Reviews of Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Find out more about Fahrenheit by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

JackTwist's avatar

When almost a fifth of 200+ reviews are negative, you know something not quite right is going on.

This comes at me in two layers, one a warm amber leather and the other a sharp, very unpleasant cedar/mace combo. The center is floral and sweet, as Barbara Herman notes.

Turin gives it 2 stars and calls it a "woody leather." Right! However, he goes on to say it is a great citrus leather (I don't get the citrus) with prominent violet leaf (again, I don't get this.)

The unpleasant cedar overpowers and wins out over the amber leather, so this is definitely a failure to my nose.

Top notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Lavender, Mace, Violet, Chamomile
    Heart notes: Jasmine, Muguet, Cedarwood, Sandalwood
    Base notes: Amber, Patchouli, Leather, Tonka, Musk

A waste of most of these ingredients since you can't smell them.

31st July, 2014

Muaythaifighter's avatar

Fahrenheit is one of those fragrances that people will either love or hate. My girlfriend adores it on me and says that when we first started dating she couldn't beleive how good I smelled and told all her friends about it. On the other hand, my sister doesn't like it at all and said it smells like a chemical mess. I enjoy fahrenheit because it is so unique. A lot of people mention a "petroleum" feel to it but I don't really get that. It's the only fragrance in my collection that I can't describe in words, which is a testament to how unique it is. I also enjoy it because of its versatility, works well in both summer and winter, day or night and for a variety of occasions. Pretty much the only place I wouldn't wear it would be the gym.

13 July, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Christian Dior - Fahrenheit
    If this one can make the temperature of your blood rise more than 1 fahrenheit, than your probably a very ice-cold person who needs all the little bit of warmth you can get; or dead... A weak sharp-peppery opening with a smudged greenness that smells musty and like overcooked vegetables with an anisic touch, grows into a bitter lavender note, and a weak sweet fruity note that reminds of water-ice where the flavor almost totally has been sucked out of. Then, like a big surprise, it grows into a rubber-leathery note with a clean transparent cedarwood/palo santo note with a Cool Water-like airiness; unpleasantly musty bitter-sour smelling, finished off with a big splash of iso e super. A big disappointment in terms off quality and originality with a detached and boring character. Yuk.

27 May, 2014

ClarkScent's avatar

This was a masterpiece. The new formula is a travesty and is highly unwearable. I thank my lucky stars that I found a vintage bottle on EBay. The gasoline vibe is nonexistent in the new juice, which is the main reason the vintage stuff is king. I have probably worn more of this than any other cologne in my collection. Available everywhere but do not buy if only the word Dior is on the bottom of the bottle. Vintage will read Christian Dior.

04 May, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Fresh violet petals and lavender, spicy carnation-cinnamon accord, a balsamic vibe with a bit of insecticide feel (linalool overdose). It then evolves into a more common eau de cologne accord. Bit of a plastic and cloying vibe, I never liked this much but I guess it is distinctive.

13 April, 2014

Shifty Bat's avatar

Pleasant enough sort of white floral-meets-grey musk scent which achieves an interesting balance of hot and cool. The effect doesn't last all too long, and the current version is far more flat than I'd like. The older vintage features a more pronounced honeysuckle, as juicy as they would allow before it interfered with the dry concept. Very pleasant for the first hour and a decent skin scent afterward. I love a well-made masculine floral but this won't suit everyone.

12 April, 2014

Classyscents's avatar

Long lasting, classic, and the girls love it! and in the end isn't that what it's all about?

I'm pretty shallow but this scent will never not be in my wardrobe. If you wear if on a night out, a girl will compliment you every time and that's always nice. Don't go crazy, my old bottle still packs a major punch. Don't believe sales people who tell you it expires! Not if you store it right.

29 March, 2014

Adama's avatar

I've heard so much about Fahrenheit for so many years that I decided that I wanted to give it a shot especially after hearing that Axe Peace was very similar to it. I enjoyed Peace bodywash and deodorant, so I bought a partial bottle from a member on here.

Everything you've heard about Fahrenheit is true.

It opens with a strong, motor oil/ car exhaust/ diesel punch in the face. It then moves into what some describe as tire rubber, others gasoline. I can detect both.

Fahrenheit then moves into a smokey leather jacket phase, where it then fades away.

I get that a lot of members here really enjoy it, but I dislike it and cannot think of any situation where I would wear this.

I can see it being a head turner, but not for the right reasons.

28 March, 2014

jarroditshallbe's avatar

Early 90's date night. Sitting on a couch in a large open room, while you wait on the lady to finish getting ready. Your hands are clasp while you wait. You also have a mustache, and maybe a leather jacket on. It is acceptable because, hey, it's the 90's.

