Reviews of Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

The original Eau de Cologne formulation was:

a good dry orange and verbena cologne with a hint of brown leather.

Long lasting and quality materials but a trifle old fashioned.

****
10th August, 2016
A Very natural orange scent to begin with.. Almost like slicing up a fresh orange out the fridge and then after 20 mins a bit of mango and floral.. Doesn't last long but it is a cologne of the true sense so what do we expect... Best to take some with you in a tester vial on a hot summer night and reapply a couple of times. I own a mountain of citrus colognes and this is of the better interpretations because it smells so natural. Almost identical to Molton browns orange and bergamot.
08th June, 2016
this is a nice take on a classic citrus cologne motif...initial blast of citrus is fierce and juicy...smells mostly orangey to me...the refreshing feel and overall scent vibe I get reminds me of being a kid and sneaking my dads 4711 and splashing myself with a good handfull...alas , like a lot of fragrances of this type it has a very short life...when I wear this I reapply frequently to get that initial rush...dries down to a soft cozy mossy/earthy skin scent...great smell, but neutral on it due to weak projection and longevity...
Refreshing Citrus
22nd May, 2016

I've always liked cologne, but have just started to really learn about it, which is to say that this is strictly an amateur review, no descriptions of the particular smell yet--maybe as I continue to learn. I picked up a sample of this because I enjoy the smell of citrus and this seemed a likely candidate. And I do enjoy the scent. However, it just does not last more than an hour so I cant see buying a full bottle.
19th May, 2016
Lovely cologne this one. If you like Hugo Boss's orange, you'll like this one better - or at least you ought to.
The initial orange is a superb recreation, far different than the citrus top notes of many other perfumes. Strange that the notes list lemon and mandarin, but no actual orange. It took me several wearings before I could make out the mango, but like one of those magic eye 3D images, once you've got it, it reveals itself to you effortlessly. Soft and peachy.
It's woody and earthy too when it develops. Luckily the middle and top notes never really disappear, they politely make way for the oakmoss and patchouli, but you keep bumping into them.

All this winds down into a lovely, soft, powdery finale. Chic and refined.
17th March, 2016
This is the scent that carried me through some troubled times. Orange and Patchouli and Oakmoss. Sublime. I had the soaps,lotion and stick too, luxurious Hermes bliss.
It has changed slightly from the cologne of the old days, Oakmoss and such, however remains a treat that soothes.
12th January, 2016
One of the best eau de colognes on the market today. This was originally labelled Eau de Hermes. The Orange Verte name is of course more descriptive.

I get more the sense of lemon verbena than lemon fruit in the opening, accompanying the bright orange. The bright mint note makes it truly refreshing and buoyant.

When the oakmoss and patchouli enter, they provide a dry, warm base for the fading lemon/orange. The elements are blended so perfectly and evenly, there is no heavy-handedness whatsoever.

A Mediterranean orange/lemon tree grove as the sun evaporates the dewy leaves at dawn. Heavenly.
29th December, 2015
Oviatt Show all reviews
A true classic that is sharp, clean freshness in a bottle. Like most classic eaux, the longevity is not good (which is why there is a concentree version) but there is enough subtle oakmoss and patchouli in the base notes to give this citrus delight some heft. Wonderful on warm days or simply when you want to feel fancy, fresh and French. Wonderful bath soap and shower gel.
02nd July, 2015
Salutation.

A Scent that Evokes memories of younger days.I was a Little Surprised to hear that it is a UNISEX i think Eau D'Orange is not Too Feminine,More Appropriate for a Modern Man With Classic Taste. Subtle,Delicate,Clean, Refind,Freshness,Pleasant,Soft,Green and Citrusy.

It is a Naturally classic scent with a Refreshing mix of The Citrusy notes (Definitely Orange) as Opening is So Lovely Without Loud.It reminds me a Gentle Spring Breeze.In Fact an Elevating fragrance that Energizes the body and revives the Spirit.

This is a great fragrance to wear Everyday.Ideal for SPRING and SUMMER seasons Especially on days when the Sun and the Sky blends in absolutely perfect together with weather and a Light Breeze.I Recommend it for a Cheerful Character.

Sillage?Decent.

Longevity?I wish it had a better Longevity on my skin.

24th May, 2015
The most realistic-smelling citrus cologne I've tried...

Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte is without a doubt the best smelling (and most realistic) of all the so-called "Eau de Cologne" compositions I've tried. Of course we all know about the famous "4711", and how it smells like... but this one is like a 4711 made for rich people! I get such a realistic impression of an orange tree from this... it (literally) smells like standing under a green orange tree! Yes it's an Eau de Cologne (so don't expect it to have any kind of base), which means you will have to reapply usually once every hour (sometimes twice)... but what a smell! Green, realistic, authentic citrus... in my opinion this is unbeatable! There is a reason why this is often sold at expensive hotels!

