Reviews of Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

A very bitter opening that goes woody, musky and spicy. It's not bad, but nothing special.
07th September, 2017
It's not too bad. A lot of fig in this one, if that's your thing. I don't find it to be too memorable for me personally, although I do see Dune fitting in nicely while walking along a beach or boardwalk in the summer. It has a coastal wear quality to it, but missing something; perhaps its subtlety was deliberate, I don’t know.

Plus, Deauville by Michel Germain, My Ocean by Club Med, Declaration L'Eau, et. al. seem to be better scents in the same vein as Dune that does a better job evoking that seaside experience. You decide. ;^>
17th March, 2017
I used and entire bottle of this I got as present long long time ago but never really enjoyed it fully :S
21st May, 2016

A bitter green acquatic woody.

This is decidedly, for my nose, generic to the nth degree. It smells like hundreds of other acquatic woodies on the market, thin, watery, without any character, with an underlying harshness that makes it very off-putting indeed.

I hated the original Dune. I don't like this flanker either. By the way neither has any relation to the other. The original Dune reminded me of "wet dog," the Dune Pour Homme reminds me of wet woods.

Pass the hair dryer, please.
21st January, 2016
Salutation.

A Salute to DIOR style,A Irresistible Experience for all Senses and one of my Father Favorie that I Adore it Too. DUNE is Modern,Summery,Floral, Original,Crisp,Exquisite, Refreshing Yet Classy.

It has a sparkling start with Cassis, Fig Leaf and Basil which Leads to a floral Heart.It finishes with a Great base notes by Vanilla,Sandalwood and Cedar.This Elixir is for a Gentleman who want an Unassuming but Elegant cologne for Day&Night Wearning.

DUNE is Fresh but without Citrus notes That often Characteristic of fresh compositions.Fantastic for SUNNY days and In my opinion is Suitable for All Occasions Especially INTIMATE. Perfect with a Dignified Character.

Sillage?Very Good.

Longevity?It is not So Remarkable on my skin Nonetheless DUNE is a Great Fragrance.

01st July, 2015
Dune pour Homme is for me among the most enigmatic and elusive mainstream fragrances ever made, for how it elaborates a generic “designer” theme in a fascinating way. It should be supposed to be a versatile, clean and “easy” exotic fig-green scent with a soapy-musky base, and it partially is so indeed; actually the smell itself is really simple, totally good and totally wearable. A gentle, graceful, mannered and slightly creamy fig-musk-green scent. But to me, and I admit this may be a totally personal perception, it has something else which makes it completely unique and, well, kind of creepy at the same time. That “creepy” feature is connected to its signature sort of warm, blurred and watery texture, which is due to the use of hedione and musk (ketones, I guess); it feels slightly humid, lactescent and “grey” too, and for some odd reasons it makes me think of some old, faded 8 mm homemade videotape shot in a cloudy, muggy August afternoon lost in the mid-1990s. The “analogic filter” role played by the film grain corresponds to hedione here, which is I think the key of Dune’s magic – a sort of fruity-watery-grey note which gives Dune this sort of damp, plastic, sultry feel.

This together with some more ordinary, decent-quality and undoubtedly “summery” nuances like green notes and fig leaves, produce a really fascinating “summer feel”, but where “summer” means “a summer of your childhood lost in your imagination”. Nothing crisp and realistic, on the contrary a blurry, cozy, faded souvenir. It’s like if the use of hedione and musk here gives the blend a sort of nostalgic and almost hallucinating feel which makes you plunge into your own memories. Grey, sort of humid and sweltering, at the same time “faded” and quiet. Out of all the dozens of similarly synthetic scents I’ve tried and owned, this is the only one which triggers that path of associations, showing how creatively one can make good use of synthetic aromachemicals (assuming there was an intention to be creative, otherwise I guess it’s just bare luck). Anyway, aside from all of that which is maybe just a subjective frenzy of mine, Dune pour Homme is surely a good, clean and cozy greenish-exotic all-rounder with a really respectable quality and a perfect balance of distinction and “safeness”. Nothing groundbreaking and a bit short-lived (as you can expect with these notes) but inexpensively solid.

