Neutral Reviews of Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Find out more about Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

JackTwist's avatar

Bright lemon opening, supported by basil and rosemary, which dries down to a slightly sour citrus note -as in their later Diorella, which is a copy of Rochas' 1949 men's classic, Moustache.

There's a lot more in this than the spare ingredient listing here suggests. Lemon, Basil, Cumin and Bergamot combine in the top. Jasmine, Carnation, Cardamom and Iris provide the middle. Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Petitgrain, Patchouli, Amber and Musk combine for the base.

Turin gives this five stars and describes it as a citrus floral. There is so little floral in it and mainly undetectable that I would describe it as a citrus chypre. It is really the base for their sparer Diorella, which appeared six years later in 1972. Eau Savage is not as pungent and with more herbal/dry spice support.

Perfectly decent citrus for summer wear, but lacking in originality, hence the neutral rating,

31st January, 2014

bFlay's avatar

I liked this well enough to buy it. Opens with pungent LEMON that is very pure and natural, if a bit overwhelming as that is all you smell. After 30 minutes or so, it softens and an interesting savory herb (rosemary, basil?) projects slightly through the lemon. Lasts at least 5+ hours on skin/clothes.

23 April, 2013

IndianBoyz's avatar

India India

Refreshing, citrus and vetiver. Nothing special really, in fact I think it's boring. Great for the office probably.

29 December, 2011

RonK's avatar

My wife loves this scent, but something in it hits me like... rotten cabbage. Which is kind of amazing since my nose isn't even 1/10 as sensitive as it was when I was younger, and she claims that hers is getting _more_ sensitive with age!

17 October, 2011

Late-Hit's avatar

I've tried it many times, both vintage and new. They are different, of course, but the net effect is always the same... a 'dark' variation of the basic cologne concept, ala 4711.

Now, I like lemony colognes, but aren't there a million of 'em out there? And cheaper, too?

Well, maybe that's true, and maybe it's partly because Eau Sauvage was the first to elevate the wonder of lemon in a masculine fragrance before so many other followed along. There's been a lot of 'eau' under the bridge since 1966.

Eau Sauvage is good, but no longer great.

31st July, 2011

Harvitz81's avatar

Eau Sauvage comes off to me as a classic eau de cologne. Bright, citrusy opening that dries down to a subtle woodsy base with vague hints of the vetiver notes coming through. It is a decent scent, but for the price and similar longevity on me I would opt for GFT EdC, which I feel does a better job at these particular category for a much lower price point.

29 March, 2011

Redbeard's avatar

I'm trying to review these side-by-side, unfortunately on a fairly cold day...

The "latest" old version (light brown cap, darker juice) is sharper and more bitter, featuring a harsher, almost aged lime which is adulterated with some kitchen herbs. The new version (silver cap, lighter juice) is lighter and crisper even in the top, and features a paler, admittedly somewhat "wussy" lime that somehow retains more sparkle, and is decidedly cleaner. The brown cap version changes into a darker piney green which I find musty and unfriendly, but the silver cap version changes into something very modern and transparent. It's a creamy citrus and wood scent that I really like, and ironically remains noticeable longer to me than the nominally heavier brown cap version. A slight but happy sweetness emerges in the base, whereas the brown cap just becomes more rancid and spiteful.

Ultimately, I feel like the brown cap version smells dated, whereas the silver cap is contemporary and approachable, and reminds me of the drydown of the latest version of Guerlain Vetiver (which is both stronger and less expensive). Both are weak enough not to be worth the unusually high prices that this stuff seems to fetch for a designer scent. In the end, the light reedy wood drydown of the silver cap version wins for me, but I'm not sure whether Eau Sauvage in general deserves a victory.

15 May, 2010

stoavio's avatar

Longhair said it best: "it reminds me of my childhood. I have smelled this before, on whom I don't recall, but it was always a pleasant experience".

It does bring to mind associations of a mature gentleman, a father or grandfather, and due to this I'll be taking a pass. At 22 years old, I think this is a fragrance I'll have to revisit in another 20 years.

