Reviews of Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Find out more about Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

Eternity is as close to “generic” a men’s fragrance I’ve smelled in a while. The composition is so bland, so faceless, that I’m not sure I can describe it in terms of notes and ingredients. Etermity’s top notes are a vague, undifferentiated citrus (dihydromyrcenal?) and Calone, as blatantly chemical as any store brand shower gel, and its core smells like the lowest common denominator of every stereotypical “fresh” fruity-aquatic fougère since Cool Water. Ideally, any scent so little distinguished from its peers in terms of composition should exhibit outstanding quality to justify purchase. Eternity for Men does nothing of the sort. It’s not only trite, but shoddy to boot. Not worth another line of text.

13 June, 2014

Zenwannabee's avatar

This was my signature scent in the mid-'90s. And smelling it now brings back that era--light and woody with hints of citrus and a great vetiver. I could wear it easily and it seemed to work for just about any occasion. I still think it's a good fragrance. I finally just tired of how synthetic it was (which maybe was also why I liked it in the first place). I think perhaps I got a bit older and my taste changed to heavier fougères. But still many good memories of this one.

11th May, 2014

MikeSelmann's avatar

Well I fell in love with Eternity in 1992. It has a special place among other fragrances I use. My now wife liked the scent before we even met. Somehow it does work on me, although lately they have been experimenting and it looks like thy have toned down the cologne. I still like the lavender in it. Good for daily wear.

09 March, 2014

HickorySmoke420's avatar

Very blah! Not a fan at all...

16 February, 2014

manicboy's avatar

Hard to like and hard to dislike. Eternity starts out smelling like a nice green fern that is pleasant but it gets very synthetic and irritating as it settles into a synthetic mess of lavender, moss and vetiver. You can see what Dinand was trying to do but the cheap materials ruin the batch. Now that it's been rejuiced to lessen the Oak Moss load, it's practically unwearable. In place of Eternity for Men, I'd recommend getting Lancôme's Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic or Esencia Loewe.

09 January, 2014

MrMookie's avatar

Not into eternity

Well its a classic ! Point made but...

But it is a transparant scent for me in a neutral way, fresh and calming but not very interesting.
    OK i think there are not many men (and women) who will dislike this one on a person wearing it but ...
    If i may give a tip for a better alternative try Lanvins Homme

Its in the same vibe.

I used to like the version from the early nineties better as this version had some extra edge which the current formulation lacks .

The 90's Eternity had a better sandalwood/lavender composition with the greens running around.

New formulation is soul-less

Thats why i give this one just 1 decade instead of eternity.

Pros: Clean and soapy
    Cons: Thin reformulation without a bite."

12 September, 2013

DoctorQuality's avatar

Worthless reformulation by Coty

Coty reformulated this juice so that it's just a weak version of its vintage self. And that's after at least one prior reformulation by Unilever.

The vintage is a rich bourbon in color; current production looks more like Budwiser on ice. Instead of spending a fortune to market Eternity and Obsession spin-offs like Eternity Aqua, Eternity Summer, Dark Obession and Obsession Night, Coty would fare better by not watering down the original, highly successful formulations.

Two knock-offs I know of that come close to vintage Eternity for Men are Very Sexy for Men by Victoria's Secret and Séx?al pour Homme by Michel Germain. I've compared Very Sexy, Séx?al and current Eternity, on skin, side-by-side.

Séx?al pour Homme has the best longevity, though it's hardly what I would hope for. Very Sexy has almost no longevity at all; it feels as though it's gone in ten minutes. Current Eternity for Men falls somewhere between those extremes.

Plus Séx?al pour Homme holds a bit more spice and sweet bite in the drydown than either.

So, though it's not all that well-known, I rely on Séx?al pour Homme for every day usage. Meanwhile, I keep a bottle of Very Sexy displayed on the vanity for the ladies to admire ... as well as for refreshing Séx?al pour Homme while at home. I leave the lame Coty reformulation of Eternity for Men to gullible shoppers in the mall.

And I keep an eBay search on for vintage Eternity for Men juice ... though I am more likely to find a live unicorn for sale first.

Suggestions regarding in-production substitutes for vintage Eternity for Men would be readily welcomed.

