Neutral Reviews of Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Find out more about Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

NOiDONThaveBO's avatar

This I think is a very likeable scent. I find it to be musky in a traditional Drakkar Noir kind of way. The citrus is present and strong, but it is not a sweet citrus. More of a tart and not yet ripe citrus. It does however not last very long. Sprayed on in the morning it will be barely noticeable on my skin in the late afternoon. I find this scent to be not very complex. I do not find that it evolves into a different scent throughout the day, in fact it seemed almost the same from spray to dissipation.
    The Good: Lovely musky smell, an interesting take on green orange.
    The Bad: Gone in a few hours, not many different elements to the scent.
    Overall: Smells good, but lacks some qualities that I value in a fragrance.

10th April, 2014

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Great orange scent that smells wonderful, but is gone in minutes.
    If it lasted more it would be a compelling thumbs up, but its longevity ruins what could have been one of the great scents in the market.

18 January, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

A blast of bitter oranges with lemon you get off the top with a spicy freshness.

It's a little bit sweet and quickly becomes drier where you are left with a slight mossy powdery orange on your skin.

On my skin it takes twenty minutes from the fresh opening to the basenotes where it is barely detectable.

It's nice while it lasts but the very poor longevity and projection are just not worth your money or time.

09 February, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

Orange Peel scent done nicely. A little soapy,but executed very well. Slightly sweet. This has that out of the shower smell. It can also be considered unisex. Definetly one to try out.

09 November, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

This fragrance is very simple. It's purely orange. The smell of orange is so dominant that it overpowers everything else. It's strong and if you wear this, you will smell exactly like an orange peel. Of course, the ingredients are quality, but who wants to smell like an orange peel?

If you love the smell of orange and want a fragrance that is based on only one ingredient, sample this one out. Otherwise, pass.

12 July, 2012

Bostonguy's avatar

Very distinct, almost artificial, orange right off the top. Super bright. Similar to some orange cleaning products but in a pleasant way - but it definitely reminds me of those Orange Essence cleaning products you see at Whole Foods in the top notes.

As it dries down (maybe 15-20 minutes) it loses a lot of that top citrus and green notes shine. I don't get papaya and mango as much. More like the leaves of the mango tree but, honestly, it might be that the mid and base notes blend so quickly that I'm getting the oakmoss mixed with the tropical fruits that result in that quality to me.

Imagine walking past someone testing orange cleaner in a grocery store. Then, after a bit, walking to the produce aisle and hanging out between the leafy greens and the tropical fruits. Then leaving the store shortly after.

Sillage is poor. Longevity is poor (it's an EDC). Opening scent and drydown are both really quality and the transition from citrus to green is quite pleasant, to me. I give this a neutral due to the somewhat synthetic opening citrus and poor longevity. I own a bottle and never really reach for it as it's so fleeting. A small atomizer (5ml or so) in your pocket would help with this and it's not super expensive. I paid $50/3.4 oz.

If you want a pick-me-up during the spring/summer this will do it for you. There are better scents, though.

01st May, 2012

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

When I first tried this I thought, "Awesome"!, now........so-so, a shrug of the shoulders........you get the idea.

At first sniff it is bright and citrusy but I think the reason this is Hermes' more budget friendly scents starts to come throught; there is a detergent like aroma there, if you step back and think about it, it seems like the synthetic side of those citrus notes.

This really came to light when I took my Guerlain Imperiale Extra Dry out for a full day test run. I'd had this gem set aside for more warm beautiful day/evening outings.

GEEE!! Guerlain puts Hermes' Vert D'Orange to shame. This Hermes is great, until you come across something pricier like Guerlain's products.

For now though if you don't interpret Vert's zest/citrus notes as detergent-like as I did then you may just love this baby. I'll still wear it but I'll do it with a shrug of the shoulders.

27 August, 2011

pansylady's avatar

I love citrus notes, and so expected to love this one, but it definitely gave me the impression of a shaving cream scent...

25 July, 2011

timaru's avatar

Germany Germany

Yeah, as others have stated, truly a well executed citrus fragrance. however, no matter what, I expect my scents to last longer than the 60 minutes I get from this max.

