Neutral Reviews of Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

Mehh I dunno with this one.

I was pretty stoked in getting a great deal on a big bottle of this, so I jumped at the opportunity. It's one of the few 90's highly regarded citrus fragrances that I hadn't tried.

The opening of this is gorgeous, it's hard to get much better. Citruses coming at you from every direction. Lemon, lime, mandarin orange. Within minutes though it's gone and becomes a bit more floral. By the 15 minute mark, I am left with this awful synthetic/chemical accord, I'm assuming a very fake oak moss. It's just nasty and doesn't smell real in any way.

In other words, I get 15 minutes of enjoyments out of this fragrance. Maybe vintage is better, or maybe just the same? I am not willing to put out the money to find out. I find this to be a pretty much overrated fragrance. Now if you want something that actually deserves hype, Bowling Green is where to go. Same vein of fragrances, same style, same verbena note, much better dry down, but still not a great dry down. I find that these older designer label citrus fragrances have some pretty bad dry downs, where they begin to smell fake and cheap.

If you can get a bottle of this for under 20 bucks (I paid 15 for a near full 3.4 oz bottle) then it's worth it. Top notes are great, and mid is pretty good too for so many florals to not smell feminine at all. I doubt anyone will say you smell bad once the base notes kick in.. you may not even notice what I am noticing. I am very critical in what I smell, and I am very through in the reviews I do, so people can know what they MAY expect.

So maybe it's just me? A lot of the reviewers, I notice, give this a good review for nostalgic reasoning. Which is too biased, and too unfair for others to read. It sways the reviews way too positive, and that's not what I'm about. All personal opinions aside, and no favoritism from me; this is simply an average fragrance, with a cult following.
05th November, 2017
Bought the reformulation or just the one with the new non-transparent cap and what can I say? I'm disappointed!
It's from 93, so It's pre-ck one and It seems Ck's blockbuster surfed the same wave Eau de Rochas did, when It comes to the lightness of the fragrance. I notice the same "I intend to be clean smelling" vibe.
Initially, It's pretty citrusy, limey-lemony, a bit sharp, then turns (in 2-3 minutes) to a linear soft floral accord whose plain notes I can't distinguish separately. And that's it. Does it stink? No. It won't offend anyone. Is it recognizable? I'm affraid It's not: too generic (especially after ck one and its 1000 clones). Is it distinctive? Definitely not. Anyone wearing a drugstore cologne or axe deodorant will easily overpower Rochas. Sillage is practically none and longevity is weak. It's almost a miracle this one hasn't been discontinued yet.
It'll be the fragrance to be worn when I'm not in the mood for real fragrances.
-- Update 05/11/2014:
I was too cruel with Rochas! It has grown on my skin since my last post. It's getting hotter around here and the limey-limony-soft floral accord is more perceptible to my nose. It's now my casual wearing fragrance, although I still think It's too light.
03rd September, 2014 (last edited: 05th November, 2014)
Eau de Rochas Pour Homme first edition

Luckily I got a Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (vintage? it's from '93! well, pre-formulation at least) on retail, which is sort of a miracle in itself, purchased it primarily because of the raves here on BN and citrus scents are a good fit for the tropics where I'm from. Sadly the hunt and the joy of purchase was a greater high than the frag itself. Citrus yes, but it's also rather bitter and green to me, heavier than I expected, and it does carry a note that makes it feel rather dated (it's from '93 but it feels older than that). Also, there's something in it that rather feels haunting and stale (and no, I don't think I got a bad bottle). It does get a few plus points from me for being distinctive. Will the "vintage" (still can't get over this tag) Eau de Rochas Pour Homme be able to exist in today's aquatic and gourmand-sickeningly sweet frag market? Definitely not. Still a good purchase, but for me, I'm feelin' it for the sake of owning it. For now. Hopefully my nose turns around and gains a better appreciation of it in time (it better, I only have a 50ml!)

21st October, 2013

I ordered a sample of this when getting other decants from PC as I was on a quest for fresh and clean summer scents. Right off the bat it reminded me of Swiss Army classic EdT which I like. It's got a nice citrus and soap opening that is just what I was looking for in a hot weather frag. But like most of these types of scents, it was very fleeting. I got maybe an hour until it dried down to be a light skin scent. Still nice, still refreshing but just not long lasting enough to warrant a full purchase.
28th January, 2013
I agree that this one isn't terribly unique or an interesting take on the light, citrus fragrance... but I'm a sucker for citrus and so I can't say it doesn't work. In addition to Eau Sauvage, it also reminds me initially a bit like Hermes Eau d'orange verte. Wearing it won't have anyone saying, "OH, that's Eau de Rochas!" but it also won't have them saying, "You smell terrible." Balanced (the euphemistic word for "generic") and light, it would get a thumbs up if only it had ONE or TWO elements that separated it a little more from the pack.
04th December, 2006
Generic commonplace citrus fragrance. Not bad, but the fairly similar Eau Sauvage is more masculine, complex and long lasting. A good choice for the fans of neutral daytime wear, inoffensive and very business-class, very professional, therefore also a little unsurprising, official and cold scent. But the variety of existing, classical and conservative citrus male scent, i think that Armani, Gucci, Faconnable, Paco Rabanne, Dior and others brought a much more creative and complex contribution to this fairly simple formula.
20th April, 2006
Eau de Rochas Homme isn’t very interesting or even unique, really. It’s another citrus fragrance that is a little less herbal and a little bit crisper than, say, Eau Sauvage. When it opens it has a slightly bitter citrus rind like accord, and then it dries down to a citrus wood blend. Nothing amazing here, but nothing bad, either.
20th September, 2005