I'll leave the note analysis to more sophisticated noses but suffice it to say on me, it smelled mossy with a tinge of alcohol. Like a fresh out of the shower with a refined aftershave applied smell. Comforting. I think the basil is this scent's signature. The dry-down gave me a totally different impression than smelling it on the paper strip.

10th April, 2010

MrFragranceReview's avatar

It's a really done fragrance and initially I liked it. Although as time passed it grew less and less on me. It has to be the vetiver that comes out because I just do not like that note. If I did I would most likely end up purchasing this. Other than the vetiver I do really like it. Although definitely not a hit with today's modern crowd. It has a "dated" feel to it and so far every girl (18-28) that has smelled it on me have said it smells like an old man cologne. Definitely the vetiver.

06 February, 2010

ortho123's avatar

There's no REFORMULATION that inspires this reaction in me quite like Eau Savage. "He was always great for all these years and now this...we never knew."

Yeah, the problem is in the middle, and efforts to reel in the topnotes crowd (and cheaping out and regging out?) have turned it into in the best case scenario: a summer scent?

Seriously I am literally so bored with retries, trying to get back to what it was and as we frequently say "trying to like this" but the trajectory of this masterpeice was ending up a summer scent...with an offputting middle.

Yeats might have written in his later years:

Once Refinement tumbled into bed;
    Now the sheet is half-drawn:
    Joy faked, death not...

Masterpiece summer scent?

28 November, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

The first whiff is nothing short of a 'WOW!' Kudos to Roudnitska for the purported use of hédione to add extra zest for this is arguably the best citrus opening bar none. Unfortunately for me that is the best part of EAU SAUVAGE, all 15 minutes of it. I don't get any florals, not even a fleeting note of jasmine, just a mossy herbal mixture with a rather dated, musty feel - a strong vintage vibe reminding me of the scent's history as a fragrance favored by gentlemen circa 1960s-70s. Alas, the much talked-about charms of Eau Sauvage escape me. Perhaps another 5-10 years may grant me the insights to fully appreciate such a well loved classic.

20th October, 2009

robpmgc's avatar

Nice citrus opening. An hour later, I smell something resembling own body odor, as if I had been hitting tennis balls for an hour. Not long enough to get stinky, the smell of sweat as it is happening. It's the herbs, I assume. It's not unpleasant, per se, just a bit unsettling, and not something I would want to wear very often.

17 July, 2009

ksaskiw's avatar

A classic cologne with lemony top notes drying down to musky vetiver. Wears close to the skin and not long lasting. Herbal tones mixed in with the lemony citrus as well. Like the smell of citrus but not sure if Eau Sauvage is really me.

08 May, 2009

LiveJazz's avatar

Updated review:

I gave this one another chance, and my opinion of it has improved slightly. The topnotes truly are beautiful. I get more lime and than lemon, and this combined with the basil and rosemary smells outstandingly natural, refined and pure.

But after about an hour of pleasure, there is just something about the way the moss and citrus and the basil mix that just doesn't sit right for me! The basil starts smelling wilted and old. I'm really beginning think it's my skin, because I don't get any jasmine to speak of, and rather than vetiver, I just get a damp, stale mossy note. It turns harsh and bitter and sour, with some sweaty animal notes thrown in. I'll give it a neutral for the topnotes and because I really suspect that it might be excellent on the right person.

24 July, 2007 (Last Edited: 08 October, 2009)

snifferdog's avatar

It's nice enough... but smells way too old-fashioned... too much like a man who's counting down his days in a nursing home.

The overall feeling is reasonably pleasant, but perhaps a little too sharp on the citrus and lacking in the warm depth that more modern fragrances have.

