Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Thumbs up for longevity and sillage.
Perfect office perfume: sprayed in the morning and I can feel it on me after 5 hours (this doesn't happen with many other frags incl. many recognised longevity/sillage champions). The opening is a bit of harsh/poisonous for me, but after a could of minutes great sweet (mostly) and spicy scent is developed and stays for a long time.
It's not so young, however - but so am I.
Great frag to approach you're 50's...
24th September, 2015 (last edited: 26th September, 2015)
Tested from a 2ml sample yesterday and today.
Lovely fresh spicy, cinnamon and I thought powdered dry ginger too. At any rate the first impression is like opening the door of a sweet spice cupboard.
The last time I wore this was in the early ninetees. I can say I recognised it certainly, but also felt it's not the same, slightly less full and heavy. But still lovely.
After the first spicy blast, the intoxication starts: suddenly rose, fleetingly appearing adding romance then vanishing again and again. And fresh tobacco and a bit of vanilla adding sensuousness.
It's masculine, luxurient, decadent and lazy-slow sexy. I often say about sweeter, spicier, warmer scents that I find them irresistible but I'd prefer to smell them on someone else. Not this one. This one's for me. It has a sort of soporific, sensuous effect. I wouldn't wear this for the office! For me it's about (I imagine....) lounging luxuriently in the bedroom with a bottle of wine, decadently too early in the day.
Sillage and longevity just moderate for me, but that's fine for this kind of scent.
Did I like it enough to buy? Within an hour of first spray yesterday I'd been online and ordered a 100ml bottle. :)
August 2015
16th August, 2015

EGOISTE is a nice companion to a professional life-style year round and shines best on the confident,classic men.A class act in a bottle.Fresh yet spicy.In other words Sophisticated,Magnetic, Timeless,Romantic,Masculine and Classy.

The woody base is perfectly complemented by Spicy top notes and rich heart and these making my favorite male fragrance by CHANEL a ideal fragrance for an evening out when you simply want to be your best.

In my opinion this CHANEL EDT is for the discriminating gentleman or a men with undoubted sophistication and maturity.It is really a noticeable scent and perfect for SPECIAL/INTIMATE occasions. HIGHLY recommend and you won't regret.

Longevity?Superb on my skin.

13th June, 2015

My all time favourite... A smooth melange of spices, woods and dusky rose with a sprinkle of sparkly aldehydes. Like chai and champagne...
14th May, 2015
Egoiste by Chanel is slowly grown to become one of my favorite Chanel fragrances. When I first tried Egoiste the spices and florals in the opening were quite strong and I judged the fragrance from inexperience and so I really didn't give the richness of the scent a chance to develop. After much reading and exploring I came back to Egoiste during a search for a masculine rose scent. I found I was completely wrong about this fragrance and to be fair, I was somewhat confused by the Platinum Egoiste flanker, (if one could label Platinum as a flanker.). Egoiste is a warm oriental, with a rose dominant heart that has just enough spice lingering from the heavier opening to make the rich rose scent tilt towards masculine. A sandalwood and vanilla base adds to the softness as well and gives the dry down a powdery effect, almost trademark of Chanel scents. Average sillage, but excellent longevity.

I've come the conclusion that Egoiste didn't fit the mass American market tastes, and thus Platinum Egoiste was developed, which is sweeter, warmer and less floral. In fact, most U.S. retailers don't even carry Egoiste, so thus my conclusion. I prefer Egoiste over Platinum, but both are excellent fragrances and represent Chanel's refined quality.

I'm changing my opinion and give Egoiste a Thumbs Up.
13th May, 2015 (last edited: 16th September, 2015)
Egoiste has a pungent, acidic opening but softens into a pleasant intersection of woody, spicy, musky, and sweet notes. Rosewood, cinnamon, vanilla, and musk (probably synthetic) are all detectable, though the note list is more extensive.

It strikes me as androgynous as the same manner as Dior Homme Intense (which I tried yesterday for the first time in a while) in that's reminiscent of makeup/cosmetics counter smell, though I can't particularly place notes that make this the case. It's more of a cold weather scent, though much like Dior Homme Intense, it probably has all-year and day/night application. Versatility would be a key selling point for this, even though it aims for seduction more than the board room, perhaps.

Projection and longevity are both about average for an EDT, as it lingers more than a foot away but has already faded significantly within the first few hours of wearing.

I'm not overwhelmed by it and that it leans a little feminine makes it somewhat less appealing. Just not the unisex I'm going for, but a stimulating scent worth trying, for sure.

