Positive Reviews of Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Find out more about Eau de Cartier by Cartier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

clamnole's avatar

I've never been a fan of aquatic fragrances, but living in the hot and humid Gulf Coast, I wanted to find something with aquatic quality that would last long into the work day. I put the question to the base notes forum and a respected reviewer recommended EdC.

EdC while not an aquatic, is a nice elegant scent. I don't find the harsh citrus opening that some have noted. In fact it's quite pleasant. I wasn't familiar with yuzu, but in combination with the citrus it's really a sort of citrus floral or orange blossom. Very pleasing and calm. The middle is definitely violet and lavender, which I absolutely love with a soft woods base. This fragrance stays very smooth throughout.

The composition is clean, fresh and elegant. Unfortunatley, like an aquatic, EdC lacks longevity. I get 3-4hrs tops and then almost no scent at all. Really disappointing and I'll have to choose where to wear this one because the scent is quite nice.

18th March, 2015 (Last Edited: 01st April, 2015)

aquila_2009's avatar

Iran Iran

Salutation.

I am Absolutely IN LOVE with this kind of fragrances Because Gives me Feel Comfortable and Calmness. EDC is Light smelling Citrus cologne Yet Remarkable. Unisex with a hinf of Masculine. Refined,Enjoyable,Crisp,Subtle, Refreshing,Harmonious and not overpowering.

It is a mix of Citruses in the top,an Aromatic heart comprised of Lavender and Violet and a Masculine Base notes by Musk and Patchouli.This Scents Lovely as People want to be in Your presence with Avidity.The Bottle is Stylish and Lovely too.

It is best for SUMMER Casual use,yet it is fairly Versatile fragrance. Good For OFFICE use when Your Colleagues Indignant with Heavy scents. Perfect for a YOUNG man. Anyway If you are Looking for a Fresh,Subtle scent You can not go Wrong with this one but I dont Recommend It to Anyone who is Wanting a new Scent.

Sillage?Decent.

Longevity?In My opinion EDC is one of those fragrances when you spray it on Your clothes Longevity is Better than skin.

12th December, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Eau de Cartier opens with a pleasant, fresh citrus-bergamot accord, slightly aquatic too, with a soft base of vanilla, sweet aromatic woods (cedar), perhaps amber, and a lively, bright and delicate floral-spicy breeze all over, with also a green accord giving tartness and crunchiness. Aldehydes fill the space without being too prominent. As minutes pass the flowers, notably violet, become more bold and prominent, focusing on a vibrant, fresh violet note which beautifully and gently blends with the rest. So basically a nice, honest fresh, spicy floral-woody scent. It somehow reminded me of Déclaration, as other reviewers already notes, with a more transparent and "contemporary" look, less complex and less rich, perhaps less interesting too, nothing "stunning" but still nice. Being an "eau", it predictably lasts quite short.

6,5-7/10

04th July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

I expected some variant on the traditional eau de Cologne formula from Eau de Cartier, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the citrus and violet leaf top notes are supported by a warm, dry spice and cedar accord that could easily be Déclaration’s little brother. While I understand Eau de Cartier was composed by Christine Nagel, rather than Jean-Claude Elléna, I wonder if Cartier’s art directors asked her to align it with the house’s most successful masculine fragrance.

There’s not much development once the wood and spices take their places, but this does not pretend to be more than a refreshing eau, and its quality and chaacter leave me with no complaints. In fact, I especially appreciate that the cedar note, last of all to fade, does not smell harsh, bare, or chemical, as it does in so many recent masculine drydowns. Nice work all around.

13th June, 2014

The_Cologneist's avatar

Eau de Cartier is a nice simple blend of basically violet and yuzu, with a lovely woodsy/musky base. Most Cartier fragrances I have tried have had beautiful dry downs, and this one is no exception. While the opening is nice, but can be a bit harsh for some, its dry down surely redeems itself of any faults it may have started off with.