13 March, 2014

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

I didn't like it when I first smelled it years ago. It seemed weird to me. But this year my wife and me made a trip to the sea. Before going to the hotel, we entered a mall a saw Fahrenheit. My wife smelled it, liked it and bought it. And even impose me the use of it exclusively during our trip. So I did. And things changed. I got to tell that I don't find any gasoline or petroleum in it just a clean marine breezy early morning walk by the beach. It's clean and aquatic but not in the Aqua di Gio sense. I mean it in a very mature and poetic way. It inspires me to sit by the sea and write my notes, since I am a Psycologist. Fahrenheit, the sea, a cup of black coffee, my pen, my notebook, my converse y my wife and I'm done.

03 March, 2014

cologneblog's avatar

A surprisingly adequate scent both fresh and warm!

27 February, 2014

Luxurious Inclinatins's avatar

This is the one you want to run away with. I randomly came across a sample of this and it instantly captivated me. There is something so warm, bold and sophisticated about this fragrance that has a strong yet soothing edge of attraction. It is addictive and distinctly unique. Almost all the other men's colognes out there have an overly clean and aqua fresh smell. This one smells rich with desire and full of mystery. Some say it has a petrol smell to it, but I don't perceive it that way. I would say it has a hint of spice and a cooling musk, like a hot summer rain under the trees. Overall I find it blissfully timeless in it's candor of masculine sensuality.

25 February, 2014

HickorySmoke420's avatar

One of my top ten favorites...I savor this sent when I want to be noticed and am seeking attention.

15 February, 2014

Ryanmmas26's avatar

This is a scent that I can wear on occasion when im just tired of typical fragrances and want something that smells different. Ive worn this only a handful of times and each time Ive grown to appreciate and respect it more, but with that said its still not even close to being 1 of my go-to fragrances.

To me it smells outdated and has a dark,industrial,masculine vibe that is actual very well blended. I guess because im more of a fan of fresh,clean scents I dont fully appreciate but as a cologne collector I do respect the originality in this 1.

Its also a long lasting fragrance that will project pretty well :)

18 January, 2014

malin17's avatar

I love this on my husband. It really stands out in a crowd of the mainstream sport style fragrances I smell so often. I think it really suits rugged types well. Not fresh or clean to me but very dark and brooding.

28 December, 2013

tempest moon's avatar

In 1988 Dior decided to break the mould in terms of men's fragrances and decided to go in a different direction, by turning the established system on it's head. What they managed to create was something entirely unique (even today). They succeeded in creating a truly remarkable and very masculine floral (by using violet, nutmeg, carnation, and a lot of leather).

The result? Something which smells beautifully modern even today. In a word - timeless.

I believe that years later Dior would turn the world of male perfumes on it's head for a second time (with their metrosexual floral leather release 'Dior Homme'). However for many people, this is considered their best masculine and I think it's one of the most unique designer masculine fragrances ever created.

Instead of the Leather-Iris combination used in Dior Homme, here it's Leather and Violet, a pairing which gives off what many people term "sweet motor oil".

Before actually wearing this on my skin, I tried the luxury 'soap' of this for years, never finally wearing the fragrance itself until now. To me this can't be categorised purely by a "gasoline" smell (and I happen to like the smell of petrol). To me, this fragrance smells like an incredibly clean version of petroleum. Imagine a mechanic who after working a long day with the car grease and motor oil, then decided to take a really good bath or shower with luxury, high-quality soap. After he's finished, he smells clean and fragrant, but the original petrol note is under all the soap, and because of this, now starts to smell "clean" as well. Of course this is also a perfectly blended fragrance, and you'll struggle to put your finger on why exactly this smells as good as it does. The combination of violet leaf, leather, nutmeg, musk, geranium, lavender and carnation makes this extremely masculine. However it could be worn very well by a woman because it's also sweet at the same time. It's addictive!

I think the marketing concept of Fahrenheit was a perfume of contrasts. Specifically Hot and Cold, or "Fire and Ice". Fahrenheit is a measurement of temperature, and as a result applies to burning, boiling heat and also icy cold. As an olfactory sensation, Fahrenheit straddles the line between these two extremes, and does it beautifully.

I will say that this smells just as modern as it ever did 25 years ago, and could easily be released today and go on to be a number one hit. It's unique, nothing out there smells like it. It's not like Cool Water (also released in 1988), which went on to spawn the aquatic craze of the 1990's, and as a result is starting to smell a little dated by today's standards.