12 July, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

Eternity by Calvin Klein

While the fresh soapy opening and lavendar mid notes are appealing, it dries down into a typical woody spicy fragrance that is rather typical and dated. Still some people will really like this, but us fragrance snobs have been treated to much better options out there.

29 May, 2013

ilovemusic's avatar

I can't stand it... It gives me headache... still is...

11th February, 2013

Robzrx7's avatar

This is one of the scents that I started on as a teenager. I wore it because my dad wore and still wears it today. I agree with the people that say that no woman dislikes Eternity for men because I have yet to meet one that does. That being said it's pleasant enough and inoffensive. Nothing spectacular really and it is synthetic smelling. There's something in it that makes me sneeze which is why I stopped wearing it in the first place. It does have good longevity for especially for the price. Not something I would consider buying again though.

27 January, 2013

jadelotus's avatar

I felt compelled to add my review of this in answer to the "no woman dislikes this fragrance" reviews.

Well, this woman dislikes this fragrance. It starts off pleasingly enough with a nice fresh herbal, but those notes run for the exit immediately, leaving only a synthetic, unpleasantly aquatic soap smell behind. No masculinity, absolutely no sex appeal. Actually, I'd prefer Irish Spring on him. At least it's honest.

The only way I could enjoy this on my husband is if I stand next to him in the morning while he sprays it on and then leaves the house for the next eight hours. Yes, on him, it has shocking longevity.

Unfortunately, I think I'm the only one that feels this way. He always gets lots of compliments when he wears it.

26 November, 2012

PabloLicht's avatar

It´s a kind of ok smell, but lacks longevity on my skin, and thats a big deal to me. You should try before buy it, but it might work for you.

23 November, 2012

Nosebud's avatar

A clean smelling fougere, in the way soap scum is clean.
    I get the fresh green thing they were going for, but I can't get past the soapy smell. If I just catch a whiff I get the lavender herbal wood, but it soon is dominated by soap.

06 November, 2012

's avatar

As other said, i agree that Eternity is a classic and timeless. A must have to everyone that likes fragrances. But looks like it had been reformulated lately, which turned in to a very weak version if compared to the 90's version.

02 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

One of those old school frags you can't hate. A little strong at the initial spray, but quickly turns to an aquatic and citrus gem. I wear it to the gym once in a while (Two sprays.....Done).

21st October, 2012

crono38's avatar

Smells like a watery citrus. I could see why this was popular in its day. It smells appealing, not fresh but still very good. Try it!

Scent 8
    Longevity 4
    Sillage 4

21st August, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

A classic fragrance. Citrus based, works best in warm weather. Everyone recognizes it. Lasts exceptionally long. which is good in warm weather.

10th June, 2012

Brothermed's avatar

Soapy and unnatural cheap fragrance.

14 May, 2012

Bostonguy's avatar

A blast from my high school days. The citrus and flowery opening is huge. Like punch you in the face huge. Then you keep the flowers and add some spices, especially basil (like fresh cut basil from the garden). The dry down keeps the spice and adds wood.

It's popular. You've smelled it, even if you didn't know it. You can get it cheap at CVS. It's loud, abrasive, and many women, particularly children of the late 80s and early 90s, love it. It's not linear but it's not exactly well-made. It smells like the prototypical $30 cologne you'd buy for your teenage son for his 8th grade dance.

02 May, 2012

djvix805's avatar

Mexico Mexico

I really wanted to like this but just something about it doesn't smell right to me. It's a bit classy but just seems a little too 'mature' for my smell. Longetivity is great and so is projection, just can't seem to like the fragrance as much though.

15 January, 2012

mikesc's avatar

Still love this one. Not sure if its partially boosted by sentimentality, but love the notes and memories it brings. Good longevity and projection. There's a reason it's so popular and popularity often brings a scent down. Still a thumbs up.

12 January, 2012

cyber861's avatar

Oh...Every time I smell it. I am surprised.It is really enjoyable for me.

12 November, 2011

martinijo's avatar

England England

It is a bit lacking in subtlety for me and clearly used to death but I cant give it the thumbs down, that basilly lavender blast is just too heady and kind of pleasant for that. Still has its place as a great young mans fragrance, as long as you can pick it up cheaply.

