Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Find out more about Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

nohay's avatar
    nohay
    Israel Israel

For me, Egoiste is all what Douce Amère was supposed to be and never made it: Sweet and bitter, Lolita Lempicka for grown ups, and completely unisex.
    It's a magnificent fragrance, the heart is extremly sweet but it balance off with the edeges which are bitter and almost harsh. And just when you think there will be no more surprises, it takes a slightly Salvador Dali PH turn, and this dry dry wood is sneaking in.
    As I said, this one was supposed to be on the Serge Lutens line. THE definition of bitter sweet perfume.

06 March, 2009

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

After a heavy rotation of about 100 frags, it's a revelation of sort to realize that this classic by Chanel still stands head and shoulders above all the others. A timeless masterpiece and, I must add, an essential addition to any self-respecting wardrobe. An instantly recognizable woody scent like no others, great sillage and great longevity- all the hallmarks of a supreme fragrance.

24 February, 2009

Sporenburg's avatar
    Sporenburg
    Spain Spain

Oops in my original bugspray review I switched this with the awful Platinum. The original Égoïste is alright, I used to pinch some off my father but it never made me crave a bottle for myself. I remember a very clear, friendly almost elusive scent. Got released at the right time and became something of the default male fragrance before Le Mâle got on the scene.

16 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2009)

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Awash with noble gestures and an aura of an old-world gentleman, Egoiste demands to be taken seriously. The opening is a puff of majestic rose and delicate spice. The rose here is not feminine but takes a masculine guise. To accomplish this feat is difficult to achieve. Slowly, the gentlemen starts to get a little dirty with sandalwood coming to the fore. Adds an almost fecal quality to the rose that on paper smells rank. But on skin, the duality of the rose against the sandalwood smells divine. Just when you think you figured it out, the sweet notes of amber and vanilla reveal the 3rd dimension. The sweetness is bold and dynamic and smells wonderful. Just right for longevity and strength. This could be Chanel's best masculine ever.

28 January, 2009

ivan2057's avatar
    ivan2057
    Austria Austria

Starts off slightly citurs fruity and goes down to a powerfull woody
    and sweet cinnamon.
    A masterpiece showing how a heavy and sweet fragrance
    can still be very masculine and noble with so much character.
    A perfect winter scent you should under no circumstances even consider
    putting on in summer !

27 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 December, 2009)

jovanbell's avatar
    jovanbell

Very delicious.
    I love smelling MYSELF when I wear this. I cant believe that its not considered a womens fragrance after the first smell. It is soo sweet. it is a definite classy evening wear fragrance. Very bright, But it is so delicious. Wear sparingly. This is one of those things wear too much is incredibly bad. it is a must buy tho. very very different. the general population wont know what this is whwn they smell you. Very refined.

24 January, 2009

tanto's avatar
    tanto

There is something about Egoiste that I like very much but, I can not put my finger on it. It is very different and like no other frag on the market. I live in NYC and this is almost impossible to find anywhere. Too bad, I would gladly purchase it again.

23 January, 2009

frug's avatar
    frug

Old world, romantic, utterly distinctive, noble, and morose. It's the damask, methinks... powered, dangerous, and seductive, but too grave and refined to do anything but stand there being sumptuously clad in maroon silk. Smelling Egoiste makes me think of Chopin's Db nocturne.

17 December, 2008

Gblue's avatar
    Gblue

Sparkles with citrus as it leaves the atomiser, turns into a wonderful spicy rose followed by vanilla and a very soft woody base. Yum.

16 December, 2008

JonB's avatar
    JonB

Bug spray, honey, cinnamon. Very sweet. Very strong with strong sillage. Too cloyingly sweet for a masculine in my opinion. It needs at least one masculine aspect to it (and the effect of bug spray is unfortunate as well).

09 November, 2008

Cumbriadave's avatar
    Cumbriadave
    England England

This is just wonderful...and so worth the effort of tracking down. The rose and vanilla blend smells to me like melted Turkish Delight (in a nice way). Pure class and sophistication.

14 October, 2008

Kabamaru ninja's avatar
    Kabamaru ninja
    Greece Greece

Chanel is on the top and to me this one is the top of men Chanel!
    smoky,soft,smooth sweet and long lasting,one thing I love at this scent
    is the luxury breeze that it releases.
    An excellent luxurious well blended scent that every collector MUST have!

