Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Find out more about Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

HackerX's avatar

I agree with the medicinal quality in this one. I also smell some tea element in this, keeps on reminding me of stale iced tea, and sometimes even Tea For Two from a strange smoky character. It is a good fragrance but certainly not the best sweet orientals out there, definitely test first.

26 January, 2006

teflondog's avatar

Spicy oriental in the same vein as Opium Pour Homme. Starts off with a sharp spike but smoothens out to a nice vanilla base. I also detect anise in it even though it's not listed. I'm not too fond of rose as a note but it's nicely done with this scent. It's rather subdued while all the other notes are balanced just right. It's another must-have for a true aficionado of oriental scents. Too bad it was pulled off the shelves of major department stores.

07 January, 2006

Galbanum's avatar

It is a woody oriental par excellance. It is my all favourite fragrance and given my passion for it it is most likely to remain my companion for the rest of my life.

02 January, 2006

BabyJoe's avatar

Belgium Belgium

This is a fragnance you can recognise from a distance, because it is so special. It is definitely a winter fragnance because it is soo soo sweet. I have not yet found a sweeter fragnance than this. Some people have compared it to Opium, but to me they are miles apart.

27 December, 2005

Égoïste, like most creations of genius, is not the easiest to love. Something a little sour in the beginning—but certainly not in a bad sense. On my skin it doesn’t turn sweet but stays a little on the bitter side—I like it that way... most of the time. The cinnamon and ambrette are quite strong on my skin and give a refined liquor note that is refreshing, lively, and a touch bold—to do all this and yet remain elegant and classic is quite an accomplishment.

Égoïste has achieved near mythic renown. It is unique, it is brilliant, it is luxurious. It is edgy. A creation of genius, it transcends the limits of mere designer fragrance and reaches a level of originality, refinement, and elegance that implants it permanently in the stratosphere. As in most of my favorite scents, loving this one didn’t come easy. With great works of art one has to improve ones own capacities in order to grasp the depths and heights of the creation. Égoïste was a challenge, but it was more than worth the effort. Its spices, florals, and woods meld in exquisite proportion. It has a liquor note for the necessary daring. It has a wonderfully elegant rose note that is deep, sensual, and masculine. Its dry down is sweet, light sandalwood that holds for hours. It is mythic.

20th December, 2005 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2010)

Peace's avatar

Finland Finland

The bottle should be entirely black.Because that´s what this is.Black on Black.A cent that i would picture a hybrid of Phil Anselmo(Pantera singer) and George Clooney wearing.Person who knows what there about and isnt affraid to say it.But says it all in calm and polite manner.

When ewer i smell this it takes me to a place of shadows and mystery.If this cent would be a movie it would be Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch.

Dark , soothing , wery comforting.I detect some smoke in the basenotes as well.This cent is not for Little Boys.If you like your fragrances to have an statement , to get you noticed(in a good way) , this one is the one.

15 December, 2005

castorpollux's avatar

I fell in love with this one almost 10 years ago, and then it fell to obscurity only cause i moved very far away and wanted new stuff, but i always always always remembered it and cherished it for the beauty of one of the best male scents out there, this is sweet, sensual, at the same time spicy and yet almost "velvety". It's a very original scent cause there was nothing like this before, and to tell the truth, there is no Egoiste that's not enchanting. Be sure to get it from an original retailer or at a chanel boutique cause there are Not too many out there and there are lots of rip-offs. Smell it before you buy it, and make sure to test it on the skin as it differs a great deal to what it is on the paper strip. It last a loong time on the skin too.

09 December, 2005

moon_fish's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

It`s very beautiful oriental fragrance accented on sandalwood and spicy vanilla. Sorry it`s too sweet for me... and as every Chanel fragrance for men - it is strong and long-lasting!

