Reviews of Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Find out more about Eau de Cartier by Cartier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

Eau de Cartier opens with a pleasant, fresh citrus-bergamot accord, slightly aquatic too, with a soft base of vanilla, sweet aromatic woods (cedar), perhaps amber, and a lively, bright and delicate floral-spicy breeze all over, with also a green accord giving tartness and crunchiness. Aldehydes fill the space without being too prominent. As minutes pass the flowers, notably violet, become more bold and prominent, focusing on a vibrant, fresh violet note which beautifully and gently blends with the rest. So basically a nice, honest fresh, spicy floral-woody scent. It somehow reminded me of Déclaration, as other reviewers already notes, with a more transparent and "contemporary" look, less complex and less rich, perhaps less interesting too, nothing "stunning" but still nice. Being an "eau", it predictably lasts quite short.

6,5-7/10

04 July, 2014

Tmoran's avatar

I really really try not to do thumbs down reviews. I try to see the least bit of good in everything. This however is just an insulting scent. It is so bland, generic and poor performing it seriously deserves no higher remarks. Even at its bargain store price of $30 its a waste of time and money. It was slightly surprising to find a spicy undertone after the oh so forgettable citrus opening that has been done so many times its almost makes a completely inoffensive smell actually offensive with its audacity to shove the same old same old under your nose and ask for money to do so. Cartier has never been much of a memorable house. But this is weak even by their standards. Dont get me wrong. It doesnt smell bad. But neither does nautica blue. But that doesnt mean its anything special either.

27 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

I expected some variant on the traditional eau de Cologne formula from Eau de Cartier, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the citrus and violet leaf top notes are supported by a warm, dry spice and cedar accord that could easily be Déclaration’s little brother. While I understand Eau de Cartier was composed by Christine Nagel, rather than Jean-Claude Elléna, I wonder if Cartier’s art directors asked her to align it with the house’s most successful masculine fragrance.

There’s not much development once the wood and spices take their places, but this does not pretend to be more than a refreshing eau, and its quality and chaacter leave me with no complaints. In fact, I especially appreciate that the cedar note, last of all to fade, does not smell harsh, bare, or chemical, as it does in so many recent masculine drydowns. Nice work all around.

13 June, 2014

The_Cologneist's avatar

Eau de Cartier is a nice simple blend of basically violet and yuzu, with a lovely woodsy/musky base. Most Cartier fragrances I have tried have had beautiful dry downs, and this one is no exception. While the opening is nice, but can be a bit harsh for some, its dry down surely redeems itself of any faults it may have started off with.

The top... can we say yuzu? Lots and lots of yuzu, accompanied with a creamy violet note. Yuzu tends to be a sharp note, so for some, and a few that I was sampling this around, they were not fond of the opening sharp yuzu note. The violets quickly come and balance it out though. It stays pretty linear for a good hour or so before the musky/cedar base kicks in. It even reminds me of Declaration's base to an extent. I also get some of the yuzu and violet from the top.. maybe a little patchouli in the dry down too, and hint of sweetness from the amber.

This is a pretty good one, I have to give it the seal of approval. It is very simple too, very safe. Also gets some compliments, at least in my world. It will go to my wish list, as I see a smaller sized bottle of this to be a good investment for my fragrance arsenal.

Also, on the upside of things. I find yuzu notes in designer fragrances to be not so good quite often. I think the yuzu here is done exceptionally well. Sharp, citric, and slightly floral, as yuzu should very well be. Well done.

One other thing to add. I was trying to figure where I had smelled this before. As it dries down, it reminds me of a fragrance that smells like it just came out of the water, but isn't aquatic at all. That specific fragrance is Paprika Brasil. Although they are very different, they share this common smell of chlorinated water somewhere in them. I find this accord very pleasing to the nose in both of them, not at all off putting.

08 June, 2014

reinhard5490's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

an simple scent

The old men who sell this stuff ask me what did I want? "something for daily routine. not offensive and would be able to perform anyday of the week, any season". he smiled and pull a big 200ml bottle of his Eau de Cartier. the solid looking bottle amazes me on the quality of how Cartier treat their bottles. - but the name 'Eau' turn me off. I imagine an ultralight fragrance that would banished entirely from my skin within 30 minutes.

one spray to the hand. open with spiced-citrus. nothing too special. skip. I try many other fragrance, get myself Declaration and Laliques, upon the time to pay, I notice something floral soapy... it comes from my hand that was sprayed by Eau de Cartier. to my amazement, I sniffed upon it once again, it so simple but beauty. not offensive in anyway, comforting and very versatile. I get that 200ml bottle

now this fragrance became my office scent, probably going to replace Versace Pour Homme place for the rest of my life. simple, unoffensive, office-appropriate, last a (really) long time with close to the skin sillage. but hey, do I need to use monstrous beast everyday? no! sometimes I want it comforting me, and Eau de Cartier did just that. perfect office fragrance

Eau de Cartier, simple name. simple scent. perfectly done

Pros: Perfect for Office
    Cons: Lack of Depth, Lack of Projection, Boring"

20th October, 2013

SirRaymond's avatar

Subtle Beauty

Elegant, subtle, and refined,

For an introspective frame of mind.