7,5/10
02nd May, 2015
A must try if you are looking for fragrance which is suit very well in dry and hot climate. I noticed this Dior Dune while worked in Middle east desert and bought it when I back home. The fig note once make me little bit dizzy but it gone after few days later. A must have if you live in equatorial countries. Versatile, pleasant and unique smell.
04th December, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

By way of a disclaimer, perfume critic Tanya Sanchez’s description of Dune pour Homme as “A very good eau de cologne (sic) with a transparent, natural feeling in its leafy, lemon top note and a sweet, soapy floral drydown” bears no resemblance to the scent I’m reviewing. Is my sample mislabeled? I’m not sure, since Michael Edwards does list Dune pour Homme as a woody oriental in his taxonomy of fragrances. At any rate, here are my impressions:

Dune pour Homme’s first few minutes on my skin are an olfactory train wreck of raw alcohol, soap, powdery-sweet gourmand notes, citrus, calone, and brash, banal synthetic woods. It’s as if Dior decided to play every commonplace theme from the past twenty years of masculine perfumery at once in an effort to include everybody’s favorite. Thank heavens the raw alcohol subsides quickly, while the woody notes, soap and powder integrate. The resulting structure is an opaque, gourmand woody oriental lolling in a pool of artificial fruit punch and calone.

The idea here was apparently to juxtapose a sweet woody oriental in the manner of A*Men or Lolita Lempicka au Masculin with a fresh, sporty citrus aquatic. It turns out to have been a very bad idea. These two ubiquitous stereotypes of 1990s male fragrance are dreary enough on their own, but their combination amounts to even less than the paltry sum of its parts.

But wait; it gets worse! Though supposedly developed in rebellion against the bombastic “powerhouse” scents of the 1980s, the masculine aquatic and the woody oriental gourmands are both in fact extremely loud and tenacious olfactory constructs. Piling the two on top of one another is akin to booking Metallica and Mötley Crüe for the same stage. It’s one battle of the bands that I don’t want to hear. Enough to make me wish I were anosmic.

12th June, 2014
Dry, light, airy... perfect summer fragrance!

As others have mentioned, this is like being at the beach on a hot day. It shines in summer weather, bringing to mind blue skies and hot sand. I would expect this do to especially well in the summer, but would not go for it in cooler months as it is just too light to be noticed at any other time of the year.

Definitely a must if you want something unique and appealing, it is also completely accessible and inoffensive to others. So perfect for wearing around people who don't like the smell of perfume. It's that kind of scent as well.

A brilliant fragrance for hot weather. Well done Dior!
21st November, 2013
rbaker Show all reviews
Fig Galore

A nice orange top note with blackcurrant added merges into somewhat greener areas, mainly into basil. Heroine is present too. Overarching, however, is a strong fig note that dominates. Later in the drydown cedar and a good dose of vanilla add sweetness. Three hours of longevity. Solid but not very exciting.

23rd September, 2013
The english Patient

Imagine this scenery : Ralph Fiennes in the English Patient movie...Dessert, doubledecker planes and expeditions

Smelled and had a decant of 10 ml of Diors Dune again and after a decade of not wearing it truly still is a great scent.

Im very curious about the sales of this one because is never hear anybody about this fragrance anymore these days.

This scent feels a bit like being in a camel caravan trekking through the dessert feeling thirsty and dreaming of an oase.
Its a dry scent with a great vibe.Its all the way unique.

