Reviews of Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Find out more about Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Skorpion's avatar

Mexico Mexico

I used it a long time ago during my teens in the 80s. I loved this scent, masculine, powerful, classic, elegant. I remember smelling it for the first time and thinking, I have to buy this scent. A little goes a long way, and too many spritzes can be too much.

07 March, 2009

's avatar

I bought a 3.4 oz bottle of Drakkar about 4 years ago and that bottle is still half full. It's to be worn LIGHTLY and some people don't get that. Anything more than 2 sprays is chemical warfare and offensive. It will flat out drive people away.
    When worn lightly, it projects beautifully. It's very strong and makes it presence. The lasting power is insane. If you don't shower, it'll last 48 hours and I attest to that.

I have received more compliments about this one than anything I own (and I own a shocking number of frags). It's extremely masculine and in your face. It's the most confident smell I've ever smelt. It would be a booster for a guy who isn't outgoing and needs the push to show he belongs. Women love this scent and they desire to be near when it strikes their nose.

Best part about Drakkar is it use to be extremely popular. Now that people are so sucked into Aqua di Gio, they see Drakkar as old school and unimportant. It's incredible to see the reactions from guys and girls when I wear this one. Both genders ask what I'm wearing and are shocked when I tell them of this old school fragrance. Don't let the idea of Wal Mart carrying this masterpiece a distraction.

Bottom line: I will always own a bottle of Drakkar and be a proud owner at that. When worn correctly, it's amazing. Truly.

I give this a swollen times five, thumbs up.

25 February, 2009

kevin_kim7's avatar

IT SMELLS VERY FRESH. ITS A CLASSIC ORIGINAL AND SMELLS AMAZING. ITS A MUST HAVE. GO BUY ONE. THIS IS DEFINETLY ONE OF MY FAVOURITE COLOGNES.

10th February, 2009

Scentaur's avatar

I remembered my dad wearing this one. He got lots of compliments. That was almost 2 decades ago. Haven't smelled this for quite sometime but I still remember the scent. Awesome how sense of smell is directly related to your memories. Such a classy scent. Never gets old.

09 January, 2009

charger's avatar

Probably one of the first decent scents I ever owned, I'm talking high school days here. My girlfriedn (now wife) loved it and still does to this day, though I have grown out of it. Still a nice scent though. the lemony top note lasts for quite a while, then the dry down lasts even longer. Too many guys overused it though.

09 December, 2008

Heslipsa's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Begins with an orange-peel-with-sugar scent. Nothing very acid like leaves or remarkable like aldehydes. The orange keeps a lot and becomes less sweet, but something adstringent remembers me AXE or anything i tried at the drugstore. Interesting but risky to me.

01st December, 2008

avfcdamian92's avatar

yes. the amazing scent cant be faulted in my opinion as it is strong and if used correctly just a great scent. i cant explain whats in it yet get hints of strawberry and just a lovely smell throughout. sillage great and only requires a few sprays for good effect. try this if you haven't, because it is a classic.

26 October, 2008

styleguy's avatar

This is a true classic men's cologne. It is not for children. It is an elegant man's cologne. It is masculine, frankly I don't seek out to smell like a woman, but masculine is a seductive way. It is elegant, refined, and develops into a sohisticated scent - this one that has been on the cologne tray of urbane men around the world since its introduction. The men who find fault with the classic fragrances better stick to the drug store aftershave since they obviously do not understand quality.

12 October, 2008

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

This scent is not bad, but something synthetic here, not mineral, not natural.
    Is a fresh experience with some bad component inside. Reminds me a little bit of Kouros, I m not sure....
    I will give it a neutral because I m with good humou today.....Oldfashioned and something fresh as well. I dont know what to say, but something sure: is not for me.

15 August, 2008

scentsitivity's avatar

Strikes me as rather loud, harsh and synthetic. Nothing I would want to wear or smell.

09 August, 2008

MFJ's avatar

The opening citrus and herbal blend is very similar to that of Eau Sauvage, though very much lighter. It dries down and settles nicely into pleasantly sweet floral notes leaving the nostalgic herbal notes lingering very subtly in the background. Has rather good longevity, though i don't get much sillage on this one.

17 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

Larry D's avatar

Definitely a classic and it still holds up among today's modern scents. This is the first fragrance I ever owned and I still love to wear it occasionally. It is immensely popular with women and my girlfriend still prefers it over my other scents. To hate this just because of its overuse is denying its quality as a fragrance. It smells great and can be worn for any occasion.

07 July, 2008

bbBD's avatar

Definitely very noticeable and unique - you can always tell when someone is wearing Drakkar, which unfortunately means that someone is usually bathing in it. I was at a will call line to pick up my tickets to a concert when I got an overwhelming downdraft of Drakkar. Someone two lines over was radiating Drakkar and there wasn't anyone in a 20 foot radius who didn't know what it was. As my girlfriend says "It smells like the 80s".

Strong and masculine, pungent and unforgiving. You either like it or you don't. I got a good laugh when the Nordstroms SA put a sample in my bag... I can't believe they actually sell it.

Except for Polo I'm not a fan of any of the 80s macho scents (Kouros, Paco, Azzaro PH, etc.) and this is no exception.

