Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Find out more about Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ArthurFerreira's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Delicious fragrance. Pure delight for many hours.

01st September, 2010

Brutus's avatar

The opening is a tasteful and minimalist but rather demure interlacing of very subtle, powdery rose and coriander, with a delicate woodiness in the background. This is in fact the fragrance itself in a nutshell. I do get the tangerine at the opening, but it is nestled far in the recesses and disappears with the onset of the fragrance's middle trajectory. The sandalwood comes in rather early and sits like a scented oriental fan atop the vanilla linen lining the table on which the composition stands, rather like a crystalline vase holding a single rose, a rose whose stem is immersed in a very pale ruby-colored water that flickers with light as one moves about it. Is this fragrance sexy? Not nearly as sexy as say, Caron's Third Man, to which it seems to me like a spectral cousin. The fragrances have a faint structural similarity. The delicate, isolated rose which makes the centerpiece of Egoiste can be detected amid the shadowy pool of purples, deep blues and scarlet florals that makes up the heart of Third Man; and the sandalwood and vanilla base of Egoiste finds a seductive and complex counterpart in the musk, cedarwood, patchouli and vanilla depths of Third Man. This comparison might seem a bit of a stretch to some familiar with both fragrances, but I can't help but mark the recollection of Third Man each time I rub a bit of Egoiste into the back of my hand; rather, Egoiste seems to me like a pale memory of the passion of Third Man. A rogue lover in mourning, almost. I prefer to take on the vital spirit of the rogue himself.

25 July, 2010

AnimaSola's avatar

I bought this when it first came out and I could not get past the strong coriander smell. I love coriander in food, but in this fragrance it is overdone.

24 April, 2010

Nihilist's avatar

this egoiste is very honest.

im not one for a total dismemberment of a scent, note by note, unless theyre obvious, like vetiver. that being said, egoiste is so well blended in it opening i cant discern what may be what. and in a show of the afformentioned honesty, that exact smell will maintain for hours.

the highlight for me is an extended transition from mid to base, intermittant at first, then constant with growing presence. i believe the vanilla starts to take a whack out of an unrelenting scent, quite a trick and very interesting given how tenacious the opener tends to be here.

taste being totally subjective, who knows what you may think. however, i personally enjoy egoiste a great deal. sillage is more than sufficient, longevity as well, and it is flat out well crafted. you could so easily do far, far worse.

this is in my top three orientals, along with gucci envy, another well crafted scent fans of this would probably enjoy as well.

19 April, 2010

jbr's avatar

Some fragrances have the power to lift you up - in the case of Égoïste, quite literally. Whenever I wear Égoïste I cannot help but feel as if I am walking taller, prouder, with my head held high. Égoïste says that you are the best smelling person in the room, you know it, and you want others to know it too. Gorgeous, spicy, honeyed sweetness from top to bottom, with radiant but never overpowering sillage and longevity to match. In a league of its own in the realm of masculine perfumery, matched in my opinion only by a select few others, notably Chanel's own Antaeus. A remarkable and singular fragrance.

21st March, 2010

Le Grand Duc's avatar

Denmark Denmark

This was my first true love.

I was 15, wanted to try out something more extravagant than mere AXE!
    I went to my local perfumerie, and told the saleslady, that I wanted something
    spicy and heavy. She sprayed me on some Égoïste, and I was sold!
    I know now, that it must have been hugely unflattering on such a young boy,
    and that she must have been a poor salesperson to even suggest it to me.
    But I am forever gratefull that she did, it has been my signature scent ever since.

With that said, it's not a frag for everybody. It's quite flamboyant.
    Don't get scared off by the very harsh topnotes, they'll soon damp off,
    and leave a delightfull vanilla'ish smell, that will last you hours and hours.

A true classic ... but please, no blind buys, as it will displease some of you!

I'll give it two thumbs up ... three if I could!

01st March, 2010

micci's avatar

Kenya Kenya

What can you give a man who has everything? Chanel's L'Égoïste pour homme!
    A timeless classic, the epitome of masculine elegance and class.

29 January, 2010

Relent de Chevalerie's avatar

I bought this one thinking that I needed to pamper myself a bit. In traditional Chinese culture, people refrain from doing this, reserving it for others to do so. Spoiling oneself was regarded an act of egotism. With this in mind and smiling at my silent pun, I, once again, made a blind buy. You’d be perfectly right to think so, anyway, as I bought this one knowing not much else about Chanel than its renown.

I like the smell but must say that it stays extremely close to my skin. I mainly perceive a faint hint of rosewood, transforming itself into a different rose that I now know to be Damask Rose and coriander, thanks to the pyramid above. By the time it reaches drydown, it has become almost imperceptible on me. Perhaps the spectral smell of sandalwood and vanilla? I can’t tell if it’s my imagination wanting it to be or if it’s truly there. Adding to my disappointment, its longevity is really short on me.

I must confess that I bought the Platinum version. Some would say that it definitely is the reason why it’s so timid in contact with me. Or, perhaps, it is the perfume that is egotistical and wants to keep everything to itself? Who knows? One thing for sure, should the opportunity arise, I am now on the lookout for a chance to try the non-platinum version. If I ever find a bottle, I’ll definitely try to see if it’s more generous towards me before buying it.

