Positive Reviews of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Find out more about Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

NazguL2's avatar

Classy is classy. I earned a lot of compliments when I was in my 20th
    I love it like my signature scent for daily even now that I'm older

05 August, 2014

cologne65's avatar

dolce & gabbana pour homme is a rather subtle fragrance that does not last long when wearing.

06 January, 2014

BRM85282's avatar

A Shadow of its former greatness, but still pretty good.

I first discovered Dolce and Gabbana PH in the late 1990s/2000s when I was in college and in my 20s. The monster projection and longevity of the original formulation was a true beast. I wore whenever I went out at night...to the clubs, on dates, at parties. I got massive compliments and positive comments. It was the signature scent of one of the most impressionable times of my life...it captured the last few years of my youth and the transition to adulthood. I wore it when I was dating the woman who would become my wife and even wore it at my wedding.

Then, a few years later, I grew up, landed a "real" job, bought a house, and had a couple of kids. At this point, the loud in-your-face fragrance I wore to the clubs wasn't really appropriate for the office or to family nights out at Peter Piper Pizza. Although when my wife and I would go to Vegas for a quick vacation without the kids, I would douse myself with a quick spray, and I was ready to go.

Just the other day, I bought a bottle online. When I smelled it again, I immediately noticed the reformulation. This was from the 2009/UK formulation (yes, it is 2013 so i was sold old stock, but that's for another post). This new version is a shadow of it's former self. Yes, it does smell similar, yes, the projection is quite a bit less and the longevity is less than half of what it used to be. I was immediately disappointed, but the more I wore wear it,the more at peace I am with it. For me, it retains its essence, but now it's a lot more "safe" to wear to the office or even at a family night out. It has evolved with me, but I am still nostalgic for the memories I used to have.

Am I happy with the reformulations? No, but I am at peace with them. I understand why designers do this sort of thing...to save money, etc. My real gripe with this is that scent is one strongest memories we have, and this is D&G's way of telling me to move on and grow up. I just don't want to!

I suggest they come out with a EdP version of the reformulation to restore it back to its former glory. I know that I would immediately got out and buy a bottle!

Pros: Brings back great memories
    Cons: One word: Reformulations!

01st June, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar

The Ultimate Versatile Fragrance

I think this is a nice scent to have in a collection. It is versatile and can be used in basically any situation. I'd say the only situation that would be hard to pull off is in a club just because its performance isn't that great. I really enjoy Dolce & Gabanna's presentation of the box and bottle as well.

My biggest complaint is the scent itself. It's pretty boring and generic but that doesn't have to be a bad thing if you're looking for a versatile scent.

7.9/10

Pros: 1. Very versatile 2. Affordable designer fragrance 3. Fantastic box and bottle design
    Cons: 1. Somewhat generic 2. Slightly below average performance 3. Not complex

01st June, 2013

wormstir's avatar

safe daytime scent

A very safe light aromatic fougere that won't frighten the horses. A light citrus backed up with a hint of gentle anise barbershop. Good for daytime workwear but a bit conservative and unsexy for social occasions

Pretty decent longevity too

Pros: safe purchase
    Cons: bit conservative

16 May, 2013

Bani Paul's avatar

India India

The Greatest perfumes i have ever used.People might say ,it is for the mature people.I must say,it is true.Surely for a hardheaded real man,not for scool going jerks.This one truly lasts very long and so much alluring from begining to end.

14 May, 2013

thines01's avatar

I loved this fragrance from the first smell. Excellent sprayer.
    It can be a bit overwhelming if applied too heavily.
    It reminds me of nutmeg and syrup (and cardamom).

If you're going to wear this to work, use it sparingly.
    With four sprays, I gassed-out myself in the car and felt I was gassing out others in the elevator almost an hour later.
    At the three-hour mark, it really settled and became a lighter, extremely pleasant, manly scent that I enjoyed for the rest of the work day.
    This one would be good for church and evening wear for those over the age of thirty.
    This one might not be good for hot-weather wear because it has a thick aroma.

My wife likes it.