Close to the skin, it lingers on,

I'll re-apply before it's gone.

I wish that it would longer stay,

But "Less is More," the pundits say.

(And thus it is, this Cartier).

19 June, 2013

heo's avatar

Norway Norway

the scent is very pleasant to the extend that it's my first time in my life i finished a 200ml bottle. The notes are very well balanced. The musk and amber base notes with a hint of bergamot makes Eau de Cartier a well mixed scent, specially for warm and hot days.

I got the concertee edition, but this one is way more better.

08 April, 2013

PerfumeCollector's avatar

I just gave away my bottle to a friend because I decided not to wear it any longer.
    Is not that I disilke this fragrance, but it will never win my heart, neither my wife's.
    A fresh, clean scent that would offend nobody, but on the other hand, I don't see how you can't get to love it either. In a word: bland.

27 March, 2013

Sly2scents's avatar

To me this smells like the barbershop. When the barber is just about to remove your cape they spray something similar to this scent. I think the projection and longevity could be better.

17 March, 2013

's avatar

Very subtle scent suitable for hot days. Smells classy and clean. It's unisex. My only complaint it's about the lasting power and projection, which are too weak.

29 October, 2012

Darvant's avatar

A well crafted, fresh and subtle combination of aqueous elements, flowers and musk with a soft woody base. The juice is averagely sharp, clean and elegant with its sort of joyful approach. Soft floral notes on the side of astringent citrus start to open the evolution and i immediately catch in the air a discreet interaction of violet leaves, subtle herbs, musk and cedarwood. The initial traditional link of bergamot and lavender imprints a classic vibe (lemony and barely aromatic), the implementation of the note of yuzu turns out a sort of eastern calming "pond" effect, while a touch of ambergris in the base, on the side of cedarwood and hints of prickly spices (pepper?) grants to us a touch of final dustiness. The smell itself is like a barely soapy combination of lemon and violets with really moderate mildness and detergent-neutral musky undertones (one of the Cartier's landmarks). Really  elegant, charming and comforting scent.

20th August, 2012

Marathon Alchemist's avatar

I love this scent so much. I'm on my third bottle. I started with the 1.7 then I jumped to the 3.4 and now I'm on to the 6.7 and when I finish that one I hope to find an even bigger bottle.

30th June, 2012

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Lovely, for the refined gentlemen of absolute finesse.

18 June, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

An initial, juicy smear of yuzu is quickly overwhelmed by a pepper shower – a waiter in an Italian restaurant on the rampage with his obscene grinder. Within minutes the pepper clicks its bossy-boots heels and is gone, to be followed by a discreet aromatic, woodsy, 'fresh' accord in the Cool Water clone mode, all of which deserve to be lined against a wall and shot.

16 June, 2012

alfarom's avatar

A refreshing and very likeable soft composition that should work as a perfect example of how it's still possible to make a good "eau" avoiding the tipycal "neroli formula".

Citruses and violet leaf on top, soft woods and spices in the base. Simple but extremely refined. As long as you don't expect a super longevity or any sillage, this is quite satisfying (don't forget this is an "aqua"). To be used without moderation! One of the very few in this genre that I really enjoy! Very Nice.

29 August, 2011

Fleurine's avatar

I give the bottle design a thumbs up, the juice is so-so. A very safe synthetic Iso-E Super smell with nice mild (boring) flowers. I forgot about it 5 seconds after I stopped smelling it. I guess you could say that it is delicate, but I find it hard to care about.

21st August, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

For those that love refreshing citrus-based fragrances with that slight masculine touch - Eau de Cartier is for you.

I'm not a big citrus wearer. I prefer to smell it on others rather than on myself. However with that being said, Eau de Cartier is certainly lovely and fresh. Perfect for a hot Summer's day.

The yuzu is an interesting note. I first experienced it in Incanto Bliss by Salvatore Ferragamo, which I think I liked simply because of the yuzu note. So for those that aren't too thrilled with citrusy scents, do try something with yuzu in it and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Eau de Cartier is one of those everyday type of scents. On the skin it feels clean, subtle and comforting.

In some ways Eau de Cartier reminds me of Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana. Possibly because of the citrusy opening and the cedary drydown. I do however love the patchouli note in this fragrance. It is spicy, earthy and delightful.

I did try to love this fragrance, however the masculine citrus note got in the way of that full-fledged love. The lasting power was rather weak as well, which only left me bitterly disappointed. However, as I mentioned previously, both men and women alike, those who love citrusy scents, will most likely love the classy Eau de Cartier.

