Reviews of Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Oviatt Show all reviews
A true classic that is sharp, clean freshness in a bottle. Like most classic eaux, the longevity is not good (which is why there is a concentree version) but there is enough subtle oakmoss and patchouli in the base notes to give this citrus delight some heft. Wonderful on warm days or simply when you want to feel fancy, fresh and French. Wonderful bath soap and shower gel.
02nd July, 2015
Salutation.

A Scent that Evokes memories of younger days.I was a Little Surprised to hear that it is a UNISEX i think Eau D'Orange is not Too Feminine,More Appropriate for a Modern Man With Classic Taste. Subtle,Delicate,Clean, Refind,Freshness,Pleasant,Soft,Green and Citrusy.

It is a Naturally classic scent with a Refreshing mix of The Citrusy notes (Definitely Orange) as Opening is So Lovely Without Loud.It reminds me a Gentle Spring Breeze.In Fact an Elevating fragrance that Energizes the body and revives the Spirit.

This is a great fragrance to wear Everyday.Ideal for SPRING and SUMMER seasons Especially on days when the Sun and the Sky blends in absolutely perfect together with weather and a Light Breeze.I Recommend it for a Cheerful Character.

Sillage?Decent.

Longevity?I wish it had a better Longevity on my skin.

24th May, 2015
The most realistic-smelling citrus cologne I've tried...

Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte is without a doubt the best smelling (and most realistic) of all the so-called "Eau de Cologne" compositions I've tried. Of course we all know about the famous "4711", and how it smells like... but this one is like a 4711 made for rich people! I get such a realistic impression of an orange tree from this... it (literally) smells like standing under a green orange tree! Yes it's an Eau de Cologne (so don't expect it to have any kind of base), which means you will have to reapply usually once every hour (sometimes twice)... but what a smell! Green, realistic, authentic citrus... in my opinion this is unbeatable! There is a reason why this is often sold at expensive hotels!

Try this on a hot summer day... you'll see how good this really is. In my opinion, this fragrance is for summer only, and one which needs to be applied throughout the day. But... without a doubt, in my opinion this is probably the best in the "Eau de Cologne" category... and such an authentic, realistic type of experience could only come from Hermès.
07th November, 2014

This I think is a very likeable scent. I find it to be musky in a traditional Drakkar Noir kind of way. The citrus is present and strong, but it is not a sweet citrus. More of a tart and not yet ripe citrus. It does however not last very long. Sprayed on in the morning it will be barely noticeable on my skin in the late afternoon. I find this scent to be not very complex. I do not find that it evolves into a different scent throughout the day, in fact it seemed almost the same from spray to dissipation.
The Good: Lovely musky smell, an interesting take on green orange.
The Bad: Gone in a few hours, not many different elements to the scent.
Overall: Smells good, but lacks some qualities that I value in a fragrance.
10th April, 2014
Great orange scent that smells wonderful, but is gone in minutes.
If it lasted more it would be a compelling thumbs up, but its longevity ruins what could have been one of the great scents in the market.
18th January, 2014
great green and citus, poor longevity

The more I wear this, the more I appreciate it's strong emphasis on mossy earthiness. The initial orange peel blast slowly fades into a more complex interplay; almost like an orange in a garden that has just fallen. It is a lovely, natural fragrance that is a joy to wear. As many others have noted, the main issue is the longevity, which is poor. Given its deep green quality and mossy notes; this actually works on cloudy, cool days very well. Of course, perfect for the heat as well.

19th July, 2013
I like it. I didn't at first, in fact I was dismayed by how green it is this being a blind purchase for me. However, I initially only gave it a few cautious spritzes. It sat on a shelf for a while until I decided to give it another go with big blasts and spreading it in key areas. The result was a completely different experience, the citrus shone through and complimented the green. I strongly suspect that this is the reason they developed the Concentre D'orange Vert. I recommend that you consider both options in choosing your preference.
03rd May, 2013
Here's my issues: It's orange, and that's it. It's too orange, almost like orange cleaner. Moreover, the smell does not last on my skin more than 20 minutes.
19th April, 2013
A blast of bitter oranges with lemon you get off the top with a spicy freshness.

