Neutral Reviews of Équipage by Hermès

Find out more about Équipage by Hermès in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

zenpiper's avatar

I don't know what to think of this. I bought it on eBay, partially used. It strikes me as a feminine fragrance - quite sweet. i don't get any of the leather notes others talked about. Now I wonder if the seller drained the bottle and refilled it with something else. Anyhow, it's far from a favorite. But it is not unpleasant.

Late hit. After sitting on a high closet shelf for a couple of months I just now tried it again. It's much better, more refined. Wearable now.

I must have my nostrils checked.

19 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2012)

Indie_Guy's avatar

I have a vintage bottle of this. It makes me think of Stanley Kubrick's version of Stephen King's "The Shining". Kind of formal yet coldly foreboding, much like The Overlook hotel.

"All work and no play..."

25 January, 2011

AnimaSola's avatar

Was this fragrance reformulated? I had a bottle of this a long time ago, and I recently purchased it again. It smells less harmonious, and there is a hint of a "chemical" smell to it. I do like the fragrance, but there is something almost old-fashioned and cloying about it. The sweet floral and wood notes are a delicate balancing act in this one. I wish Ellena would reinterpret this one.

06 April, 2010

Kaern's avatar

I mentioned in an earlier review of the disappointing Rocabar that Bel Ami wasn't flawed (even the new EU friendly formula), but Equipage did have one. It may only happen to me, but after about 45 minutes to an hour Equipage turns a bit pissy --it doesn't last long, but its there for me.

02 December, 2009

bokaba's avatar

Equipage is a classic scent that opens with a blast of pine and soft citrus and progresses to a powdery soft, somewhat medicinal base. I find Equipage similar to the original Polo in its herbal/medicinal accords, but far more expensive-smelling and far more sophisticated. I recommend it highly. I must also add that the resinous, smoky accord in the base is interesting. Longevity and sillage are poor, but if they weren’t this wouldn’t be refined.

24 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Equipage is a smoky leather scent, very well composed by Guy Robert.Masculine, elegant, decent, not loud-a fine gentleman´s perfume.Equipage is for an elder gentleman.Soft,warm and powdery.It lacks a bit modernity and feels a bit dated.Although interesting and singular, not a masterpiece but recommended.Not timeless, but somehow unique.Not exciting or daring but solid and classic.Still you feel, there is missing something......................

12 December, 2008

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

A bit too powdery for me, though still a very fine fragrance. Why not a thumbs up? Because it's a bit dull. Somewhere between this well-bred gentleman and the growling animal of the (original) Bel Ami lies Hermes finest take on leather, the oldest of the trio, Eau D' Hermes (1951)
    Is Hermes retrograde?

12 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

LuciusVorenus's avatar

Pine, Vetiver and Patchouli. This is a strong perfume, a beast, and I don't agree that it should be used at the office. It is a bit too strong for my taste. Very manly and clearly old.

18 January, 2008

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

I made the mistake of buying this having sampled it only once in a store. Then I had thought it heavenly but when I sprayed it at home it wasn't so special and too strong. Bergamot topnotes then an over heavy floral middle which becomes slightly better and less cloying in the basenote. Still, way too mature for most. Its siblings Rocabar and Bel Ami are far better and less cloying.

10th February, 2007

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

After a great bergamot burst in the beginning Équipage quickly morphs into a mossy, piney carnation based classically smelling blend. It actually is pretty close to Tabac, but more uncompromising and rugged. It's not a personal favorite, I don't really like this category (with a few exceptions - Penhaligon's English Fern for instance) but there is a nice soapy side to it + the sheer masculinity of fragrances released in the 70's is always appealing. Classy, but not on par with say Eau Sauvage or Chanel pour monsieur.

10th April, 2006