07 August, 2011

Spoombung's avatar

A subtle, transparent, violet scent with a light, herbal quality. Likeable... but short-lived on the skin, unfortunately.

25 April, 2011

TropiRock's avatar

Violet, citrus, safe....but pitifully weak in formulation. Almost no longevity and the sillage is barely a blip on the radar. I didn't expect this to be towering fragrance, but let's face it: we all buy colognes/perfumes to enjoy their nice smell. That's hard to do with Eau de Cartier because of its shy and fleeting nature.

06 January, 2011

Kaern's avatar

I'm swamped by violet leaf for a long time -- thank god its diluted to some extent by that lovely yuzu flower at the top and the lavender and cedar accord later. Eau de Cartier is nicer than it's rather austere sibling, but I can't find any love for it.

PS. Tom Ford has bankrolled a lovely new fragrance called 'Azure Lime' , which apart from a perceived aquatic note (not calone, I hope) in the heart, is a splendid citrus which lasts and lasts -- smells like bergamot, lemon, lime, neroli are all included. Probably moving into the wrong months now for optimum use though.

23 August, 2010

smartscent's avatar

I had high-hopes for this one, but can only think of one thing....hair-spray. It smelled great on the test strip, but sprayed some on myself, and all I get is the smell of hairspray from start to finish. I couldn't wait to wash this off as quickly as possible.

27 July, 2010

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Perfect. He proves that not to be complex to be good. If happiness were the smell was Eau de Cartier him.

17 January, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Refreshingly cool and sparklingly clear, almost aquatic with a tint of herbal green complimenting the hesperidic touch of yuzu. I like EAU DE CARTIER's ethereal composition far better than the similarly yuzu-inspired Angel Schlesser Homme but this very same gossamer-like sheerness makes it a frustratingly fleeting scent to wear on skin. Yes, misting it over your clothes is always an option but it's hardly the most elegant of solutions.

22 December, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

A moderately pleasing production from Cartier, delicate, subtle and simple in purpose. The opening is an exercise in muted sweetness, with a slightly extroverted violet taking the plaudits, and remaining the focus of attention for the hour or so until the middle notes join the throng. Once the violet has receded, the delicacy of other floral tones are discernable, and at this stage, the fragrance feels gossamer light, and very contained. The drydown is slightly arid and edgy, with a rough lavender presence injecting a little charm and warmth into the proceedings. Eau de Cartier seems fragile and timid, perhaps fatally so, for it never quite has the charisma to pull off the general feeling of meekness. Sillage and longevity are both in short supply, making the concentree version the better choice if you are dead set on making a purchase..

07 June, 2009

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Is this marvelous juice not done by Ellena??? It's got all the hallmarks of a great and accomplished Ellena's work written all over it. Light yet uplifting, quiet yet beautiful, a scent of lightness and transparency. An absolute ambrosia of a men's scent. Classic indeed.

14 April, 2009

Tedster's avatar

I don't feel like I could pull this off. The only notes I pick up on, are of the flowery type in this fragrance. Its a nice scent, very mellow, smooth, and confident... But not for me. I'd associate it slightly more feminine than masculine. Still, I give it a thumbs up for being a pleasant scent.

27 March, 2009

JaimeB's avatar

A very fresh woody oriental, I would say, but this is a bit green also. I like this quite a bit better than the Concentrée flanker; I think even though it's not as intense, it has a more floral and less peppery character. Of late, I have found that sharp peppery note less appealing. Not very long-lasting, although the drydown is definitely quite nice. Sillage diminishes as it wears off. The base notes keep this going a little bit longer, and are largely responsible for that really wonderful drydown. Just as true of this as of the Concentrée: Simplicity and transparency have their charms.

27 March, 2009

moxamet's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

I wore this 1st time to work, during ward rounds, i kept percieving a strange, pleasant enticing smell around me, but didnt have a clue where it came from, little did i know after few days of usage that it was the EdC that metamorphosed into that lingering redolence of sunny summer picnics, surf boards, Clubbing. By the way try this together with Declaration, it is even more baffling.

Sexy, Unusual, Very Enticing

26 February, 2009

Oyama's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Extremely fresh ! It matches with Brazil´s climate. They say that Eau de Cartier smells like moonlight. I agree on this statement. I like the musk scent that lasts all day long.

23 February, 2009

JessicaGrace's avatar

I was so excited about this...but glad I bought a sample online before committing. On me, the first blast is pure bug-spray. It develops more pleasantly, but stays very crisp, very green, very masculine. I didn't smell any citrus. I mostly got cedar/musk, and a little patchouli. In all, it's nice, but I'd like it better on someone else, probably a guy. I might wear this to work, especially if I was trying to impress a female boss. Otherwise, no. I need something more femme.

19 February, 2009