Try this on a hot summer day... you'll see how good this really is. In my opinion, this fragrance is for summer only, and one which needs to be applied throughout the day. But... without a doubt, in my opinion this is probably the best in the "Eau de Cologne" category... and such an authentic, realistic type of experience could only come from Hermès.
07th November, 2014
This I think is a very likeable scent. I find it to be musky in a traditional Drakkar Noir kind of way. The citrus is present and strong, but it is not a sweet citrus. More of a tart and not yet ripe citrus. It does however not last very long. Sprayed on in the morning it will be barely noticeable on my skin in the late afternoon. I find this scent to be not very complex. I do not find that it evolves into a different scent throughout the day, in fact it seemed almost the same from spray to dissipation.
The Good: Lovely musky smell, an interesting take on green orange.
The Bad: Gone in a few hours, not many different elements to the scent.
Overall: Smells good, but lacks some qualities that I value in a fragrance.
10th April, 2014
Great orange scent that smells wonderful, but is gone in minutes.
If it lasted more it would be a compelling thumbs up, but its longevity ruins what could have been one of the great scents in the market.
18th January, 2014
great green and citus, poor longevity

The more I wear this, the more I appreciate it's strong emphasis on mossy earthiness. The initial orange peel blast slowly fades into a more complex interplay; almost like an orange in a garden that has just fallen. It is a lovely, natural fragrance that is a joy to wear. As many others have noted, the main issue is the longevity, which is poor. Given its deep green quality and mossy notes; this actually works on cloudy, cool days very well. Of course, perfect for the heat as well.

19th July, 2013

I like it. I didn't at first, in fact I was dismayed by how green it is this being a blind purchase for me. However, I initially only gave it a few cautious spritzes. It sat on a shelf for a while until I decided to give it another go with big blasts and spreading it in key areas. The result was a completely different experience, the citrus shone through and complimented the green. I strongly suspect that this is the reason they developed the Concentre D'orange Vert. I recommend that you consider both options in choosing your preference.
03rd May, 2013
Here's my issues: It's orange, and that's it. It's too orange, almost like orange cleaner. Moreover, the smell does not last on my skin more than 20 minutes.
19th April, 2013
A blast of bitter oranges with lemon you get off the top with a spicy freshness.

It's a little bit sweet and quickly becomes drier where you are left with a slight mossy powdery orange on your skin.

On my skin it takes twenty minutes from the fresh opening to the basenotes where it is barely detectable.

It's nice while it lasts but the very poor longevity and projection are just not worth your money or time.
09th February, 2013
Orange Peel scent done nicely. A little soapy,but executed very well. Slightly sweet. This has that out of the shower smell. It can also be considered unisex. Definetly one to try out.
09th November, 2012
Gorgeous opening but quickly fades to a musty drydown that remembers a little bit of body odour. This aint worth it. There are much better options of fresh scents. Longevity is around one hour.
30th October, 2012
This review has been a long time coming. I originally bought and gave up on the Concentree because it was too flowery and weak. I later bought a mini shower gel, bubble bath, shampoo, and conditioner of EdOV, and enjoy the scent (except the shower gel which seems to have gone rancid!) but the products don't even work well. So now, back to the original cologne. As is so often the case with citrus, the true accomplishment is in the initial blast that greets you. Here, the citrus is bitter, sharp and green, like the moist grassiness of Eau de Campagne or Eau de Gentiane Blanche. Plus a very natural smelling lime. And I say it that way because sometimes I think the citrus is secretly just secondary to the wet grass. After as little as a minute, it's already shifting toward "Stuffy English Barber's West Indian Limes", still not sweet at all, with a reedy, bambooey aspect that makes me think of the newest version of Eau Sauvage. The wet grass is gone, leaving only a slight tinge. The refreshing citrus is gone. So what I'm left with in my assessment is an EdC that features a layer of Campagne or Gentiane on top of an Old Gentleman's Lime (not that I dislike those) but stuck with an OGL's terrible sub-EdC-range longevity. I can only give it a thumbs down because not only is there nothing left to smell after 5 minutes, but I've suffered a long and arduous ordeal trying to find a version of the scent, or its bath products, that really last and/or work, and none of it has really panned out. I'm sorry that my anger has led me to do this, but hell hath no fury like a consumer scorned.
07th October, 2012
fresh and clean, good for extreme heat!
29th August, 2012
This fragrance is very simple. It's purely orange. The smell of orange is so dominant that it overpowers everything else. It's strong and if you wear this, you will smell exactly like an orange peel. Of course, the ingredients are quality, but who wants to smell like an orange peel?

If you love the smell of orange and want a fragrance that is based on only one ingredient, sample this one out. Otherwise, pass.
12th July, 2012
This is a wonderful cologne.
I agree with the reviewer who stated this is very similar to Eau Sauvage.
I find little difference between the two.
The Concentre version is completely different to my nose and I find the Concentre fits more into the Unisex marketing while the Cologne is more masculine.
05th June, 2012

I'm looking for something for summer, but unfortunately I could not find anything to get excited about when it comes to this apparenly-classic juice. It's innocuous enough, but I prefer something with a little more character.

