Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Find out more about Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

barclaydetolly's avatar

It took me a while, but I've finally warmed up to Egoiste. When I first started wearing cologne, I went through a little tester and didn't find anything special (not sure what I was looking for back then), but a few months ago tried it again. Now it's one of my favorites. Luca Turin says it smells like candied fruit, and I do get that; it also has a spicy, creamy sandalwood base that comes out over time. I think it's a wonderful fragrance, and I would even say it's in my top five right now. This doesn't smell "trendy" at all, but good smells are timeless.

07th February, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A fantastic woody spicy fragrance for a mature man with great quality.
    First of all, this fragrance smells classic but It doesn't smell dated. If you are under 30, i think this fragrance is not for you. you better be around 30 and up to use this fragrance. but anyway all depend on your taste. If you like a mature fragrance, go for it because it's a great one.
    As you can see in the votes, this fragrance start with very natural and beautiful scent of cinnamon, sandalwood and brazilian rosewood.
    You can easily detect these notes because they are really well balanced.
    It's strong at the opening, but it's not in your face and harsh. as I said, very well balanced.
    There are some sweetness and floral note from rose in here but not too much.
    In the dry down you can smell those woodsy and spicy notes, but not as strong as the opening and a little more sweetness and some tobacco note which give this fragrance a little smoky vibe.
    The smell doesn't change too much in the base.
    Good projection and above average longevity.

29th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2014)

ThrowingShade's avatar

This is such a great scent for me, after all these years. Now that I'm older it seems to last much longer than when I was younger. Love it!

24th January, 2012

Bmar_g's avatar

I was introduced to this fragrance by a German girlfriend. The only difference being that she gave me the Cologne Concentree rather than the EDT. I have had little luck in locating the CC in the last few years and am down to my last half bottle. If anyone has a source they would share, I would greatly appreciate it.

07th December, 2011

Xqizit's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

This was the first bottle i started my collection with, i bought it blind based on the positive reviews it had gotten.. was really excited, got home took a sniff and i really didnt know if i could wear this. it smelled kinda like those weird wooden fans and stuff u often find in asian houses.. i really hated it tbh.. but i kept wearing it wearing it, i cant really stand the opening if i put my wrist close to my nose, but just letting it do its thing without oversniffing myself i got a very pleasant woody florally spicey sweet scent which would actually be the drydown later.. longevity is good i actually just sprayed myself 2hours before going to bed woke up in morning put on la nuit de l'homme and now that la nuit is gone, i still catch whiffs of egoiste from time to time, projection is moderate could smell myself for 4 hours when applied to chest.

gg chanel gg.

26th October, 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Egoiste opens up with a heavy wood aspect accompanied by a spicy aroma which trough time enters into agreement with rose, but not a pure rose, in here we have a semi-sweet one, thanks to the appearance of a light vanilla.

A rich fragrance, dense with a woody chord mixed with spices in a wonderful combination which makes me think about the edible aspect of Ambre Narguilè. Egoiste does not remembers at all his younger brother Platinum Egoiste which I also love. Do not blind buy it just because you enjoy platinum and they share the same name.

09th October, 2011

Safetyjon's avatar

I tried Egoiste at a duty-free store at an airport in Puerto Vallarta. I sprayed it on my wrist and was immediately impressed by the opening...tangerine and rosewood...I could detect coriander...I though I detected cinnamon (which I love), but don't see it listed in the pyramid. Yes, I was impressed. But I've been impressed by great openings before. I wanted to see it evolve before I committed to buying a bottle.

I got on the plane to return to the U.S. I kept smelling my wrist...I couldn't stop. It just got better and better. When it evolved to the base of sandalwood and vanilla, I was in love. This was the one. It was sandalwood/vanilla done right. It was perfect.

I purchased a 3.4 oz. bottle shortly after returning to the U.S. I had to have it. I remember the first time I sprayed it on my neck and chest and the wonderful aroma wafted up into my nostrils. I'm a fragrance collector and have tried many, many fragrances. But I've never felt something like this. I was in love. This is the feeling I had been searching for, but had never found. I had found my "Holy Grail".