17 January, 2010

scatman69's avatar

All I get out of this fragrance is a spicy woody smell that does not go away, followed by a migraine. The first time I wore it, I got past the long opening and really did enjoy the vanilla drydown, but I tried wearing it a few following times and had to change/ wash off.

11th January, 2010

bokaba's avatar

Egoiste was not much better than I expected it to be or was it worse. With the exception of Pour Monsieur and Eau de Cologne, most Chanel scents for men have disappointed me thus far. Egoiste was no different although superior to Platinum Egoiste, which is a different story altogether. There is very little progression in Egoiste--it is a sweet fruity accord flanked by spices and some sandalwood. Not great at all.

11th December, 2009

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Elegant, proud, a bit narcisistic that is Egoiste! Sillage great, longveity unquestionable. If you're not an egoist, you might turn into one wearing this ;)

30th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2010)

brrrry's avatar

I absolutely love this. I appreciate something new with almost every wearing. I don't really care for vanilla frags that much but this one stands out to me. I will always have a bottle in my drobe and will be really upset when my vintage bottle runs empty.

22 November, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

One of the smoothest sandalwood scents I've encountered, with an almost buttery feel to the drydown. The elegantly composed Égoïste is yet another reason why Chanel is held in such high esteem.

17 November, 2009

KIG's avatar

During the 90’s I admired it. Then, I thought it was bit on the sweet side. Nowadays, I can’t get enough.
    Is it sweet, or bitter and smoky?.. I guess it depends on your perception. Vanilla can be too sweet, rose can only be used by a master, otherwise it's usually too candy like, especially when aiming for the masculine version.
    Longevity and sillage are spectacular.
    Absolutely mesmerizing, and one of a kind. One of the best ever created.

31st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 November, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

Egoiste is shockingly strong. It may be the strongest fragrance I own, tied with Bogart Pour Homme. This baby projects like nuclear fallout, with a half-life of, oh, say 24 hours. Two spritzes is enough to clear out a small room. I'm surprised more of the reviews haven't pointed this out.

Despite its brutal strength, Egoiste is extremely refined and elegant, and it becomes more and more so the longer you wear it and give it a chance to evolve. It smells intensely spicy and peppery when you first put it on, but it soon becomes perfectly counterbalanced with sandalwood and soft, dark, muted floral notes. Though Egoiste is strong, it is not heavy - the vanilla in the base does nothing more than provide perfect balance and polish to the strong spice and wood notes. Underlying all of this is a subtle animalic smell that resembles civet. I am surprised that civet is not listed as a note in Egoiste.

Egoiste is beautifully dark and spicy. I think it's most suitable for either wearing while going out at night on a date, or wearing it in a business setting, though you have to be extremely careful with the dosage in that setting.

Released in 1990, Egoiste remains unique to this day. It does not smell in anyway outdated, and is timeless and classic. I have yet to smell any fragrance that attempts to mimic it. Egoiste remains in a class of its own.

MY RATING: 9/10

31st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st February, 2011)

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Ohhh Egoiste.. This is regal! One of the most beautiful male fragrances on the market! A spicy masculine rose. It can`t be better than this. A timeless, refined masterpiece. Quality in all stages. 10 points!

24 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2011)

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

A classic fragrance for sophisticated men with good taste.

18 October, 2009

Celsius32's avatar

Israel Israel

Bug spray, cat pee, you name it...
    This is truly the worst cologne I've ever smelt. It's one of those scents that you think to yourself: "this fragrance must have gone bad - no way that's
    how it's suppose to smell." It's not about it being sweet or syrup-y, it just smells bad. I know for sure it's not my skin chemistry, because it's smells the same way from the spritzer. I hate it so much.

11th October, 2009

Naitch's avatar

This is one hell of a powerful cologne that really makes a statement when you wear it. A basenoter called it a "masterful powerbomb" which would be accurate. I'd describe it as very, very intense with excellent sillage and longevity. It has so many different layers and notes it keeps you guessing as to what you're smelling. One minute you might think it's a strong lemon cleaner, the next a very soft vanilla candy with a hint of roses. It projects quite a bit. One evening I wore this and sat near a fan outside at a restaurant. My nose couldn't figure out one minute to the next what I was smelling, which has never happened to me before. This is definately for the confident man with an ego and ladies notice when you wear it (in a positive way). If you don't like attention I'd go with Platinum Egoiste, which smells great also but is for people who play it safe. Easily the top of the class when it comes to the fragrances I own.

Be extremely careful when you spray this on! No more than 3 sprays on exposed skin, or 2 under the shirt and 2 outside on the wrist. After several hours you can spray 2 more. I would never spray behind the ears or the neck or your nose will be overwhelmed.

Use on weekends, special occassions or evenings. Lasts about 6 to 8 hours on my skin.

06 September, 2009

hcr's avatar

Is it the rose that I can't stand? Not sure, but this smells like my mom's perfume cabinet. "old" was actually the first thing that came to mind, sure I've smelled something like this, probably a long time ago. Couldn't stand the smell on me though, and wouldn't even want to wear it just around the house either. Wanted to like it, but the sampler will be going to the fragrance graveyard.....

