Negative Reviews of Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Find out more about Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

noideawhatimsaying's avatar
    noideawhatimsaying

Here's my issues: It's orange, and that's it. It's too orange, almost like orange cleaner. Moreover, the smell does not last on my skin more than 20 minutes.

19 April, 2013

's avatar

Gorgeous opening but quickly fades to a musty drydown that remembers a little bit of body odour. This aint worth it. There are much better options of fresh scents. Longevity is around one hour.

30th October, 2012

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

This review has been a long time coming. I originally bought and gave up on the Concentree because it was too flowery and weak. I later bought a mini shower gel, bubble bath, shampoo, and conditioner of EdOV, and enjoy the scent (except the shower gel which seems to have gone rancid!) but the products don't even work well. So now, back to the original cologne. As is so often the case with citrus, the true accomplishment is in the initial blast that greets you. Here, the citrus is bitter, sharp and green, like the moist grassiness of Eau de Campagne or Eau de Gentiane Blanche. Plus a very natural smelling lime. And I say it that way because sometimes I think the citrus is secretly just secondary to the wet grass. After as little as a minute, it's already shifting toward "Stuffy English Barber's West Indian Limes", still not sweet at all, with a reedy, bambooey aspect that makes me think of the newest version of Eau Sauvage. The wet grass is gone, leaving only a slight tinge. The refreshing citrus is gone. So what I'm left with in my assessment is an EdC that features a layer of Campagne or Gentiane on top of an Old Gentleman's Lime (not that I dislike those) but stuck with an OGL's terrible sub-EdC-range longevity. I can only give it a thumbs down because not only is there nothing left to smell after 5 minutes, but I've suffered a long and arduous ordeal trying to find a version of the scent, or its bath products, that really last and/or work, and none of it has really panned out. I'm sorry that my anger has led me to do this, but hell hath no fury like a consumer scorned.

07 October, 2012

Birdboy48's avatar
    Birdboy48

I'm looking for something for summer, but unfortunately I could not find anything to get excited about when it comes to this apparenly-classic juice. It's innocuous enough, but I prefer something with a little more character.

For some reason it gives me the vibe of something an older person might wear.

And I'm already d*mned old enough as it is.

06 May, 2012

different-scents's avatar
    different-scents

Blind bought a 1 oz bottle (in plastic?). Don't like it. Very boring. Drydown was boring soap scent.

Was pretty cheap, but I'll never wear this stuff. Ever. Should have just bought a few samples.

18 February, 2012

martinijo's avatar
    martinijo
    England England

I am tempted to give this the thumbs down just to redress the balance of so many positive comments.
    Very distinctive fragrance, very short lived indeed. Not sure if it is quite how i would like to smell even if it had more staying power. I think the EDT is a better purchase.
    Another slight disapointment for me from Hermes

19 October, 2011

Chicagoista's avatar
    Chicagoista

Opening—orange, lemony lime, and an acrid note reminiscent of cat urine. Now that’s off-putting!

Within five minutes, the scent falls back sharply and only a faint whiff of oakmoss and orange remains, and that’s it. Sadly, I do not know if the sample I tried was an edc or an edt. If it were an edt, that lack of longevity would be criminal.

I then decided to go back and drown my arm in the scent as if it were an edc. Cat urine accord seemed more unified with the other components of the frag. Still, same thing occurred—within a few minutes the scent mostly vanished, though not quite as much now that I had doused myself. What I then had was a 3-hour-plus somewhat transparent veil of oakmossy orange that might please someone, perhaps an orange lover deeply afraid of sillage.

06 September, 2011

philmcphe's avatar
    philmcphe

Smells like cleaner, and the longevity is horrible. Only way I'm gonna be enjoying the rest of this sample is as a bathroom spray,

12 June, 2010

m.francisco's avatar
    m.francisco

I guess I'm in the minority here. Upon first smell I got a decent orangey citrus. This quickly quickly faded down into what some would say mossy. I would call it gross. During the first hour of the 'mossy' stage, both the person I was driving with and I agreed that there was a certain... fecal note. This may be a little severe, and maybe the juice was bad (I received it as a sample from Hermes), but this was definitely not something I would ever buy. Maybe I'll use up the sample when I'm not around people to see if I like it more.

11th June, 2010

hibiscus's avatar
    hibiscus

It smells rather like a urinal on my skin with an orange peel rubbed on top and I waited and waited for something more to happen....

26 October, 2008

TDDanae's avatar
    TDDanae

I don't know why this smells like salt on me. Eau De Merveilles did the same thing. I could not smell anything on my skin but salt. I asked my husband to smell my wrists and he said: "it smells like salt." This is the first time this has happened to me so it seems very odd.

31st October, 2006

IPaidForThisName's avatar
    IPaidForThisName

edOV is a nice summer citrus fragrance. It’s very fresh and very orangey. Too bad it lasts for 10 minutes, max.

19 September, 2005

deaconford's avatar
    deaconford

Yea it's ok,just ride with the bottle with you because you'll need to refreshen up every 10 min. or so.I am kind of dissapointed thinking A fragrance this old would have some staying power.It's all grey flannel's fault why I think like that.

18 July, 2003