Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Find out more about Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jdnba's avatar

sandalwood +rose+vanilla= a really great frag that says that the person wearing it is a gentleman

27 December, 2007

arwen_elf's avatar

While going through my dad's colognes I came across an old Egoiste stick deodorant. It was almost dry when I opened it. It smell so good that I tried it on my skin. I was surprised how lovely it smelled on me. Then I went to various sites to read reviews. I found one that compared Egoiste to Bois des Iles. I got a sample of Bois des Iles and found it too sweet, then I bought a mini of Egoiste to try it. I have worn it every day for the last week and have received many compliments, especially from men. I looked through my dad's things some more hoping that he had a bottle of EDT. Since he had a deodorant I knew he had to have the EDT. He must have finished it, because to my disappointment, he only had an almost new bottle of Platinum, which I don't think a woman could ever wear. I don't remember my dad smelling like Egoiste, I remember him wearing Allure and several Cartier colognes. I broke down and I am giving myself a 3.4oz of the EDT for Christmas.

22 December, 2007

Kaleem's avatar

This is truly the worst scent I have ever bought. Its so damn SWEET!!!. My wife says it smells like "OFF" bug spray and I tend to agree.

Awful, horrible and disgusting come to mind when I smell this.

Why are there so many positive reviews here?!?!

Is something wrong with me and my wife or did we get a bad bottle? Its EDT BTW.

22 December, 2007

innerlight1's avatar

Cinnamon,Cinnamon and more Cinnamon.Wrapped in a slight Vanilla and a tinge of Annisette. The opening reminds me of Eternity for about 1 second then the Cinnamon and a minor Rose comes out. Poupourri is what this reminds me of or as one person put it Apple pie. I don't really get the strong Vanilla/Sandalwood like other Orientals.The tangerine is bitter. Totally different,Very strong and lasting. Even with Brazilian Rosewood oil and Damask Rose it will not make you smell like Rosewater(like grandma). The name fits the scent...UNIQUE.

21st December, 2007

wtb's avatar

An evening wear classic for me to appreciate upon wearing each time for the ladies to love. Next to Antaeus, one of Chanel's best!

05 December, 2007

rach2jlc's avatar

Egoiste is a definite classic and will have its fans no matter what. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. Antaeus and Pour Monsieur are in my top ten favorites of all time, so I REALLY wanted to like this one. I love sandalwood, I love tangerine, but the vanilla just makes it too sweet for me.

I wish I could have tried the original limited release Bois Noir, because perhaps it would have had a little of the kick and less of the cloying element than Egoiste.

Nevertheless, it is still worth a try to any fragrance fan just to see what all the fuss is about. But, for my money, I'll stick to Antaeus and PM.

22 November, 2007

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Back in 1990, I am sure this must have been awesome. Not so much today. It is in the vein of Aramis Life to my nose, plus the mandatory 'old man' scent that was popular in that eera. I don't if it is just my nose or what, but everything from the '70s on down to the early '90s all have the same generic toilette soap at the old country club scent. Even the supposed classic powerhouse polo'Green' and others.
    All that said this is not bad. Probably considered cutting edge. But I can only recommend it if you are at least 43 years old.

19 June, 2007

Carl999's avatar

Once again with Chanel men's line, I'm disappointed...

All I get in this one is a sweet rose-coriander accord. I was really expecting something more.

They could make this better by INCREASING the dosages of jasmine, carnation, neroli, clove, cinnamon, ambrette seed and moss, and DECREASING the dosages of rose, vanilla, coriander and tangerine.

Its too sweet and too christmas-y!

Not impressed!

11th June, 2007

GeorgeBernard's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

'm not a big fan of sweet and woody. But this stuff is fantastic! Very characteristic, and yet subtle and non-offensive. Maybe not suitable for the office, or is it? It is strong in a way that it has 'body', it's finished and polished, but it definitely isn't overwhelming like lots of modern fragrances can be. It's a very private scent, in a way.
    The black box with the white print,the masculine bottle...this is something a man whant's to posess, eh? Luxurious quality. Like a pair of quality shoes or a swiss watch.
    Of course you should try this before buying it. I'm sure you will like the smell, but will you feel comfortable wearing it?