11th May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

A soapy citrus with nothing outstanding or that sets it apart from the masses of other dept. store citrus fragrances

05 May, 2013

mtheory8's avatar

I was not crazy about this upon first sniff, but after a few wearings I start to get the sweet, almost fruit tobacco feel, and its getting bumped up in my book. I can see why people may not like this. My first impression was that its soapy, and a bit feminine. And there was something offputting about the scent but I now see its appeal and am starting to like it a lot more.

But its definitely a safe scent that is a crowd pleaser so while it may not be a homerun for everybody that wears it, I think people around you will, for the most part, like the scent. Its very mature without being dated. Its classy but retains a bit of the playfulness so it can be a easy all-day fragrance. Its projection and longevity is good enough to be a winter fragrance and its light enough to be worn in the summer. Definitely a classic.

13 March, 2013

freakmech's avatar

This scent became my signature/daily driver for 2012. I happened upon an unopened bottle for very cheap late last year so i picked it up. Honestly, I like obscure, synthetic scents. CdG oduer series, Costume National, etc... Fragrances that are hard to nail down or on the other end of the spectrum scents that are maybe more single noted but in your face. Yes, I like to smell different, or unique.

D&G pour Homme is not any of these. However I do respect the nose of others so I try to pick a yearly signature based on its pleasantness to others. pour Homme is very traditional, agreeable in my opinion. more restrained but still warrants regular compliments. Its citrus-y top note is a joy to put on after a hot steaming shower. As it wears through the day it continues to make me feel clean if not very slightly sticky sweet. Im a smoker and work outdoors and this has gotten me through most work days this year feeling fresh and pleasant to co-workers. It has also done well with daytime weekend errand running. Maybe it is just utilitarian for me given my habits and needs for a daily wearer. I will not bludgeon you with fancy descriptives, i will only say that it worked for me for a year as a signature without boring me. The other scent i wore a lot of at work was Armani Code, and though agreeable in my opinion, code would bore me silly after a few consecutive wears. To much tonka Bean for to long. D&G pour Homme never got boring for me. I used about 7/8ths of a bottle a 125ml. bottle this year. Yet it still stayed fresh and never a complaint from others.

I plan to quit smoking this year so im going to be heavily revamping my collection over the next few months. Namely getting away from the smokey, tobacco-y scents. So I will be reserving whats left of my D&G for special, nostalgic moments. But I will end by saying that, I have, and others too, very much enjoyed wearing pour Homme this year and I may feel slighty alone as I search for a new signature for 2013.

PS... this was my first review, hope it was helpful.

30th December, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Very solid juice, the best male offering from D&G. Unlike The One this can last for a work day and still be noticeable. Overall, very pleasant smell, albeit somewhat on the soapier side. Strangely, reminds of a soapier, less sweeter and more watery version of La Nuit de L'Homme.

24 November, 2012

djwilson's avatar

Beautiful tobacco Vanille scent and well blended give you that masculinity vibe and a punch of sweetness and definitely a compliment getter

12 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

I have to say I was impressed with this one. One of the more preferred men's D&G frags. Pepper and cinnamon with a tobacco twist (Very little tobacco). Received quite a few compliments with this one. Definitely one you would want to have in your arsenal. This one will get attention. Don't go heavy on the sprayer.

01st November, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 November, 2012)

's avatar

VINTAGE FORMULATION: that's a classic. Great for summer and fall. It has a nice citric open and then turns to a sweet tobacco fume. Average projection and sillage.

25 October, 2012

Shifty Bat's avatar

I have only tried the current formulation of this, but I like it. The opening is an arid, peppery orange wood that smells crisp and inviting. The heart is warm, light green, and spacious. This is perfect for hot weather, white pants, and boating. If you like those things, try this.

Note - If you've ever tried Salvador Dali's Le Roy Soleil, imagine that formula enrobed with a soft green floral air and slightly better longevity.

11th June, 2012

Slayerized's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

This review is for the vintage one with the sticker on the bottle and made in Italy as well for the reformulated embossed bottle (made in Germany)!

