Reviews of Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Find out more about Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

HickorySmoke420's avatar
    HickorySmoke420

I love this scent. I find that I only wear it in the fall/winter though. It seems this was made for my skin. If I put this on after work I get trace amounts the next morning . It leave such a great smell long after the dry down that is very faint and pleasant.

15 February, 2014

rum's avatar
    rum
    Greece Greece

As a young person growing up in the UK, I remember this fragrance quite well. It was one of the power houses of the 80s and you were just "cool" if you wore it!
    I caught up with it a little bit later than that and enjoyed the simplicity of the 'soap-clean' vibe that this scent gives out. Nice, in offensive scent (don't apply too much!), that lasts and yet smells shower-fresh right from the first spritz.

09 January, 2014

lousif's avatar
    lousif

The original formulation was my favorite fragrance. What a powerhouse. A spritz or two and both men and women found me irresistible.If you loved the original, pass on this, it's a total letdown. Right out of the bottle it's strong and it reminds me of the original, but it quickly dries down to nothing, and within two hours it's completely gone.

Al Rehab has a knockoff oil called Dakar. I'm told its a good recreation of the original Drakkar Noir with excellent staying power and projection. And it's only $4 for a 6ml roll on. I'll post a review of it soon as it arrives.

17 December, 2013

patsavouta's avatar
    patsavouta

this is another classic one, always unique, signature, masculin as sexy, present as air, true as life, dark as night sky; i cannot recognize any notes in this one, it's just drakkar noir..Remebering it from late 80's i bought recently another bottle to re-feel the essence. Probably one of the most powerful and real men scents ever created, so well mixed ingredients that produce a stable spirit of drakkar noir. Same sence for me from the spray till many hours later, works individually and slightly different to any skin tries that, working really effective in mine, plus make women melt. One of a kind.

09 November, 2013

Pollux's avatar
    Pollux
    Argentina Argentina

Classic to the point of becoming a reference

Finding Drakkar's smell alikes is fairly easy. Ceasar's and Lomani are the ones mentioned as being the best next to it, to the point a very enthusiastic reviewer and later blogger said thatthe first one was better than the original for it had what it lost in its reformulation; you can find close analogies to it in Gres' Cabaret, a now discontinued fragrance that is very enjoyable in its complexity, which I would say is better than Drakkar's; or maybe in locally manufactured versions sold by haberdashers that are, indeed, inspired by it. I imagine that this proves it is a classic, but I can't find in this argument the reason why I find Drakkar younger than it is.

Drakkar Noir smells classic, but not dated. It has a twist that provides for a contemporary feeling, a note that I associate with acquatics. Maybe many of these, a more recent group of blends, resort to dyhydromircenol, or its properties ("Powerful, thin, sweet, fresh, lavender-like, fruity, metallic, citrusy (linalyl acetate-like), clary sage-like, ambery odour." in http://perfumechemicals.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/dihydromyrcenol/ October 25, 2013).

Let my imagination or faulty olfative capabilities aside, the dry down is the best part of the olfative journey, characterized by a subdued character and limited longevity. It leaves you craving for more, at least in the version I have, which seems it has been improved lately.

The opening is spicy and citric, turning into a stingy balmy blend in a short period of time. According to the pyramid, what follows are more spices and some floral notes, carnation and jasmine: I can't get these for the stingy combo is still prevalent. Now, the base notes smells manly and powdery. The blend revolves around this stingy / powdery leitmotiv, which does not mean it is linear.

Strong? Olfative analysis brings a slight headache. Better enjoy it with a full wear. It seems it claims to be worn punishing reviewers when disecting it.

Long lasting? Not at all. Maybe overapplying might give wearers what they are looking for.

Pros: My formulation; understated and elegant
    Cons: Common, almost what an aromatic fougere a la 1980's should smell like"

26 October, 2013

Adama's avatar
    Adama

It's had it's day.

I'm not going to get into the finer details on this one, I'm just going to lay it out short and bitter: Drakkar Noir smells like an older man.

It may have been worn by young people years ago, but it doesn't work with today's tastes.

26 August, 2013

EdCSplash's avatar
    EdCSplash

The Best Masculine POWERHOUSE...WHEN UNDERUSED

well this is the classic 90's bar/club/nightlife manly powerhouse

top is a slick sharp citrus with a dark leather monster hiding underneath

this is an absolute winner IF USED IN SMALL AMOUNTS

if a splash, splash ONCE

IF A SPRAY, 3-4 UPPER MAX

common yes, dated yes, still a winner for all ages. JUST DONT OVERDO IT!!!!!

4.5/5

Pros: ULTRA longevity, hell of a manly fragrance
    Cons: HORRIBLE IF OVERUSED"

15 July, 2013

Gary F's avatar
    Gary F

Still Sexy After All These Years

I didn't own this back in the 80's, but I know a lot of guys who did and I always thought they smelled great. Thankfully, none of them bathed in it, because overdoing it on this one is really gross. Worn in moderation, the oakmoss and lavender exude a smooth sexiness that seems to get the attention of the men and the ladies. I don't wear it often, but I thoroughly enjoy it when I do.

