Reviews of Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Find out more about Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kirk's avatar

If Drakkar were a football player, it would be Payton Manning. Over-exposed, consistent, traditional, with nobody doubting its brilliance. But like Payton, in the end its just BORING.

Why would a person wear Drakkar, when there is so many fragrances out there, and one of which can be your special fragrance that defines you. Drakkar defines millions.

When I am with someone special (romance-wise, business-wise, family-wise), I want to leave a fragrance behind that is only me (a special fragrance that works with my chemistry to create a unique blend). Drakkar dominates any chemistry its mixed with.

1 star
    out of 5

11th March, 2007

yipe's avatar

This was the first "real" cologne I got, about two months ago when I first started really becoming interested in cologne. My older brother recommended it, saying that it was his favorite, which fits, since that's when he grew up and was still cool. :P
    On my skin, it doesn't seem to have much longevity. I have trouble smelling it unless I bring my wrist to my nose, which then tempts me to reapply, and that only brings out worries of overuse. Maybe that's how this scent got it's bad reputation as one that tends to be used to excess. Maybe my nose just becomes desensitized to the scent.
    And what of the scent itself? Beautiful, deep, romantic, I love it. No compliments yet, but who cares? I can't be blamed if the world can't recognize how great I smell! The lavender and patchouli are what stand out the most too me, though to be fair, I'm new and have an untrained nose, I don't even really know what oakmoss would smell like!
    All in all, I'd say ignore the detractors, this is a wonderful, not-too-expensive, great scent.... that might have longevity problems on some skin-types... a thumbs up despite the one point against it. Good stuff.

20th February, 2007

paul wall's avatar

It is true that you will get many compliments from the ladies, but i'm a newcomer to basenotes, and I want to try other sexy smelling colognes that are not that well known.

09th February, 2007

kaori's avatar

Very hundsome & sexy scent which make someone who wore also hundsome & sexy.

19th January, 2007

wirral guy's avatar

Hand on heart over the years i have spent quite a lot of money trying to find a mens fragrance-that women generally like the smell of.I have bought allsorts from lacoste homme,to minotaure(loads really.Yesterday i took delivery of one bottle of drakkar noir(i had read up on this fragrance supposed effects to intice a woman to compliment the wearer)Well this morning i put some of this drakkar noir on and went around my local town to do the days shop-went into the supermarket(or mall)-and the woman behind the counter said to me"i dont want to be rude but you smelly really gorgeous what do you have on"? I then told her what the scent i had on,she then said to me that she will get her husband some of what i had.The point i am making is that i have been a customer of that supermarket for years and in all the time i have worn my other more expensive fragrances never once has that girl complimented me on how great i smell..it just goes to show that drakkar noir works,women love the smell of it!!

14th October, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

So many make fun of it because it's an easy target -- mass marketed, popular with many across the spectrum, often abused/over-applied, etc.

But really, this fragrance is pretty darn good if applied in moderation. On me, it starts out soapy and almost medicinal, but it soons dries out to a warm and citrus-y scent that stays with me long throughout the day.

Kai hit the nail on the head in his review when he called this one "deservedly popular."

If some two-bit lounge lizard in Atlantic City washes his face with this stuff, or some used car salesman in Tupelo, well, that's his problem. Doesn't change the fact that -- truth be told -- this is a Laroche classic.

12th October, 2006

Lynn Faust's avatar

this truly is a "classic" i received a sample in the mail with a cologne purchase. i sprayed a bit in the air and i could have sworn my good friend from high school was standing right behind me.

it is a very common cologne, but for good reason, and should not be overlooked. i wouldn't say it is a cologne you would want to wear frequently. the spices make it a good cool autum, early winter fragrance. it does linger into a spicey-clean smell.

08th October, 2006

Eluard's avatar

Ken Russell has said below “When I first got a bottle of it was so enthusiastic about it and almost instantly I felt much more sensual and attractive than ever before. But I also discovered another quality of Drakkar- for me it worked extremely well as an aid for concentration and intellectual work. Its heavy, smoky tones must have an almost spiritual, mystical aura.”

This immediately struck a chord in me because it expresses my feeling about another Pierre Wargnye creation, Baldarassini by Hugo Boss. I also get it from Contradiction (also by Wargnye). I wonder if this might not be a secret thread running through the perfumer’s work? He manages to create something quite spiritual in his work, something I get from no other cologne.

This might seem a bit of a stretch but the image that Wargnye’s work reminds me most of (and I’m thinking principally of Baldarassini here) is the art of 15th century painters like Fra Angelico. I’d be very interested to see Wargnye interviewed—I’m curious to know his own views on his work.

06th September, 2006

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Aaah! Also, Mmmmmm!

Female feedback rating on this, %100.

06th August, 2006

d_silent_one's avatar

I absolutely love this cologne. I used to buy it to my ex-boyfriend all the time because I used to love it on him. Very manly.

05th August, 2006

Lincoln63542's avatar

I must be the only one who does not like this fragrance at all... It reminds me the scent of old barber shops. An outdated fragrance I would be embarrased to wear or recommend. Too strong for me and sticks to the skin like a sealant.

25th May, 2006

deepthought's avatar

This is good a fragrance but it is a product of it's time. Can soften down a bit on my skin over time. Could consider using it instead of nicotine patches.............

23rd May, 2006

nicolastutor's avatar

This is the only frag that has actually given me a stomach ache. I really wish they would discontinue it...

20th May, 2006

ikkitosennomusha's avatar

I award a neutral thumb because I used to love and wear this back in the late 80s in junior high and it worked for me then. Now days, I find it ok as it brings fond memories but there are far better choices available on the market. Also, I cannot stand that cheap, plastic cap. I think they need to redesign the bottle at least.