The top... can we say yuzu? Lots and lots of yuzu, accompanied with a creamy violet note. Yuzu tends to be a sharp note, so for some, and a few that I was sampling this around, they were not fond of the opening sharp yuzu note. The violets quickly come and balance it out though. It stays pretty linear for a good hour or so before the musky/cedar base kicks in. It even reminds me of Declaration's base to an extent. I also get some of the yuzu and violet from the top.. maybe a little patchouli in the dry down too, and hint of sweetness from the amber.

This is a pretty good one, I have to give it the seal of approval. It is very simple too, very safe. Also gets some compliments, at least in my world. It will go to my wish list, as I see a smaller sized bottle of this to be a good investment for my fragrance arsenal.

Also, on the upside of things. I find yuzu notes in designer fragrances to be not so good quite often. I think the yuzu here is done exceptionally well. Sharp, citric, and slightly floral, as yuzu should very well be. Well done.

One other thing to add. I was trying to figure where I had smelled this before. As it dries down, it reminds me of a fragrance that smells like it just came out of the water, but isn't aquatic at all. That specific fragrance is Paprika Brasil. Although they are very different, they share this common smell of chlorinated water somewhere in them. I find this accord very pleasing to the nose in both of them, not at all off putting.

08th June, 2014

SirRaymond's avatar

Subtle Beauty

Elegant, subtle, and refined,

For an introspective frame of mind.

Close to the skin, it lingers on,

I'll re-apply before it's gone.

I wish that it would longer stay,

But "Less is More," the pundits say.

(And thus it is, this Cartier).

19th June, 2013

heo's avatar

Norway Norway

the scent is very pleasant to the extend that it's my first time in my life i finished a 200ml bottle. The notes are very well balanced. The musk and amber base notes with a hint of bergamot makes Eau de Cartier a well mixed scent, specially for warm and hot days.

I got the concertee edition, but this one is way more better.

08th April, 2013

Sly2scents's avatar

To me this smells like the barbershop. When the barber is just about to remove your cape they spray something similar to this scent. I think the projection and longevity could be better.

17th March, 2013

's avatar

Very subtle scent suitable for hot days. Smells classy and clean. It's unisex. My only complaint it's about the lasting power and projection, which are too weak.

29th October, 2012

Darvant's avatar

A well crafted, fresh and subtle combination of aqueous elements, flowers and musk with a soft woody base. The juice is averagely sharp, clean and elegant with its sort of joyful approach. Soft floral notes on the side of astringent citrus start to open the evolution and i immediately catch in the air a discreet interaction of violet leaves, subtle herbs, musk and cedarwood. The initial traditional link of bergamot and lavender imprints a classic vibe (lemony and barely aromatic), the implementation of the note of yuzu turns out a sort of eastern calming "pond" effect, while a touch of ambergris in the base, on the side of cedarwood and hints of prickly spices (pepper?) grants to us a touch of final dustiness. The smell itself is like a barely soapy combination of lemon and violets with really moderate mildness and detergent-neutral musky undertones (one of the Cartier's landmarks). Really  elegant, charming and comforting scent.

20th August, 2012

Marathon Alchemist's avatar

I love this scent so much. I'm on my third bottle. I started with the 1.7 then I jumped to the 3.4 and now I'm on to the 6.7 and when I finish that one I hope to find an even bigger bottle.

30th June, 2012

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Lovely, for the refined gentlemen of absolute finesse.

18th June, 2012

alfarom's avatar

A refreshing and very likeable soft composition that should work as a perfect example of how it's still possible to make a good "eau" avoiding the tipycal "neroli formula".

Citruses and violet leaf on top, soft woods and spices in the base. Simple but extremely refined. As long as you don't expect a super longevity or any sillage, this is quite satisfying (don't forget this is an "aqua"). To be used without moderation! One of the very few in this genre that I really enjoy! Very Nice.

29th August, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

For those that love refreshing citrus-based fragrances with that slight masculine touch - Eau de Cartier is for you.

