Positive Reviews of Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Find out more about Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Drakkar Noir has a classic big '80's powerhouse scent that smells green, dark and mossy. It is very sexy and pleasant to smell. It is especially good when a light wafting of one (1) spray is spread over the chest - 1 spray is enough - stop there. The effect of the patchouli behind deep green lavender and juniper yields the magic - a deep green mossy basenote that seems to never end. When applied lightly it is very enchanting. People love that drydown! Problem is more than 2 sprays and this subtle mossy green charmer transforms into the "Swamp Thing" and he is sitting on your shoulders and won't get off. I recommend Drakkar Noir if you can self edit to one spray - otherwise don't risk the intense fog of drakkar noir of the swamp.

25th March, 2011

MadameJarrin's avatar

Any man wearing Drakkar Noir has my undying lust. I love it so much, I've been know to wear it with a men's dress shirt, tie, jeans and sneakers... tomboy sexy.

01st March, 2011

santino's avatar

Drakkar Noir was my first cologne. In retrospect, I am glad it was. Because this cologne set a great benchmark of masculine fragrances. This cologne inspired me to get quorum, one man show, bijan, grey flannel and halston Z 14. This was my usual rotation. I love this dark oily, leathery feel to it. It earned me a nickname teflon hunk (boy I loved that :-) ) This is probably as powerhouse as it can get. This is as macho as it can get too. I dont know how Laroche came up with the concept of this cologne but he sure pulled off a winner. I now have a lot of cheaper alternatives of this cologne so I am not sure if I am going to buy it again but this one deserves all due respect for the sheer quality of scent.

28th February, 2011

Shifty Bat's avatar

It's so funny and exhilarating and even embarrassing to me to see the rainbow of reactions to this scent. THAT is, maybe above all else, what makes Drakkar Noir so memorable to so many. Some love it. Some hate it. But either way, there is passion involved! How many fragrances have survived for half as long, balancing on a razor's edge of sheer reaction?
    I got my hands on a sample of this in a gift set five years ago and it became my first favorite scent. One could consider this the catalyst for my subsequent obsession. I have since grown, developed, improved, but for all my experience I can't leave behind my fondness for Drakkar Noir. No one I know likes it, but I'll keep some around for myself because it's like an old photograph of a memorable event or a great friend you don't see too often. It means nothing to those around me, But I understand it better. Maybe this is the reason I tend to prefer older fragrances?

17th November, 2010

Worth1969's avatar

Spawned a million copy-cats, but the original is still a formidable fragrance.
    Rich, invigorating and very masculine. Would I wear this in public in 2010?
    Probably not, but only because it has been done to death and my personal taste leans more towards the subtle classics like Versace L'Homme (original formulation).
    The thumbs still have to go up for Drakkar Noir, for quality, originality and longevity.
    Just spray lightly, please.

12th August, 2010

epicurean's avatar

Drakkar Noir was to the 80s what Cool Water and Le Mâle were to the 90s (and what Le Mâle STILL is as I write): the sure-fire frag for high school kids hangin' out after school at the mall or downtown or wherever they'll see as many chicks as possible. DN was so ubiquitous in its day over in the US that it was like a uniform. I bypassed it and went straight for Antaeus at 16, but that's another story. Many years later, I can appreciate DN for its studly appeal; there's nothing dangerously musky about it, but it simply smells like a guy who wants to smell like a guy who's a man around town; very unpretentious, and that was its charm then and still is. Unbelievably, DN is almost a niche fragrance over here in Europe; very good specialty shops carry it, and it's got a kind of cult following for those in the know. Anyway, I would love to encounter a guy over here in Europe who wore it, but I only ever smell it in the US when I'm back visiting.

25th July, 2010

nate9512's avatar

Drakkar noir which yes can be over powering in my opion is a very nic e fragrance . i tremindsme of just comin out of the shower from lather ing yourself with simple bar soap. then putting sprinkles of bark and moss all over your body and letting it sit . Yes a very simple and clean scent

13th April, 2010

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

Fresh, straight, sexy, longlasting, not overpowering.

17th March, 2010

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

So DN is making a come back. I don't blame the manufacturers, thare have been more than enough clones of this stuff. Gone are the days of scoring a bottle for a song (forget the dance). Now it is almost an arm (no leg yet). I like it. It is all about moderation. I normally 2 sprays max with Drakkar, it is that strong. If I use the shower gel, then I use 1 spray vigorously applied to bare skin. I like it in late summer. It is a once in a whiler though...

16th March, 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar

Drakkar Noir is a classic. Unlike modern day scents that go through their phases of top middle and base notes, Drakkar Noir basically all comes out at once. It's very strong and has good longevity. Similar to Cool Water, not scent wise but the way it was made. Both Cool Water and Drakkar Noir burst out everything in those initial sprays..then just mellow out during the dry down, something that many people expect from a cologne.

Ironically they make both Drakkar Noir and Cool Water (and maybe Eternity) as those car scent leaves that hang from your rear view mirrors. This is something that can't be done with most modern day scents because of their transitions in notes.