Pros: Smooth and sexy
    Cons: Really horrible if oversprayed

20th June, 2013

hadrian's avatar
    hadrian
    Romania Romania

There are few juices who are quasi-immortal, a kind of "living classics" - and DN is one of them.
    DN is a frag of his time - it smells, it sounds, it moves like the 80s. For the perfume lover, DN will remain a constant benchmark - but not necesarily an everyday odor. From time to time, you will remember it; you know it is here, close to you, as it allways was in your contemporary personal history.
    In this bottle, both coriander & juniper makes the difference, and the moment of his glory arrives in the drydown, after one hour and a half. The rest is, as I said, history.
    Overall, a deserved 8,3/10.

29 January, 2013

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Light woody classic scent that has short longevity and average projection. This can be worn at any age.

Nice and conservative (new formulation).

25 January, 2013

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

very light top notes. besides the lavender just about non existent.the the coriander kicks inand mixes well albeit strangely with the oakmoss and patchouli. for the 35 and over crowd. very pungent and animalistic but in a good way. i am not an oakmoss fan but the patchouli mellows it out some. don't judge it in the first hour. let it sette and ggive it a chance like i did. 10 years ago my uncle wore it and i hated it but am now a fan..

18 January, 2013

scentnoobie's avatar
    scentnoobie

Classic frag, longevity is pretty bad, few hours tops. Almost Polo Green like in that the first 10-15 minutes can be a bit overwhelming for people around you. Smoothes out to a nice smell though overall and does get some compliments still. Overall can get lost though in the shuffle of more modern smelling things, to be expected when sold in mass drug stores.

24 December, 2012

Crow's avatar
    Crow

Say what you like...it's an 80s cliche, it's a club crawler classic. Whatever. Still smells great to me. I have the remnants of a bottle I bought way back when and a new bottle, bought in 2012. Same great scent.

Love it.

17 December, 2012

yeager4772's avatar
    yeager4772

My signature scent when I was in my teenage and girls used to love it.
    Rediscovered after 20+years and it still rocks! Women still love it.
    Very masculine, no boring oriental sweeter notes here, no acquatic aromas, just a solid and safe all day scent.
    This is the scent a man should smell in my opinion.
    Longevity is maybe the only low point. On my skin it seems to vanish quickly.
    Highly recommend

29 November, 2012

jadelotus's avatar
    jadelotus

I have great memories of this scent. It was my husband's date night fragrance (yes, we've been together THAT long), and I always remember it being dark and sexy with a prominent leather note. Loved it at the time.

We recently sampled it on paper in a cosmetics store and looked at each other in horror. I don't know if it's a matter of the oft-mentioned reformulation or simply maturity, but that is not how I remember it smelling.

I can't exactly give it a thumbs down because of the great nostalgia, but neither would I exactly recommend it. I am, however, tempted to buy a $7 bottle of Classic Match at WalMart for kicks. Ah, sweet memories...

27 November, 2012

kpl's avatar
    kpl

This fragrance is a very nice mossy/woodsy cologne that has been around forever. I have never yet met a single female (of any age) that did not really like this scent. It's still as pleasant now on sale at Walgreens as it was when it was introduced at the perfume counter at Nordstrom.

24 November, 2012

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

Not so long ago Drakkar Noir represented an inexpensive portal back to a 1970s locker room. Clean, fresh and unfeasibly potent, it remains the weapons-grade grooming tool of choice for those intent on sillage warfare. Although it is by no means unbearable in micro-doses, this beergutted ex-jock in stone-washed jeans is probably not going to make the sort of entrance that anyone would want to make. Beyond assuaging the twin itches of curiosity and nostalgia, Drakkar seems rather unnecessary.

26 October, 2012

classicrock's avatar
    classicrock

Re-discovered this one and it's now my main weapon of choice. The opening makes me wanna be sick but when it dries down, a legend is born!

11th October, 2012

burnelo's avatar
    burnelo

I am female and this scent puts me into "sex overdrive"! just does something to my senses!

20th September, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

It is an old classic, 30 years. It opens with a bit too much lavender and spice for my liking. Reminds me of an old guy wearing a threadbare suit - genteel. Not recommended as a blind buy or for younger people. Nothing wrong with it, just not for me. Great projection and sillage, and very good longevity. It has been around forever, so it has staying power. Unlike other reviewers, it IS linear on my skin.

23 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2013)

ElVee's avatar
    ElVee

An excellent, dark evening/casual cologne that I used a ton of back in high school and college. Unfortunately, much like my affair with Obsession, this means it has run its course in my life and not something I want to revisit today.

06 July, 2012

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

a classic.it's great in conjuring images of a time long gone. Great scent anyway

02 July, 2012

FireVoid's avatar
    FireVoid

Was awesome when I was 15. Way outdated now. Like cool water or eternity. Just leave it in the past.

27 May, 2012

Kelley's avatar
    Kelley

Cologne seems to last forever for me. That said, Drakkar Noir is one of the few bottles that I consumed in its entirety. Loved this in the '80 and '90's. I ought to go replace it someday but I keep finding other things that interest me more.

