Reviews of Extract of West Indian Limes / Extract of Limes by Geo F Trumper

Oviatt Show all reviews
I have worn this over the years and absolutely love the fresh burst of lime but it is over so quickly that it is a difficult one to wear. I have often wondered if using the whole range--cologne, aftershave, shaving soap, etc. might not help. This has been a staple for Sloane Rangers of all nationalities and is the perfect scent for a gentleman who is not really comfortable wearing a scent at all. As it is, this is a fleeting delight to wear and it set the bar high for all of the other famous lime scents that followed--Royall, St. Johns, etc. Due to the lack of staying power, a neutral rating, but this is wonderful in many ways--while it lasts!
04th February, 2015
If you could put a nozzle onto a fresh lime you'd get this ...A very impressive lime scent from trumpers that is probably the most genuine and honest lime fragrance out there. However don't get too excited as the smell has disappeared by the time you have gone from bathroom to bedroom to kiss the Mrs goodbye. Maybe this could be used to spray around the rim of a mojito glass for that finishing touch. Would make a great pick me up on a coach trip or flight.
06th November, 2014 (last edited: 14th November, 2014)
BradneyJ Show all reviews
Very sharp, very fresh, doesn't last

The moment I apply this, I get a little flashback to every time I've sliced up lemon and lime for a G&T on a Summer's day. I don't personally pick up anything else from Extract of Limes besides the citrus. On me it goes a little sweet before it disappears entirely (a lot of things seem to turn sweet on me though). I like it, but with such poor longevity (not that I expected it to last more than 40 minutes), this is not something I'd wear for anyone's benefit but my own.

Pros: Insanely fresh and citrus
Cons: Citrus notes rarely last long- this one is no exception

29th May, 2013

rbaker Show all reviews
A straightforward lime Cologne with a wonderful intensity. Nothing more is claimed, and nothing more is delivered. Poor longevity, but not worse than other like scents, and with 1/2 hour longer than Hermes EdOV.
03rd June, 2012
drseid Show all reviews
Superb pure lime fragrance that is extremely refreshing. There really is not much to it; just an absolutely fabulous smelling pure lime scent that hits you immediately when applied and then the scent is gone. I normally would give a thumbs down or sideways due to the extremely low longevity (30 minutes max on my skin no matter how much I apply), but the scent is so good, I have to give it a thumbs up. This is great as a scent to wake you up after a nice old fashioned shave (preferably with Trumpers' own excellent Limes shave cream). The scent gets 4.5 out of 5 stars, but longevity should be noted as 1 out of 5.
12th August, 2011 (last edited: 02nd June, 2012)
A magnificent burst of lime for sure. But enjoy the opening cause there is no close. Or a middle.
Maybe an hour of lime paradise. Then...

I'll go neutral out of respect for great opening.
04th July, 2011
Swanky Show all reviews
I bought a bottle of this at the legendary Merz Apothecary in Chicago a few years ago. I had been searching for a quality lime-based cologne and from the bottle on a smelling strip Trumper's was natural and sharp, just what I was looking for. A small bottle was $60 but the quality seemed worth it.

Actually wearing it is another story. I can't add anything new to the commentary here: longevity is dismal. In fact, one cannot even talk about longevity with this item. Using a hand soap will give you the same duration. Call me a Philistine and a rube, but I don't view fragrance as abstract, just as I don't view watches as abstract. I want a wardrobe not a museum. My bottom line intent is always to wear them. A watch that stops after 30 minutes is not practical. Nor is a fragrance that is undetectable within a half hour. As a $10 dollar aftershave, sure, this wouldn't be bad. As a $60 dollar investment, it is simply not worth it. I should carry this bottle with me and reapply it sixteen times during the day? If it were more complex, more innovative, more...anything... The smell of natural lime, while pleasant, doesn't justify this fragrance in my opinion and I, in the end, passed my bottle along for someone who doesn't actually need to smell a fragrance to enjoy it.
10th June, 2011
Intense opening blast of what else.....Limes! Like sticking your head into a bowl of freshly cut limes. Sharp, Intense, Fresh, Clean and tart. Lasts for about 15-30 minutes and then poof....everything is gone. To be expected of a single note citrus fragrance with no middle or base notes to support. While I love the initial burst of lime goodness that this one has, the longevity would be too much of an issue for me to purchase a bottle, let alone decant. Does make me want to try the corresponding aftershave to have something that wouldn't clash with my scent for that day.
28th March, 2011 (last edited: 29th March, 2011)
Extract of WIL is pretty natural-smelling on skin...moreso than Truefitt's Limes, but not as strong or long-lasting. Even while it's still drying on paper, it has the acridness of the rind of a freshly cut lime, which is really nice, but soon it's all over. There are virtually no base notes...almost nothing is left at all. Very academic and impractical.
26th March, 2011
Very crude potion that reminds me of lemon bathroom cleaner. Doesn't clean as well, though.
10th February, 2011 (last edited: 11th February, 2011)
Hands down THE best and most authentic lime frag available from any house. A bracing and intense opening, as if you've just plunged your face into a bucket of freshly squeezed lime juice. It's a very simple, very linear scent - no top, middle, or base, just lime. Unfortunately, as is the nature of simple and linear citrus scents, longevity and silage are almost zero - it's gone almost completely inside of an hour or so. If you want a long lasting citrus frag that projects well, then this isn't for you. If you don't mind a fleeting citrus but want to apply regularly, then the price point suggests you should be looking to 4711 or Farina instead. If, however, you want a quick limey punch in the face and don't mind spending a bit more for the quality, then you really need to look no further.
06th May, 2010
I always have a bottle of limes. It reminds me of my grandfather, boarding shool, rowing and racing, and everything I love. It's brilliant first thing in the morning, and lasts about 30 seconds.