Pros: Romantic fresh
Cons:

25th August, 2013
I find many of Dior's fragrances odd in a very appealing way and Dune is no different. Centered around fig, it is something of a dry, airy scent with light floral notes that lend a fresh, morning-garden feel. There is also something that reminds me of the beach in Dune--some oceanic quality I can't exactly put my finger on. If Philosykos is the watery, green, quintessential fig fragrance, then Dune is its drier, woodier counterpart. Excellent during the summer months and really an altogether unique fragrance. I wouldn't recommend buying this blind--especially if you haven't smelled fig before. However, Dune is certainly worth trying, and you may find yourself pleasantly surprised by it.

25th February, 2013
A pleasing, summer time scent. However, you must like the fig note in order to appreciate this one. I llike fig so I find that scent to be very good. However, I can see where a person not too keen on fig, would not want to wear. The fig note is prominent. It feels like a drier scent to me but I can pull it off well during the heat. Doesn't project well on me and longevity is not that great. However, it does it job as a summer scent only. I would rate it as a try, if you are hip on fig. Otherwise, move on to something else.
08th July, 2012 (last edited: 18th July, 2012)

relying on the positive reviews of reliable reviewers on BaseNotes , i bought it blind..........and all gone to the drain........ except the top note which stays hardly for few minutes , nothing can be termed as pleasant.
I cant stand that FIG. Absolutely uncontrolled note of Fig which prevails till end and ruins the entire composition.

I did not expect it from you Dior.

Ahhh... Bad luck.
23rd June, 2012
Now and again a fragrance will display a bitter, synthetic note that makes me cringe like I was maced with hairspray. With Dune it happened again. After skimming the negative reviews of Dune on this site, my likely suspect is hedione. Other reviewers describe hedione as ozonic, bitter, clean, synthetic, etc, which is exactly what my sinuses can't seem to accept. Said ingredient is now on my blacklist.
ps. I recall Dune for women as being above average.
29th May, 2012
Marais Show all reviews
A pleasant light summery scent. Tangerine and fig are quite prominent in the opening and after a few hours it dries down to a sandalwood base, with the fig note just clinging on. I don't get the aquatic associations others mention. My only criticism is that it is a bit underpowered, a creature of its era I suppose. Nonetheless I like the smell (and as fig and tangerine are normally no-go zones for me that is saying something), it is sunny and youthful, but not sickeningly sweet, and you'll be the only one wearing it.
19th May, 2012
I purchased Dune pour homme blind after seeing 1 positive review on You Tube and before finding BaseNotes.com. It was unavailable at Sophora or Macy's. There is NOT a lot of information out there on this scent. This should have been my first clue that something was not right. I usually like Christian Dior and figured it couldn't be that bad.
The opening is very sweet and cheap smelling to me, and very feminine. It dries down very quickly to something that reminds me of the scent on Charmin toilet paper or Resolve carpet cleaner. I've tried it a few times as sometimes my nose adjusts over time and colognes become more pleasant. Not yet. This is the worst cologne I own and has forced me to stop buying blind!
22nd February, 2012 (last edited: 01st March, 2012)
Dune is a classy , clean , sophisticated scent... the fig just gives it a sexy exotic aura, women love it !
One of my top 10 fragrances.
22nd December, 2011

