Positive Reviews of Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Find out more about Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Revisiting Drakkar Noir after several years, I was surprised by its strong resemblance to one of my favourite scents - Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green. For that reason alone I have to love it. Bowling Green (which stands comparison with Nicolai's much-praised New York) is perhaps more subtle and sophisticated, but the resemblance between them is striking.
    Clean, green, sharp, and beautiful. Almost sumptuous at times. The trick with Drakkar Noir seems to be not to over-apply it. Let it whisper, not shout. It is certainly superior to supposed competitors/imitators like the aristocratic Duc de Vervins or the proletarian Caesar's Man. It is possibly the equal of Gucci Nobile.
    Come to think of it, I suppose Bowling Green may have been partly influenced by Drakkar Noir. But perhaps that was a case of the pupil surpassing the teacher.

17 April, 2008

jflcox's avatar

Classic and timeless. Use sparingly because a little goes a long way. I believe the negative posts are because many people apply it very heavily. Women constantly compliment it and if the user likes it as well, that is all that matters.

25 December, 2007

bokaba's avatar

I find Drakkar to be over-bearing and juvenile. It reminds me of the various axes that people think smell good for some strange reason.

17 December, 2007

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Although its age, Drakkar Noir is still a great fragrance, what classifies it to the hall of Classics! Ok, It's mossy and a bit heavy, but It's nothing that could make you choke. Personally, I think it's Gucci Nobile's older broder, mainly because it shares that herbal greeness (refreshing, for sure). However, it adds an ambery drydown that isn't sweet and reminds me of Cartier Pasha (I don't see it in the olfactive pyramid though).
    It's very masculine, long lasting and is the kind of fragrance a few will dislike.

25 June, 2007

Stelios_X_opa's avatar

Spicy and clean; one of the 'older' fragrances that i can actually stand and might even wearing one day. Thumbs up!

26 May, 2007

yipe's avatar

This was the first "real" cologne I got, about two months ago when I first started really becoming interested in cologne. My older brother recommended it, saying that it was his favorite, which fits, since that's when he grew up and was still cool. :P
    On my skin, it doesn't seem to have much longevity. I have trouble smelling it unless I bring my wrist to my nose, which then tempts me to reapply, and that only brings out worries of overuse. Maybe that's how this scent got it's bad reputation as one that tends to be used to excess. Maybe my nose just becomes desensitized to the scent.
    And what of the scent itself? Beautiful, deep, romantic, I love it. No compliments yet, but who cares? I can't be blamed if the world can't recognize how great I smell! The lavender and patchouli are what stand out the most too me, though to be fair, I'm new and have an untrained nose, I don't even really know what oakmoss would smell like!
    All in all, I'd say ignore the detractors, this is a wonderful, not-too-expensive, great scent.... that might have longevity problems on some skin-types... a thumbs up despite the one point against it. Good stuff.

20th February, 2007

kaori's avatar

Very hundsome & sexy scent which make someone who wore also hundsome & sexy.

19 January, 2007

wirral guy's avatar

Hand on heart over the years i have spent quite a lot of money trying to find a mens fragrance-that women generally like the smell of.I have bought allsorts from lacoste homme,to minotaure(loads really.Yesterday i took delivery of one bottle of drakkar noir(i had read up on this fragrance supposed effects to intice a woman to compliment the wearer)Well this morning i put some of this drakkar noir on and went around my local town to do the days shop-went into the supermarket(or mall)-and the woman behind the counter said to me"i dont want to be rude but you smelly really gorgeous what do you have on"? I then told her what the scent i had on,she then said to me that she will get her husband some of what i had.The point i am making is that i have been a customer of that supermarket for years and in all the time i have worn my other more expensive fragrances never once has that girl complimented me on how great i smell..it just goes to show that drakkar noir works,women love the smell of it!!

14 October, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

So many make fun of it because it's an easy target -- mass marketed, popular with many across the spectrum, often abused/over-applied, etc.

But really, this fragrance is pretty darn good if applied in moderation. On me, it starts out soapy and almost medicinal, but it soons dries out to a warm and citrus-y scent that stays with me long throughout the day.

Kai hit the nail on the head in his review when he called this one "deservedly popular."

If some two-bit lounge lizard in Atlantic City washes his face with this stuff, or some used car salesman in Tupelo, well, that's his problem. Doesn't change the fact that -- truth be told -- this is a Laroche classic.

