Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Find out more about Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ClarkScent's avatar
    ClarkScent

When I want to feel like I'm the only person wearing a fragrance within 100 miles I wear this. Creator Jacques Polge said "Egoïste is about seduction". Bingo.

04 April, 2014

del's avatar
    del

I fell in love with the current formulation of Egoiste the first time I smelled it. The initial blast might be a little harsh or “edgy” to some, but it only lasts for a short time. The overall scent is smooth & warm, spicy & sweet, and woody… the complexity of rose, cinnamon, vanilla, and sandalwood creates a well-blended creaminess of Egoiste. It is top notch. Egoiste has a lasting power on my skin with decent projection after that brief, strong opening.

Chanel Egoiste is a unique masterpiece – a fantastic fragrance I can’t be without.

03 March, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

I guess this was the signature scent of a load of WASPs and yuppies back then. Even if personally this kind of "fresh", super-safe and elegant scents is not exactly my cup of tea, and surely there is (and was) more interesting stuff around, still it's a good, well-made, refined and sharp fragrance.

7,5/10

30th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2014)

Ayala's avatar
    Ayala

I would hardly consider anyone wearing Égoïste selfish - anyone around you is going to enjoy it too!

Égoïste is the younger and louder brother of the demure, soft-spoken and old-fashioned Bois des Îles. It opens with a burst of dry yet sweet melange of woods, citrus and spice. It actually reminds me of another favourite 80's fragrance, which is also drenched in sandalwood: Samsara (which reportedly had a glutenous 40% Mysore sandalwood). There is no true separation between top and heart and base as they weave in and out in different phases of the perfume. At first, there is the clarity of bois de rose (rosewood), the led-pencil shaving association of Virginia cedarwood, and the sweet citrus burst of tangerine and a sprinkle of sweet cassia. There is also a hint of eugenol, not quite clove like, but softer - perhaps form carnations. Underlying notes of coumarin backed up with a generous dose of vanilla absolute. There is something about true vanilla absolute that is simultaneously woody and animalic, quite unlike the cupcake frosting character of vanillin. Égoïste's vanilla really brings this out with some help of both indole and leathery animalic notes. which add interest. It is quite well balanced between sweet, bitter, smooth, spicy and powdery - although admittedly leaning towards the sweet more so than I would have expected (or remember the original to be).

The sandalwood is not as creamy as its sister Bois des Îles (probably because what I have in my hands is a rather modern version, very unlikely containing any Mysore sandalwood) - but that also gives is an edge somehow - it's warmer and more spicy and dry than I remembered it from a few years back. It seems to be accompanied by Atlas cedar's suave fruitiness, and perhaps even a splash of violet-y ionones and plum and rose notes from damascones.

Beware: Egoiste Platinum has nothing to do with it besides the name, and is the only version you'll find in Canada and the USA, and to my nose it smells like generic sporty aquatic chemical trash. But it has a wonderful ad as well!

22 January, 2014

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

Candied fruit floating on top of dry sandalwood.

A little too candied for my taste - I place it as the scent of an unwashed person just before he or she begins to stink - just on the verge of cloying, never quite going over the edge, just teetering there.

I did not find it either remarkable, or memorable, except in the above negative comparison.

I can see why Luca Turin thought this resembled a Guerlain creation more than other Chanels. There is a resemblance to the base of their men's scents.

Not for me.

09 January, 2014

lairdangus's avatar
    lairdangus

Sandalwood, cinnamon, rose perfection!

OVERALL RATING: * * * * * (masterpiece)

There is a lost world inside a bottle of vintage Egoiste, a forest of authentic Mysore sandalwood. Creamy, plush, deep, dense, dark, exotic. Sandalwood is quite possibly the crown jewel in the subcontinent's vast treasury of spices and fragrances.

You can't buy it anymore. Over-harvesting led the Indian government to place strict prohibitions on it for a generation. The stuff you see listed as "sandalwood" in perfumes today is either an impoverished Australian cousin or a synthetic approximation of the original. Sadly, neither comes close.

Egoiste is my absolute favorite winter fragrance. Putting on a few spritzes in the deep of a midwestern January enlives my senses and my spirits, and reminds me that the sun will return soon enough. Freezing rain and grey skies give way to the cinnamon hills and muddy rivers of southern India. When I was a child, I naively wondered why Europeans were so intent on obtaining spices from "the Indies." Could pepper, salt, sage, and cinnamon really be worth the cost, the risk? I found the answer as an adult in Egoiste.