Months have passed and I still feel the same way about Egoiste. It's never exactly the same as the very "first time". But it's still an experience...still an event. I try not to wear Egoiste more than once a week. I could wear it every day...I really could. But I patiently wait, rotating in different fragrances, building up anticipation...knowing that soon, very soon, I will be able to experience love again...

26th August, 2011

jtd's avatar

A nice woody-fruity fragrance will be at least somewhat attractive to 75% of those who smell it. It is undemanding and hits the right buttons. It’s like a blooming flower in this respect. Who actively dislikes jasmine or rose? Egoiste uses this moderate prettiness to gear up to striking beauty.

Egoiste is a pseudo-oriental that beat the Lutens ‘new oriental’ Feminite du Bois to the fruity/cedary punch, but replaced restraint with largesse. Where you might admire FdB with a “well done” you just want to ooch Egoiste’s cheeks squealing “you are TOO cute!” FdB has a growing harmony that is a function of its radiance. Egoiste is a big diva-like melody with built-in backup singers.

Egoiste composes an accord that hits all the right tones we love about sandlewood---vanillic, creamy, fruity-sweet, at once rounded and sharp. I find the actual woodiness, though, to be a cedar, rosewood and musk blend of perfect pitch paired with vanilla and who knows what else. I think Egoiste has survived since the 1980s fully intact, despite the sandlewood drought, because it emulates sandlewood the way Guerlain’s Nahema calls to mind a rose: by employing a superb chemical geometry to create an olfactory allusion. The herbal touch completes the picture and creates a medicinal tone that keeps the sweet creaminess from crossing the line to toothaching.

Egoiste makes me wonder (other than exceptions such as Dior Homme and Guerlains’s Heritage) why designer men’s fragrances don’t strive for beauty instead of tolerating the low expectation of skimpy, vernacular handsomeness as a goal.

19th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th September, 2011)

Swanky's avatar

Although the scent pyramid above doesn't list leather, to me it seems to be a prominent element of this scent. It is not the dusty strain found in Cuir de Russie for example. See Truefitt & Hill's Spanish Leather for a similar treatment of the note.

I believe Chanel has created one of the great men's fragrances of the post-classic (pre-90s) period and it's influence is still visible in something such as Sexual Sugar Daddy today. That said, Égoïste manages to still be a unique member of the fraternity. The sillage is top notch and longevity is steroidal. If there is such a thing as "Essential Fragrances," this should be on that list. Fine work from Chanel.

24th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd May, 2012)

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

A Masterpiece , complex , nothing could be compared with it. it evolves and evolves.. especially the dry down is awe sum.
    The First or probably the last Chanel which i love.

12th May, 2011

chet31's avatar

Pleasant enough going on, but for me, dries to a sour spicy base note. I will give it credit for differentiating itself among the multitudes of department store fragrances but doesn't work for me.

29th April, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Despite I used to think the original Egoiste commercial was a bit too sexist and (slightly) ridicolous, I still find this composition to be incredibly compelling and enjoyable. Candied fruits, woods and spices on a vanilla base. A perfect oriental fragrance that's constructed on a accurate balance between sweetness and warmness. Among my favorites from Chanel, an epic release to check out if you're not already familiar with it.

27th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th September, 2011)

usemyname's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Just an OK scent. It doesn't evoke any deeper feelings in me. An unremarkable scent.