Drakkar Noir's scent itself is pretty basic. Citrus, lots of lavender and herbs. As with many fragrances you can expect the woods to emerge during the dry down, the only difference is that Drakkar Noir maintains its top notes through and through. People recognize greatness and Guy Laroche pulled it off with this one. A top seller for almost three decades, this is a classic scent that will forever be treasured.

Drakkar Noir gets a B- in my book. The only reason it's not as high as some of my other reviews in which I speak so highly of the fragrance, is because Drakkar Noir isn't as versatile. Still a great one, an everyday wearer for some, and a milestone in the cologne world.

02nd March, 2010

shamu1's avatar

This has to be the most macho fragrance ever. It drips with arrogant, balls-out virililty. Even though its current formulation lacks the explosive power of the original, Drakkar Noir is still potent and a force to be reckoned with. It's still a powerhouse, but with the volume turned down to about an 8 or 9, instead of 11.

They may have reformulated Drakkar, but they didn't take away its soul or its testicles. This is still a bad-ass, dark, sweaty aromatic fougere that draws a line in the sand, separating the admirers from the haters. I think it's the greasy leather combined with heavy hitting notes like oakmoss and patchouli that forces people to take extreme views on this fragrance.

It's brash, but you don't have to soak yourself in it. Applied with a careful trigger finger, it can smell relatively discreet. However, you can't hide when you're wearing Drakkar Noir.

Though reformulated and a bit less powerful, Drakkar still smells like Drakkar, and that's what counts. Just spray on more if you want more power.

Count me in as a big longtime fan of this masterpiece.

MY RATING: 10/10

18th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 13th February, 2011)

tsprague1's avatar

I like Drakkar Noir. When used properly (not bathing in it) it is rather quiet and sophisticated. A little bit does go a long way, though. It is easily over used.

31st October, 2009

smellofvictory's avatar

Love it...one of the first colognes I ever wore, in 6th grade, wearing my dad's DN...fresh, yet 'dirty' and musky, unbelievable if used sparingly, it is the freakin essence of man if you know how to wear it... can be LETHAL if over applied. I would still wear this every day if I had it.

20th September, 2009

macca's avatar

drakkar is a good fragrance but what i like about it is that its hard to find in england so nobody is going to have my scent

18th August, 2009

Redbeard's avatar

DN is brash and bold, featuring citrus and a sour, smoky wood (mandarin oranges and cigarettes?) that make me picture the morning after a big party where a bunch of investment bankers all scored. There's an underlying sharp soapiness to it that I only recently detected...a little clean detergent underneath the dirty smoke. And something in the delightfully acrid base reminds me of buttered movie theater popcorn, which upon further reflection gives me somewhat mixed feelings. It's unequivocably masculine, and even though I'm sure every 18-year-old boy wore it back in the 80s, I don't think many do anymore. I certainly agree that a conservative spray hand is required to tame this beast, but with no more than a spray and a half I can appreciate its testosterone all day without just smelling like a prick to everyone. If this stuff is too jarring for you, Duc de Vervins is more mellow and green, living in the space between Drakkar Noir and Bowling Green. (Hmm, might a replacement be in order?)

06th August, 2009

cestrenee's avatar

MassMenace says: "Drakkar Noir is that annoying guy that talks too much and needs to get attention from everybody no matter what measures need to be taken.Some people like this guy, some don't..."

Well, it was worn by Truman Capote ;). Which is just one of the reasons I love this. It smells so good. Simply, that's all. Masculine, soapy and dirty at the same time, fresh, classic, comforting. For me, this will never go out of style.

16th July, 2009

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

Its official name should be changed to The Much Maligned Noir. The French lesbians, the phallic ads (“La douce violence d’un parfum d’homme”), the bottle that looks like your average shampoo, the silly name, the gateway scent of 80s youth. Actually I quite understand why some don’t like it anymore; I won’t wear Fahrenheit or Cool Water because I wore them as a teenager (although I don’t disown them.) But…I never wore Drakkar Noir, so without the weight of memories it’s basically a new fragrance. And it is of course a pivotal scent and (together with the beautiful Azzaro and Paco Rabanne PH) a baseline with which other scents of the 70s and 80s are measured.

It must have been very popular because it does indeed produce flashes of the eighties although I immediately smell it as a collection of (loud mouthed) rip-offs that Drakkar Noir has set in motion. The most flattering I know of, as some have commented before, Gucci Nobile (on paper a more unflattering example: one of the Axe’s at the end of the same decade.) But what I do find surprising is the fact that, contrary to its fame as 80’s powerhouse, Drakkar Noir is a quiet scent, probably the reason it got over applied by plebeian and youthful fools. “Soft violence” does indeed cover it as Drakkar Noir reminds me sometimes of an introverted, sweeter cousin of Quorum (from the same year.) When used correctly it possesses beautiful whispering sillage and after some use I have noticed that its longevity is longer than expected. So from the outside something of a prole but inside hides the soul of a fine gentleman.

