and they have done it in the worst way!
watered down,all this richness of the original tobacco has stead you get a fresh lemony top that dries down in some airy woody base that is very light and unable to detect after 2-4 hours...
I am really disappointed thats why I edited my review,to share this with you before you buy your new DG,TEST IT!!! its different and weaker!!!
11th October, 2014 (last edited: 26th October, 2014)
I love it, but when I was in hospital and wore it as I was there for 2 months, the English nurses, absolutely hated it and were very vocal about it spraying hospital disinfectant and covering thier noses as they walked past when I sprayed it on. Funny though I left and gave it to the English guy next to me, and they loved it on him. Maybe it doesn't work well on tanned skin and only white skin? I went back to see the geezer I gave it to, and he said they all asked him what it was and bought bottles for their partners. Strange that happened when my mother bought in Chicken curry and they all complained about the smell of curry, the garlic and chillie, however chicken curry was the first thing to be sold out of at meal times and the canteen! Its now the National dish so often the reaction is based on passive aggression and not the article. Sorry this fragrance turns into a social comment, but when has just come out of a coma, after 4 moths and has a shave and bath after that time, and want a beer, food one remembers the reaction of caring staff and I had this fragrance then bought in to say get well soon. Smells can evokes memories.
03rd September, 2014

Classy is classy. I earned a lot of compliments when I was in my 20th
I love it like my signature scent for daily even now that I'm older
05th August, 2014
dolce & gabbana pour homme is a rather subtle fragrance that does not last long when wearing.
06th January, 2014
A Shadow of its former greatness, but still pretty good.

I first discovered Dolce and Gabbana PH in the late 1990s/2000s when I was in college and in my 20s. The monster projection and longevity of the original formulation was a true beast. I wore whenever I went out at the clubs, on dates, at parties. I got massive compliments and positive comments. It was the signature scent of one of the most impressionable times of my captured the last few years of my youth and the transition to adulthood. I wore it when I was dating the woman who would become my wife and even wore it at my wedding.

Then, a few years later, I grew up, landed a "real" job, bought a house, and had a couple of kids. At this point, the loud in-your-face fragrance I wore to the clubs wasn't really appropriate for the office or to family nights out at Peter Piper Pizza. Although when my wife and I would go to Vegas for a quick vacation without the kids, I would douse myself with a quick spray, and I was ready to go.

Just the other day, I bought a bottle online. When I smelled it again, I immediately noticed the reformulation. This was from the 2009/UK formulation (yes, it is 2013 so i was sold old stock, but that's for another post). This new version is a shadow of it's former self. Yes, it does smell similar, yes, the projection is quite a bit less and the longevity is less than half of what it used to be. I was immediately disappointed, but the more I wore wear it,the more at peace I am with it. For me, it retains its essence, but now it's a lot more "safe" to wear to the office or even at a family night out. It has evolved with me, but I am still nostalgic for the memories I used to have.

Am I happy with the reformulations? No, but I am at peace with them. I understand why designers do this sort of save money, etc. My real gripe with this is that scent is one strongest memories we have, and this is D&G's way of telling me to move on and grow up. I just don't want to!

I suggest they come out with a EdP version of the reformulation to restore it back to its former glory. I know that I would immediately got out and buy a bottle!

Pros: Brings back great memories
Cons: One word: Reformulations!

01st June, 2013
The Ultimate Versatile Fragrance

I think this is a nice scent to have in a collection. It is versatile and can be used in basically any situation. I'd say the only situation that would be hard to pull off is in a club just because its performance isn't that great. I really enjoy Dolce & Gabanna's presentation of the box and bottle as well.

My biggest complaint is the scent itself. It's pretty boring and generic but that doesn't have to be a bad thing if you're looking for a versatile scent.

Pros: 1. Very versatile 2. Affordable designer fragrance 3. Fantastic box and bottle design
Cons: 1. Somewhat generic 2. Slightly below average performance 3. Not complex

01st June, 2013
safe daytime scent

A very safe light aromatic fougere that won't frighten the horses. A light citrus backed up with a hint of gentle anise barbershop. Good for daytime workwear but a bit conservative and unsexy for social occasions

Pretty decent longevity too

Pros: safe purchase
Cons: bit conservative

16th May, 2013
The Greatest perfumes i have ever used.People might say ,it is for the mature people.I must say,it is true.Surely for a hardheaded real man,not for scool going jerks.This one truly lasts very long and so much alluring from begining to end.
14th May, 2013
I loved this fragrance from the first smell. Excellent sprayer.
It can be a bit overwhelming if applied too heavily.
It reminds me of nutmeg and syrup (and cardamom).

If you're going to wear this to work, use it sparingly.
With four sprays, I gassed-out myself in the car and felt I was gassing out others in the elevator almost an hour later.
At the three-hour mark, it really settled and became a lighter, extremely pleasant, manly scent that I enjoyed for the rest of the work day.
This one would be good for church and evening wear for those over the age of thirty.
This one might not be good for hot-weather wear because it has a thick aroma.

