Positive Reviews of Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Find out more about Eau de Cartier by Cartier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

SirRaymond's avatar
    SirRaymond

Subtle Beauty

Elegant, subtle, and refined,

For an introspective frame of mind.

Close to the skin, it lingers on,

I'll re-apply before it's gone.

I wish that it would longer stay,

But "Less is More," the pundits say.

(And thus it is, this Cartier).

19 June, 2013

heo's avatar
    heo
    Norway Norway

the scent is very pleasant to the extend that it's my first time in my life i finished a 200ml bottle. The notes are very well balanced. The musk and amber base notes with a hint of bergamot makes Eau de Cartier a well mixed scent, specially for warm and hot days.

I got the concertee edition, but this one is way more better.

08 April, 2013

Sly2scents's avatar
    Sly2scents

To me this smells like the barbershop. When the barber is just about to remove your cape they spray something similar to this scent. I think the projection and longevity could be better.

17 March, 2013

's avatar

Very subtle scent suitable for hot days. Smells classy and clean. It's unisex. My only complaint it's about the lasting power and projection, which are too weak.

29 October, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

A well crafted, fresh and subtle combination of aqueous elements, flowers and musk with a soft woody base. The juice is averagely sharp, clean and elegant with its sort of joyful approach. Soft floral notes on the side of astringent citrus start to open the evolution and i immediately catch in the air a discreet interaction of violet leaves, subtle herbs, musk and cedarwood. The initial traditional link of bergamot and lavender imprints a classic vibe (lemony and barely aromatic), the implementation of the note of yuzu turns out a sort of eastern calming "pond" effect, while a touch of ambergris in the base, on the side of cedarwood and hints of prickly spices (pepper?) grants to us a touch of final dustiness. The smell itself is like a barely soapy combination of lemon and violets with really moderate mildness and detergent-neutral musky undertones (one of the Cartier's landmarks). Really  elegant, charming and comforting scent.

20th August, 2012

Marathon Alchemist's avatar
    Marathon Alchemist

I love this scent so much. I'm on my third bottle. I started with the 1.7 then I jumped to the 3.4 and now I'm on to the 6.7 and when I finish that one I hope to find an even bigger bottle.

30th June, 2012

benzganesh's avatar
    benzganesh
    Malaysia Malaysia

Lovely, for the refined gentlemen of absolute finesse.

18 June, 2012

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

A refreshing and very likeable soft composition that should work as a perfect example of how it's still possible to make a good "eau" avoiding the tipycal "neroli formula".

Citruses and violet leaf on top, soft woods and spices in the base. Simple but extremely refined. As long as you don't expect a super longevity or any sillage, this is quite satisfying (don't forget this is an "aqua"). To be used without moderation! One of the very few in this genre that I really enjoy! Very Nice.

29 August, 2011

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

For those that love refreshing citrus-based fragrances with that slight masculine touch - Eau de Cartier is for you.

I'm not a big citrus wearer. I prefer to smell it on others rather than on myself. However with that being said, Eau de Cartier is certainly lovely and fresh. Perfect for a hot Summer's day.

The yuzu is an interesting note. I first experienced it in Incanto Bliss by Salvatore Ferragamo, which I think I liked simply because of the yuzu note. So for those that aren't too thrilled with citrusy scents, do try something with yuzu in it and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Eau de Cartier is one of those everyday type of scents. On the skin it feels clean, subtle and comforting.

In some ways Eau de Cartier reminds me of Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana. Possibly because of the citrusy opening and the cedary drydown. I do however love the patchouli note in this fragrance. It is spicy, earthy and delightful.

I did try to love this fragrance, however the masculine citrus note got in the way of that full-fledged love. The lasting power was rather weak as well, which only left me bitterly disappointed. However, as I mentioned previously, both men and women alike, those who love citrusy scents, will most likely love the classy Eau de Cartier.

07 August, 2011

Balvon's avatar
    Balvon
    Lithuania Lithuania

Perfect. He proves that not to be complex to be good. If happiness were the smell was Eau de Cartier him.

17 January, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Refreshingly cool and sparklingly clear, almost aquatic with a tint of herbal green complimenting the hesperidic touch of yuzu. I like EAU DE CARTIER's ethereal composition far better than the similarly yuzu-inspired Angel Schlesser Homme but this very same gossamer-like sheerness makes it a frustratingly fleeting scent to wear on skin. Yes, misting it over your clothes is always an option but it's hardly the most elegant of solutions.