I'm not a big citrus wearer. I prefer to smell it on others rather than on myself. However with that being said, Eau de Cartier is certainly lovely and fresh. Perfect for a hot Summer's day.

The yuzu is an interesting note. I first experienced it in Incanto Bliss by Salvatore Ferragamo, which I think I liked simply because of the yuzu note. So for those that aren't too thrilled with citrusy scents, do try something with yuzu in it and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Eau de Cartier is one of those everyday type of scents. On the skin it feels clean, subtle and comforting.

In some ways Eau de Cartier reminds me of Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana. Possibly because of the citrusy opening and the cedary drydown. I do however love the patchouli note in this fragrance. It is spicy, earthy and delightful.

I did try to love this fragrance, however the masculine citrus note got in the way of that full-fledged love. The lasting power was rather weak as well, which only left me bitterly disappointed. However, as I mentioned previously, both men and women alike, those who love citrusy scents, will most likely love the classy Eau de Cartier.

07th August, 2011

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Perfect. He proves that not to be complex to be good. If happiness were the smell was Eau de Cartier him.

17th January, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Refreshingly cool and sparklingly clear, almost aquatic with a tint of herbal green complimenting the hesperidic touch of yuzu. I like EAU DE CARTIER's ethereal composition far better than the similarly yuzu-inspired Angel Schlesser Homme but this very same gossamer-like sheerness makes it a frustratingly fleeting scent to wear on skin. Yes, misting it over your clothes is always an option but it's hardly the most elegant of solutions.

22nd December, 2009

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Is this marvelous juice not done by Ellena??? It's got all the hallmarks of a great and accomplished Ellena's work written all over it. Light yet uplifting, quiet yet beautiful, a scent of lightness and transparency. An absolute ambrosia of a men's scent. Classic indeed.

14th April, 2009

Tedster's avatar

I don't feel like I could pull this off. The only notes I pick up on, are of the flowery type in this fragrance. Its a nice scent, very mellow, smooth, and confident... But not for me. I'd associate it slightly more feminine than masculine. Still, I give it a thumbs up for being a pleasant scent.

27th March, 2009

JaimeB's avatar

A very fresh woody oriental, I would say, but this is a bit green also. I like this quite a bit better than the Concentrée flanker; I think even though it's not as intense, it has a more floral and less peppery character. Of late, I have found that sharp peppery note less appealing. Not very long-lasting, although the drydown is definitely quite nice. Sillage diminishes as it wears off. The base notes keep this going a little bit longer, and are largely responsible for that really wonderful drydown. Just as true of this as of the Concentrée: Simplicity and transparency have their charms.

27th March, 2009

moxamet's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

I wore this 1st time to work, during ward rounds, i kept percieving a strange, pleasant enticing smell around me, but didnt have a clue where it came from, little did i know after few days of usage that it was the EdC that metamorphosed into that lingering redolence of sunny summer picnics, surf boards, Clubbing. By the way try this together with Declaration, it is even more baffling.

Sexy, Unusual, Very Enticing

26th February, 2009

Oyama's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Extremely fresh ! It matches with Brazil´s climate. They say that Eau de Cartier smells like moonlight. I agree on this statement. I like the musk scent that lasts all day long.

23rd February, 2009

Algharb's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Class - in a classic timeless way! I wear it in special ocasions - feel it would be a waste if out of tune and not the apropriate situation... When? Try it and you'll figure out - if you can't - don't buy it! Also, it's out of leddys range: it's for mature men, to enjoy in a calm manner and never in rush! Always there waiting for me - I hope! One of the best fragrances available in Portugal.