16 June, 2008

JennieJenJamz's avatar

So highschool! And it has a stinkiness to it, like b.o. or stale farts. It's just dirty smelling. It is powerful stuff, but it dries down to a stinky deathlike musk. Kind of earthy like. My husband got a free bottle from a friend and I sighed shaking my head thinking, "I hope he uses it for work and not around the house!" It just doesn't smell right! Cheap smelling.

09 June, 2008

Jono078's avatar

Awsome smell, is really refreshing and best used when going out at night I think.

One of my favourites, thumbs up.

08 June, 2008

hubert delauney's avatar

My old girlfriend bought this for me as my High School Graduation gift. She knew I was into colognes big time, and her choice was great--As long as I a careful applying this (a small amount goes a LONG way) it is fantastic. It was my favorite scent through college.

12 May, 2008

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Very light opening but good drydown, fav of the ladies. Top notes are rosemary, artemisia, lavender, basil, lemon verbena, bergamot and lemon;
    middle notes are coriander, carnation, cinnamon, juniper and jasmine;
    base notes are leather, sandalwood, fir, amber, patchouli, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.

03 May, 2008

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Revisiting Drakkar Noir after several years, I was surprised by its strong resemblance to one of my favourite scents - Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green. For that reason alone I have to love it. Bowling Green (which stands comparison with Nicolai's much-praised New York) is perhaps more subtle and sophisticated, but the resemblance between them is striking.
    Clean, green, sharp, and beautiful. Almost sumptuous at times. The trick with Drakkar Noir seems to be not to over-apply it. Let it whisper, not shout. It is certainly superior to supposed competitors/imitators like the aristocratic Duc de Vervins or the proletarian Caesar's Man. It is possibly the equal of Gucci Nobile.
    Come to think of it, I suppose Bowling Green may have been partly influenced by Drakkar Noir. But perhaps that was a case of the pupil surpassing the teacher.

17 April, 2008

jflcox's avatar

Classic and timeless. Use sparingly because a little goes a long way. I believe the negative posts are because many people apply it very heavily. Women constantly compliment it and if the user likes it as well, that is all that matters.

25 December, 2007

SirSlarty's avatar

This takes me back to junior high where the upcoming jocks would wear, nay, saturate themselves with this. Brings back memories of the high school prom, too close for comfort gym class changing rooms and the one time I went to a high school party.

Aside from the events from my youth, I find it particularly pleasing with its biting lemon and juniper, its mossy lavender and its longevity. You just need to wear it right. You don't need a lot for casual wear.

22 December, 2007

tazz's avatar

Kuwait Kuwait

Rather loud. It does not blend well with skin. Better on clothes. But not my cup of tea.

19 December, 2007

bokaba's avatar

I find Drakkar to be over-bearing and juvenile. It reminds me of the various axes that people think smell good for some strange reason.

17 December, 2007

drumana's avatar

Not a bad scent, per se, but I used to wear it in 6th grade and it reminds me of. . . well, 6th grade. I'd feel like I'm regressing if I wore it

30th October, 2007

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Although its age, Drakkar Noir is still a great fragrance, what classifies it to the hall of Classics! Ok, It's mossy and a bit heavy, but It's nothing that could make you choke. Personally, I think it's Gucci Nobile's older broder, mainly because it shares that herbal greeness (refreshing, for sure). However, it adds an ambery drydown that isn't sweet and reminds me of Cartier Pasha (I don't see it in the olfactive pyramid though).
    It's very masculine, long lasting and is the kind of fragrance a few will dislike.

25 June, 2007

maccus's avatar

A fragrance I like no closer to my nose than my feet. After showering, apply to well dried feet before putting on socks. Drakkar Noir is a footwear fragrance offering wonderful longevity that suits an active life style involving hiking, strenuous exercise or landscaping but I wouldn't use it otherwise because I find it prosaic.

22 June, 2007

baris99's avatar

Turkey Turkey

it is an old juice ,used to be very famous..its a classic,long lasting and smooth but its too late to wear it now a days

30th May, 2007

Stelios_X_opa's avatar

Spicy and clean; one of the 'older' fragrances that i can actually stand and might even wearing one day. Thumbs up!

26 May, 2007

Chemicus's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Some call Drakkar Noir "old-fashioned" but I think "timeless" is a better description. It starts out with a simultaneously forest-like and chemical smell, and slowly fades into an earthy and ambery drydown. Fresh and clean in an unexpected way.

08 May, 2007

G Man's avatar

My girl does not like this one as well. Good thing because it gives me a headache.

Too dark..to mossy...just as bad as Polo original.

hard to describe, but the smell makes me sick.

I could see it on some people who wear leather ect... but in the 80's..not today. smells kinda "salty" and stale. gross.

17 April, 2007

Kirk's avatar

If Drakkar were a football player, it would be Payton Manning. Over-exposed, consistent, traditional, with nobody doubting its brilliance. But like Payton, in the end its just BORING.

Why would a person wear Drakkar, when there is so many fragrances out there, and one of which can be your special fragrance that defines you. Drakkar defines millions.

When I am with someone special (romance-wise, business-wise, family-wise), I want to leave a fragrance behind that is only me (a special fragrance that works with my chemistry to create a unique blend). Drakkar dominates any chemistry its mixed with.

1 star