03 October, 2008

Serafim Jorge's avatar
    Serafim Jorge
    Portugal Portugal

For me Maison Chanel have only two fantástic fragance for man.
    Pour Monsieur and LÉgoiste.
    Chanel LÉgoiste ist one of the best.
    Brazilian Rosewood+sandalwood plus vanilla and you have a fantástic frag.
    In this niche of market is not easy find normal price / hig quality, but with Chanel Ègoiste you can have it.
    Used that everydays and in any ocasions and you dont regreted.

27 September, 2008

mrclmind's avatar
    mrclmind

I love the fruity note combined with rosewood in the opening. The spicy rose heart note is tempered by the top notes and is sensual, but not allowed to lose its dignity. The creamy woods in the base are sweet, musky, slightly amberic and complex. I'm very partial to the scents from the House of Chanel, and this is one of their best. Interestingly enough, I have always enjoyed this scent and still have never tried the platinum version.

23 August, 2008

djolney's avatar
    djolney

Many years ago I bought a beautiful hand crafted acoustic guitar made from Brazilian Rosewood. As time has passed the sound has got even better and the wonderful smell has dissipated. Even today when I take it out of its case I can still conjure up the wonderful sweet, salty, dark, and smooth smell of freshly worked Brazilian Rosewood.

When I sprayed Egoiste on my wrist I was immediately transported back to the moment when I first smelled my guitar. The rosewood in Egoiste is beautiful, and in conjunction with sandalwood and vanilla forms the elegant and long lasting heart of the fragrance.

Egoiste begins with a sparkling accord of mandarin and rosewood that settles down onto a heart of slightly spicy rose. As it begins to dry down a perfect harmony of vanilla and sandalwood emerges to support the rosewood and rose. The sandalwood is silky, and the vanilla smells very natural. Within an hour cinnamon weaves its way between the rosewood, sandalwood, and vanilla, and this combination lasts all day on my skin.

The combination of wood on the top and at the bottom gives Egoiste a unique character that is not going to appeal to everyone, but few people could fail to appreciate its perfect harmony.

Like my guitar, Egoiste will be sticking around.

01st August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Smooth and enjoyable. Smoky, woody and a tad sweet much like a truck -ton of niche perfumes but now at designer prices. Get it while it's hot! Speaking of hot, don't wear this out in the heat lest you be inundated with a sweet smoke. Longevity? Lasts for hours and hours on me.

24 July, 2008

schumi's avatar
    schumi
    Romania Romania

This is probably the most feminine smell of a masculine fragrance. When I first tried this, I was actually sure that there was also a feminine version of Egoiste and that I must have taken that bottle by mistake. It had to be, this couldn't have been a masculine scent. When I realized this was actually a men fragrance, I tried to figure out what the people from Chanel were thinking when they came up with this scent, but I couldn't...

24 July, 2008

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

This scent is so sexy, commanding, yet approachable. My favorite on DH, and luckily his, too! The top notes are a warm yet fresh and the creamy, woody drydown is musky but not cloying (like Musc Ravage can be...). It is pure, well bred class...without even trying. It instantly dresses up rock and roll t-shirts and jeans but insists you wear your finest Italian loafers with them. It feels just as comfortable in the boardroom, going out for sushi, or enjoying a romantic evening at home. Everyday, anytime of year...bring it on...

22 July, 2008

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

22 July, 2008

snifferdog's avatar
    snifferdog

Delicious joyous opulent and silky smooth. Starts with an exuberant mandarin and warm resiny woodiness of rosewood and seamlessly weaves into the extravagant rose, cinnamon and carnation heart. From there the intoxicating cloud drifts into the vanilla and sandalwood base.

This is for the spice and floral lovers. It's sweet without being cloying, radiant floral without being strident, and sparklingly spicy without any of the other facets being overwhelmed.

One of the very best fragrances ever created, for men or women.

04 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 July, 2008)

rikspector's avatar
    rikspector

Yes the Robitussin cough syrup caught me off guard,but quickly faded to the point
    that I felt there was nothing else thre.

Then thr ose notes emerged and slowly blended with the vanilla /sandalwood base.

Get passed the opening and you have a soft elegant cologne for that special event.

16 June, 2008

tuomas's avatar
    tuomas
    Finland Finland

This is very strong stuff, but is in my books a definite powerscent for the confident male. Seems to last on my skin rather well.