Amazing fragrance starting with a lemon opening and is accorded by a smooth tobacco accord, lavender and spices! Very fresh and masculine! Longevity is amazing as so is the projection! hard to dislike this fragrance which is a real compliment getter as well. Outstanding and many thumbs up!! Rated 9.5/10

Reformulation as of 2009:

The embossed bottle (reformulation) is less on facets compared to the vintage I am afraid! It is not rubbish but when you have smelled/wore the vintage you see that all has been done better one day! The masculine tobacco accord is almost vanished which makes this more of a uni-sex fragrance with a lemony smell. Longevity and sillage are both way less. I own both and layer them but will never buy the new version again. This version can easily be used in summer though! Rated 7/10

07 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2012)

Dmotron's avatar

The best of the pour Hommes in the Dolce and Gabbana house. Scent is very good, longevity is very good, projection is moderate. The flankers on this cologne is good but none of them seem to last on my skin (well, D&G the one gentlemen isn't good). Though it's not a masterpiece in my eyes it is a classic. You can use this fragrance for about anything for anytime, if you are about 30 and up I can see you at least trying this out.

20th March, 2012

powerfrimpong's avatar

Very manly IMO. Slightly soapy and inviting. It can easily be used as a signature scent. ..... i consider it a gem. It's a classic and i dont see it hitting the bargain bins anytime soon. u don't smell it all over the place. I've literally smelled this on only 3 people which is surprising especially since it's been around since '94! I got this through an online swap and i'm glad i did!

12 December, 2011

Naed_Nitram's avatar

A handsome man, and a strong one, smelling of lemons and tobacco, a hint of old-world charm and timeless menace. A touch of old Sicily, smiling, formal and polite. But tread carefully, spray gently, mind your manners. There's power and danger lurking here and more than a liitle ruthlessness. He definitely knows where all the bodies are buried.

17 November, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Why do I like this fragrance?, because it reminds me of Tobacco Flower by The Body Shop, a fragrance that has been discountinued and that I used for years and years. D&G is more subtle and maybe a little more sophisticated than TF, but it lacks the power and endurance of TF. While TF was on the market, it was almost my everyday fragrance and I used other fragrances only on very sporadic occasions, that is not the case with D&G, I am using other fragrances more frecuently and use D&G only in a few occasions, but I do like it and it is undubitably up there among the best in the market. The citrus opening is very pleasant, but very very short lived, my impression is that is gone by the time you stop spraying it, then it goes into a subtle lavander, cardamom, peppery middle to give way to almost pure sage which is the dominant note for a long time. The base notes start getting more obvious slowly and not only the scents listed here can be detected, but to me the tobacco blossom is so dominant that I would list this perfume as a tobacco scent.
    In short, a very pleasant fragance, very sophisticated, but it does not supplant the discountinued Tobacco Flower. The sillage is not outstanding, but better than most, and longevity is very decent.

03 September, 2011

yoyo's avatar

Green, floral. Upon application I got a blast of marijuana smell. Then it dies down to a slightly sweet, green and floral scent. Not offensive at all. Perfect for daily wear as long as you apply at home.

21st July, 2011

chet31's avatar

A nice scent, but doesn't seem to know what it wants to be - Citrus? Floral? Woods? Maybe the charm of it is that you can pick out the notes you like, since there is a lot going on. Overall, I get a sort of barbershop feel to it. A weak thumbs up from me, it smells nice, but the prospect of wearing it is not overly exciting.

28 June, 2011

Oproust's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme is a classical fougere that starts with a brisk citrus opening that quickly belnds with the lavender and pepper middle notes, followed by a distinct sage note. The citrus never really leaves the progression, holding on all the way into the light musk base. Tobacco and tonka bean are also prominent in the base, with the tobacco never quite taking center stage. Soft woods round out the dry down. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme is a very versatile fragrance that is suitable for work or jeans and a tee shirt. This fragrance projects well and has excellent longevity. This is a fragrance I wear quite often. When in doubt, I reach for this one (must be the velvety blue box). I highly recommend Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme.

27 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

You see this in so many drugstores, it's easy to assume that it's a totally generic, boring mainstream clone scent, but it's not. It's a mass-market designer fragrance, but I can't see your average Joe Shmoe slapping this on in the morning.

D&G Pour Homme smells soapy, woody and powdery to me. I also detect subtle spices like pepper in the background, and they make this fragrance interesting to me. I have a feeling if Jaipur Homme were drier and less powdery, it would smell a lot like this. It also kind of reminds me of Burberry Brit, but without Brit's suffocating baby wipe powderiness. D&G has a dry, not sweet, powderiness.

