Neutral Reviews of English Leather by Dana

Find out more about English Leather by Dana in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Zenwannabee's avatar

When I was in college, I shared a huge old house with a bunch of guys, mainly biology and chemistry majors. In the midst of some of the big parties we had, they'd exclaim, "let's do science!", and would run to the kitchen to create new outlandish cocktails, or snacks out of Cheez Whiz, hot sauce, and whatever was in the pantry. It was a crazy culinary experiment par excellence.

Dana's English Leather is the same way, except that it's now more of a science experiment than a cologne. For me, it in no way resembles the EL I loved in the '70s and '80s. I do get some citrus and then a pencil-cedary leather scent that can be tolerably pleasant. But that's just from a couple of dabs. Any more than that and I'm asphyxiated by a huge hit of what I can only call petroleum. I swear a splash of this is literally an environmental disaster. And as it's still sold in a large glass bottle, I shudder to think what would happen if it ever broke. I'd have to move out and raze the house to get rid of the smell.

I give it a "Neutral" out of respect for what English Leather once was. Even though I sometimes dab it on for old times' sake, it's definitely not the fragrance it used to be.

29 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 07 May, 2014)

Bigtruck260's avatar

I have been using EL on and off for 20 years...and I guess that's good favor since I have a bottle under my sink at the moment. VERY strong lemon/leather when you first splash it on. Wife HATES when I put it on after an evening shower (the best time). After about 15 minutes, EL becomes an old and welcome friend. Very masculine, and not "old" like some colognes...I'll probably always have it around.

29 May, 2011

lex's avatar

this is still around. english leather reaches out and makes itself known and well known it is.a straight foward scent, no surprises no extras just basically a light musk, woods and a little leather residue. one of those scents that you might get as a gift.

17 August, 2009

moondeva's avatar

Light classic leathery cologne, quite fresh in nature for such a 'heavy' type of scent. Unfortunately, especially after all the raves I have seen on here for it, I am finding it very 'meh!’ I live in a very cold climate though and believe that it may come more into its own in spring / summer. Not sure I like the spray version (too much aerosol) and may have to seek out a splash bottle to decant. (I will also look into getting a vintage vintage bottle, with the darker liquid to see if there is a difference in the formulations).

18 January, 2006

NaturalBornThrilla's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Smells ok last a long time and for the price thats not to bad. It reminds me of my grandfather I think thats why I bought it anyway it's worth the $10 bucks they want for it not gonna catch many fish(so to speak)with it but won't make any ofem run away from ya either.

25 December, 2005

Naed_Nitram's avatar

I agree, this is OK. According to my nose, a genuinely nice opening salvo is a bit let down by a slightly cheap-smelling development. A sort of 'mundane mass fragrance' meets 'I coulda been a contender, Charlie, I coulda had class'?

14 December, 2004