This is one of those rare fragrances that is almost literally intoxicating. I can feel the endorphin cascade each time I sniff my wrist.

The reformulation is not terrible. In fact, it is better than 95% of what is on the market today. But it is like humming your favorite tune--it rarely gives you the chills like hearing it played in stereo. The modern version opens smokier, drier, and somehow thinner than the original.

I have yet to try the almost-impossible-to-find Concentree, but it is universally beloved.

Other reviewers have compared Egoiste to its "mother," Bois des Iles. Yes, they are quite similar. And I also love Bois des Iles (which reportedly makes use of Chanel's existing stockpile of Mysore sandalwood), but not nearly so much as Egoiste. The mother is more refined and elegant. She sparkles. The son is wild and free. He glows.

Pros: perfect winter fragrance
    Cons: vintage is getting hard to find"

03 September, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

Class and elegance

Why Chanel named Platinum Egoiste as a flanker for L' Egoiste, I will never know. The two, to me, spell nothing alike. Platinum is sicky sweet, coying, and smells trashy.

This is class in a bottle (trite as that may sound). It is my go to cologne when I want a bit of a boost for work, want to feel a wee bit more competence on a day when doubt may be creeping in.

It is one that is hard for me to describe; yes sandalwood and spices that mix together seamlessly. I get the reference to creamy.

Not on that I can wear too often, and it feels better to me in cooler weather. Great stuff.

------

Today I could not even wear this; its a moody one at times, or perhaps, I am the one who is moody.

27 August, 2013

prosperonline's avatar
    prosperonline
    Brazil Brazil

Wondeful woody fragrance

Chanel Egoiste is very true to its time but nevertheless not dated at all. It is woody but so smooth and classy that is hard to realize it is sandalwood and rosewood you are smelling. Creamy wood with warm spices and I cannot get the cinnamon note in itself but as a part of the blend. I was a little concerned about it being to close to Gucci pour Homme II but they are worlds apart. After the woods the most proeminent note is rose, the same rose as in burberry Brit and Charriol Royal Platinum. In the dry down it gets a little sweeter with amber and vanilla and tabacco. Hoever the woods stay all the way until the very end. also it reminds me Caron Le 3em Homme which for me is a good barbershop scent but Chanel Egoiste is no barbershop. It has the same feeling but more refined and upper class. My bottle is from september 2012 and it seems quite soft in projection. Two sprays in my arm twice for testing give me the impression more of a skin scent than a powerhouse. But it goes far, about 8 to 10 hours on my skin. Egoiste is defenetly a gentleman's fragrance as gentlemen used to be and I feel it deserves a special wearing for special occasions. It is also very Franch, like pain au chocolat.
    No, thare is nothing to do with Platinum Egoiste. Perhaps that's why they changed the original name, Egoiste Platinum, because it is clearly not a flanker of Egoiste.

Pros: I think it is light enough for Summer evenings
    Cons: The 2012 bottle doesn't seem to be that strong"

23 August, 2013

MrSniffer's avatar
    MrSniffer

Sweet Scent Sweet Memories, Culture in a Bottle

I first bought this blind at the PX at Schofield Barracks Hawaii in 1992, I had met a nice Swiss tour guide the night before and we had a date planned for that evening, I was a 25 year old soldier looking for something that might hold up well to some dancing and sweating, something that might be a little more adult than the Drakkar Noir I wore all through college. I gave it a double pump in my room and headed out for my date with Monique (or Mo-knee-kay as I pronounced it trying to sound worldly). She liked the scent, so that counts for a lot. Fast forward 21 years to a new old bottle of Egoiste, I gave it a squirt and the olfactory reminiscence was like a movie in my mind. The sweet initial fragrance, ripe and spicy settles into a lush dry down of vanilla and ...something, it's a smell that attaches itself to your memories and it's a scent that wears as well (or better) in my middle years as it did in my youth.

Pros: Every woman I know has loved the way it smells on me (always a pro in my book)
    Cons: I'm a big fan but maybe the "sweetness" can be off-putting

22 June, 2013

Gary F's avatar
    Gary F

Unique and Wonderful!