24 February, 2011

ProfessorPlum's avatar

Smells great. Gone in 20 minutes. Shame.

27 May, 2009

robpmgc's avatar

The proverbial girl through the bottom of the glass of scotch......Beautiful, for about 15 minutes, then never to be found again.
    If this lasted even 3 hours, I would use it frequently. I finished my bottle of it very quickly, but will never buy it again. Too bad.

26 February, 2009

lex's avatar

spicey orange and lemons. a nice vintage csent that doesnt smell completely vintage.

21st February, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2009)

Hobbes's avatar

Don't get me wrong, I loved the initial scent. Five minutes later, however... it was nowhere to be found. In fact, there was no scent there at all! I must have looked like a kook sniffing the inside of my shirt in class trying to get even the slightest whiff of the scent. It was great while it lasted though...

12 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2009)

Tony T's avatar

it's an edc not edt folks. if it lasted more than an hour then it would be a problem. for a creation created in 1979 along with chaps (EWW)!!!!!!! this is pretty special.one of the best citruses of all time but it's basically orange. no papaya detected from me but the mango and mandarin do hold it's own for the longevity of duration. all in all 7 out of 10.

17 September, 2008

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

It's pleasant alright... refreshing, uplifting, comfortable. But, just like most other citrus fragrances, it lacks complexity and most importantly, development and staying power. It's an easy, simple, plain fragrance that I would see myself wearing during tennis matches. I think it suits white, sporty outfits and should be worn with a relaxed, easy-going attitude.
    Regarding the composition, it's simple and pretty well crafted. All I could smell was oranges and mint.

16 September, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Good EdC, fantastic citrus. Just be wary that dry skin seems to soak this up and the scent is gone after an hour.

31st August, 2008

everso's avatar

unbelievale scent. one of the greatest fragrances EVER. but but but but but but............has THE crappiest longetivity in the history of fragrances. It is the ultimate olfactory tease. I can't buy another bottle, because i can't bear the pain....

25 August, 2008

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Strange and inconstant scent, halfways trough two very different concepts- half of this scent semms to smell like the most exuisite, puristic, innoffensive, stylish high-end citrus, but the drydown is rather a synthetic, extremely sweet and powdery unisex, reminding of many of rather vile, chemical, unstylish mass-market products for the young, campy, inexperienced and simple-minded.

03 December, 2006

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

A fresh,intense orange scent for summer.Maybe a bitt harsh and bitter but not uncomfortable.Lasts quite long.Nice opening, drydown ok if don´t spray too much.To me it´s a nice edt but nothing more.A bit boring.If you look for a great edt then please have a look at chanel, patou,guerlain,caron etc-there you will find great, really interesting perfumes!But if you wanna say -oh it´s hermes....then choose orange vert-it is as boring as the whole brand-and, this edt is definitely not very masculine.....metrosexual?androgyn?better for a boring,elderly,conservative lady.....

12 November, 2006

robyogi's avatar

I like the orange and spicy start, but when it dries down on me, it smells ordinary, overly simple, and somewhat "old man." It's not terrible, but I see no reason to buy this when there are so many other more distinctive orange scents out there. This one is neither inspiring nor offensive. It also doesn't last very long.

27 February, 2006

the_gabba_goul's avatar

The scent is fresh and sweet...notes of green mix with a sweet cirtus scent, like orange sherbert garnished with mint, served on a hot summer day...but just like orange sherbert on a hot day, this scent melts away almost instantly...the fact that it has no staying power at all is so dissapointing, but the smell is so beautiful while it lasts...

09 November, 2005

boogles's avatar

Hermes produces most of my favorites, except I hate Rocabar...this is decent in and of itself, but fails to achieve the originality and sophistication for which I admire Hermes fragrances. If I had it, I'd use it, but I wouldn't buy it.

25 August, 2005

mikey_p's avatar

Nice, but lasts like 5 minutes.

17 July, 2005 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2005)

Axel_F.'s avatar

Nice scent for warmer days, Doesn't last too long.

27 December, 2004 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2005)