18th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 05th September, 2009)

queenofchinatown's avatar

I wore this when it first came out and bought it again last month. It doesn't smell as good as it did back then...but still a really nice fragrance.A 'young' fragrance somehow. That is what Drakkar Noir is...nice and youthful!. It's got that clean, clear, just got out of the shower kind of vibe to it...the lavender is there and it stays, but all the other notes are there too and hang around for a fair while.It does get 'darker' the longer you wear it.People always say it smells good...and it does...the only thing it lacks somehow is a certain depth...but it is a fine scent for everyday use...inoffensive and charming without being overpowering.A very good overall fragrance.. i think would suit many men and women.

10th June, 2009

dw1243's avatar

a very nice oakmossy fragrance. the juniper is probably one of my favorite things about it . it gets a bad rapp because way to many people put way to much n

17th May, 2009

de maria's avatar

Spain Spain

this is the best fragrance you can ever smell long lasting everything you need is in this fragrance better than the best recommended

25th March, 2009

Skorpion's avatar

Mexico Mexico

I used it a long time ago during my teens in the 80s. I loved this scent, masculine, powerful, classic, elegant. I remember smelling it for the first time and thinking, I have to buy this scent. A little goes a long way, and too many spritzes can be too much.

07th March, 2009

's avatar

I bought a 3.4 oz bottle of Drakkar about 4 years ago and that bottle is still half full. It's to be worn LIGHTLY and some people don't get that. Anything more than 2 sprays is chemical warfare and offensive. It will flat out drive people away.
    When worn lightly, it projects beautifully. It's very strong and makes it presence. The lasting power is insane. If you don't shower, it'll last 48 hours and I attest to that.

I have received more compliments about this one than anything I own (and I own a shocking number of frags). It's extremely masculine and in your face. It's the most confident smell I've ever smelt. It would be a booster for a guy who isn't outgoing and needs the push to show he belongs. Women love this scent and they desire to be near when it strikes their nose.

Best part about Drakkar is it use to be extremely popular. Now that people are so sucked into Aqua di Gio, they see Drakkar as old school and unimportant. It's incredible to see the reactions from guys and girls when I wear this one. Both genders ask what I'm wearing and are shocked when I tell them of this old school fragrance. Don't let the idea of Wal Mart carrying this masterpiece a distraction.

Bottom line: I will always own a bottle of Drakkar and be a proud owner at that. When worn correctly, it's amazing. Truly.

I give this a swollen times five, thumbs up.

25th February, 2009

kevin_kim7's avatar

IT SMELLS VERY FRESH. ITS A CLASSIC ORIGINAL AND SMELLS AMAZING. ITS A MUST HAVE. GO BUY ONE. THIS IS DEFINETLY ONE OF MY FAVOURITE COLOGNES.

10th February, 2009

Scentaur's avatar

I remembered my dad wearing this one. He got lots of compliments. That was almost 2 decades ago. Haven't smelled this for quite sometime but I still remember the scent. Awesome how sense of smell is directly related to your memories. Such a classy scent. Never gets old.

09th January, 2009

avfcdamian92's avatar

yes. the amazing scent cant be faulted in my opinion as it is strong and if used correctly just a great scent. i cant explain whats in it yet get hints of strawberry and just a lovely smell throughout. sillage great and only requires a few sprays for good effect. try this if you haven't, because it is a classic.

26th October, 2008

styleguy's avatar

This is a true classic men's cologne. It is not for children. It is an elegant man's cologne. It is masculine, frankly I don't seek out to smell like a woman, but masculine is a seductive way. It is elegant, refined, and develops into a sohisticated scent - this one that has been on the cologne tray of urbane men around the world since its introduction. The men who find fault with the classic fragrances better stick to the drug store aftershave since they obviously do not understand quality.

12th October, 2008

MFJ's avatar

The opening citrus and herbal blend is very similar to that of Eau Sauvage, though very much lighter. It dries down and settles nicely into pleasantly sweet floral notes leaving the nostalgic herbal notes lingering very subtly in the background. Has rather good longevity, though i don't get much sillage on this one.

17th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 18th June, 2009)

Larry D's avatar

Definitely a classic and it still holds up among today's modern scents. This is the first fragrance I ever owned and I still love to wear it occasionally. It is immensely popular with women and my girlfriend still prefers it over my other scents. To hate this just because of its overuse is denying its quality as a fragrance. It smells great and can be worn for any occasion.

07th July, 2008

hubert delauney's avatar

My old girlfriend bought this for me as my High School Graduation gift. She knew I was into colognes big time, and her choice was great--As long as I a careful applying this (a small amount goes a LONG way) it is fantastic. It was my favorite scent through college.

12th May, 2008

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Very light opening but good drydown, fav of the ladies. Top notes are rosemary, artemisia, lavender, basil, lemon verbena, bergamot and lemon;
    middle notes are coriander, carnation, cinnamon, juniper and jasmine;
    base notes are leather, sandalwood, fir, amber, patchouli, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.

03rd May, 2008