26 August, 2009

's avatar

There is just something not quite right with Egoiste but I don't care for any of the Chanel mens line.

13 August, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

A beautifully crafted fragrance that remains the stand out mens production under the Chanel banner. From the bitter-sweet opening to the edgy dry middle notes, the experience is an excellent balance of well formulated accords. The base is stunning, providing a potency and longevity that is all that one would hope for in a fragrance of this class.

27 July, 2009

Antaeusintheair's avatar

Majestic! A masculine rose in glorious decay surrounded by over-ripe citrus and spicy vanilla. The sandalwood background makes this almost regal. Seethes with power and confidence.

24 June, 2009

tnamey's avatar

Just purchased my first after sampling the scent in a local boutique. I have a habit of one quick smell, after which I pocket the scent an hour, both on paper and myself. This is a "grande" frag, quite imperial unto itself. A very unusual "woodsy scent" that turns on itself with rose, orange, and criander, the latter of which adds edge. Women love this classic. This will be a timeless fragrance!

20th June, 2009

Worth1969's avatar

Very strange fragrance. Truly a question of personal taste; You either love it or can't stand it. I had a manager at work that wore this and needless to say, I avoided him like the plague. I tried it on my own skin and it still smelled like Christmas potpourri (albeit expensive, designer potpourri). I usually love vanilla, but not the way it's used in this scent. I much prefer John Varvatos, which is so much more appealing and easy to wear. Due to its unique character and strong nature you will find some who swear by this fragrance and absolutely love it. I, for one, really do not enjoy smelling this at all and find Chanel Platinum far superior in every way. Egoiste is too sweet and
    funky smelling - definitely not for me!

24 May, 2009

robbert's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I'm loving this so much right now, I'm not quite qualified in writing this review, since I've only given it 4 wearings, but God this stuff is great!

Incredible sillage and also great longevity (easily 12-14+ on me). It's quite distinctive, so before buying definitely test it. I like the way cinnamon is mixed in to the opening of this fragrance, to me personally it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a very spicy fragrance.

Although I don't care for comments, I've already received alot (2 good and 1 so-so), so next time I wear this I'm going to go with less sprays to make it a bit more subtle.

If I had a gun to my head and was told to choose only 2 fragrances for my wardrobe it would be this and probably Dior Homme. Both of these can be used for alot of different situations.

08 May, 2009

Bigsly's avatar

I think the problem I had with this one is that by the time I sampled it I had already come to enjoy fragrances like Michael for Men (Kors) and Trussardi Python (the "women's), and by comparison Egoiste is crude and has an un-natural quality. I really don't find anything appealing about it, though I often like something about a fragrance I don't enjoy enough to buy. I wonder if this is related to the fact that it dates back to 1990, when a lot of fragrances had these unappealing qualities, from what I've experienced. This is a must sample first fragrance. To be fair to other fragrances I've reviewed, I must give this one a negative. I can certainly understand why some feel that this has a "bugspray" or "medicinal" quality, though for me it is the crude and un-natural elements that doom it. If you feel the same way, I suggest trying Burberry London for men, for example, but it depends upon which notes you want to predominate.

28 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2009)

Pachinko's avatar

Overpoweringly sweet and syrupy. I regularly wear women's scents, including Chanel scents, but find this too feminine. I bought a sample and thought the fragrance had been replaced with a cheap knock-off...then I smelled some at the department store and realized that what I had was genuine.

30th March, 2009

Elgar Place's avatar

All the hype about Égoïste is true - - THIS IS A WONDERFUL FRAGRANCE.

This exceptionally well balanced blend of seductive spice notes and light, tantalizing Sicilian Tangerine beckons to be worn by a refined, well groomed man.

There is nothing funky, trendy or ostentatious about Égoïste - - it does not smell like snowflakes on frozen cactus, or hot coals sprinkled with vanilla extract. This is a truly lux eau de toilette that can be worn anywhere from the office to a formal reception, any time of the year. It is long lasting, and the drydown is remarkably satisfying.

Chanel Égoïste Pour Homme = an essential fragrance.

24 March, 2009

supracuhz's avatar

I have the concentree version and there is something dark, brooding and sweet about this fragrance. Like the picture of the joker where his eyes glance upwards with his face looking down. You know that devilish, "I am going to start a fire somewhere for no apparent reason" look. This probably has something to do with the rose and rosewood, which paints a dark berry-esque portrait in my mind, like a blackberry or a blueberry. On second hand, it smells like a ancient Brazilian rosewood guitar (which I heard is impossible to find now a days because it is endangered or something). Rambling and incoherent thoughts aside, this scent is great. It opens with forementioned darkness, but develops into a wonderful woody oriental with a rich, citrusy and sweet sandalwood base. It is powerful in sillage and longevity, like a 2 by 4 hurled by a tornado that smashes through a concrete wall, except that 2 by 4 is freaking 80 feet long! (it lasts about 12 hours). This stuff is marvelous.

17 March, 2009