24 May, 2007

P-Natra's avatar

Germany Germany

Just one word "Classic"...ladies love this scent...just one spray...it works in the evening and winter time very very nice scent...it reminds me of first love...

18 May, 2007

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Mmm, this is definitely the musky sweet, buttery soft face of sandalwood, not woody dry at all. The top and middle notes add some spicy zest but mostly it's a smooth, sweet scent. I even wish they would have gone a little lighter on the vanilla since it's on the verge of too sweet for my taste, but absolutely not cloying, more like so rounded it almost lacks interest. Almost. Then I get a whiff of spicy rose or coriander or zesty tangerine and my interest is renewed.

27 April, 2007

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Long lasting power, great presence, discreet floral notes- that is, before the Oriental burst in the end, still something missing... I think Antaeus has that certain extra, more originality, more complexity, a more mysteriously extravagant note, but egoiste, for the fans of Chanel and the classic style, is surely a good and no-nosense investement, tough not universally and daily wearable, having that sort of french-made panache more fitting the opulent and highly elaborate salon rather than casual outdoor sporty or recreative activites.

21st April, 2007

mugler's avatar

Can't believe those who say egoiste is too sweet, cloying etc. This is the best vanillic scent, IMO, not headache inducing like mostly newer sweet, vanilla scents, very soft and round, transparent vanilla and the smoothest of woods and spices blends with a faint rose accord ( yes the rose is not so up front in there with my experience) . It has the classic Chanel character with a relatively modern smell that makes it perfect for someone in their 20s who thinks Antaeus is too dated. Chanel scents truly has magic, Antaeus makes you smell like money, PM concentree is sexy, and this one, well it makes you feel like an indulgent egoist.

12 March, 2007

stephanie1980's avatar

Now then, have you ever heard the saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it?' Glad they brought out the 'Platinum' version of this. It's like sherry and Christmas cake. A winter smell full of spice and candied dried fruits, it's Oriental in too sweet a way for a man.

24 February, 2007

MrCoffee's avatar

This is a particular kind of scent, and I don't mean the broad category but rather the actual mix of notes, that I just don't find appealing at all. So I'm going neutral on it, although I no longer own it and would not personally wear it at any time.

21st February, 2007

The_Giraffe's avatar

Wow... this one is SO good! Sure, the carnation in the top notes can be off-putting on the first couple of tries, but once you know what to expect it works beautifully as it's harshness is slowly but methodically mellowed out and taken over by the first the rose, then the sandalwood, and then a gorgeous combination of vanilla and rose. I love this scent so much because it is rare for me to have lots of respect for a scent artistically and also love to wear it. I can all but gaurantee that the people who say it's weak are suffering from olfactory fatigue, because I've been complimented on it many hours after applying it and have smelled it on myself the next morning before. Between the harshness of the top and the sweetness, this is definately not for everyone. In fact, for a while I thought it wasn't for me. It took me many testings to fully fall in love. But here I am, and I'm loving it. Enjoy mates!

15 February, 2007

's avatar

I agree with phibess here, the comment about how cloying it is, it being so sweet. I think it's the vanilla. I laughed reading the 'have to wash it off....headache and nausea' because that happened to me too!

And how did I happen to have it? I'd gotten the Platinum and loved it and lost it on a trip and bought another bottle immediately ... I was so confused ... what was this? I couldn't wear it and couldn't understand what was wrong. But what I'd gone home with wasn't ÉP but just É. At the time I didn't even know there were two different fragrances. It was over a YEAR before I figured it out.

07 January, 2007

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

Nice, but too classical. If it hadn't that
    rose accord it would be better for me. But still Chanel has great fragrances. Unfortunately for this one, Allure is far greater , being my favourite Chanel cologne.