19 October, 2011

BrianFantana's avatar

I've never been a fan of any CK fragrance... Let's get that straight. IMO Eternity has been the most popular and well received fragrance out of the house according to the general public. However, since I'm giving it a thumbs down that should tell you how I feel about it as well as CK's other concoctions. Simply put Calvin Klein's Eternity isn't well received in my world. It's generic smelling, boring, I imagine myself wearing this if I want to watch paint dry. What I get out of this is a very subtle floral with some faint woods in the drydown. I find that the longevity and projection on me are bare minimal. Does this fragrance garner female compliments? Yes. Does it receive compliments because women have been overexposed to this due to its price tag and years on the market? Most definitely. If you are wearing this to attract women then stop. If you are wearing this because your partner enjoys it then fine. My suggestion is to sample some newer fragrances because IMO any current day fragrance blows this stuff out of the 80s and into a garbage can.

Longevity: 6 I get 6 hours tops.
    Projection: 6 This one is meant for closer contact IMO.
    Compliments: 7 There are several women that I know of that enjoy this.
    Smell: 4 This just does nothing for me.

Overall: 5.8 out of 10

04 September, 2011

Safetyjon's avatar

Bitter citrus opening that got worse after the top notes wore off...One of the few frangrances that I had to wash off soon after application.

21st August, 2011

findtheriver's avatar

I was going to blind buy this, I'm so glad I didn't. I was surprised how much I disliked this after reading so many positive reviews. Mostly I get a sharp syrupy grape candy smell which I couldn't wait to wash off. Many reviewers seem to have nostalgic memories attached to this fragrance but not me..I didn't even sample it until recently. No my cup of tea at all.

31st July, 2011

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

One of the best sellers of the 90's and no surprise why it a fragrance the public will like and shed out for.

Fresh, green and yes a bit too synthetic but its pleasant to wear

almost a thumbs up

28 July, 2011

drseid's avatar

One of my least favorite scents. This was ridiculously popular when I was in my teens (I am showing my age a bit here) and I did not like it back then even though I, like everyone else had a bottle (gotten as a gift). Now many, many years later I still find myself cringing at even the thought of smelling this scent again as it was so loud, popular and over applied by most everyone I came in contact with. There certainly are worse scents out there to be sure, but this one just has horrible memories for me associated with it, so I give it an easy "avoid" recommendation. Polo Green was my other staple back then and I still like that one. 1 out of 5 stars for this turkey.

26 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

The melancholy Eternity, with its citrusy traditional (lavender) opening, its astringent floral-herbal romantic heart and its woody and masculine base, smells like a sort of cleaned by spices, slightly ozonic and sour traditional powerhouse, masculine, comforting  and clear. There is a certain level of bitterness very appealing and pungent that is the perfect shelter for the romanticism of a deep, almost tasty, neroli accord plus jasmine. The base is slightly aromatic and warm of woods and roots that retain the general drought of the juice and owns a different kind of woody-ambery mildness pleced on the side of the diverse citrusy-floral initial sweetness. These elements determine a touch of dissonance and complexity that give dignity to the juice. Many fragrances remind in their dry down the smell of Eternity and i think to Cool Water, Green Irish tweed, Joop Nightflight, Egoiste Platinum and many many others. The dry herbal and fruity-floral formula with woods and amber at base is a risky recipe cause a lot crossed by the noses all around and because of its common tart and floral monothematic depth. Eternity lacks indeed uniqueness, smells synthetic and is a bit generic (the formula is similar to that of many bath energetic foams or chip and common fragrances) although fortunately preserves a bit of changeability.

07 July, 2011

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Washing your hands and face with Irish Spring soap will produce approximately the same result as spraying on Calvin Klein's Eternity.

Eternity also shares many similarities with Mugler Cologne. They could be brothers.

Overall, I couldn't get past my association of this scent with the soap or cleaning products used in public restrooms, perhaps at a mid- to upscale restaurant.

It's a fresh, clean scent, but in an industrial kind of way. Something you might expect poured out of a 50 gallon drum.

01st July, 2011