For some reason it gives me the vibe of something an older person might wear.

And I'm already d*mned old enough as it is.
06th May, 2012
Very distinct, almost artificial, orange right off the top. Super bright. Similar to some orange cleaning products but in a pleasant way - but it definitely reminds me of those Orange Essence cleaning products you see at Whole Foods in the top notes.

As it dries down (maybe 15-20 minutes) it loses a lot of that top citrus and green notes shine. I don't get papaya and mango as much. More like the leaves of the mango tree but, honestly, it might be that the mid and base notes blend so quickly that I'm getting the oakmoss mixed with the tropical fruits that result in that quality to me.

Imagine walking past someone testing orange cleaner in a grocery store. Then, after a bit, walking to the produce aisle and hanging out between the leafy greens and the tropical fruits. Then leaving the store shortly after.

Sillage is poor. Longevity is poor (it's an EDC). Opening scent and drydown are both really quality and the transition from citrus to green is quite pleasant, to me. I give this a neutral due to the somewhat synthetic opening citrus and poor longevity. I own a bottle and never really reach for it as it's so fleeting. A small atomizer (5ml or so) in your pocket would help with this and it's not super expensive. I paid $50/3.4 oz.

If you want a pick-me-up during the spring/summer this will do it for you. There are better scents, though.
01st May, 2012
drseid Show all reviews
Eau d'Orange Verte is a highly addictive refreshing mix of natural bitter orange juice and herbal greens... just as the name indicates -- nothing more, nothing less. It is super-simplistic in its composition, but when something smells this good I can't find any fault in that. Longevity and projection are both regrettably poor.

This is a superb classic release from the house of Hermes that is perfect as a splash-on cologne, as I think it is near impossible to over-apply and it is so invigorating in the morning on a hot summer day. I think I slightly prefer Hermes' later release, Concentre d'Orange Verte (which is a bit less herbal while adding a menthol undertone, with a little better longevity), but it is almost a tossup. Eau d'Orange Verte earns an excellent 4 stars out of 5 and is easily full bottle and blind buy worthy, IMO.
29th April, 2012 (last edited: 19th December, 2012)
My new signature fragrance. Very versatile, light and devoid of offensive/cloying sweetness, I find I can wear this to work (some people at my job, are VERY scent sensitive) and almost anywear at any time. I don't get the "POW" of citrus that many people describe (even in the name), but this comes across altogether more green and grassy initially, and then mellows to a nice clean, citrussy, but interesting scent. It is not as soap-y as my previous signature, Thierry Mugler Cologne (which is great, but I find more appropiate for days and informal/sports wear), and I find it to be more natural and less sweet. Very distict but inoffensive, although projection and longevity are on the short side. This one is more for me anyway...
29th February, 2012
Blind bought a 1 oz bottle (in plastic?). Don't like it. Very boring. Drydown was boring soap scent.

Was pretty cheap, but I'll never wear this stuff. Ever. Should have just bought a few samples.
18th February, 2012
I am tempted to give this the thumbs down just to redress the balance of so many positive comments.
Very distinctive fragrance, very short lived indeed. Not sure if it is quite how i would like to smell even if it had more staying power. I think the EDT is a better purchase.
Another slight disapointment for me from Hermes
19th October, 2011
Opening—orange, lemony lime, and an acrid note reminiscent of cat urine. Now that’s off-putting!

Within five minutes, the scent falls back sharply and only a faint whiff of oakmoss and orange remains, and that’s it. Sadly, I do not know if the sample I tried was an edc or an edt. If it were an edt, that lack of longevity would be criminal.

I then decided to go back and drown my arm in the scent as if it were an edc. Cat urine accord seemed more unified with the other components of the frag. Still, same thing occurred—within a few minutes the scent mostly vanished, though not quite as much now that I had doused myself. What I then had was a 3-hour-plus somewhat transparent veil of oakmossy orange that might please someone, perhaps an orange lover deeply afraid of sillage.
06th September, 2011
When I first tried this I thought, "Awesome"!, now........so-so, a shrug of the shoulders........you get the idea.

At first sniff it is bright and citrusy but I think the reason this is Hermes' more budget friendly scents starts to come throught; there is a detergent like aroma there, if you step back and think about it, it seems like the synthetic side of those citrus notes.

This really came to light when I took my Guerlain Imperiale Extra Dry out for a full day test run. I'd had this gem set aside for more warm beautiful day/evening outings.

GEEE!! Guerlain puts Hermes' Vert D'Orange to shame. This Hermes is great, until you come across something pricier like Guerlain's products.

For now though if you don't interpret Vert's zest/citrus notes as detergent-like as I did then you may just love this baby. I'll still wear it but I'll do it with a shrug of the shoulders.
27th August, 2011