22 December, 2009

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

Is this marvelous juice not done by Ellena??? It's got all the hallmarks of a great and accomplished Ellena's work written all over it. Light yet uplifting, quiet yet beautiful, a scent of lightness and transparency. An absolute ambrosia of a men's scent. Classic indeed.

14 April, 2009

Tedster's avatar
    Tedster

I don't feel like I could pull this off. The only notes I pick up on, are of the flowery type in this fragrance. Its a nice scent, very mellow, smooth, and confident... But not for me. I'd associate it slightly more feminine than masculine. Still, I give it a thumbs up for being a pleasant scent.

27 March, 2009

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

A very fresh woody oriental, I would say, but this is a bit green also. I like this quite a bit better than the Concentrée flanker; I think even though it's not as intense, it has a more floral and less peppery character. Of late, I have found that sharp peppery note less appealing. Not very long-lasting, although the drydown is definitely quite nice. Sillage diminishes as it wears off. The base notes keep this going a little bit longer, and are largely responsible for that really wonderful drydown. Just as true of this as of the Concentrée: Simplicity and transparency have their charms.

27 March, 2009

moxamet's avatar
    moxamet
    Nigeria Nigeria

I wore this 1st time to work, during ward rounds, i kept percieving a strange, pleasant enticing smell around me, but didnt have a clue where it came from, little did i know after few days of usage that it was the EdC that metamorphosed into that lingering redolence of sunny summer picnics, surf boards, Clubbing. By the way try this together with Declaration, it is even more baffling.

Sexy, Unusual, Very Enticing

26 February, 2009

Oyama's avatar
    Oyama
    Brazil Brazil

Extremely fresh ! It matches with Brazil´s climate. They say that Eau de Cartier smells like moonlight. I agree on this statement. I like the musk scent that lasts all day long.

23 February, 2009

Algharb's avatar
    Algharb
    Portugal Portugal

Class - in a classic timeless way! I wear it in special ocasions - feel it would be a waste if out of tune and not the apropriate situation... When? Try it and you'll figure out - if you can't - don't buy it! Also, it's out of leddys range: it's for mature men, to enjoy in a calm manner and never in rush! Always there waiting for me - I hope! One of the best fragrances available in Portugal.

21st November, 2008

drummerboy20's avatar
    drummerboy20

Too many word to describe this.....So im just going to say, wear this with the jeans/shorts, tee/polo, and air forces or tims. This is the kind where you get all "iced up' and fresh, ready to step out, or just a casual day in town, chillin' with friends. This is Issey Miyake's little sister or brother

24 October, 2008

finisterle's avatar
    finisterle
    North Korea North Korea

Light & fruity opening. Not unlike the freshly vibrant air outside a flower shop on a cool morning. Has to be applied richly to be noticed at all though.
    So how good is it ?
    Well; I'd rather smell this than Le Baiser du Dragon, also by Cartier, on a woman.
    So, if chosing among Cartiers, maybe a woman would rather smell this than Must Essence on me ? Quite possible.
    But would I rather wear this than Must essence ? On first impression: no, absolutely not. It simply is: asexually boring beyond belief. But...then you get it.
    It is like when a shy person finally opens his or her mouth and says something delightul in a soft pleasing voice, and you wish they would just go on and on.
    Final verdict: It can put you to sleep. But it will do so in a first class bed.

25 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Nice and subtle and amazing smell. These "Eau de Whatever's" seem to always be a great fragrance though they're almost all alike. Eau de Cartier has this weird yuzu/licorice note that distinguishes itself. Eau de Paco is very comparable to this, lacks the anise note and is stronger. This is still a great scent nonetheless.

10th July, 2008

Middle Notes
    VIOLETS, Musk, Lavender.
    Base Notes
    Amber, Patchouli, Cedarwood.

This is one of my favourite fragances. But it didn't start out that way. First time I smelled it, I lightly misted my arm with it and... nothing. Didn't go anywhere, in fact it seemed to disappear altogther.

So then, I gave several spritzes and BINGO! The scent kicked in a gave such a fantatistic account of itself I couldn't believe it.

The top notes are sharp, airy yet hold themselves with a great deal of dignity. I have no idea what Yuzu smells like on its own, but it doesn't offend here, so I can only imagine it smells nice!