This has lost none of it's originality. It is well worth it's reputation. I believe that it can be worn by almost anyone and in any season. It needs no introduction. It is what it is (even in our time)... original, unique, & unmistakably beautiful!

08 December, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

One of the original Men's Colognes. A little goes a long way with this masterpiece. Yeah, it has that petrol vibe like everyone saysm but I is done well. I call this the Green Leather Scent. One you have to have.

05 December, 2013

hgonzalez1977's avatar

Very unique and masculine

I don't know what formulation i have (i purchased in 2011 aprox). It's a nice, manly, strong and unsual scent.

PROS:
    - It's a classic.
    - Very different (in a good way) to the other fragrances.
    - Projects and last a lot.
    - Masculine

CONS:
    - If over apply, can offend to somebody

For me, it's a must have. Definitly worth the try.

Regards.

Pros: Unusual and manly scent than last and projects
    Cons: Don't over apply"

15 September, 2013

VanMarlton's avatar

Unique, but I'll pass

I gave this one a fair shot and really tried to like it especially in light of its notoriety and good publicity. But there is really something about it that does not sit well with me and I dont know exactly what it is. Probably something in the floral notes that kinda pushes me away. But I do have to admit that it deserves the popularity it has. Very unique scent and it is quite "ballsy", but not in a gasoline smelling way unfortunately... Whoever claims it smells like you spilled some gas on yourself at the station, like... you ever BEEN at the gas station?? :)) I really wish it did smell like that and that is the main reason I tried it out in the first place.

A classic? I think so, but I would be okay leaving it behind.

02 August, 2013

stefly321's avatar

review by stefly321

Got this as a gift from an ex girlfriend who loved it. It does have a whiff of petroleum about it. Not like liquid petroleum but like one that's evaporated and leaves that faint smell. But mixed with its other notes, it does work somehow.

27 July, 2013

Oldspice's avatar

Fahrenheit

I bought a bottle of this blind several years ago. I'd read a little about it and thought I had a good idea of what this would smell like but was pretty shocked when I first tried this. I didn't hate it but thought it was a little too strange for me and didn't feel too comfortable wearing it so I got rid of it. But it stuck in the back of my mind and I do recall that wearing this one night I got the most enthusiastic compliment from a woman I've gotten with any fragrance. So there is something to this stuff. I got a sample of this recently and here are my impressions of it.

When I was a kid my parents would buy cheapo bar soap for the bathroom, usually something like Zest. I get an impression of this smell from Fahrenheit. At the same time I do get that strong petrol note too. It does not smell like gasoline to me, closer to used motor oil. So for me there's this dueling clean and dirty feel to it. I don't get much development, how it smells when I spray it on is how it smells hours later. This projects fairly strongly and lasts well beyond eight hours so this is one to be cautious of over-applying.

I now enjoy wearing this from time to time, it's not one that I think I could wear every day.

26 June, 2013

mihnea's avatar

Fahrenheit

I discovered Fahrenheit many years ago when my mother gave it to me like a present.

It is quite abstract and surrealistic and brings me to a place, far, far away…

It makes me think of a long journey somewhere far away. It signify the birth and then the death and then again the birth .....

A unique, subtle and genial creation of Dior House.

22 June, 2013

Gary F's avatar

Refined Powerhouse

I once heard someone describe this as smelling like you're mowing the lawn and you spilled a little gas from the mower on your clothes, so you get the smell of freshly cut grass and gasoline fumes. Sounds dreadful, I know...but it's not! It's not an everyday cologne for me, but on my days off when I haven't shaved and slapped on a baseball cap to run errands, this is a fun one to wear.

Pros: Unique
    Cons:

20th June, 2013

DryDownTown's avatar

True classic if you wait for the drydown.

This is a classic. Nothing too special or standout but a very nice fragrance to suit any occasion and after sampling, you will instantly recognise it as one you have probably smelt on somebody before at a social gathering, somebody pleasent I hope.

It's an odd one to me that it goes through 4 distinct stages to my nose. On first spray, fresh out of the bottle on skin I can smell white pepper. Then it turns into a strong smell of Creosote/Tar until it quickly fades into a marine sort of scent, very much much like Bvlgari Aqua. Then it becomes very leathery with a slight soapy background. To anybody familiar with Trumper's range it reminds me of Astor cologne once it has settle but has much better projection and lasting power.

Definitely one for anybody's collection.

Pros: Projection + lasting time.
    Cons: Strange scent when first sprayed.

30th May, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

Fahrenheit by Dior

While I originally gave this fragrance high marks, but after a reformulation of the product which took into effect around 2011, I had to reduce the rating of this one.