It's a little bit sweet and quickly becomes drier where you are left with a slight mossy powdery orange on your skin.

On my skin it takes twenty minutes from the fresh opening to the basenotes where it is barely detectable.

It's nice while it lasts but the very poor longevity and projection are just not worth your money or time.
09th February, 2013
Orange Peel scent done nicely. A little soapy,but executed very well. Slightly sweet. This has that out of the shower smell. It can also be considered unisex. Definetly one to try out.
09th November, 2012
Gorgeous opening but quickly fades to a musty drydown that remembers a little bit of body odour. This aint worth it. There are much better options of fresh scents. Longevity is around one hour.
30th October, 2012
This review has been a long time coming. I originally bought and gave up on the Concentree because it was too flowery and weak. I later bought a mini shower gel, bubble bath, shampoo, and conditioner of EdOV, and enjoy the scent (except the shower gel which seems to have gone rancid!) but the products don't even work well. So now, back to the original cologne. As is so often the case with citrus, the true accomplishment is in the initial blast that greets you. Here, the citrus is bitter, sharp and green, like the moist grassiness of Eau de Campagne or Eau de Gentiane Blanche. Plus a very natural smelling lime. And I say it that way because sometimes I think the citrus is secretly just secondary to the wet grass. After as little as a minute, it's already shifting toward "Stuffy English Barber's West Indian Limes", still not sweet at all, with a reedy, bambooey aspect that makes me think of the newest version of Eau Sauvage. The wet grass is gone, leaving only a slight tinge. The refreshing citrus is gone. So what I'm left with in my assessment is an EdC that features a layer of Campagne or Gentiane on top of an Old Gentleman's Lime (not that I dislike those) but stuck with an OGL's terrible sub-EdC-range longevity. I can only give it a thumbs down because not only is there nothing left to smell after 5 minutes, but I've suffered a long and arduous ordeal trying to find a version of the scent, or its bath products, that really last and/or work, and none of it has really panned out. I'm sorry that my anger has led me to do this, but hell hath no fury like a consumer scorned.
07th October, 2012
fresh and clean, good for extreme heat!
29th August, 2012

This fragrance is very simple. It's purely orange. The smell of orange is so dominant that it overpowers everything else. It's strong and if you wear this, you will smell exactly like an orange peel. Of course, the ingredients are quality, but who wants to smell like an orange peel?

If you love the smell of orange and want a fragrance that is based on only one ingredient, sample this one out. Otherwise, pass.
12th July, 2012
This is a wonderful cologne.
I agree with the reviewer who stated this is very similar to Eau Sauvage.
I find little difference between the two.
The Concentre version is completely different to my nose and I find the Concentre fits more into the Unisex marketing while the Cologne is more masculine.
05th June, 2012

I'm looking for something for summer, but unfortunately I could not find anything to get excited about when it comes to this apparenly-classic juice. It's innocuous enough, but I prefer something with a little more character.

For some reason it gives me the vibe of something an older person might wear.

And I'm already d*mned old enough as it is.
06th May, 2012
Very distinct, almost artificial, orange right off the top. Super bright. Similar to some orange cleaning products but in a pleasant way - but it definitely reminds me of those Orange Essence cleaning products you see at Whole Foods in the top notes.

As it dries down (maybe 15-20 minutes) it loses a lot of that top citrus and green notes shine. I don't get papaya and mango as much. More like the leaves of the mango tree but, honestly, it might be that the mid and base notes blend so quickly that I'm getting the oakmoss mixed with the tropical fruits that result in that quality to me.

Imagine walking past someone testing orange cleaner in a grocery store. Then, after a bit, walking to the produce aisle and hanging out between the leafy greens and the tropical fruits. Then leaving the store shortly after.

