Reviews of Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Find out more about Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

wirral guy's avatar
    wirral guy

Hand on heart over the years i have spent quite a lot of money trying to find a mens fragrance-that women generally like the smell of.I have bought allsorts from lacoste homme,to minotaure(loads really.Yesterday i took delivery of one bottle of drakkar noir(i had read up on this fragrance supposed effects to intice a woman to compliment the wearer)Well this morning i put some of this drakkar noir on and went around my local town to do the days shop-went into the supermarket(or mall)-and the woman behind the counter said to me"i dont want to be rude but you smelly really gorgeous what do you have on"? I then told her what the scent i had on,she then said to me that she will get her husband some of what i had.The point i am making is that i have been a customer of that supermarket for years and in all the time i have worn my other more expensive fragrances never once has that girl complimented me on how great i smell..it just goes to show that drakkar noir works,women love the smell of it!!

14 October, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

So many make fun of it because it's an easy target -- mass marketed, popular with many across the spectrum, often abused/over-applied, etc.

But really, this fragrance is pretty darn good if applied in moderation. On me, it starts out soapy and almost medicinal, but it soons dries out to a warm and citrus-y scent that stays with me long throughout the day.

Kai hit the nail on the head in his review when he called this one "deservedly popular."

If some two-bit lounge lizard in Atlantic City washes his face with this stuff, or some used car salesman in Tupelo, well, that's his problem. Doesn't change the fact that -- truth be told -- this is a Laroche classic.

12 October, 2006

Lynn Faust's avatar
    Lynn Faust

this truly is a "classic" i received a sample in the mail with a cologne purchase. i sprayed a bit in the air and i could have sworn my good friend from high school was standing right behind me.

it is a very common cologne, but for good reason, and should not be overlooked. i wouldn't say it is a cologne you would want to wear frequently. the spices make it a good cool autum, early winter fragrance. it does linger into a spicey-clean smell.

08 October, 2006

Eluard's avatar
    Eluard

Ken Russell has said below “When I first got a bottle of it was so enthusiastic about it and almost instantly I felt much more sensual and attractive than ever before. But I also discovered another quality of Drakkar- for me it worked extremely well as an aid for concentration and intellectual work. Its heavy, smoky tones must have an almost spiritual, mystical aura.”

This immediately struck a chord in me because it expresses my feeling about another Pierre Wargnye creation, Baldarassini by Hugo Boss. I also get it from Contradiction (also by Wargnye). I wonder if this might not be a secret thread running through the perfumer’s work? He manages to create something quite spiritual in his work, something I get from no other cologne.

This might seem a bit of a stretch but the image that Wargnye’s work reminds me most of (and I’m thinking principally of Baldarassini here) is the art of 15th century painters like Fra Angelico. I’d be very interested to see Wargnye interviewed—I’m curious to know his own views on his work.

06 September, 2006

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar
    GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR

Aaah! Also, Mmmmmm!

Female feedback rating on this, %100.

06 August, 2006

d_silent_one's avatar
    d_silent_one

I absolutely love this cologne. I used to buy it to my ex-boyfriend all the time because I used to love it on him. Very manly.

05 August, 2006

Lincoln63542's avatar
    Lincoln63542

I must be the only one who does not like this fragrance at all... It reminds me the scent of old barber shops. An outdated fragrance I would be embarrased to wear or recommend. Too strong for me and sticks to the skin like a sealant.

25 May, 2006

deepthought's avatar
    deepthought

This is good a fragrance but it is a product of it's time. Can soften down a bit on my skin over time. Could consider using it instead of nicotine patches.............

23 May, 2006

nicolastutor's avatar
    nicolastutor

This is the only frag that has actually given me a stomach ache. I really wish they would discontinue it...

20th May, 2006

ikkitosennomusha's avatar
    ikkitosennomusha

I award a neutral thumb because I used to love and wear this back in the late 80s in junior high and it worked for me then. Now days, I find it ok as it brings fond memories but there are far better choices available on the market. Also, I cannot stand that cheap, plastic cap. I think they need to redesign the bottle at least.

18 May, 2006

NaturalBornThrilla's avatar
    NaturalBornThrilla
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

I rewally like this one seems to have an ability to be casual or formal its good for almost any occasion ..... from just relaxing around the house to being at the most formal Shirt and Tie affair. I will say this don't overdo er shes strong and long lasting!!!!

23 March, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

This scent is sooooo dry, whenever I smell it, I need a big glass of water!

13 March, 2006

zenpiper's avatar
    zenpiper

Someone gave me a bottle of this stuff for Christmas and I wore it to be polite. There is nothing particularly good or memorable about it, but it's not terrible either. Strikingly so-so.

10th March, 2006

taketacom's avatar
    taketacom

I wore this back in high school. I'd be embarrased to wear it now, but it does smell good. It's just embarrasing to wear a scent that was popular when you were in high school. Does anyone else feel this way? Sort of smells like 80's gigalo cologne. -- It does smell good, just embarrasing to wear! Needs to be stronger too. I like strong colognes!

25 January, 2006

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

Dark and lush like an unexplored exotic territory. I don't know why so many people don't like it, i suppose it's the too heavy tobacco note. Actually it's a quite good scent, it's ingredients being high quality and well combined.
    When i first got a bottle of it was so enthusiastic about it and almost instantly i felt much more sensual and attractive than ever before. But i also discovered another quality of Drakkar- for me it worked extremely well as an aid for oncentration and intellectual work. Its heavy, smoky tones must have an almost spiritual, mystical aura. Besides it's not only dark notes- as i smelled more carefully, i discovered a very
    subtle, cool and soothing touch of the finest lavender.
    Today i'm
    still aware of its true value, even if my tastes evolved significantly.