How absolutely unique this fragrance is, and how wonderful! I never thought that smoky and creamy could live together in the same bottle, but they do. Great longevity, as with all of the Chanels I've tried, and priced very well (again, for a Chanel). I will never be without a bottle of this!

Pros: Smoky and creamy at the same time
    Cons:

20th June, 2013

Superlekker13's avatar
    Superlekker13

Oooh, a blast from the past. I first got this in the early 1990's in a cute miniature bottle (these were the days when samples were essentially miniatures).
    I loved it then, and I love it now. It smells clean and citrusy at first, but then warm and sunny, and really sophisticated. Stays on for hours. Perfectly good for girls to wear, on a man, I'd find it almost a little girly, although I would have no problem with a boyfriend wearing this because it just smells so good.

It seems it hasn't changed much over 20 years but my fragrance memory is not perfect. I would go for the Classic Egoiste any time, the Platinum version is cheap toilet water compared to the original.

25 April, 2013

's avatar

Spicy sandalwood. Delicious.
    Dries down to a balanced sandalwood which is actually heavier than the Bois des Iles drydown.
    Suitable for mature men and for colder months, this will not disappoint anyone.
    I prefer Bois des Iles to Egoiste because it smells more creamy in the base.
    So if you like Egoiste, the next step to try is Bois des Iles.

13 March, 2013

MysteryBuff40's avatar
    MysteryBuff40

Chanel's Egoiste strikes me as Old Spice made with higher quality ingredients and less sweetness. I'm surprised more people don't make this connection. It opens with a bit of citrus and rosewood then quickly gains spiciness with cinnamon, carnation and rose before it dries down into a vanilla powder. Comfortable to wear like a favorite sweater. I'd classify this as a unisex fragrance, very well made, but certainly not a masterpiece.

10th March, 2013

charger's avatar
    charger

Up until now I had only sampled Egoiste Platinum which I don't like. But I finally tried the original and was blown away. The opening has spicy pepper, a bit of bitter orange and a really nice spicy ginger. Wow this stuff is amazing! The dry down keeps the spices going and adds a bit of smoky vanilla. Now I understand the rave reviews, I am really enjoying this scent. Reminds me of a cozy Christmas Eve.

08 January, 2013

ducaticorse's avatar
    ducaticorse

smell vintage version and easy to say one of the most disgusting cologne I've ever smelt!

03 December, 2012

Marais's avatar
    Marais

A superb blend of rose and sandalwood, with a tasteful pinch of subtle spices. Timeless, smooth and sophisticated. Excellent longevity. One of my top favourites.

04 October, 2012

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

It's perfection in a bottle. Well maybe not. If it was a pitcher in baseball it would be a no hitter with a walk. It's blended masterfully, but you can smell every note in it. It's not overly complex, but what it delivers is a perfect balance. It's floral, but masculine. It's woody, but doesn't smell synthetic or boring. It has a sweetness, but never becomes cloying. The only slight flaw is that the rosewood can be a bit overbearing to some. That would be the walk. You can wear this year round, but this really shines in the fall. Masterpiece.

27 September, 2012

ANDRE BELEZE's avatar
    ANDRE BELEZE
    Brazil Brazil

I am a collector and passionate about fragrances and inside my collection with about 120 fragrances can say that Egoiste is the number 1 and there is none that can compare to it at least to my knowledge fragrâcias is something inexplicable, a fragrance God that was made by the nose of a master, I am sad to have known Egoiste a little late, but now I want to enjoy every moment of this masterpiece, every moment, every change in my skin, and only a true olfactory perfection, not let today a review of its more technical notes, but I only speak of her beauty that not everyone can appreciate.

28 August, 2012

Excellent959's avatar
    Excellent959

Timeless creamy masterpiece.....It's a shame that macy's and dillards only carry and are pusing the platinum version on us, which is nothing like the original, avoid at all cost. Went straight to chanel.com and they shipped with free 2 day air and 2 samples in a beautiful chanel bag wrapped in tissue paper. Nice to see, that there are companies like chanel, which treat people like customers. I'm not working for chanel, just felt the urge to compliment them. Also don't have to go into detail, on what it smells like, there are people on the forum, who can do a much better job describing. Do me a favor and sample, you'll fall in love all over again :-)

26 July, 2012

chopwet's avatar
    chopwet
    Switzerland Switzerland

After quite some time I get a lovely sweet tobacco basenote on my skin, reminds me of the smells of those cherry and vanilla tobacco cigars you probably bought as a young 'un.