29th March, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Autoritative and commanding, this bold classic must have in its blend something that, going beyond the spices, the woods, the dry fruits, the flowers and creams, turns itself in to such an unapologetic and notorious concoction. Something slightly dirty, may be bitter or earthy/dissonant that at first sniff i thought could be a stressed tobacco note supported by a traditional and masculine lavender, provided the latter in order to soften, refresh and water down the woody-oriental elements, i'd like to tell in other words the Egoiste's landmark "scotch-zabaglione". This bold, almost acid, macerated, syrupy undertone that pushes up the charisma reproducing in my perception a smokey (tobacco flavoured) kind of olfactory element, i think is appointed by the combination of tangerine, lavender, tonka and above all cinnamon. The latter is the key element side by side with brazilian rosewood, damask rose, hints of tobacco and vanilla. Only God knows anywhere whether is somewhere effectively hidden a not listed note of tobacco or tonka bean that my still profane nose keeps to perceive. The sour opening provided by orangy tangerine and lavender, just a bit tamed in its bitterness by the rosewood of the top, exudes its effect till the packaged final product, playing its role in to performing the bitter, seasoned, bold spicy Egoiste's vibe. In this phase the scent is still tart and a bit kind of resinous. An arrogant rose gets in play now, starring and selfish, in the middle of the aromatic water, flanked by coriander and cinnamon in order to create a smokey-floral liquor ready to dive its substance in the creams sink. In this phase i've the sensation to smell something similar to tobacco and i'm ready to drink the liquid irish creamy liquor of the final outcome. The dry down indeed is really smooth and silky due to creamy sandalwood and to woodsy, musky, bit animal ambrette seads. A wonderful concoction, retro and bohemian but still modern nowadays. A classic anyway, a mutable, humid woody-oriental fragrance with a rooty-syrupy aftertaste, a creation that features a main peculiarity, its distinguishable (somewhat unique) temperament.

23rd March, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th February, 2014)

Harvitz81's avatar

Égoïste opens up with nice oriental fruit and spicy notes. It dries down after an hour or so to a nice balance of sandalwood and vanilla notes with a tinge of amber. I get more vanilla than anything and wish the sandalwood notes were more pronounced.

This really reminds me of L'Occitane's Eau De Bavx, which I prefer much more. I do like the Égoïste, but it has too much overlap with what I have now, and for the price I prefer what L'occitane has to offer.

21st March, 2011

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

I do actually understand people who absolutely dislike fragrances in general, but I don't understand any perfume enthusiast who doens't love this particular one.

Easily one of the most compelling oriental's ever made. Herbs, spices, balsams, smoky vanillic woods and candied fruits...Everything just spot on.

Powerful, long lasting fragrance which is very unisex, although curiously I've been told a couple of times that it smellt very masculine on me.

Nothing wrong with the current bottles, but if you can, try to find one of those original EdT splash bottles.

17th March, 2011

MarshallLaw's avatar

I was a very young boy when this came out on the market, maybe 13 years old. All I knew was Chanel made Coco, which my mom wore. I was very curious. This was my first fragrance and now I am knee deep in niche parfums!!! All that aside, I am happy to see Chanel.com still sells this online. I would rather buy it from the source. While I did try looking at various Chanel stores, they only sell it on the Internet. Back to my story...I was gifted Egoiste by my mother. I loved the commercials and wanted to know what fragrance was all about. Seeing it was my first, I didn't know about notes or different terms. I thought all EDTs were that sweet. While it must have been strange for anyone sitting by me at Phantom of the Opera or Les Miz, I felt empowered. I pulled out my old bottle yesterday. It took me back. This was my first scent and I wouldn't change that for the world. It's not a matter of being young and not knowing...it's about the journey. Egoiste will always move me. This is my favorite fragrance commercial to date!

16th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th March, 2011)

sniffer64's avatar

I received this as a part of a gift basket at a charitable auction. When I first tried it, my reaction was "whew, that stuff is strong and stinky". After a few years, and an increasingly educated nose, I gave it another shot. It is a masterfully blended fragrance, powerful, and lasts at least 24 hours.

Unfortunately, it doesn't develop very well on my skin, which I blame more on my body chemistry than this fragrance.

09th March, 2011

colormechris's avatar

I think all things considered and based solely on all the fragrances I've smelled during my lifetime (and that's a mere fraction)....but having tried most of the men's classics...I would say that this is sheer perfection. It is simply the finest, most perfectly balanced, most beautiful masculine fragrance I've ever smelled. Strangely, it's not my favorite. It's not something for everyday. But damn, if it isn't everything a perfume is supposed to be.

05th March, 2011

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I tried this today and I love it!! Awsomely sophisticated and masculine fragrance. Class in a bottle.