Sillage is poor. Longevity is poor (it's an EDC). Opening scent and drydown are both really quality and the transition from citrus to green is quite pleasant, to me. I give this a neutral due to the somewhat synthetic opening citrus and poor longevity. I own a bottle and never really reach for it as it's so fleeting. A small atomizer (5ml or so) in your pocket would help with this and it's not super expensive. I paid $50/3.4 oz.

If you want a pick-me-up during the spring/summer this will do it for you. There are better scents, though.
01st May, 2012
drseid Show all reviews
Eau d'Orange Verte is a highly addictive refreshing mix of natural bitter orange juice and herbal greens... just as the name indicates -- nothing more, nothing less. It is super-simplistic in its composition, but when something smells this good I can't find any fault in that. Longevity and projection are both regrettably poor.

This is a superb classic release from the house of Hermes that is perfect as a splash-on cologne, as I think it is near impossible to over-apply and it is so invigorating in the morning on a hot summer day. I think I slightly prefer Hermes' later release, Concentre d'Orange Verte (which is a bit less herbal while adding a menthol undertone, with a little better longevity), but it is almost a tossup. Eau d'Orange Verte earns an excellent 4 stars out of 5 and is easily full bottle and blind buy worthy, IMO.
29th April, 2012 (last edited: 19th December, 2012)
My new signature fragrance. Very versatile, light and devoid of offensive/cloying sweetness, I find I can wear this to work (some people at my job, are VERY scent sensitive) and almost anywear at any time. I don't get the "POW" of citrus that many people describe (even in the name), but this comes across altogether more green and grassy initially, and then mellows to a nice clean, citrussy, but interesting scent. It is not as soap-y as my previous signature, Thierry Mugler Cologne (which is great, but I find more appropiate for days and informal/sports wear), and I find it to be more natural and less sweet. Very distict but inoffensive, although projection and longevity are on the short side. This one is more for me anyway...
29th February, 2012
Blind bought a 1 oz bottle (in plastic?). Don't like it. Very boring. Drydown was boring soap scent.

Was pretty cheap, but I'll never wear this stuff. Ever. Should have just bought a few samples.
18th February, 2012
I am tempted to give this the thumbs down just to redress the balance of so many positive comments.
Very distinctive fragrance, very short lived indeed. Not sure if it is quite how i would like to smell even if it had more staying power. I think the EDT is a better purchase.
Another slight disapointment for me from Hermes
19th October, 2011
Opening—orange, lemony lime, and an acrid note reminiscent of cat urine. Now that’s off-putting!

Within five minutes, the scent falls back sharply and only a faint whiff of oakmoss and orange remains, and that’s it. Sadly, I do not know if the sample I tried was an edc or an edt. If it were an edt, that lack of longevity would be criminal.

I then decided to go back and drown my arm in the scent as if it were an edc. Cat urine accord seemed more unified with the other components of the frag. Still, same thing occurred—within a few minutes the scent mostly vanished, though not quite as much now that I had doused myself. What I then had was a 3-hour-plus somewhat transparent veil of oakmossy orange that might please someone, perhaps an orange lover deeply afraid of sillage.
06th September, 2011
When I first tried this I thought, "Awesome"!, now........so-so, a shrug of the shoulders........you get the idea.

At first sniff it is bright and citrusy but I think the reason this is Hermes' more budget friendly scents starts to come throught; there is a detergent like aroma there, if you step back and think about it, it seems like the synthetic side of those citrus notes.

This really came to light when I took my Guerlain Imperiale Extra Dry out for a full day test run. I'd had this gem set aside for more warm beautiful day/evening outings.

GEEE!! Guerlain puts Hermes' Vert D'Orange to shame. This Hermes is great, until you come across something pricier like Guerlain's products.