24 November, 2005

roland's avatar

I really love Egoiste.I don't quite understand what people find medicinal about it.It is one of the few sweet scents I like.I don't think this is overtly feminine like Jaipur,Rochas man,et al.This is the only Chanel that I would buy not that the other scents,for instance,Anteus,Pour Monsieur aren't good.It is like Envy to the extent that it is a heavier romantic scent that few dislike.I don't see how anyone could not like it.It smells delicious.I only wished the lemon was toned down a bit.Very minor complaint.Highly recommend.

16 November, 2005

baron's avatar

When I first wore this scent I got orange and vanilla, like in fifty-fifty bar. Now I get booze and lavender and sandalwood. Either way, this is a rich, warm beautiful oriental.

30th October, 2005

subzero's avatar

well-made fragarance. it is very distinctive from others. this scent is not for another teenager

17 October, 2005

emad's avatar

Iran Iran

girls like it alot, this fragrance and opium are too close but egoist is stonger, chanel line of frgrance is really great they don't make fragrance that fail

05 October, 2005

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Just like Fahrenheit you'll recognize Egoïste immediately in your proximity. Very original spicy and warm oriental with an almost medicinal, semi-bitter opening. That quickly fades though, leaving room for a sweet, woody base with vanilla and roses that keeps you enchanted (and enchanting!) for many, many hours. One of Chanel's best and a rich example of the fact that their male collection is on par with the legendary female one.

26 September, 2005

iMaverick's avatar

Distinctive, powerful, and refined masculinity in a bottle! I never grow tired with this scent. I also notice I walk taller and demand respect when I wear this. Everyone step to the side...I've arrived!

24 September, 2005

IPaidForThisName's avatar

It’s a shame I tried Platinum Egoiste before this gem. Egoiste is a wonderful Oriental. Egoiste is sweet, and very multi faceted. I think I am alone on this, but I always get a pretty strong tea note whenever I smell Egoiste. It’s almost like a combination of Chai Tea and Green Tea, but not many people agree with me on this one. Egoiste is a very seductive and sensual fragrance

19 September, 2005

fiskadoro's avatar

my signature scent that i keep for special occassions... there's nothing quite like egoiste for parties, weddings, and other events. for me, egoiste lasts and lasts on my skin, and my girlfriend adores it. it's strong, yes, but not overpowering, distinct, yes, but not unruly. it's one of the only scents i can wear and still smell its aura around me many hours later like a close friend.

10th August, 2004

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

goïste is simply quite perfect: fresh mandarin-lavender top, vanilla-amber-sandalwood base. It's one of those rare scents that suit any mood and occasion, it's never out of date or out of place. A Classic.
    I've worn Égoïste since 1990, my husband has worn it for years, we both wore Égoïste when we got married! :D Could never be without a bottle of it.

07 August, 2004

chris_cologne's avatar

Egoiste is a strange scent. I wanted very badly to like it when I got a bottle on Ebay, knowing it was expensive and exclusive. I was let down. Many people say it has a medicinal, cough syrup type smell. To me it had a predominant "tangy" scent, most likely from the tangerine note. Its not awful and it is definately unique, but certainly not worth the high price. Egoiste Platinum is far superior. It makes me wonder why Chanel chose to keep the EGOISTE label on Platinum. The two scents arent even in the same ballpark.

20th December, 2003 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2003)

Stuey's avatar

I just wish it had stayed a limited edition. Egoiste has a very medicinal smell to it that I find unpleasant. I'll pass thanks.

09 December, 2002

Yves's avatar

Egoiste is very long lasting. It is described as woody and spicy, the main spice here being cinnamon. I love it, much more than Platinum! The name means SELFISH in French. I read that it had another name at first: Bois Noir (black wood).

25 February, 2001

scentimus's avatar

The original Egoiste is a very rich vanilla and sandalwood scent, very very long lasting. I use to love the scent and wore it all the time...but have since moved on to others. Think of the scent like Obsession for men but much sweeter.

24 February, 2001

opalsdad's avatar

May have been a failure in sales but is a definte winner in terms of quality. A beautifully made Oriental of vanilla, spice, citrus and sandalwood.

12 February, 2001