Negative Reviews of English Leather by Dana

Find out more about English Leather by Dana in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

pandaKrusher's avatar

A review of English Leather led to an emotional argument on the Basenotes forum, so I need to be a little careful with my words: this cologne smells like senior citizens. I want this to be old fashioned, I want it to be retro, I want it to be back-when-men-smelled-like-men but it's just a convalescent home. Medicinal, powdery, orange-scented institutional-strength professional-grade floor cleaner. It's not a barbershop, it's a hospital. No leather, no moss, just baby powder, citrus and alcohol. It's not charming, it's depressing. No disrespect to the original formulation from the '40s, which I'm sure was just grand.

This smells nothing like English Leather deodorant, either, which is a spicy delight.

There's no reason to douse myself in a liquid reminder of my inevitable death.

10th June, 2014

Buck McFate's avatar

Sorry to have to rain on the parades of the younger reviewers, but I must tell you that the current version of English Leather smells quite unlike the formulation of the 1960s. English Leather was my first favorite scent, and I remember it being much deeper in it's leathery notes. It was never "too much", and was free of the current formulation's rather cloying elements. The current, difficult-for-me-to-describe scent represents "cheap" for me and, unfortunately, I get no "leather" from it at all, and hardly any wood. I'm an "old guy scent" lover and user, and had hoped for a better outcome from my journey into the past with English Leather. I may give it one more try, but I am not hopeful.

14th December, 2012

studer's avatar

I respect the amount of positive reviews on this one, but for me this is not good at all. Smells extremely cheap and is, smells very offensive and is, Makes me a little sick when i smell it. Not good at all and if this is what people think leather smells like then they arent smelling a good quality leather scent such as fahrenheit or something like that.

12th August, 2012

pimiento's avatar

I don't normally go out of my way just to talk about how bad a fragrance is but wow... I saw this for sale at $6 and thought 'what a find!' so i dabbed it on my wrist and it was by far the most off-ptting cologne I've ever smelled. I thought royal copenhagen was a bit urine-like but compared, this is pure urine mixed with baby powder and I, along with the rest of the people with me who I made smell it, smelled nothing more

18th July, 2011

masj78's avatar

Bought some of this in the plastic bottle on ebay and promptly re-sold it. Smells like boot leather mixed with baby powder,urine and some shoe polish. I am a fan of old colognes, but just couldn't get on with this one.

09th August, 2010

a2thek47's avatar

It's not the worst smell.. But from the younger side of things, there is no place for this scent.. Almost soapy at first, it seriously smells like baby powder. It's not ruined by smoking cigs though.

26th March, 2010

MOONB's avatar

I would like nothing more than to be able to praise English Leather, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I do admire its strong leather basenote, as it is surely the most easily identifiable leather note in the entire world of leathery colognes. But wearing this is just too difficult. It is too strong in any dosage. It morphs into a slightly dirty scent on me if my skin isn't totally scrubbed clean before application. And honestly, I don't really know if it has a place out there in the 21st century. I suppose if you're an older gentlemen with lots of tweed suits, who lives in a dense haze of lovely-smelling pipe smoke from that lovely-smelling pipe stuck between your teeth, this could compliment your presence entirely. Otherwise, I doubt this does anyone any favors, and I know it does nothing for me.

05th November, 2009

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

It smells alot like the Products Jaguar Recommends for their Connolly leather interiors.
    Maybe Connolly hide food ? IDK
    It's sharp and brisk and leathery, which I don't mind a light trace of after detailing my car, but I don't want to wear this out anywhere on my clothes, even if I was a senior citizen.

24th June, 2009

AnimaSola's avatar

This was truly the Frankenstein fragrance of my youth. I loathed getting this as a gift. This scent screams, " I am cheap and loud." I once knew someone who put a bottle of this in his air conditioning unit and regretted it for a week. I cannot believe this monstrosity is still around.

20th June, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

The stuff out now is revolting and doesn't smell like leather or tanning materials to me. More like a feminine leather chypre with army boots. The graphic on the bottle looks like an upside down hat.

29th August, 2008