With that being said, I do have to confess that this is a little bit too safe for me. Even though it's not an aquatic or boring synthetic wood scent, this is a fragrance that will not offend anyone, and would be totally acceptable in a conservative office setting. I think its soapiness is what gives it that safe, somewhat dull smell.

This isn't something I'm likely to buy because it's not really my style, but it's a good tasteful scent that is well made.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

22 April, 2011

perfume fiend's avatar

I really enjoy the citrus notes in this, but I can't really wear it in the Winter; it smells too old-woman. However, if I wear this when I'm exercising or it's really warm out, watch out, ladies...

17 April, 2011

Coccodrillo's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

The beginning is controversial: citrus plus the gas station! are some who can not begin to tolerate it and the reason is partly justified, but if you have some patience and be able to begin their post-modern ignore it, I can assure after several minutes (about half an hour) one of the masterpieces of recent years will experience.
    The only smell comparable with Dolce & Gabbana pH, I think Tabaróme Millésime, of course, this similarity is very general and can not as a criterion and touchstone to be exposed: the combination ashtray and orange... Creed’s course smell more natural and calmer and should in this case, I judge fairly, but the similarity of the same size will suffice!
    Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme needs to “correction fluid” for pulling on the pyramid, no doubt, for its beginning. If I was the designer of this unique fragrance and the fact that it took place, certainly thought for the “top notes” it would, because the repulsion is strong and many people are bored. I think a lot of people who do not like this fragrance, because it is a strange beginning.
    Dolce & Gabbana policy that can be adopted, this refined version of that and make it smooth and with names such as: D&G Sport, D&G Pure or D&G Light has sold! Of course, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue a few years after the original version was released can not fulfill my desire to know, because between these there is no authenticity.
    However, the current product is also an excellent and respected and can not do regardless of its many benefits.

04 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2011)

Bonoanimoes's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Dolce Gabanna Pour Homme,

Perception of scents is something very individual and private as scents can bring good and bad memories.
    By smelling Dolce Gabanna Pour Homme, I can definitely identify notes of sweet lemon grass, I know that this notes are not listed on scent's construction, but this is what my fertile imagination gets from this one.
    Visually describing scent, I would say it pictures: Sunny days, wind blowing, clean skies, freshness and protection.
    Being a bit more practical / analytical I would describe it as casual chic and versatile boy, good silage, wonderful projection. I assume this scent is already a classic!

23 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2011)

SirScent's avatar

I really like Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme.
    It's Very Fresh and very green with nice sillage and longevity.
    I am curious that I find no similarities to Aramis's Tuscany (which I wear often and is mentioned in some reviews of Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme)
    but I do find this very close to both Pino Silvestre Extreme and Jacomo's Paradox Green . There's some similar notes in both.
    I would safely say this is the rich man's Pino Extreme or Paradox Green.
    But Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme definitely has a thumbs up over Paradox Green for being a bit more complex and having much greater longevity.
    This is an enjoyable fragrance.

14 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2011)

jaimez's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana is one of my top ten favorite fragrances. The interaction of top notes, middle notes and base notes is a perfect symphony to me. It has great longevity and projection. Every time I wear Dolce & Gabbana I invariable get complements from people. The fragrance is smooth, a little sweet and a bit citrusy, but it has great presence and identity. As the fragrance matures on my skin, the scent is enhanced; I feel the sweet tobacco, the distinctive, spicy aroma of neroli and the sensual almond. Many types of cologne smell similar to me, but DG is unique and distinctive. I have read many negative reviews, 35 to be precise, and I believe the reviewers are honest connoisseurs of fragrances. However, I have to disagree with them and it just confirms that we are all different and our judgment of fragrances at the end it is a very subjective art. Especially if you take into account our different skin types and chemistry reaction to different fragrances. I need to travel a lot and I try to take three or four colognes (1.3 oz. or 1.7 oz.) in each trip. The one that I never forget to pack is Dolce & Gabbana, the other three could be changed according to my mood, the destination and purpose of trip.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2010)

Omran's avatar

There are some scents that I make sure I never run out of, this is definitely one of them. Classic, irreplaceable, unique and appealing. The initial crinkle it causes in my nose is one of life's joys lol. Every man should have this, and the Ladies really, really, do enjoy this one

04 November, 2010