21st February, 2011

Jack Hunter's avatar

Well I have finally bought this legendary fragrance after sampling it and it was a instant love.

It has a dark fruity accord that morphs into a beautiful masculine rose smell. After a time you start to notice the beautiful creamy Sandalwood and finally many hours later you will pick up the vanille basenotes.

Not only is this scent beautiful to smell but it is so well blended that it morphs into the notes mentioned above. Sometimes the rose smell is in prominence then the Sandalwood so it never leaves you bored.

A fantastic fragrance that deserves it's mythic status.

19th February, 2011

Shifty Bat's avatar

Sleek, sexy, well-blended, well-designed, slightly spicy, very attractive, and ultimately- boring.
    Egoiste is like feeling anger or resentment toward somebody you see that looks unrealistically attractive. It seems unfair at first, but then you get to know them and find that they are a vapid bore and you feel better about yourself and move on. It really is a good scent, but after about two hours of wear I invariably want to put on something else. I thought I would love this because of my fondness for masculine roses, but it's just not present enough.
    L'Egoiste is an undeniably high quality scent good for well-groomed metrosexual guys but given the choice I'd like something with a little dirt thrown in. I'm glad I tried this, but I am thankful every day for my bottle of Minotaure.

EDIT: Time must first make a fool of me to make me wise. Egoiste is exactly the type of scent I want in my stable - woody, musky, rosy, and not too sweet- and for a long while I wrote it off. Perhaps I had to gamble and lose with more scents I thought would make the cut before I appreciated it. Maybe I just didn't have the nose to appreciate the craftsmanship at first. Most likely, though, I was probably caught up in searching for the bombastic and striking, and so glossed over the subtle beauty at work here. I am truly impressed that such a calm and simple scent lasts and projects the way Egoiste does. It is almost an exact parallel to my initial response to real sandalwood oil; I expected an explosion of rich scent and was punished for my impertinence. As for the above portion of my review I understand now that sandal-based frags are prone to disappearing from the nose of the wearer but can actually increase in strength with time. Egoiste is like a space shuttle of sandalwood, propelled by aromatic citrus and coriander musk, eventually ejecting its exterior parts after they've carried it far and long enough, leaving the core of vanilla, sandal, and rose to explore the external atmosphere.
    Now, I could very well have just said, "I was wrong," but that wouldn't do justice to the journey toward my understanding and appreciation of this construct. This is exactly why I revisit all the fragrances I collect. Much like with well-written cinema, it's easy to miss the details the first time around.

02nd February, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2014)

Dex87's avatar

Hungary Hungary

god! love it. miss it. want it!
    best ever! Seriously

31st January, 2011

KillerScent's avatar

If you want to smell like a 60 year old woman this is your scent . I have noticed a similar scent from many older women.
    Disgusting fragrance, I don't find it any manly, the rose note is overdosing and it is what turns this fragrance into a woman smell.

22nd January, 2011

Redbeard's avatar

This was the first of its ilk that I had encountered, and I was pretty blown away. Very sweet, slightly creamy wood with a bit of something like horehound or sarsaparilla. It strangely reminds me of bubble gum rather than root beer, but it's only got a little bit in there and it mostly goes away. Now, smelling it again, it makes me think of wintergreen too much...I don't remember this from before, but it may be because my decant is losing solvent and the juice is now more concentrated. Later, when I discovered Trumper's Sandalwood, that seemed like the logical replacement because the Trumper's doesn't have the sharp edges that I gradually discovered with Egoiste. It's still good, but I'm not sure I'll replace my dying decant. I might even argue that AOS Sandalwood would fit the bill as well, even though the smell isn't actually that close. (Or the cheapo Coty Wild Spice, but don't tell anyone!) I admittedly enjoy having it on me, though.

20th January, 2011

MOONB's avatar

For some reason Chanel refuses to distribute Égoïste to department stores here in the Northeast. It's a shame, because I would have tried it sooner. Luckily I happened across it in a duty free shop. Égoïste's discreet citrus and rose-imbued top darkens within fifteen minutes, entering a lush middle phase of stewed autumnal fruits - hints of plum, apple, and cranberry, although all abstracted in typical Chanel fashion, very fuzzy and nice. There's a touch of cinnamon, and then I'm inhaling the plushest sandalwood since Creed's Green Irish Tweed. That's what Égoïste has going for it. Unfortunately, it's not quite enough.