18th May, 2006

NaturalBornThrilla's avatar

I rewally like this one seems to have an ability to be casual or formal its good for almost any occasion ..... from just relaxing around the house to being at the most formal Shirt and Tie affair. I will say this don't overdo er shes strong and long lasting!!!!

23rd March, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

This scent is sooooo dry, whenever I smell it, I need a big glass of water!

13th March, 2006

zenpiper's avatar

Someone gave me a bottle of this stuff for Christmas and I wore it to be polite. There is nothing particularly good or memorable about it, but it's not terrible either. Strikingly so-so.

10th March, 2006

taketacom's avatar

I wore this back in high school. I'd be embarrased to wear it now, but it does smell good. It's just embarrasing to wear a scent that was popular when you were in high school. Does anyone else feel this way? Sort of smells like 80's gigalo cologne. -- It does smell good, just embarrasing to wear! Needs to be stronger too. I like strong colognes!

25th January, 2006

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Dark and lush like an unexplored exotic territory. I don't know why so many people don't like it, i suppose it's the too heavy tobacco note. Actually it's a quite good scent, it's ingredients being high quality and well combined.
    When i first got a bottle of it was so enthusiastic about it and almost instantly i felt much more sensual and attractive than ever before. But i also discovered another quality of Drakkar- for me it worked extremely well as an aid for oncentration and intellectual work. Its heavy, smoky tones must have an almost spiritual, mystical aura. Besides it's not only dark notes- as i smelled more carefully, i discovered a very
    subtle, cool and soothing touch of the finest lavender.
    Today i'm
    still aware of its true value, even if my tastes evolved significantly.

24th January, 2006

jjm_1965's avatar

From what I remember, this was a nice scent as long as it was used sparingly. Got good compliments from women. I wore it for years, but changed to Curve since it is milder.

21st January, 2006

Dave_D's avatar

I like it, no complaints from women either. Not a fragrance I would base my collection on, but a nice inexpensive one that gets compliments (use it sparingly) Its shortcoming would probably be that its somewhat generic.

31st December, 2005

gator's avatar

Love this stuff! If you dont want to smell fruity or like a female, then this is the way to go! Only problem is it tends to have a hit of soap after a few hours

23rd December, 2005

ilnaso's avatar

Ah drakkar...nothing like capturing the essence of mullets, nascar, corndogs, and wal-mart in one ::ahem:: stylish bottle. Just discontinue it already

24th November, 2005

Niles's avatar

This is a great fragrance. I love it for formal and office situations. One of the best aromatic/spicy colognes out there.

19th November, 2005

F_Frez's avatar

A bit dated, like Azzaro or Quorum, but still a classic. Suitable for office use, but better for romantic moments.

14th November, 2005

One can immediately tell that this is not a modern scent because the opening is rather uninspired. It is obviously intended for purchasers with a longer than nine second attention span. With many of the “classics” the opening is simply a holding pattern — sometimes attractive, sometimes not — while the newly liberated scent molecules marshal their forces to present their real job and purpose; and that purpose is the presentation of the middle and basenotes, which contain ninety-nine percent of the existence of the fragrance. Drakkar’s opening is a soapy and spongy aromatic / citrus. The citrus plays a very small role in the action, while the aromatics — albeit insecure, unorganized, and a bit unrefined — provide the main force of the initial volley. It’s a tolerable opening but it is far from stellar, and if it had to depend on the typical modern mass- market purchaser, it might be immediately eliminated from his list. The richer, fuller, refined heart is a balanced green / spice accord with emphasis on the coniferous notes of pine and juniper. This is a distinctly wearable accord. The heart notes are not really fresh as “fresh” is presented nowdays, but they are clean, full, and natural. With sensible application, they provide a restrained, dignified sillage that is legendarily attractive to the fairer gender. The base notes add leather, sandalwood, and oakmoss to the note lineup in a skillfully balanced and refined accord — I don’t get the patchouli that is supposed to be there because the leather overrides it to my nose. I often dislike leather in fragrances and the leather in Drakkar Noir is what has kept me from purchasing it in the past. I keep decant of Drakkar Noir and I sniff it once in a while in spite of my dislike of the leather note. I have found it an interesting fragrance in the past, but never intriguing. It is very strong and has to be applied with a good dose of restraint. Too strong and it is a turn-off. Excellent longevity. (Edit of 15 October 2005 review. Changed from a neutral.)

15th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17th August, 2009)

incedal's avatar

*Update* I ws too quick the judge with my first post about Drakkar Noir, visited it again and I have to say I love it now, its soapy and spicy and it never fails to get compliments! specialy from the ladys:)

13th October, 2005 (Last Edited: 07th November, 2005)

Uzkalnis's avatar

Today, it may seem simplistic and those who don't like 80s would not like Drakkar Noir either, but no-one should underestimate its influence in the structure of modern men's fragrance of late 20th century. And if imitation is the surest form of flattery, oh boy has THIS been flattered!

05th October, 2005

Joel_Cairo's avatar

Ah Drakkar. makes me remember my prom... but nostalgia only goes so far. it got plenty of compliments at the time, but it is very one dimensional. "sex-in-a-bottle" yes, "babe-magnet" fine, "classic" ok... but it doesnt go anywhere. recommended if you are 16 and seeking to loose your virginity.

05th October, 2005

IPaidForThisName's avatar

Again, this was the staple of an era. It’s a tacky and sleazy fragrance. Even the original Polo is a couple tiers above Drakkar. This should have stayed in the 80’s.

22nd September, 2005