Negative Reviews of Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Find out more about Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

I realize I’m dating myself embarrassingly here, but I didn’t care for Drakkar Noir when it was new: it always smelled to me like the sleazy guy cruising the Jersey boardwalk after the bars had closed. It was crude, overbearing, and chemical even in 1982, and I don’t think time has improved it one iota. “Powerhouse” scents like Macassar, Kouros, Francesco Smalto pour Homme, and Krizia Uomo are models of refined understatement next to Drakkar Noir. Say the words “Cheap Cologne” within my earshot, and my inner nose will smell not Old Spice or Brut, but Drakkar Noir.

So what does it actually smell like? Roughly one part Pine-Sol, one part liquid ammonia, one part industrial strength lavender soap, and one part powdered nutmeg. In other words, a very bad fougère. Useful to me mostly as a reference scent for “bad fougère,” or a masochistic exercise in ‘80s nostalgia.

12 June, 2014

lousif's avatar

The original formulation was my favorite fragrance. What a powerhouse. A spritz or two and both men and women found me irresistible.If you loved the original, pass on this, it's a total letdown. Right out of the bottle it's strong and it reminds me of the original, but it quickly dries down to nothing, and within two hours it's completely gone.

Al Rehab has a knockoff oil called Dakar. I'm told its a good recreation of the original Drakkar Noir with excellent staying power and projection. And it's only $4 for a 6ml roll on. I'll post a review of it soon as it arrives.

17 December, 2013

Adama's avatar

It's had it's day.

I'm not going to get into the finer details on this one, I'm just going to lay it out short and bitter: Drakkar Noir smells like an older man.

It may have been worn by young people years ago, but it doesn't work with today's tastes.

26 August, 2013

FireVoid's avatar

Was awesome when I was 15. Way outdated now. Like cool water or eternity. Just leave it in the past.

27 May, 2012

bFlay's avatar

Bug Spray! Opens at the top with a sort of sweet, green-spiced masculine potpourri scent that's basically the same as every cheap mass market male cologne and then... BUG SPRAY!

09 February, 2012

Brian59's avatar

My first purchase of this was spring of 1983 as a wet behind the ears law student. Seems my friends all knew I was both a fashion and men's fragrance tragedy. I can't quite put my finger on why I like this, I just know that I do. The French would call this "fougere" (whatever the hell that means, but I take it to mean "mossy", "woodsy" etc). I like the name, supposedly a Viking war ship. I still wear this, even though it has changed a bit. Quite nice...

03 February, 2012

del's avatar

I know to some people, Drakkar Noir is a classic. But this is just not for me.

I was a young teenager back in the early 90's when I first tried this; I liked the opening: fresh and sweet. But it quickly transformed to a whole different scent that smelled like a B.O. So I hit the shower and made sure I wouldn't smell it again on my skin. What a traumatizing experience.

Spray Drakkar Noir again? Never.

21st January, 2012

rok's avatar

too powdery.. almost smells like fizzy candy.. far too feminine.. not my kind of fragrance..

26 September, 2011

Mtboxes's avatar

I wore this scent back in the early nineties because a young lady simply loved it and wanted me to wear it "for her". I never really cared for this scent... it is one of the scents that I do no care for. It's just not for me.

19 September, 2011

WillBell's avatar

There are really only a few scents that make me nauseous (quite literally), and this is one of them. It is an overbearing and overpowering scent. One drop is too much. Sorry, I received it as a gift, used it once and then had to shower well. I quickly gave it away. It is the type of scent which announces with a megaphone your presence in a building, and it lingers long after you have left.

23 June, 2011

chet31's avatar

A good strong scent that unfortunately does not work for me.

17 April, 2011

DEV1L's avatar

This is the worst fragrance I ever smelled, compared to this FCUK smell so much better. I find it hard to believe it was so popular once. This not only smell dated but extremely synthetic.
    Longevity and Sillage is extreme but it only add insult to injury. I bought this just to add another classic into my collection but to be honest with you I cannot stand this for 2 sec.

06 February, 2011

jtd's avatar

I love a good fougère. I think the genre is underrated, and still recovering from a bad spell that lasted from the 70s to the 90s. The ubiquity and heavy-handed use of Paco Rabanne pour Homme, Azzaro pour Homme and eventually Drakkar Noir in the US in the 70s-80s as well as the association with a troubled era of masculinity made people run screaming from the aromatic fougère. Then Cool Water and the like made the more traditional lavender/coumarin fougère seem stale.

To Drakkar Noir. It’s bland and it’s loud. It’s the fragrance equivalent of battleship grey at volume 10.

22 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2011)

mark_cole321's avatar

Although Drakkar Noir remains a classic scent from the 1980s, I don’t like it. It’s a fresh fougere scent that does not have much going for it in my opinion. It is not like Cool Water by Davidoff and feels mellow and hollow to me. It would have been nice if there was more complexity to this frag, but I’m just not finding it. The value proposition is not optimal either. Drakkar Noir can be a bit expensive depending on where one picks up a bottle. Many people will continue to buy this fragrance though simply because there is this sexy, alluring quality to it. Part of me thinks it was designed with females more in mind than males. I can’t understand the popularity of this frag, but the ladies seem to find it agreeable.

09 October, 2010

different-scents's avatar

You know what? I have never actually applied this to my skin.

I remember it as a youth all the boys had a bottle of this stuff. I hated it. They'd spray it on and it just makes me think of someone who's body temperature is 110 degrees. Maybe that's what others like about it? Quite possibly. I know this type of scent is for a certain type of man and that it attracts a certain type of female.

I don't think I'm that man, and I'm not too sure if I'm interested in those type of females.

Drakkar Noir, the mystical scent that I've always loathed. Perhaps one day I'll spray it on myself just for fun. I know I'll hate it. There's no point.