05 June, 2008

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

A spicy, rose oriental with good sillage and staying power. A bit on the formal side, but not impossible for more casual occasions. The rosewood in the head note is critical here; it sweetens the top and moderates the acidity of the citrus. Also a brilliant touch is the coriander and the vegetable musk of ambrette seed. These two combine with the oriental elements in the base to enliven the central floral note of rose. Very smooth and elegant. One feels debonair when wearing this.

04 June, 2008

sniff-sniff's avatar
    sniff-sniff
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Excellent fragrance for women wanting to impress other women. Wear it instead of your Coco one of the May evenings, and you will feel your girlfriends' noses up and down your neck. They will never guess what you are wearing but will be mesmorized by the aroma and stunned by your honest reply.

20th April, 2008

Stu's avatar
    Stu

I've never cared for Egoiste since its inception in 1990. It has an unusual smell to it that to this day I find medicinal and reminds me of something called Robutussin cough syrup. I would never wear this or recommend it to anyone else but do understand that everyone is different and feels differently about fragrance. Whatever floats your boat.

14 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2008)

akinyildirim's avatar
    akinyildirim
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

BEAUTIFUL, AMAZING, OUTSTANDING !!!

Egoiste is a beautiful oriental, with an outstanding rose/sandalwood accord (one of the best i've ever smelled).
    It is one of those fragrances you love to hate. It is overwhelming, and you would notice it even when the person left the room 5 minutes ago.
    The beginning is a little bitter, and i can smell a hint of mandarine. After 5-10 minutes you start to notice the rose and the sandalwood and finally (after several hours) the vanilla based drydown.
    Egoiste is also on of the very few male fragrances that would suit up very well to a woman. Maybe that's one of the reasons why a lot of people don't like it.
    It's also a very warm and elegant scent. Because of it's strong personality you should apply it carefully, and use it in the evening or in fall/winter.
    The thing i like most about Egoiste is the fact, that it has a strong personality, and is rarely used. It smells completely different from all the other products out there in the market, and people will recognize you immediately if you wear this one.

15 January, 2008

germanomio's avatar
    germanomio
    France France

neither bad nor excellent nor original
    over-rated for sure
    i would rather say it's inoffensive
    a discreet masculine fragrance fresh and not too sweet

08 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2009)

nthny's avatar
    nthny

Egoiste is stunningly beautiful, rich, and tenacious. In an effort to convey with words the texture of it (because it is fascinating), the best one I can come up with is oily, thick lamp oil. When sprayed, it "rests" on the top of my skin as though I've applied some sort of amazing smelling suspension, my skin drenched in it, can only absorb so much and the rest is left on the surface to radiate into the air. This is my impression of the effect of course, because it's not literally oily. It's as though the ingredients were folded carefully into a thick, smooth emulsion, nothing stands out, everything perfectly blended, the sandalwood and vanilla taking the main stage from beginning to end. I love the way the higher pitched ingredients give this an almost off-putting old dresser closet wood impression at the opening. There's something discordant there but it's addictive and delicious, as is the entire Egoiste experience. I didn't appreciate this when I first smelled it at age 20 and I don't think I should have been expected to, but now, 10 years later, I see the rich, dense sandalwood beauty that Egoiste is.

28 December, 2007

jdnba's avatar
    jdnba

sandalwood +rose+vanilla= a really great frag that says that the person wearing it is a gentleman

27 December, 2007

arwen_elf's avatar
    arwen_elf

While going through my dad's colognes I came across an old Egoiste stick deodorant. It was almost dry when I opened it. It smell so good that I tried it on my skin. I was surprised how lovely it smelled on me. Then I went to various sites to read reviews. I found one that compared Egoiste to Bois des Iles. I got a sample of Bois des Iles and found it too sweet, then I bought a mini of Egoiste to try it. I have worn it every day for the last week and have received many compliments, especially from men. I looked through my dad's things some more hoping that he had a bottle of EDT. Since he had a deodorant I knew he had to have the EDT. He must have finished it, because to my disappointment, he only had an almost new bottle of Platinum, which I don't think a woman could ever wear. I don't remember my dad smelling like Egoiste, I remember him wearing Allure and several Cartier colognes. I broke down and I am giving myself a 3.4oz of the EDT for Christmas.

22 December, 2007