02 May, 2012

Bostonguy's avatar
    Bostonguy

Talk about a scent that takes you to a moment in time. I bet anyone over the age of 30 has a memory with this scent. For me, it was my father's signature scent.

I agree wholeheartedly with EricRico who noted missing elements to the pyramid. I'm not one to point to the scents generally, but leather is such a distinct note in this cologne. You get the floral notes right up front. Lavender for days. But the dry down leads to leather, wood, and other "green" scents with the floral notes all but disappearing.

Imagine yourself at a forest's edge, smelling flowers and then walking into the woods and breathing deeply in the piney, resiny scents while wearing your favorite leather jacket.

It's not linear, it's fairly well blended. Amazing sillage and strong longevity. It is highly potent, so it's a bit loud for people and, of course, it was the POSTER CHILD scent of the 1980s. It's a date night scent that many, many men of all walks of life used as their daily/work scent. It's far too dark and loud for work and this ruined the scent for many people.

Hard to not give it a thumbs up, though. It is well constructed and does its job. Clearly, the thing was everywhere for 10+ years.

01st May, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar
    noirdrakkar

A classic woodsy power fragrance of the 80's.

Drakkar Noir is a mix of lemon, lavendar and patchouli (in the drydown). It is the lavendar a little bit of the lemon that will draw you into this fragrance, and why you may really like it tested on a sample card, however, because this scent is volatile, easily affected by temperature and affected heavily by body chemistry, you should test this on your skin first.

The opening is woodsy, but has that freshness and sweetness that balances the scent. However, in drydown, it becomes a really dry heavy scent. It smells heavenly when you sniff the atomizer, but when you apply it, that's a different story. At least, for me.

Strength: The projection is very strong and it has a lot of longevity, therefore it is critical that you only apply 1 or 2 sprays. I would recommend against applying it on pulse points such as the wrists, but rather in areas of your body where less heat is generated.

Seasons: Winter and Fall, maybe spring (definitely not summer)

Age Group: I'd recommend this for 30 and up, but some people can still wear this well at a younger age.

Blind Buy: I would not recommend this as a blind buy. If you are a serious collector, it wouldn't hurt to test this first, though there is no urge or rush to go out and try it.

Rating: 6.5/10

Verdict: This is a controversial scent that will offend a number of people, but some may really like it. In the woodsy category, there are much better candidates out there, though. In the end, some will wear this better than others. It depends on the person.

14 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2012)

ericrico's avatar
    ericrico

I want to express my concern and discontent in the note pyramid above. Drakkar Noir is a true aromatic fougere - in both current and vintage formulation.

The note pyramid provided is missing very key ingredients (and adding some) that without them, Drakkar Noir would not be the classic fragrance that it is. Huge notes missing include Fir, Artemisia, Basil, Leather, Coriander, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Carnation, Jasmine, Rosemary & Cinnamon. Lemon is somewhat apparent - a nice touch along with a little bergamot to add a sparkle of citrus on top, but this is a green and aromatic fragrance with a lot of wood, florals, and GREEN notes.

I cannot even discern what would be in a bottle of fragrance from the note pyramid listed - no offense intended to this truly wonderful forum at all - but Drakkar Noir has a very rich, potent and distinct history in male fragrance. Basenotes is a marquis site in the world of fragrance and I am a highly-devoted lover of scent. I just wanted to point out that a huge amount of notes are missing for Drakkar Noir. This year marks the 30th anniversary of the fragrance from Guy Laroche. Even in its reformulation, the notes are there and some even prefer it as it is now a less moss-heavy, leather-oriented throwback scent...it is actually a reformulation that I believe holds up well (definitely more lifted and "cleaner"), but is clearly different than the classic original.

My next review will cover my personal feelings of this classic, but I wanted to point out just how "off" the pyramid was so people who don't know the scent are not left in the dark. It's amazing how even current formulation is holding its value and is so highly sought-after.

21st February, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 May, 2013)

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

Bug Spray! Opens at the top with a sort of sweet, green-spiced masculine potpourri scent that's basically the same as every cheap mass market male cologne and then... BUG SPRAY!

09 February, 2012

Brian59's avatar
    Brian59

My first purchase of this was spring of 1983 as a wet behind the ears law student. Seems my friends all knew I was both a fashion and men's fragrance tragedy. I can't quite put my finger on why I like this, I just know that I do. The French would call this "fougere" (whatever the hell that means, but I take it to mean "mossy", "woodsy" etc). I like the name, supposedly a Viking war ship. I still wear this, even though it has changed a bit. Quite nice...

03 February, 2012

del's avatar
    del

I know to some people, Drakkar Noir is a classic. But this is just not for me.

I was a young teenager back in the early 90's when I first tried this; I liked the opening: fresh and sweet. But it quickly transformed to a whole different scent that smelled like a B.O. So I hit the shower and made sure I wouldn't smell it again on my skin. What a traumatizing experience.

Spray Drakkar Noir again? Never.

21st January, 2012