What used to be a grassy green fresh bright violet scent with a little bit of a gasoline smell is now a bergamot-leather headache, which to me is vomit inducing and not pleasant at all.

This used to be one of my favorite fragrances, and it was a classic that endured for so long, but this reformulation wasn't just a slight change. It was a dramatic change which took away everything I loved about the original.

Try to find the vintage if you can, but otherwise, avoid this one at all costs.

30th May, 2013

QuasPrimas's avatar

Great stuff!

I tried this because I'm one of those strange people who actually enjoys the smell of gasoline, and I was hoping the much-hyped petroleum note would satisfy in that regard. Alas, it does not. I can absolutely see why some people describe the note like this, but to my nose it's not overbearing gasoline by any stretch: more like a quick burst of scent, which manifests itself to the wearer at the immediate outset in the same way that gasoline assaults the senses when you fill your car and catch a whiff. A scent which behaves like gasoline's scent, rather than smelling like gasoline, per se. Beyond that, the scent is wonderfully fresh and alive, and is very pleasant. To me, it suggests cut grass on a fine morning in early summer, and it makes me wonder if this is perhaps where the gasoline note is coming from, since the petrol-effect leads into these smells, and may evoke a subconscious thought of a lawnmower, where unbridled masculinity, gasoline, and cut grass all come together. Either way, it's a great fragrance, and I shall be buying a bottle.

29 May, 2013

arindam43's avatar

A manly man's scent

An interesting scent, it's hard for me to describe notes, apart from a general floral feeling that I attach to this scent. I don't quite get the gasoline/petrol notes that others do, but I do get the uber masculine vibe that is often attached to this scent.. I have had a close female friend describe this as "manly, super manly....the essence of man scent. Like...'Me Tarzan, you Jane' manly," which fits the bill pretty well, I think. Even though I personally like the scent, it is immediately clear to me why this is a hit or miss, love or hate fragrance, though - the gasoline note that many seem to pick up can be an obvious turn off. There are definitely days where I find this scent to be a little overwhelming, or a "bit too much", so to speak. Safety is definitely not the word of the day when it comes to Fahrenheit; it's much more suited for a night out or the gym than a work setting, in my opinion.

Projection is fantastic - 2-3 sprays is plenty for me. Seems to last forever too, easily get 7+ hours of out it. Have received compliments on this before as well. Overall I find it to be a very bold, masculine scent - great for lifting weights and wrestling bears.

24 May, 2013

Scentologist's avatar

One of the best fragrances ever made. I first came to know Fahrenheit in the fall of 1991, when I was in high school. It was very fresh and unique and I continued to wear it through college and it remains in my collection at the top of my most discerning rotation arsenal.

It begins with slight petroleum note that many associate with the smell of gasoline. This is not overbearing and is crucial to yield a masculine component. It doesn't take long for the nose to recognize the fresh honeysuckle that is grounded by sandalwood. The styrax may lend to additional sweetness but alas, the isn't an overly sweet fragrance. It is masterfully balanced, so much so that its hard to contribute any one aspect of this to the magic that is Fahrenheit.

Whether you're sailing on a yacht with miffy, hanging at home or in the gym, or doing maniacal chores, Fahrenheit always knows how to play dressed up or dressed down. A fragrance that was conceived in 1988 is still relevant and necessary in today's market and it no way smells dates. Its perhaps the pinnacle of my fresh masculines; a classic that is here to stay. If you're wondering, the current formulation is just as divine now as it was then with longevity and sillage galore. Two very big thumbs up!

03 March, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

I just can't get past the gasoline/petrol note. It smells like I was pumping gasoline and spilled it on my hands. Dry down is a little better.

02 March, 2013

Dellinger_DdC's avatar

Chile Chile

Fahrenheit, such a magnificent fragrance, such originality and power waiting to be released every time you spray it. A timeless classic that continues to shine and evoke the essence of man. Fahrenheit probably is one of the few fragrances that is worth every penny and more.

The petroleum vibe is unmistakable, however as years had gone by I don’t really smell “petroleum” anymore, the green/sweet combo from the honeysuckle and mandarin together with some lavender at the opening; the violet, the leather and the vetiver are wonderful and very prominent, the sandalwood is definitely there, just on the background, there is indeed benzoin at the base giving some sweetness and fullness and now that I pay attention after reading the notes I could say that I begin to smell the Pistacia just a little bit. Man, this is epic, this is marvelous.

The downside is that the current formulation is so watered down that the longevity has been lost and I dare to say that the rawness from the ingredients are no longer there but it just shows that in spite of every hit this fragrance has taken there is just no way to bring this masterpiece down. Fantastic.

16 February, 2013