24 January, 2006

jjm_1965's avatar
    jjm_1965

From what I remember, this was a nice scent as long as it was used sparingly. Got good compliments from women. I wore it for years, but changed to Curve since it is milder.

21st January, 2006

Dave_D's avatar
    Dave_D

I like it, no complaints from women either. Not a fragrance I would base my collection on, but a nice inexpensive one that gets compliments (use it sparingly) Its shortcoming would probably be that its somewhat generic.

31st December, 2005

gator's avatar
    gator

Love this stuff! If you dont want to smell fruity or like a female, then this is the way to go! Only problem is it tends to have a hit of soap after a few hours

23 December, 2005

ilnaso's avatar
    ilnaso

Ah drakkar...nothing like capturing the essence of mullets, nascar, corndogs, and wal-mart in one ::ahem:: stylish bottle. Just discontinue it already

24 November, 2005

Dennard's avatar
    Dennard

This is a great fragrance. I love it for formal and office situations. One of the best aromatic/spicy colognes out there.

19 November, 2005

F_Frez's avatar
    F_Frez

A bit dated, like Azzaro or Quorum, but still a classic. Suitable for office use, but better for romantic moments.

14 November, 2005

foetidus

One can immediately tell that this is not a modern scent because the opening is rather uninspired. It is obviously intended for purchasers with a longer than nine second attention span. With many of the “classics” the opening is simply a holding pattern — sometimes attractive, sometimes not — while the newly liberated scent molecules marshal their forces to present their real job and purpose; and that purpose is the presentation of the middle and basenotes, which contain ninety-nine percent of the existence of the fragrance. Drakkar’s opening is a soapy and spongy aromatic / citrus. The citrus plays a very small role in the action, while the aromatics — albeit insecure, unorganized, and a bit unrefined — provide the main force of the initial volley. It’s a tolerable opening but it is far from stellar, and if it had to depend on the typical modern mass- market purchaser, it might be immediately eliminated from his list. The richer, fuller, refined heart is a balanced green / spice accord with emphasis on the coniferous notes of pine and juniper. This is a distinctly wearable accord. The heart notes are not really fresh as “fresh” is presented nowdays, but they are clean, full, and natural. With sensible application, they provide a restrained, dignified sillage that is legendarily attractive to the fairer gender. The base notes add leather, sandalwood, and oakmoss to the note lineup in a skillfully balanced and refined accord — I don’t get the patchouli that is supposed to be there because the leather overrides it to my nose. I often dislike leather in fragrances and the leather in Drakkar Noir is what has kept me from purchasing it in the past. I keep decant of Drakkar Noir and I sniff it once in a while in spite of my dislike of the leather note. I have found it an interesting fragrance in the past, but never intriguing. It is very strong and has to be applied with a good dose of restraint. Too strong and it is a turn-off. Excellent longevity. (Edit of 15 October 2005 review. Changed from a neutral.)

15 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

incedal's avatar
    incedal

*Update* I ws too quick the judge with my first post about Drakkar Noir, visited it again and I have to say I love it now, its soapy and spicy and it never fails to get compliments! specialy from the ladys:)

13 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 07 November, 2005)

Uzkalnis's avatar
    Uzkalnis

Today, it may seem simplistic and those who don't like 80s would not like Drakkar Noir either, but no-one should underestimate its influence in the structure of modern men's fragrance of late 20th century. And if imitation is the surest form of flattery, oh boy has THIS been flattered!

05 October, 2005

Joel_Cairo's avatar
    Joel_Cairo

Ah Drakkar. makes me remember my prom... but nostalgia only goes so far. it got plenty of compliments at the time, but it is very one dimensional. "sex-in-a-bottle" yes, "babe-magnet" fine, "classic" ok... but it doesnt go anywhere. recommended if you are 16 and seeking to loose your virginity.

05 October, 2005

IPaidForThisName's avatar
    IPaidForThisName

Again, this was the staple of an era. It’s a tacky and sleazy fragrance. Even the original Polo is a couple tiers above Drakkar. This should have stayed in the 80’s.

22 September, 2005

MonkeyManMatt's avatar
    MonkeyManMatt
    Sweden Sweden

Oakmoss has always been one of my least favoured notes along with vetiver, and Drakkar Noir truly reeks of spices and dry oakmoss. I find it bland, one-dimensional and overtly macho in a very negative way. This is outdated stuff that shouldn't be worn by anyone except maybe bearded bikers (and they probably aren't too keen on fragrance anyway...). Stuffy, inasanely strong and often ridiculously over -applied. YUCK!

05 September, 2005

dallasconundrum's avatar
    dallasconundrum

Drakkar is, of course, a classic. This scent has been popular for years. And, unlike a lot of its contemporaries, Drakkar has aged well. This fragrance can still compete with a lot of the newer scents and can surpass a lot of them. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is the best out there now, as I feel that there are certainly better ones, but this one won't leave you feeling like an old man or a "has been" (Polo) like some of the scents its age.

28 August, 2005

desimishu's avatar
    desimishu

I received many mixed reviews when i wear this...but quite honestly i didnt care about the negative ones...that because I LOVE THIS!!! Its the definition of a very masculine and sexy scent...Iss fresh at first and then the warm leathery/juniper drydown comes into play...EXCELLENT STUFF....My Girfriend's favorite amongst the many in my collection.

22 August, 2005

rapture2's avatar
    rapture2

I tried this at a JCPenny recently and I don't know how this stuff is still selling. Granted it is different from all the light airy mens colognes being release by designers today so for that I give this fragrance a plus but that still isnt enough to save it from a thumbs down. I sprayed one spray on my wrist to try it out and that was too much the cologne quickly became cloying and i had trouble washing it off. Very heavy cologne that desperately tries to suffocate the one wearing it.

09 August, 2005