24 July, 2012

schwrtz5's avatar
    schwrtz5

One of the few scents I have had to wash off. I was drawn to it by the name, disliked the first whiff, sprayed myself with trepidation, waited a half hour, smelled again, gave up, Very disappointing.

20th May, 2012

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

This fragrance is a real surprise. It starts as a nice opening of wood and some citrus, but then develops into a warm fragrance, with a wood-and-rose drydown that develops onto a sandalwood basenote with a vanilla that is beautifully balanced and never in the foreground. This makes Egoiste less sweet than, for instance, Creed's Royal Delight and much more wearable in daytime, although it is also a great evening scent. I prefer it in cooler climes and seasons. Good sillage with a great longevity of about ten hours. One of the great classic bold but balanced scents.

15 May, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar
    noirdrakkar

A sweet, warm, woodsy and spicy male fragrance.

Despite being released not too long ago, it has the spirit of the older more traditional power fragrances of the 50's and 60's. It's very masculine and it is not for people looking for a light or moderate scent. Some people will absolutely love this, others will absolutely hate this. There's not much middle ground.

Since it is VERY powerful, I suggest only one spray.

Recommended age group: 30 and up (or maybe 25 and up, but not really for the high school / college audience).

Still, a classic.

10th May, 2012

senore01's avatar
    senore01

This is a real man's fragrance. Not the watered down, half feminine type of scents which the younger guys are accustomed to. Egoiste is what a cologne was meant to me. Lasting power, masculine, robust in character.

23 April, 2012

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Oh, how delicious! Egoiste you are divine. Why this fragrance is not sold in Australian stores is something I am still questioning.

At first spray, I could have sworn I smelt raisin toast smothered in butter and jam. Egoiste opened rather gourmand-like, spicy and sweet. The raisin bread smell stuck around for awhile, however the spices became much more prominent and bold.

Egoiste has quite a mesmerizing spiced fruit smell, further highlighted by a rich, Bulgarian rose note. On my skin this fragrance doesn't smell masculine at all, in fact it could pass as a feminine fragrance quite easily. Its somewhat fascinating sugary-ness is really captivating on my skin and I can see myself wearing this alot during Winter and Autumn.

I find this fragrance quite sexy and wild. I like that no inhibitions, 'take me as I am' attitude that this fragrance so cleverly conveys. Egoiste has this beautiful warmth created by the spices, (in particular the cinnamon), counteracting with the rose, vanilla and dried fruits.

The sillage and lasting power are the final touches which seal the deal on this outstanding fragrance. Chanel's masculine offerings, are in one word, masterpieces.

20th April, 2012

oillio's avatar
    oillio

The spicy warm top note is very unique.
    And the woody drydown compliments the initial spice very well.

09 April, 2012

drakecito's avatar
    drakecito
    Spain Spain

One of the best made fragances even made!!!. A classic.
    Very oriental with a bit of citruss opening.
    Lasts about 24 hours on muy skin.

If you like light fragances like Carolina Herrera, Hugo Boss etc... you don't like this...

25 February, 2012

barclaydetolly's avatar
    barclaydetolly

It took me a while, but I've finally warmed up to Egoiste. When I first started wearing cologne, I went through a little tester and didn't find anything special (not sure what I was looking for back then), but a few months ago tried it again. Now it's one of my favorites. Luca Turin says it smells like candied fruit, and I do get that; it also has a spicy, creamy sandalwood base that comes out over time. I think it's a wonderful fragrance, and I would even say it's in my top five right now. This doesn't smell "trendy" at all, but good smells are timeless.

07 February, 2012

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

This is a great woody and spicy fragrance.
    Great woody notes mixed with beautiful aroma of cinnamon and some floral notes. yummy! :)
    Some say this fragrance smell dated but it's not. I'm around 29 and I love this scent on my skin.
    Very good projection and longevity.

29 January, 2012

ThrowingShade's avatar
    ThrowingShade

This is such a great scent for me, after all these years. Now that I'm older it seems to last much longer than when I was younger. Love it!

24 January, 2012