12 October, 2006

Lynn Faust's avatar

this truly is a "classic" i received a sample in the mail with a cologne purchase. i sprayed a bit in the air and i could have sworn my good friend from high school was standing right behind me.

it is a very common cologne, but for good reason, and should not be overlooked. i wouldn't say it is a cologne you would want to wear frequently. the spices make it a good cool autum, early winter fragrance. it does linger into a spicey-clean smell.

08 October, 2006

Eluard's avatar

Ken Russell has said below “When I first got a bottle of it was so enthusiastic about it and almost instantly I felt much more sensual and attractive than ever before. But I also discovered another quality of Drakkar- for me it worked extremely well as an aid for concentration and intellectual work. Its heavy, smoky tones must have an almost spiritual, mystical aura.”

This immediately struck a chord in me because it expresses my feeling about another Pierre Wargnye creation, Baldarassini by Hugo Boss. I also get it from Contradiction (also by Wargnye). I wonder if this might not be a secret thread running through the perfumer’s work? He manages to create something quite spiritual in his work, something I get from no other cologne.

This might seem a bit of a stretch but the image that Wargnye’s work reminds me most of (and I’m thinking principally of Baldarassini here) is the art of 15th century painters like Fra Angelico. I’d be very interested to see Wargnye interviewed—I’m curious to know his own views on his work.

06 September, 2006

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Aaah! Also, Mmmmmm!

Female feedback rating on this, %100.

06 August, 2006

d_silent_one's avatar

I absolutely love this cologne. I used to buy it to my ex-boyfriend all the time because I used to love it on him. Very manly.

05 August, 2006

deepthought's avatar

This is good a fragrance but it is a product of it's time. Can soften down a bit on my skin over time. Could consider using it instead of nicotine patches.............

23 May, 2006

NaturalBornThrilla's avatar

I rewally like this one seems to have an ability to be casual or formal its good for almost any occasion ..... from just relaxing around the house to being at the most formal Shirt and Tie affair. I will say this don't overdo er shes strong and long lasting!!!!

23 March, 2006

jjm_1965's avatar

From what I remember, this was a nice scent as long as it was used sparingly. Got good compliments from women. I wore it for years, but changed to Curve since it is milder.

21st January, 2006

gator's avatar

Love this stuff! If you dont want to smell fruity or like a female, then this is the way to go! Only problem is it tends to have a hit of soap after a few hours

23 December, 2005

Dennard's avatar

This is a great fragrance. I love it for formal and office situations. One of the best aromatic/spicy colognes out there.

19 November, 2005

F_Frez's avatar

A bit dated, like Azzaro or Quorum, but still a classic. Suitable for office use, but better for romantic moments.

14 November, 2005

incedal's avatar

*Update* I ws too quick the judge with my first post about Drakkar Noir, visited it again and I have to say I love it now, its soapy and spicy and it never fails to get compliments! specialy from the ladys:)

13 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 07 November, 2005)

Uzkalnis's avatar

Today, it may seem simplistic and those who don't like 80s would not like Drakkar Noir either, but no-one should underestimate its influence in the structure of modern men's fragrance of late 20th century. And if imitation is the surest form of flattery, oh boy has THIS been flattered!

05 October, 2005

dallasconundrum's avatar

Drakkar is, of course, a classic. This scent has been popular for years. And, unlike a lot of its contemporaries, Drakkar has aged well. This fragrance can still compete with a lot of the newer scents and can surpass a lot of them. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is the best out there now, as I feel that there are certainly better ones, but this one won't leave you feeling like an old man or a "has been" (Polo) like some of the scents its age.

28 August, 2005

desimishu's avatar

I received many mixed reviews when i wear this...but quite honestly i didnt care about the negative ones...that because I LOVE THIS!!! Its the definition of a very masculine and sexy scent...Iss fresh at first and then the warm leathery/juniper drydown comes into play...EXCELLENT STUFF....My Girfriend's favorite amongst the many in my collection.

22 August, 2005

knightowl's avatar

This is the ORIGINAL "black"....'nuff said!!

09 October, 2004

Zdime's avatar

Straightforward and very effective! An old and reliable friend.

16 June, 2004

Sydneyguy's avatar

i have seen a lot of imitation colognes on this brand and i can't believe how badly i smelt. So whem i tried to original, it was completely different from what i expected. I can see why there are so many imitations, the smell is hard to describe but i liked it

19 February, 2004

chris_cologne's avatar

It rocks, and it smells great on young and old. "Nuff said.

19 January, 2004