21st November, 2008

drummerboy20's avatar

Too many word to describe this.....So im just going to say, wear this with the jeans/shorts, tee/polo, and air forces or tims. This is the kind where you get all "iced up' and fresh, ready to step out, or just a casual day in town, chillin' with friends. This is Issey Miyake's little sister or brother

24th October, 2008

finisterle's avatar

North Korea North Korea

Light & fruity opening. Not unlike the freshly vibrant air outside a flower shop on a cool morning. Has to be applied richly to be noticed at all though.
    So how good is it ?
    Well; I'd rather smell this than Le Baiser du Dragon, also by Cartier, on a woman.
    So, if chosing among Cartiers, maybe a woman would rather smell this than Must Essence on me ? Quite possible.
    But would I rather wear this than Must essence ? On first impression: no, absolutely not. It simply is: asexually boring beyond belief. But...then you get it.
    It is like when a shy person finally opens his or her mouth and says something delightul in a soft pleasing voice, and you wish they would just go on and on.
    Final verdict: It can put you to sleep. But it will do so in a first class bed.

25th August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Nice and subtle and amazing smell. These "Eau de Whatever's" seem to always be a great fragrance though they're almost all alike. Eau de Cartier has this weird yuzu/licorice note that distinguishes itself. Eau de Paco is very comparable to this, lacks the anise note and is stronger. This is still a great scent nonetheless.

10th July, 2008

HDS1963's avatar

Top Notes
    Yuzu, Bergamot.
    Middle Notes
    VIOLETS, Musk, Lavender.
    Base Notes
    Amber, Patchouli, Cedarwood.

This is one of my favourite fragances. But it didn't start out that way. First time I smelled it, I lightly misted my arm with it and... nothing. Didn't go anywhere, in fact it seemed to disappear altogther.

So then, I gave several spritzes and BINGO! The scent kicked in a gave such a fantatistic account of itself I couldn't believe it.

The top notes are sharp, airy yet hold themselves with a great deal of dignity. I have no idea what Yuzu smells like on its own, but it doesn't offend here, so I can only imagine it smells nice!

What wins for me here is the interplay of Violets and Lavender. Take away the Violets and this would be a distinguished Lavender scent on its own I think. But it's the interplay with the violets that really takes this a cut above. I disagree with others who have said that the Lavender doesn't last through to the drydown, they do, and so do the violets, all underpinned beautifully with sweet patchouli and cedarwood (can't get the amber, unless that's the warmth of at the ending?).

I've changed the heartnotes in my review from the heartnotes given at the top of the review section because Cartier themselves specify Violets as being one of the key notes for this fragrance. If you like Grey Flannel, you'll love this, because it renders with Violets with the same kind of elegance.

But Eau De Catier has something else about it that just makes it a winner, it is etherial and magical and smells very expensive.

If you don't realise that you really have to APPLY this you are going to miss out on a fantastic fragrance. This is not like, say Un Jardin Sur Le Nil where you have to mist it lightly otherwise you will wipe out civilisations because it's sillage is so great, this you need to apply in proper manly portions.

Once you get the application right, you will find that it has great sillage and longevity.

But heck, just get it, it's fantastic.

05th May, 2008

Stacked_Kat's avatar

Violets in a wood after clean rain is how this smells to me, as stated it is perfect to wear in close quarters as it sticks close to the skin and becomes your own smell and so totally inoffensive.
    A simple and at the same time an intricate scent it is more complex with the dry down, I always find violet leaves comforting somehow.

14th December, 2007

jimmyfresno's avatar

This fragrance is extraordinary, but a true example of how manufacturers can just slap on names of notes for marketing sexiness regardless of what's in the juice itself. To me, under the kuzu top note, this fragrance rings clearly of peppercorn, pimiento, violet and a woodiness based on the aromachemical iso e super (think Shiseido "Feminite du Bois" or Escentric Molecules "Escentric 01")

It is a loveable, masterfully blended, refreshing scent.

26th November, 2007

jrd4t's avatar

It's a crisp, green scent with a peppery/woody bite to it. It seems very light with just enough spice and point to balance the lighter notes. It is still somewhat thin, but very nice for daytime wear.

01st June, 2007

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

If all thumbs up is any indication, this is a winner. Love. Can't find anything wrong with it. if you want a decidedly masculine form of this same scent, then go with Versace Man eau Fraiche. For the ladies, go with Dolce Gabbana light blue.
    Highly recommended.