Negative Reviews of Extract of West Indian Limes by Geo F Trumper

Find out more about Extract of West Indian Limes by Geo F Trumper in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Swanky's avatar

I bought a bottle of this at the legendary Merz Apothecary in Chicago a few years ago. I had been searching for a quality lime-based cologne and from the bottle on a smelling strip Trumper's was natural and sharp, just what I was looking for. A small bottle was $60 but the quality seemed worth it.

Actually wearing it is another story. I can't add anything new to the commentary here: longevity is dismal. In fact, one cannot even talk about longevity with this item. Using a hand soap will give you the same duration. Call me a Philistine and a rube, but I don't view fragrance as abstract, just as I don't view watches as abstract. I want a wardrobe not a museum. My bottom line intent is always to wear them. A watch that stops after 30 minutes is not practical. Nor is a fragrance that is undetectable within a half hour. As a $10 dollar aftershave, sure, this wouldn't be bad. As a $60 dollar investment, it is simply not worth it. I should carry this bottle with me and reapply it sixteen times during the day? If it were more complex, more innovative, more...anything... The smell of natural lime, while pleasant, doesn't justify this fragrance in my opinion and I, in the end, passed my bottle along for someone who doesn't actually need to smell a fragrance to enjoy it.

10th June, 2011

Spoombung's avatar

Very crude potion that reminds me of lemon bathroom cleaner. Doesn't clean as well, though.

10th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2011)

AZsmells's avatar

This one smells just like lemon-lime Gaorade powder. It only lasts 5 minutes on my skin too.

30th August, 2005