7 out of 10
24th February, 2015 (last edited: 27th February, 2015)
Vintage vs reformulated:

Vintage Egoiste (not Bois Noir though) is a very dark and spicy fragrance.I can definitely call this oriental. The main notes are sandalwood, cinnamon, vanilla, rose, rosewood, tobacco and leather. It's rather unisex but there are prominent masculine notes like leather and tobacco (at least on my skin). It's a real powerhouse so max 3 sprays are appropriate.

It was reformulated around 2011 and the newer version has some rubbery accents. Compared to the vintage it's kind of flat, obviously not so powerful and much milder. It can be easily used by women - it's a true unisex in my eyes.

I haven't sniffed the juice from the new shape of bottles though.
16th September, 2014
I had a weird experience: I tried Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur in the morning. I wasn't crazy about it. Then in the afternoon, I tried Egoiste, which I like so much that I have a current bottle and a vintage bottle from eBay. I kept getting Rose-vanilla wafts of MdM all afternoon. I finally figured out that it was the Egoiste. Guerlainade and Egoiste are pretty similar! Apart from that chance combination, I don't think I ever would have made the connection.

Coming back to trusty Basenotes, I see that JackTwist says the same thing, and he cites Luca Turin as also agreeing. So if you're curious about discontinued Guerlains, you can find out something about them by trying Egoiste.

I personally like Egoiste much better. I think it's less dandified and more modern, while still being restrained and elegant.
01st July, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

I have an odd relationship with the scents Chanel markets to men. I can appreciate Antaeus, Pour Monsieur, and Égoïste, but not love them. I’d much sooner wear Cuir de Russie, Cristalle, Eau des Îles, Bel Respiro, Sycomore, or No. 19. (I won’t stoop to consider such obviously cynical concessions to mass appeal as Platinum Égoïste and the Allure Homme clan.) When composing for men, this house often adopts a tightly reigned-in style that aims for dignity, but arrives instead at a kind of over-starched propriety. Even the comparatively flamboyant Antaeus leaves me with a mild sense of ennui.

Égoïste is a very pleasant, well-constructed oriental scent with that maintains a gratifying balance between stewed fruit and warm spices before drying down to a suave accord of sandalwood, amber, and vanilla, but I never find myself compelled to reach for it. In a fragrance of this weight and style, I prefer a touch of strangeness or an animalic twist, whereas Égoïste evolves properly and predictably over its course. A matter of personal taste, I admit, but I remain uncompelled.
13th June, 2014
Jacques Polge's proudest achievement.

Chanel Égoïste is a fragrance that is really special, it really doesn't smell anything like 80-90% of male designer fragrances out there. I believe that if this were released today it would be considered niche, and cost perhaps up to twice as much as what it does. I would go as far as to say that this is a masterpiece of male perfumery, probably the most confidant, mature and elegant masculine release of the last generation, and one of the greatest perfumes for men of any time, whether considered niche or designer.

Égoïste is the embodiment of a confidant, masculine, spicy oriental, and Chanel perfumer Jacques Polge (who has done every Chanel perfume since 1981) has called this his proudest work. I can see why. This fragrance doesn't remind you of anything else advertised for men out there. It's the complete opposite of the generic, sterile-clean aquatic releases which have almost saturated the designer market today. It is rich, deep, elegant, strong, confidant. It makes a statement of quiet confidence and assured masculinity. It's really for the man who is strong and assured yet who is loved by all. The strong man with a kind personality, I would call it.

The story goes that this was a fragrance meant for the Chanel CEO at the time, as a private scent for him. Later, they released it to the public. It didn't sell, because the majority of people like to buy fragrances which remind them of other fragrances (just look at the aquatic craze of the last 20 years). Chanel Égoïste smelt nothing like anything else at the time. Nevertheless it survived, and even today still has the same effect.

Jacques Polge based the composition on Chanel's "Bois des Iles", a heavy sandalwood-based fragrance released 5 years after the famous No. 5. Égoïste is also centred around creamy sandalwood, which is surrounded by spices: Cloves, Cinnamon, Coriander. It also has a beautiful rosewood note which is joined by real, natural smelling Rose, and sharp Carnation in the middle (this is what some have called the "dated" aspect of the fragrance); before finally drying down to a wonderfully warm and creamy Vanilla-Amber-Sandalwood base. I find it very similar to Coco, which he made for women 6 years previously, except a lot more woodier, spicier, and overall more masculine.