My wife likes it.
11th May, 2013
A soapy citrus with nothing outstanding or that sets it apart from the masses of other dept. store citrus fragrances
05th May, 2013
I was not crazy about this upon first sniff, but after a few wearings I start to get the sweet, almost fruit tobacco feel, and its getting bumped up in my book. I can see why people may not like this. My first impression was that its soapy, and a bit feminine. And there was something offputting about the scent but I now see its appeal and am starting to like it a lot more.

But its definitely a safe scent that is a crowd pleaser so while it may not be a homerun for everybody that wears it, I think people around you will, for the most part, like the scent. Its very mature without being dated. Its classy but retains a bit of the playfulness so it can be a easy all-day fragrance. Its projection and longevity is good enough to be a winter fragrance and its light enough to be worn in the summer. Definitely a classic.
13th March, 2013
This scent became my signature/daily driver for 2012. I happened upon an unopened bottle for very cheap late last year so i picked it up. Honestly, I like obscure, synthetic scents. CdG oduer series, Costume National, etc... Fragrances that are hard to nail down or on the other end of the spectrum scents that are maybe more single noted but in your face. Yes, I like to smell different, or unique.

D&G pour Homme is not any of these. However I do respect the nose of others so I try to pick a yearly signature based on its pleasantness to others. pour Homme is very traditional, agreeable in my opinion. more restrained but still warrants regular compliments. Its citrus-y top note is a joy to put on after a hot steaming shower. As it wears through the day it continues to make me feel clean if not very slightly sticky sweet. Im a smoker and work outdoors and this has gotten me through most work days this year feeling fresh and pleasant to co-workers. It has also done well with daytime weekend errand running. Maybe it is just utilitarian for me given my habits and needs for a daily wearer. I will not bludgeon you with fancy descriptives, i will only say that it worked for me for a year as a signature without boring me. The other scent i wore a lot of at work was Armani Code, and though agreeable in my opinion, code would bore me silly after a few consecutive wears. To much tonka Bean for to long. D&G pour Homme never got boring for me. I used about 7/8ths of a bottle a 125ml. bottle this year. Yet it still stayed fresh and never a complaint from others.

I plan to quit smoking this year so im going to be heavily revamping my collection over the next few months. Namely getting away from the smokey, tobacco-y scents. So I will be reserving whats left of my D&G for special, nostalgic moments. But I will end by saying that, I have, and others too, very much enjoyed wearing pour Homme this year and I may feel slighty alone as I search for a new signature for 2013.

PS... this was my first review, hope it was helpful.
30th December, 2012
Very solid juice, the best male offering from D&G. Unlike The One this can last for a work day and still be noticeable. Overall, very pleasant smell, albeit somewhat on the soapier side. Strangely, reminds of a soapier, less sweeter and more watery version of La Nuit de L'Homme.
24th November, 2012
Beautiful tobacco Vanille scent and well blended give you that masculinity vibe and a punch of sweetness and definitely a compliment getter
12th November, 2012
I have to say I was impressed with this one. One of the more preferred men's D&G frags. Pepper and cinnamon with a tobacco twist (Very little tobacco). Received quite a few compliments with this one. Definitely one you would want to have in your arsenal. This one will get attention. Don't go heavy on the sprayer.
01st November, 2012 (last edited: 19th November, 2012)
VINTAGE FORMULATION: that's a classic. Great for summer and fall. It has a nice citric open and then turns to a sweet tobacco fume. Average projection and sillage.
25th October, 2012
I have only tried the current formulation of this, but I like it. The opening is an arid, peppery orange wood that smells crisp and inviting. The heart is warm, light green, and spacious. This is perfect for hot weather, white pants, and boating. If you like those things, try this.

Note - If you've ever tried Salvador Dali's Le Roy Soleil, imagine that formula enrobed with a soft green floral air and slightly better longevity.
11th June, 2012
This review is for the vintage one with the sticker on the bottle and made in Italy as well for the reformulated embossed bottle (made in Germany)!

Amazing fragrance starting with a lemon opening and is accorded by a smooth tobacco accord, lavender and spices! Very fresh and masculine! Longevity is amazing as so is the projection! hard to dislike this fragrance which is a real compliment getter as well. Outstanding and many thumbs up!! Rated 9.5/10

Reformulation as of 2009:

The embossed bottle (reformulation) is less on facets compared to the vintage I am afraid! It is not rubbish but when you have smelled/wore the vintage you see that all has been done better one day! The masculine tobacco accord is almost vanished which makes this more of a uni-sex fragrance with a lemony smell. Longevity and sillage are both way less. I own both and layer them but will never buy the new version again. This version can easily be used in summer though! Rated 7/10
07th April, 2012 (last edited: 08th April, 2012)
The best of the pour Hommes in the Dolce and Gabbana house. Scent is very good, longevity is very good, projection is moderate. The flankers on this cologne is good but none of them seem to last on my skin (well, D&G the one gentlemen isn't good). Though it's not a masterpiece in my eyes it is a classic. You can use this fragrance for about anything for anytime, if you are about 30 and up I can see you at least trying this out.
20th March, 2012