23 December, 2006

Redcomet's avatar

I wanted so much to like Egoiste, I really did. Seeing how I read the numerous rants about the merits of this perfume, I got a decant. It's definitely not bad. And it surely does ooze class. It just doesn't click with me though. I think it's the rose, I get a feeling this stuff comes off a little feminine. Althought that isn't neccessarily bad, I just don't detect the spices as much as I would like because of the dominating rose. Alas, there's still BdP.

19 December, 2006

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

This is a deep, rich fragrance of very high quality. In some ways, it is so distinctive that it is quite difficult for me to wear. It doesn't blend with your skin and create a subtle impression, it sits on top of your skin loudly pumping out egoiste sillage in all directions.

Initially, I found the top notes a little synthetic to my nose (maybe the aldehyde chanel thing?) and I can still detect this if I think about it but the composition and heart and base are so strong that I soon forget.

Beautiful notes, stunningly composed into a powerful fragrance.

30th October, 2006

1280adam's avatar

I smelled this fragrance a while ago and now I'm kicking myself for not buying it because it's harder to come by these days. Great scent for fall/winter, but not an everyday scent by any means. Pick this one up if you can get it !

13 October, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

This stuff was simply too (for want of a better word) classy for the American mass market. No, they want their Tommys and their Acquas and their Beyond Paradises and all those other insipid, synthetic bug excretions.

Egoiste is distinction in a simple glass bottle, and (at the expense of my sounding VERY elitist) just way too good for Middle America.

03 October, 2006

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

I smell a strong rose in the top note but Egoiste's real plus is in the lasting sandalwood and vanilla drydown that you forgot about the day before but catch a whiff of in the morning. It's hard to wear everyday and too strong and unique for the office. Guess it's for the odd evening in or out then. Why do Chanel never put their stuff on sale? They're not that exclusive.

19 September, 2006

phibess's avatar

After reading all these rave reviews I though I had to try this one and since they didn't have a tester in the store I bought a 50ml bottle of Egoiste blindly. Def. a quality frag however, it's so cloyingly sweet on me I have to wash it off after 2 hours as it gives me headache and nausea. I wish it had another note/accord in it (citrus, tobacco..) that would offset its overall sweetness. It's just toooo sweet and now it's on my swap list..

03 September, 2006

jerd's avatar

I love the sweet spicy Rose, and elegant powdery sandalwood drydown. Atunner that lasts and lasts. Chanel just reeks of class.

22 August, 2006

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Not enough o's in smooth to describe this one.

Woody and Spicy? Naw . . . that's a bit of a cheat. It's the carnation, ambrette seed, and the rose at the heart that make it all come together in harmony.
    Not to mention the sandalwood base and what may be the best dry down on the planet.

This is deservedly a classic among oriental masculine scents. (perhaps THE classic) As with all orientals, do not use on hot summer days, otherwise--well, if you haven't done so already, give it a spin.

Highly recommended for a well dressed, handsome gentleman (ahem) who stands out from the crowd with elegance and finesse.

25 July, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2012)

Giordano's avatar

Egoiste.. It's incredibly sweet, but in a good way, like honey, when compared to white sugar. The smell is intoxicating. It is reminiscent of so many things at once. It is definitely a scent of class. It has the subdued, understated, and simple elegance that is the mark of luxury.

Everyone who I ask claims to smell something different.. cinnamon, vanilla, pot pourri, honey, even pizza.. I personally find it smells like the Italian soft drink "Brio", and has a quinine quality. Not that it actually smells of any of these things, but it reminds us of so many wonderful things at once.

Besides that, it is extremely original and memorable. Having worn it for about two or three days, I've already been told "whenever I smell that, I'll think of you". A good choice as a "signature" scent.

14 April, 2006

benb's avatar

I would have liked some leather in the drydown of this one. Otherwise it is lovely.
    benb

05 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 April, 2006)

knightowl's avatar

Egoiste is simply a masterpiece. Lovers of oriental fragrances that haven't tried this one yet are missing out on a whole lot!

31st March, 2006

giraffe's avatar

I'm a girl and I wear this scent all the time. To me it smells like apple pie, and I'm not the only person who has commented on that.

14 March, 2006