If Chanel were to rally their marketing team around a masculine fragrance with legs - i.e. something that actually moves its wearer instead of just complimenting his own movement, they'd reenter the competitive contemporary perfume world and conquer it. They're that capable. Égoïste is disappointing because it's a ghost, a money-scraper from a bygone era that holds its own in a crowd, but doesn't stand apart. It ought to be discontinued and replaced with something that wears ragged biker's leather instead of a three-piece suit.

20th January, 2011

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

aromatic,spicy-classified as woody-spicy.
    very intense,powerful ,loud and overwhlming scent.
    i dislike the intense smell of coriander,amber and cinnamon.
    it reminds me of these oriental scents, as obsession by calvin klein, opium by yves saint laurent.

14th January, 2011

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I think that Egoiste would be better classified as an Woody Oriental Fragrance than a Spicy one. And this would explain why Egoiste generates love or hate reactions. He`s a good oriental one, very close to what you would see in a oriental marketed for women`s.Egoiste is based on Bois Noir, a commercial flop from Chanel that was launched in 1987 and only available for a short time at Chanel stores. The original Bois Noir was more focused on the sandalwood creamy and sweet aroma, while Egoiste is more complex and less round on that specific facet. The opening is itself already sweet and woody, because of the Brazilian Rosewood aroma, and the sweetness is softned by the lavender. The middle notes seems to create a contrast of a dry-flowery aroma and a dried fruit impression, while the heart note is a complex combination of amber, vanilla and sandalwood with some tobacco in it. Egoiste is rich, with a dandy aura that men are not used, and that shocks you on the first time you smell it. The more you wear it, though, you see how unique and quality stuff is this. Egoiste, compared to Bois Noir, has more complexity and a intensified dandy aura. Both are awesome, but i think i still prefer Bois Noir smooth aroma and the legibility of its aroma. But, considering that it`s almost impossible to find it, Egoiste is a respectable heir of it.

27th December, 2010

kpsunil's avatar

Smells like rotten fruit. Reminds me of various home made fruit juice (or "squash" as we used to call it) from my childhood in the East. Not something I want on my body!

18th December, 2010

Grottola's avatar

Well folks, it seems due time (Winter) to review a fragrance that that I've known since I was a child.

Egoiste is a men's fragrance that I believe every man with an interest in fragrances should at least try or get to know in his lifetime. I don't necessarily think it's the kind of scent that will "WOW" you on first sniff - although it can be - but I do believe this scent is very easy to get into, and enjoy without qualms. It is unique. It is one of the main reasons Chanel is my favorite house. Unfortunately, though, it is getting harder and harder to find, and is getting lost in the shadow of its younger brother, Platinum Egoiste, which I find funny, because Egoiste is a much better scent. Oh well, such is marketing.

The scent itself is a slightly sweet, woodsy scent that is oriental in tone. Roses, yes. A bit of cinnamon and nutmeg in there, too. I don't like coriander, generally. Coriander is cilantro, and I don't like it in my food or my fragrances. It works here without a problem. A very comforting dry down leads to a soothing, creamy sandalwood and vanilla base. Are you a fan of Gucci Pour Homme II? Then you'd like this, probably.

I believe that Egoiste is a very pleasant, comforting scent. It is unique enough that a man can choose it for a signature, and yes, I find it quite masculine despite the sweetness. The only problem I have with it is the inability to find it easier. Oh well. Also, the longevity and sillage are great, as expected. It is discreet, but lasts a while. This creates a warming aura rather than a cloud of powerhouse sillage. So, if you get the chance, please try Egoiste, gentlemen, (and ladies too, if you wish!) this is one of Jacques Polge's high points. One of my all-time, top favorite scents. Best for the cooler weather, and works for formal to casual events.

09th December, 2010