For now though if you don't interpret Vert's zest/citrus notes as detergent-like as I did then you may just love this baby. I'll still wear it but I'll do it with a shrug of the shoulders.
27th August, 2011
I love citrus notes, and so expected to love this one, but it definitely gave me the impression of a shaving cream scent...
25th July, 2011
Swanky Show all reviews
Eau d'Orange Verte is indeed a natural smelling citrus cologne, with the strengths and weaknesses of its genre. It is pleasant and truly genderless. Longevity is not impressive. On a warm day I get about 5 hours of close to the vest aroma. Surprisingly, this version is better in the longevity sweepstakes then its Concentree counterpart.
08th July, 2011

This is a notorious fragrance that is a cologne in execution with its natural smell, its watery temperament, the abundant usage of citrus, its touch of vintage but timeless quality and exoticism. This cologne exudes the smell of a large forest of citrus very green and deep whose you inhale the fruity-green smell while drinking a tropical cocktail, watching from the high level of a farm house the work of agrarians engaged in picking up oranges, mandarins and lemons. It's like to rub your hands with leaves of citrus (orange basically) and inhaling deeply
the odour. There is a clear mentholated-icy element that impresses a certain dosage of energy to the initial citrus-exotic fruity accord. The minty and citrusy freshness goes blending with the tropical taste of papaya ( harder to perceive mango) issueing a marvellous invigorating juice. Some green elements enhance the botanic temperament of this complex potion till the final touch of woodsy oakmoss and the fundamental bold hint of dry patchouli. I agree who with writes that the faint longevity is proper of a cologne and due to its role (there is a Concentre' version that smells as an eau de toilette). This is a fragrance of great quality and genius that is perfect for any occasion, projecting the image of a charismatic, lively and globe-trotter character.
01st July, 2011
This really does smell like fresh orange zest, one of my favorite natural scents. It's older, but I'd say it's too universal and indistinct to call it dated. It's simply a classic. This is as citrus orange as it gets. I hear lots of frags touting their citrus opening, but this stuff can legitimately make that claim. I've also sampled this fragrance's sister, Eau de Guerlain, and must say that this is sharper, more crisp, green, and not so 'household' smelling.

I'd advise you not to blind buy this fragrance because the lack of strength will disappoint some people, and I can see that other reviewers are noticing the same problem. I'm finding myself smelling my shirt all over to find just where I sprayed it. Wear this one only if you'll be close to someone and apply liberally if you want the fresh orange effect, but bring a little decant to reapply. If it wasn't such a damn good, no nonsense, refreshing fragrance I'd give it a thumbs down for it's poor longevity. Thumbs up though.
11th April, 2011
cja75 Show all reviews
This might be the best smelling frag ever. (IMO) Its stays very close to your skin and is not "loud" like many younger folks like. To me it is masculine, not BRAWNY masculine but smells like a clean fairly sophisticated man would smell. It is subtle and not trendy, so people will notice it because its different not because it is boring a hole through their nose. I have gotten compliments with this which is surprising seeing as people complain that its weak. Others can smell it on you longer than you can.
I guess it is sold as unisex, and like i said I thinks its masculine but it wouldn't be crazy for a woman to wear. To me this doesn't smell like you are wearing a cologne or perfume it smells like you work with or were eating something orange. Thats why it stands out people think "whats that smell" but not "whats that cologne" very natural and so fresh. I love it and I have never met anyone else who doesnt think it smells great
23rd March, 2011
Yeah, as others have stated, truly a well executed citrus fragrance. however, no matter what, I expect my scents to last longer than the 60 minutes I get from this max.
24th February, 2011
Peel an orange and toss away the fruit portion. Take the rind, rip it in half, and sniff the inner, bitter center. Now take that smell, extract it, and multiply it in intensity. That's the opening of Eau d'Orange Verte.

This is an extremely natural smelling fragrance to my nose. I would guess that high quality ingredients went into making this.

As others have mentioned, this fragrance has horrible longevity. A single spray on my (dry) skin may only last 30 ~ 45 minutes before completely fading away into oblivion. I do acknowledge that this is EDC concentration, however, so I still give it a Thumbs Up. It's meant to be applied liberally.

PERFECT for hot summer weather!
31st January, 2011 (last edited: 01st February, 2011)