I'm giving a thumbs down simply because I have such horrid memories of its scent.

16 September, 2010

smelling something's avatar

I wore once in my teens, and back then i liked it, but not now, for sure!
    Too powerful and outdated. Smells cheap for my taste. Reminds me a shower gel (i don't remember the brand...) but 1000 times more intense.

WARNING: never, i mean NEVER buy a fragance based exclusively on reviews: EVERYONE HAS A PERSONAL TASTE. YOU HAVE TO SMELL IT BY YOURSELF!!!

03 April, 2010

CharlesB's avatar

I remember kids in middle school and then high school in the late 80s to mid 90s, douse themselves in this chemical mace. Like many teenage boys its loud, and abrasive with no smoothness or subtlety. These memories are probably the main reason I don't like the smell of it. tTruthfully this is really a young adults fragrance,much in the same vain as Axe today. I personally could not see myself today wearing it. BTW, A few friends and I would use it to fire small home built potato mortars. It was the only real use I found for it.

19 February, 2010

Jackisblack's avatar

a couple words come to mind with this one. . physically and morally repugnant. I had the displeasure of trying this today at kohls with high expectations. Just the name sounded epic, and the bottle, and the fact it was a designer scent made me eager to spray it on. Man, it just might be on the list top 10 of things i should not have done. Literally thee most disgusting and disturbing thing i have ever smelled. Now onto the scent, I think basenotes got the ingredients wrong, it goes something like:

Top Notes: Rubbing alcohol

Middle Notes: Old man musk/Preservative

Base Notes: Bengay

Yep if you're looking for a smell that will please the 80+ crowd, by all means get a hold of this stuff, but if you like to smell good, or even have any self respect, you will stay away from this. It smells like embalming fluid X_X

Thumbs waaaaaaaaaaay down.

22 September, 2009

chamelion's avatar

it is the absolute worst smell i have ever put my nose on its bitter and disgusting and the notes totally conflict. the lavendar and bitter spices definately make this annoying and very synthetic and its a very harsh almost chemical smell and i would NOT reccomend this to anyone its like aramis, english leather, halston Z14, polo and all of the mossy leathery annoying scents everyone absolutely cannot stand

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2009)

muskydusky's avatar

The epitome of cheap cologne. Offensive and unforgivingly common.

05 July, 2009

manicboy's avatar

3 words - lewd, crude and rude. This is the best I can do to describe DN. Yes, it's an strong, aromatic fougere from the 80's. Unfortunately, it's just not good or interesting enough in the face of its competition - Paco Rabanne PH and Azzaro PH. The opening blast is not unlike Paco's opening. However, instead of nice balance between the lavender and herbs/spice, the spice overtakes and eats the lavender for breakfast. Smells cheap and not unlike a locker-room of sweaty boys trying to cover their body odour with Right Guard. The drydown veers more towards Azzaro PH's direction and again, it fails miserably as the oak moss and patchouli are very crude and a bit too weak. Why would anybody bother with DN when there's Paco and Azzaro?

18 May, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

Strikes me as rather loud, harsh and synthetic. Nothing I would want to wear or smell.

09 August, 2008

bbBD's avatar

Definitely very noticeable and unique - you can always tell when someone is wearing Drakkar, which unfortunately means that someone is usually bathing in it. I was at a will call line to pick up my tickets to a concert when I got an overwhelming downdraft of Drakkar. Someone two lines over was radiating Drakkar and there wasn't anyone in a 20 foot radius who didn't know what it was. As my girlfriend says "It smells like the 80s".

Strong and masculine, pungent and unforgiving. You either like it or you don't. I got a good laugh when the Nordstroms SA put a sample in my bag... I can't believe they actually sell it.

Except for Polo I'm not a fan of any of the 80s macho scents (Kouros, Paco, Azzaro PH, etc.) and this is no exception.

16 June, 2008

JennieJenJamz's avatar

So highschool! And it has a stinkiness to it, like b.o. or stale farts. It's just dirty smelling. It is powerful stuff, but it dries down to a stinky deathlike musk. Kind of earthy like. My husband got a free bottle from a friend and I sighed shaking my head thinking, "I hope he uses it for work and not around the house!" It just doesn't smell right! Cheap smelling.

09 June, 2008

baris99's avatar

Turkey Turkey

it is an old juice ,used to be very famous..its a classic,long lasting and smooth but its too late to wear it now a days

30th May, 2007

G Man's avatar

My girl does not like this one as well. Good thing because it gives me a headache.

Too dark..to mossy...just as bad as Polo original.

hard to describe, but the smell makes me sick.

I could see it on some people who wear leather ect... but in the 80's..not today. smells kinda "salty" and stale. gross.

17 April, 2007

Kirk's avatar

If Drakkar were a football player, it would be Payton Manning. Over-exposed, consistent, traditional, with nobody doubting its brilliance. But like Payton, in the end its just BORING.

Why would a person wear Drakkar, when there is so many fragrances out there, and one of which can be your special fragrance that defines you. Drakkar defines millions.

When I am with someone special (romance-wise, business-wise, family-wise), I want to leave a fragrance behind that is only me (a special fragrance that works with my chemistry to create a unique blend). Drakkar dominates any chemistry its mixed with.

1 star
    out of 5

11th March, 2007

Lincoln63542's avatar

I must be the only one who does not like this fragrance at all... It reminds me the scent of old barber shops. An outdated fragrance I would be embarrased to wear or recommend. Too strong for me and sticks to the skin like a sealant.

25 May, 2006

nicolastutor's avatar

This is the only frag that has actually given me a stomach ache. I really wish they would discontinue it...

20th May, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

This scent is sooooo dry, whenever I smell it, I need a big glass of water!

13 March, 2006