It's absolutely beautiful, but very hard to appreciate because it doesn't smell like many of today's popular releases, and for many people, this will either be love or hate. It's warm, bold, spicy... and it takes confidence to wear. If I had to compare it to anything, it would probably be Frederic Malle's "Musc Ravageur" which is a deep, spicy and sensual fragrance but marketed as niche.

Chanel Égoïste might not be for everyone, it takes an amount of confidence and maturity to pull it off (it would also work very well on a woman I think), but it really is a special journey... and a complex one at that. I have a real feeling that 70-80% of people will love this (women especially on a man). It's warm and inviting, but also confidant and relaxed at the same time. Like stroking the warm, beautiful fur of an exotic, tame pet tiger...

I hope that Jacques Polge's proudest creation stands as a testament to all that is possible with male marketed perfume, and show that not all male fragrances have to smell the same or conform to the same standard set by others. I hope that this classic will always be there as a reminder that men can wear something created for them which is just as complex and beautiful as anything made for women; and to also prove that men can give off an aura of being strong, confidant, warm and gentle simultaneously. Nothing more can be said of Égoïste. Well done!
30th April, 2014
When I want to feel like I'm the only person wearing a fragrance within 100 miles I wear this. Creator Jacques Polge said "Egoïste is about seduction". Bingo.
04th April, 2014
del Show all reviews
I fell in love with the current formulation of Egoiste the first time I smelled it. The initial blast might be a little harsh or “edgy” to some, but it only lasts for a short time. The overall scent is smooth & warm, spicy & sweet, and woody… the complexity of rose, cinnamon, vanilla, and sandalwood creates a well-blended creaminess of Egoiste. It is top notch. Egoiste has a lasting power on my skin with decent projection after that brief, strong opening.

Chanel Egoiste is a unique masterpiece – a fantastic fragrance I can’t be without.
03rd March, 2014
I would hardly consider anyone wearing Égoïste selfish - anyone around you is going to enjoy it too!

Égoïste is the younger and louder brother of the demure, soft-spoken and old-fashioned Bois des Îles. It opens with a burst of dry yet sweet melange of woods, citrus and spice. It actually reminds me of another favourite 80's fragrance, which is also drenched in sandalwood: Samsara (which reportedly had a glutenous 40% Mysore sandalwood). There is no true separation between top and heart and base as they weave in and out in different phases of the perfume. At first, there is the clarity of bois de rose (rosewood), the led-pencil shaving association of Virginia cedarwood, and the sweet citrus burst of tangerine and a sprinkle of sweet cassia. There is also a hint of eugenol, not quite clove like, but softer - perhaps form carnations. Underlying notes of coumarin backed up with a generous dose of vanilla absolute. There is something about true vanilla absolute that is simultaneously woody and animalic, quite unlike the cupcake frosting character of vanillin. Égoïste's vanilla really brings this out with some help of both indole and leathery animalic notes. which add interest. It is quite well balanced between sweet, bitter, smooth, spicy and powdery - although admittedly leaning towards the sweet more so than I would have expected (or remember the original to be).

The sandalwood is not as creamy as its sister Bois des Îles (probably because what I have in my hands is a rather modern version, very unlikely containing any Mysore sandalwood) - but that also gives is an edge somehow - it's warmer and more spicy and dry than I remembered it from a few years back. It seems to be accompanied by Atlas cedar's suave fruitiness, and perhaps even a splash of violet-y ionones and plum and rose notes from damascones.

Beware: Egoiste Platinum has nothing to do with it besides the name, and is the only version you'll find in Canada and the USA, and to my nose it smells like generic sporty aquatic chemical trash. But it has a wonderful ad as well!
22nd January, 2014

Candied fruit floating on top of dry sandalwood.

A little too candied for my taste - I place it as the scent of an unwashed person just before he or she begins to stink - just on the verge of cloying, never quite going over the edge, just teetering there.

I did not find it either remarkable, or memorable, except in the above negative comparison.

I can see why Luca Turin thought this resembled a Guerlain creation more than other Chanels. There is a resemblance to the base of their men's scents.

Not for me.
09th January, 2014
Sandalwood, cinnamon, rose perfection!

OVERALL RATING: * * * * * (masterpiece)

There is a lost world inside a bottle of vintage Egoiste, a forest of authentic Mysore sandalwood. Creamy, plush, deep, dense, dark, exotic. Sandalwood is quite possibly the crown jewel in the subcontinent's vast treasury of spices and fragrances.