24 April, 2007

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I sort of get the name, it's a bit like being in the wilderness among the herbs and lemon trees... It's a cultivated wilderness though, full of edible plants. It has also a very conventional feel of gentleman's cologne which is everything but savage. The citrus is not refreshing, it's aromatic, and I do think I can detect lavender in there too. I'd go so far as to call this a fougère. Not bad - I enjoy the herbal, dry, almost woody quality of it - but not exceptional either.

23 April, 2007

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Not for me. Smells as if I spilled a cup of herbal tea mixed with lemon on my hairy chest.
    It's a pity there weren't 'unisex' frags back then; this smells much better on women, esp the jungle tigress types. One good thing about it, it's not absolutely foul like it's "extreme" variant. Pass on this classic.

13 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Lynn Faust's avatar

i ordered a sample due to the responses i read. i even posted a community blog to ask ladies which fragrances for men they like on themselves. I thought i'd give eau sauvage a try.

i put it on my skin and a strong citrus scent was present. vey lemony... then it dried down to a faint smell, and very quiclky. in about 10 to 15 minutes, i had a faint soapy smell on me that soon disappeared completely. I would say overall, if that last scent remained on my skin, the scent would not have been so bad, but it was truly gone, nothing.

02 December, 2006

Bakerloo Line's avatar

Another one of my very first tries. I think my dad may have worn this when I was very young - it reminds me of the 60s. I'm not in any hurry to try it again, mind you...

03 August, 2006

Dave_D's avatar

Eau Sauvage is a truly great scent, classic. I would agree with the oft mentioned longevity issues, very short lived.

14 June, 2006

QuietEarth's avatar

Upon testing this, I thought it had a great lemony fresh ZZZZING! opening. Almost eye-watering on the card. I thought it would be quite zippy on my skin. So I tried it, then brought some. I doused myself twice in one day (once after morning shower, once at lunchtime), expecting to be teary-eyed from all the zest, and lo and behold - it faded very quickly away to almost nothing. Within an hour or so, all I had was a VERY feint sense of freshness, or at least, not a sweaty unpleasant man smell. Verdict: great smell! But unfortunately, my skin soaks it up to nothing! A crying shame, given all the rave reviews here! I'm still keeping it - It's winter at the moment and I'm hoping perhaps it will do something different in summer...

12 June, 2006

Lincoln63542's avatar

Not sure if I shared my opinion with this forum about Eau Sauvage by CD. If I did, then excuse me. If I didn't, here it goes: Not my cup of tea, dude!. There is a note, present from the very top notes to the drydown that really puts me off. I found better choices out there...

26 May, 2006

Frederik's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

This is a nice clean scent, but it disappears after 15 minutes. Even my eau d'hadrien lasts longer.

17 April, 2006

Rashkae's avatar

Very old. Very classy. Nowadays, very unique. Too bad the smell of soap after my shower lasts longer than this.

18 January, 2006

JJ21's avatar

Even though this may be considered a "classic", I can't give it a full thumbs up. I like the lemon/citrus notes and the overall theme, but would have enjoyed it more if it had evolved differently. I wear this once in a while, and that's fine.

14 January, 2006

teflondog's avatar

Topnotes remind me of lemon grass, which I really like. But it later turns into a one-dimensional lemon scent on me. It's a decent citrus scent, but it's nothing that will blow your socks off. Sure it's a classic, but I honestly don't think it's something to write home about. If you like scents like Armani Eau Pour Homme and Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, then you might like this.

29 December, 2005

roland's avatar

Eau Sauvage is a sparkling citrus that has become a classic.Wonderful grapefruit.However it has serious longevity issues and virtually no sillage.Hence,I recommend a more modern interpretation of this,Boucheron pour homme.

25 October, 2005

Magnifiscent's avatar

Eau Sauvage is a crisp citrus that starts slightly stingy of rosemary needles and has a good projection. But it quickly turns sweeter thanks to basil which confers a green sweet edge. Here the citrus becomes round but still ethereal though its projection fades and vetiver appeads in the drydown as a whisper under the lemontrees. This timeless scent has class but it is not particulary masculine and lacks of staying power.

13 September, 2005