After having got a glance through the earlier reviews i just can add that i neither particularly abhor this juice nor appreciate its facets, we are under average anyway. This is in my opinion an unoffensive and probably unispired green fougere with a barely perceivable note of fig leaves, with some chemical fresh ozonic elements in the mix, some green whiff and an averagely synthetic woody dry down. I smell the powdery woods, a plain moss but do not the sweet gourmand temperament while i detect the fresh airy trail of new hedione (at the beginning too alcoholic and angular) together with the citrusy touch of mandarine and  an hint of that typical indolent, almost milky, sugary, powdery and anyway adible taste of fig (in this case blended with the green feel of its leaves). May be the influence of the figs  pushes up the illusion of powdery gourmand vibes. The note of hedione, that plagues the all whole development, imprints that aquatic feel that emerges clearly in a while after the first spray and lasts till the end. It would have been better balancing the powder with some natural herbs and aromatic greens rather than by hedione and synthetic woods but in that case we'd have heard a different story.
07th December, 2011
The hedione on my skin gives this a "fresh" (= unpleasantly synthetic and ozonic) quality which I don't appreciate. That note totally dominates, and I barely (if at all) get any fig leaf or wood notes. The hedione also gives a vaguely sweet aspect which I don't like. Where are the herbs or woods? This is not at all natural smelling and thus I can't find a single good thing to say about it.
27th July, 2011
Can we talk about fig? Yes, that sweet fruit that nobody really eats. With Dune PH, the perfumer surrounded a subtle fig with violet leaves and greenness. It's an EdC alright, but the bottle says EdT. Still, it smells great in the summer and is head-and-shoulders above all fig-dominant scents. Hard to find but worth it in the end. Uncharacteristically Dior but what can you do?
02nd July, 2011
Another fragrance in the line of Cool Water. (also similar to egoiste platinum)
This is a fresh floral fougere, good by the time it was released but nowadays you can find better things, and, of course, a lot of cheap imitations, deodorants, shower gels ...

"Old" fragrance lovers sure will love this stuff and will say this is a masterpiece .This is for all them .
26th May, 2011
Write about a fragrance that I think about the ever-changing was a bit hard but if I want to describe it I'd say not much is taken seriously but is worth it to be more attention.

Diptyque's Philosykos one year before this was made. When I compare the two I realize that I have similarities with both. Not only because both are figgy scent, because I inhaled them both enjoy and love them forever in my bag I have smelling them with energy and take charge again.

Dune could be used as unisex such as that for men is good for women too. A unique herbal and spicy smell somewhat sharp and in every season it can be used. Overall I would recommend it daily use and for use in ceremonies and special party choose a different perfume!

Dune is almost perfect and has many positive features but as I said before is deserve more attention has to be it. A special thanks to Monsieur Cresp and Christian Dior to create this effect!
15th February, 2011 (last edited: 16th February, 2011)
Dune Pour Homme is a wonderful fresh fig fragrance that evokes images of sitting by the sea with a clean white shirt on, for me. It smells very youthful and I find it quite accessible for a young person, or for anyone really. I guess you could call it a sleeper hit. But anyway, the longevity for a fragrance of this type is superb and overall if you need a "beach" fragrance, I'd look no further.
10th February, 2011
In advance I apologize for my poor english.

Dune Homme is one of my fav fragrances of all time. Is very pleasant to wear and I receive a lot of compliments from female friends every time they smell it on me. I absolutely love this one.

So I disagree with those who say this fragrance smell like shoe polish. I should interpretate those opinions just as a matter of personal taste or a cultural stereotype based on some products well known commercially in their respective homelands; at least in my country most people would find this fragrance pleasant to smell.

The only thing I dislike from this fragrance is its low longevity; I think that the original Dune have been recently reformulated by Dior compared to older versions, whose fragrance used to be more intense and durable.
12th January, 2011
A delightful soapy and floral. It is clean, fresh and at the same time sweet and warm. Its Oceanic and vegetables tonalities are presented on a vanilla base without comparison with another fragrance market.
Its enormous longevity and very good sillage are excellent data being a relatively fresh and daytime fragrance.
27th October, 2010
One of my favourite fragrances. Fresh, clean, happy, comfortable, elegant and not much massive!!!
12th October, 2010
Mr_B Show all reviews
I owned and wore this from late teens to mid-twenties and loved it. It's really citrusy and was great to wear in the summer. As I've got older it's just seemed too "young" for me so I've left it behind. Ho-hum, c'est la vie.
26th September, 2010
Very elegant fragrance that afforded me many moments of delight. I appreciate the aroma of fig. Fragrance with a sweet aroma that allows you to have good dreams.A pity not to have great length on my skin.
01st September, 2010
Great stuff. Works great in warm days and gives a fresh / sweet aura.
28th April, 2010