You can't buy it anymore. Over-harvesting led the Indian government to place strict prohibitions on it for a generation. The stuff you see listed as "sandalwood" in perfumes today is either an impoverished Australian cousin or a synthetic approximation of the original. Sadly, neither comes close.

Egoiste is my absolute favorite winter fragrance. Putting on a few spritzes in the deep of a midwestern January enlives my senses and my spirits, and reminds me that the sun will return soon enough. Freezing rain and grey skies give way to the cinnamon hills and muddy rivers of southern India. When I was a child, I naively wondered why Europeans were so intent on obtaining spices from "the Indies." Could pepper, salt, sage, and cinnamon really be worth the cost, the risk? I found the answer as an adult in Egoiste.

This is one of those rare fragrances that is almost literally intoxicating. I can feel the endorphin cascade each time I sniff my wrist.

The reformulation is not terrible. In fact, it is better than 95% of what is on the market today. But it is like humming your favorite tune--it rarely gives you the chills like hearing it played in stereo. The modern version opens smokier, drier, and somehow thinner than the original.

I have yet to try the almost-impossible-to-find Concentree, but it is universally beloved.

Other reviewers have compared Egoiste to its "mother," Bois des Iles. Yes, they are quite similar. And I also love Bois des Iles (which reportedly makes use of Chanel's existing stockpile of Mysore sandalwood), but not nearly so much as Egoiste. The mother is more refined and elegant. She sparkles. The son is wild and free. He glows.

Pros: perfect winter fragrance
Cons: vintage is getting hard to find"

03rd September, 2013
Class and elegance

Why Chanel named Platinum Egoiste as a flanker for L' Egoiste, I will never know. The two, to me, smell nothing alike. Platinum is sicky sweet, coying, and smells trashy.

This is class in a bottle (trite as that may sound). It is my go to cologne when I want a bit of a boost for work, want to feel a wee bit more competence on a day when doubt may be creeping in.

It is one that is hard for me to describe; yes sandalwood and spices that mix together seamlessly. I get the reference to creamy.

Not one that I can wear too often, and it feels better to me in cooler weather. Great stuff.

Today I could not even wear this; its a moody one at times, or perhaps, I am the one who is moody.
27th August, 2013 (last edited: 16th May, 2014)
Wondeful woody fragrance

Chanel Egoiste is very true to its time but nevertheless not dated at all. It is woody but so smooth and classy that is hard to realize it is sandalwood and rosewood you are smelling. Creamy wood with warm spices and I cannot get the cinnamon note in itself but as a part of the blend. I was a little concerned about it being to close to Gucci pour Homme II but they are worlds apart. After the woods the most proeminent note is rose, the same rose as in burberry Brit and Charriol Royal Platinum. In the dry down it gets a little sweeter with amber and vanilla and tabacco. Hoever the woods stay all the way until the very end. also it reminds me Caron Le 3em Homme which for me is a good barbershop scent but Chanel Egoiste is no barbershop. It has the same feeling but more refined and upper class. My bottle is from september 2012 and it seems quite soft in projection. Two sprays in my arm twice for testing give me the impression more of a skin scent than a powerhouse. But it goes far, about 8 to 10 hours on my skin. Egoiste is defenetly a gentleman's fragrance as gentlemen used to be and I feel it deserves a special wearing for special occasions. It is also very Franch, like pain au chocolat.
No, thare is nothing to do with Platinum Egoiste. Perhaps that's why they changed the original name, Egoiste Platinum, because it is clearly not a flanker of Egoiste.

Pros: I think it is light enough for Summer evenings
Cons: The 2012 bottle doesn't seem to be that strong"

23rd August, 2013
Sweet Scent Sweet Memories, Culture in a Bottle

I first bought this blind at the PX at Schofield Barracks Hawaii in 1992, I had met a nice Swiss tour guide the night before and we had a date planned for that evening, I was a 25 year old soldier looking for something that might hold up well to some dancing and sweating, something that might be a little more adult than the Drakkar Noir I wore all through college. I gave it a double pump in my room and headed out for my date with Monique (or Mo-knee-kay as I pronounced it trying to sound worldly). She liked the scent, so that counts for a lot. Fast forward 21 years to a new old bottle of Egoiste, I gave it a squirt and the olfactory reminiscence was like a movie in my mind. The sweet initial fragrance, ripe and spicy settles into a lush dry down of vanilla and ...something, it's a smell that attaches itself to your memories and it's a scent that wears as well (or better) in my middle years as it did in my youth.