What wins for me here is the interplay of Violets and Lavender. Take away the Violets and this would be a distinguished Lavender scent on its own I think. But it's the interplay with the violets that really takes this a cut above. I disagree with others who have said that the Lavender doesn't last through to the drydown, they do, and so do the violets, all underpinned beautifully with sweet patchouli and cedarwood (can't get the amber, unless that's the warmth of at the ending?).

I've changed the heartnotes in my review from the heartnotes given at the top of the review section because Cartier themselves specify Violets as being one of the key notes for this fragrance. If you like Grey Flannel, you'll love this, because it renders with Violets with the same kind of elegance.

But Eau De Catier has something else about it that just makes it a winner, it is etherial and magical and smells very expensive.

If you don't realise that you really have to APPLY this you are going to miss out on a fantastic fragrance. This is not like, say Un Jardin Sur Le Nil where you have to mist it lightly otherwise you will wipe out civilisations because it's sillage is so great, this you need to apply in proper manly portions.

Once you get the application right, you will find that it has great sillage and longevity.

But heck, just get it, it's fantastic.

05 May, 2008

Stacked_Kat's avatar
    Stacked_Kat

Violets in a wood after clean rain is how this smells to me, as stated it is perfect to wear in close quarters as it sticks close to the skin and becomes your own smell and so totally inoffensive.
    A simple and at the same time an intricate scent it is more complex with the dry down, I always find violet leaves comforting somehow.

14 December, 2007

jimmyfresno's avatar
    jimmyfresno

This fragrance is extraordinary, but a true example of how manufacturers can just slap on names of notes for marketing sexiness regardless of what's in the juice itself. To me, under the kuzu top note, this fragrance rings clearly of peppercorn, pimiento, violet and a woodiness based on the aromachemical iso e super (think Shiseido "Feminite du Bois" or Escentric Molecules "Escentric 01")

It is a loveable, masterfully blended, refreshing scent.

26 November, 2007

jrd4t's avatar
    jrd4t

It's a crisp, green scent with a peppery/woody bite to it. It seems very light with just enough spice and point to balance the lighter notes. It is still somewhat thin, but very nice for daytime wear.

01st June, 2007

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

If all thumbs up is any indication, this is a winner. Love. Can't find anything wrong with it. if you want a decidedly masculine form of this same scent, then go with Versace Man eau Fraiche. For the ladies, go with Dolce Gabbana light blue.
    Highly recommended.

23 May, 2007

melancholic-botanist's avatar
    melancholic-botanist
    Poland Poland

So beautiful! Spacious, crystalline, clean, "teleporting" me into other, parallel life worlds, so cold and bright, shiny. Smells of black pepper + violets + lavender (little). A must-have! I don't detect any citruses. Skin by Trussardi is similar, but warmer, somewhat more feminine.

13 May, 2007

SniffQ's avatar
    SniffQ

A real surprise from Cartier. The musk, cedar and patchouli, which I generally don't care for in a fragrance are well behaved and very well blended.

The opening is crisp, green and stays close to the skin. It develops with a light incense coolness and no floral sticky or cloying overtones.

It is sophisticated, elegant and even when adding the body products, it can be an office scent. I like spraying it on the pillowcases before going to bed.

While I can certainly enjoy it on a man, my body chemistry warms it nicely as a feminine scent.

07 April, 2007

castorpollux's avatar
    castorpollux

This is a very goo scent, it clings to your scent in the sense that even if you shower, you can still get a whiff off of this one. The greens come forward on the top notes to stay with us and it may feel rather lineal but i prefer this in place of a scent that has green that turn sour. Clean , refined,gentle and yes, has a unique smell, this one is a keeper! Good sillage as well.

01st August, 2006

feuermandala's avatar
    feuermandala

extraordinary fragrance. a unique, fresh scent. uniqueness is the definition of shared scents. love it

13 May, 2006

selen's avatar
    selen
    Turkey Turkey

So fresh and so clean. It's perfect for a quick pick-me-up. As we all have memories associated with scents, mine for this one is from my childhood. It reminds me of my mom after a shower. I would walk in to the steamy sauna like bathroom after she was out and the whole atmosphere would be infused with this clean comforting scent. A trail of it would follow her around, making you smile if you were lucky enough to come across her path. I recommend it for women of all ages and for all seasons, because it's always nice to feel fresh.

12 May, 2006