There's no sophistication here; it's like being woken up by a very friendly spaniel.

I've tried Truefitt's limes, since I moved over there and it's longer lasting, but doesn't quite match this one for explosive joy.
29th March, 2009

Bright and tart and clean: West Indian Extract of Limes by Trumper is as close to the enticing smell of fresh squeezed limes as any thing I’ve smelled, and that includes the squeezed limes fresh from the lime tree in the backyard. And like the aroma of those squeezed limes, Extract of Limes doesn’t last, but lasting isn’t what it’s about. This is about the taste / aroma of fresh, fresh limes and the mouth puckering sweetness that only limes have. This is about sun and fresh sea air. This is perfect… Whoops, hirch_ duckfinder already said that. Well, he’s right…

01st March, 2009

Limes! That’s it, just limes. They are green, zesty-fresh, natural. This is a wonderful, refreshing tonic splash. It is very short-lived, and that is to be expected. Citrus oils are (by nature) volatile and brief, and this scent doesn’t have any base notes which would prolong or develop. In other words, it is what it is. Splash it on and enjoy the brief experience. Half an hour later do it again, or put something else on – it will layer with anything. Indeed, ‘layer’ is an over-statement. In a half-hour, you just have your skin (but nice-smelling).
11th August, 2008
A Victorian body splash rather than a fragrance. But unquestionably the zingiest zestiest lime of them all - St. John's, e.g. pales before it, while Crown's Spiced Lime is far subtler and more of an actual fragrance. This beauty gets five stars for doing what it does perfectly, never mind construction or longevity in this case.
28th May, 2008
For my money, the best lime on the market, neither too sharp not too sweet - and it lasts on my skin for a number of hours. Caswell's Lime can be overly sticky sweet, depending on the batch, and Truefitt's disappears almost immediately to be replaced by a neroli. Trumper's Extract of West Indian Limes is subtle, delicious and a perfect summer morning splash. Highly recommended.
05th December, 2007
Simple almost lemon pie w/ meringue topping creamy lime, a high quality lime oil in perfumer's alcohol solution. While as much as I like this it is by no means anything that impress me, due to the lack of creativity. Maybe this has more than just lime EO in alcohol, but as far as I could tell there is none, and this is why I am giving this a neutral rating.
27th January, 2007
Short lived citrus heaven! Perfect, I slap it on after the morning shower to wake me up and by the time I know what I want to wear for the day, it is gone. It leaves a very light, fantastic smelling residue for about an hour on my skin.

The initial blast is awesome! SO limey and fresh its amazing. Buy half a litre in a plastic bottle for £30 and splash it everywhere!!
30th July, 2006
Juicy, fresh, very limey- i dont get anything else, except perhaps maybe lemon. citrus freshness. zingy. REALLY doesnt last on me. pity, cos it's a nice scent.
22nd March, 2006
Sharp and fresh, a wonderful scent of limes. And a few minutes later it tones down nicely. (Which is a good thing, because as terrific as the initial scent is, it's too sharp to wear without its toning down.) But, after that, and as others have said, Extract of West Indian Limes doesn't seem to have a lot of staying power. It's like fireworks: it appears, it's magnificent, and then it's gone.
23rd October, 2005
This one smells just like lemon-lime Gaorade powder. It only lasts 5 minutes on my skin too.
30th August, 2005
One of the shortest lived fragrances on my skin. Like j_dubyah suggests maybe another individual will have better luck. Great scent though, the lime is subtle in a manly way and makes for a good before bed spritzer. A little too expensive for the daily ride.
29th August, 2005
I LOVE this scent. It has the utmost in freshness about it with layer after pugent layer of fresh lime-ness. Downside: a very good disappearing act after a few minutes as is the case with many such fragrances. I'm thinking the right kind of skin chemistry might make it linger longer, but that is trial and error that may not be worth the price.
26th August, 2003