Pros: Every woman I know has loved the way it smells on me (always a pro in my book)
Cons: I'm a big fan but maybe the "sweetness" can be off-putting

22nd June, 2013
Gary F Show all reviews
Unique and Wonderful!

How absolutely unique this fragrance is, and how wonderful! I never thought that smoky and creamy could live together in the same bottle, but they do. Great longevity, as with all of the Chanels I've tried, and priced very well (again, for a Chanel). I will never be without a bottle of this!

Pros: Smoky and creamy at the same time

20th June, 2013
Oooh, a blast from the past. I first got this in the early 1990's in a cute miniature bottle (these were the days when samples were essentially miniatures).
I loved it then, and I love it now. It smells clean and citrusy at first, but then warm and sunny, and really sophisticated. Stays on for hours. Perfectly good for girls to wear, on a man, I'd find it almost a little girly, although I would have no problem with a boyfriend wearing this because it just smells so good.

It seems it hasn't changed much over 20 years but my fragrance memory is not perfect. I would go for the Classic Egoiste any time, the Platinum version is cheap toilet water compared to the original.
25th April, 2013
Spicy sandalwood. Delicious.
Dries down to a balanced sandalwood which is actually heavier than the Bois des Iles drydown.
Suitable for mature men and for colder months, this will not disappoint anyone.
I prefer Bois des Iles to Egoiste because it smells more creamy in the base.
So if you like Egoiste, the next step to try is Bois des Iles.
13th March, 2013
Chanel's Egoiste strikes me as Old Spice made with higher quality ingredients and less sweetness. I'm surprised more people don't make this connection. It opens with a bit of citrus and rosewood then quickly gains spiciness with cinnamon, carnation and rose before it dries down into a vanilla powder. Comfortable to wear like a favorite sweater. I'd classify this as a unisex fragrance, very well made, but certainly not a masterpiece.
10th March, 2013
Up until now I had only sampled Egoiste Platinum which I don't like. But I finally tried the original and was blown away. The opening has spicy pepper, a bit of bitter orange and a really nice spicy ginger. Wow this stuff is amazing! The dry down keeps the spices going and adds a bit of smoky vanilla. Now I understand the rave reviews, I am really enjoying this scent. Reminds me of a cozy Christmas Eve.
08th January, 2013
smell vintage version and easy to say one of the most disgusting cologne I've ever smelt!
03rd December, 2012
Marais Show all reviews
A superb blend of rose and sandalwood, with a tasteful pinch of subtle spices. Timeless, smooth and sophisticated. Excellent longevity. One of my top favourites.
04th October, 2012
It's perfection in a bottle. Well maybe not. If it was a pitcher in baseball it would be a no hitter with a walk. It's blended masterfully, but you can smell every note in it. It's not overly complex, but what it delivers is a perfect balance. It's floral, but masculine. It's woody, but doesn't smell synthetic or boring. It has a sweetness, but never becomes cloying. The only slight flaw is that the rosewood can be a bit overbearing to some. That would be the walk. You can wear this year round, but this really shines in the fall. Masterpiece.
27th September, 2012
I am a collector and passionate about fragrances and inside my collection with about 120 fragrances can say that Egoiste is the number 1 and there is none that can compare to it at least to my knowledge fragrâcias is something inexplicable, a fragrance God that was made by the nose of a master, I am sad to have known Egoiste a little late, but now I want to enjoy every moment of this masterpiece, every moment, every change in my skin, and only a true olfactory perfection, not let today a review of its more technical notes, but I only speak of her beauty that not everyone can appreciate.
28th August, 2012
Timeless creamy masterpiece.....It's a shame that macy's and dillards only carry and are pusing the platinum version on us, which is nothing like the original, avoid at all cost. Went straight to and they shipped with free 2 day air and 2 samples in a beautiful chanel bag wrapped in tissue paper. Nice to see, that there are companies like chanel, which treat people like customers. I'm not working for chanel, just felt the urge to compliment them. Also don't have to go into detail, on what it smells like, there are people on the forum, who can do a much better job describing. Do me a favor and sample, you'll fall in love all over again :-)
26th July, 2012
After quite some time I get a lovely sweet tobacco basenote on my skin, reminds me of the smells of those cherry and vanilla tobacco cigars you probably bought as a young 'un.
24th July, 2012
One of the few scents I have had to wash off. I was drawn to it by the name, disliked the first whiff, sprayed myself with trepidation, waited a half hour, smelled again, gave up, Very disappointing.
20th May, 2012