Reviews of Fendi Uomo by Fendi

Obviously MASCULINE.It smells interesting at the bigining when you first spray but not for all.FENDI UOMO a true CLASSIC.it is definitely HEAVY but i would't say it is unique.

When you wearning this cologne people will think you have a particular style.Nice and warm.the base notes is woody and a little remembered GUCCI PH for me.

Not for every day.perfect for cold winter nights definitely special occasions.it makes you feel warm.Sillage and longevity are very Good.Anyway i recommend to test before buying.

7.5/10
12th April, 2015
An old school smoker .Has a slight hint of JHL.Had to find.
31st January, 2015
Fendi Uomo opens as a fresh-herbal aromatic fougère with an tamed down leathery-woody base, quite soft but “virile”, and an overall sharp barbershop feel (lavender, carnation, citrus notes, leather...). Fairly pleasant, clean and well made, but frankly also quite conventional, at least initially and for a while – in a “boring” meaning, much similar to many other fougères from the ‘80s in the same kind of leathery-herbal style (no powerhouses, no civet/leather bombs, rather just “dad’s classy aftershave”). Nonetheless, during the evolution it becomes more interesting, more unique and quite more fascinating: it gets darker, drier, losing a bit of its formal understatement and becoming more smoky, more austere, more sophisticated and shady. Fans of recent Amouage leather-based scents like Journey Man may like this (just compare the drydowns). It’s still somehow conventional, therefore still a tad boring honestly, but good. Overall I’d consider it a solid, compelling, understated, not-that-exciting “all-year-rounder”, unworthy any high price or chase, but worth a try for any herbal-leathery fougère fan.

6,5-7/10
01st January, 2015

Complex, mature and quite elegant

I have nothing but admiration for the old italian style of perfume making, and Fendi Uomo is typical of this.

The fragrance opens up with a host of notes that can be almost overwhelming but which work together really well to give the impression of a well dressed, slightly conservative image of a man. Pure masculinity in the old tradition.

With lavender, cinnamon, carnation and herbs, followed by rose, iris and vetiver, with leather, patchouli and amber constantly in the background. It can be dense and a little heavy, but it dries down beautifully with leather and earthy, herbal florals to give this impression of masculinity. Think expensive cut suits with wide lapels, the finest Italian leather shoes, immaculate grooming. I don't see this primarily as an "old man" type of fragrance, but more of a "classic" style type of scent. Like a young man in an old Italian film or magazine dressed in the best male fashion of his day.

In this world where this kind of smell is slowly disappearing (Fendi Uomo has been discontinued for some time now), it really is nice to smell the old classic style of masculinity once again. Nostalgia, yes... but certainly worth it.
24th August, 2014
A lavender with coriander and some bergamot sets the tone in the opening phase, with iris and carnation developing as middle notes. A bit of wood is also present and a mild patchouli.  On my skin it does not develop on a particularly exciting way. Limited silage and projection with about three hours of longevity.
31st October, 2013
Ive now had 2 bottles of this and i love it. Sadly, this has now been discontinued. Only it hasnt. It was reincarnated as YSL's M7 in 2002. They smell exactly the same and i cant believe no-one else has picked up on this!? Basically, saw some pine in half and rub some cherries on the end. Smell. This is what Fendi Uomo smells like. Unique. Sort of.

Update!
This smells the same as M7 Oud Absolou, not the original M7. My mistake. But if you like Uomo, try M7 Oud Absolou.
23rd September, 2012 (last edited: 24th September, 2012)
simply great, rich, powerful, traditional fouger 80's style!
07th August, 2012
You are spending a year abroad in Roma, the eternal city. You have treated yourself to an expensive FENDI leather tote bag. It will become your souvenir when you return home and remind you of shopping daily at the open air markets.

Today you are shopping for ingredients for a lovely fish dinner you are preparing for a special friend you met living in your building. You head out with the FENDI tote to a favorite market near the Spanish Steps. You toss in a couple of plump lemons and a particularly fragrant bunch of marjoram. Your eye catches a lovely older woman who makes home-made lavender soaps and purchase one for a sybaritic bath later that evening before your guest arrives. Before you head home you peruse the flower section for a bouquet for the dinner table. There is a mixed arrangement that looks particularly appealing. It is comprised of white carnations, white lilies and a few sprigs of jasmine thrown in. It will be perfect in the candlelight.

You stop at a sidewalk cafe' for an expresso before returning back to your apartment. This is the hottest part of the day and your filled tote sits in the sun for a spell. The fragrant items in that tote are at their peak. When you return home you open your tote and the most wonderful aroma of herbs, flowers, soap and of course, the smell of expensive leather envelope you. You are in rapture. That is the smell of FENDI UOMO in a nutshell.

When this was launched in the 80's there was the most sexy promotional film used in department stores. It was a beautiful Roman woman searching desperately through a burning Roman temple. She finally finds what she is looking for, a classical male nude marble statue. She approaches it and gives him a kiss on the lips. Lo and behold he turns human from his solid state. She is in sheer bliss. That is the way I feel when I wear UOMO.
30th July, 2012
I like finding things I was looking for without trying. I enjoy S.T. Dupont and to some extent Declaration, but neither one works well on me. Well, Fendi Uomo smells a lot like Dupont without the Galbanum or the elegant smokiness. The cedar and coconut warmth is still there, though, along with something different - a scarce but pretty rose note, like a whisper of Halston Limited thrown in. This is not by most standards an exceptional fragrance, but it works for me in a simple, reliable, and pleasant way that I really appreciate.
11th January, 2012
I bought a large bottle of this untried and at whim when I saw it on sale for under $20. I had recalled some of the great reviews on-line and couldn’t resist the very retro dark faux marble and gold bottle.

Little did I realise what was about to unfold…… this fragrance just about blew my head off!

Although the drydown is sublime in its nature, unfortunately, the top notes are just far too abrasive for me. I know that each nose is different and we all have our own olfactory preferences, but I’m not kidding when I say that the first blast was like my nostrils had been assaulted by some kind of hot, spicy, almost poisonous gas!

I had been forewarned about its strength, so I was careful not to over-apply. One spray on each wrist and one on my chest was all it took to completely overwhelm me. Initially, I was tempted to run to the shower and immediately wash the whole lot off, but then I decided to give this classic its fair due and see where this assault would lead.

The very strong abrasive notes lasted a good 2 – 3 hours before the whole thing started to calm down. About 4 – 5 hours later, I was enveloped in a gorgeous & entrancing herbal sweet musk. Unfortunately, by this time I was far too olfactorily (is that a word?) exhausted that I couldn’t enjoy it as I’m sure it was intended. When I awoke the next morning, I could still clearly detect the herbal musky drydown; this is some 14 hours after a 3 spray application!

I can certainly see that some guys could pull this off and enjoy it too, but I guess I’m just not courageous enough to endure the almost 4 hour assault on my senses, before the drydown.
28th April, 2011
Bigsly Show all reviews
I've seen another note pyramid that lists angelica, marjoram, and coconut too. If this is true, these notes may account for the "brightness" I experience here, but don't in many similar masculine fragrance of this type from this era. On the other hand, it doesn't have a "wow factor" like some of those others do. I guess if you want "old school elegance," this might be the one to reach for, especially for a formal event. I've got too many of these kinds of fragrances (that I enjoy more) to feel compelled to acquire a bottle of this one, however. It's natural-smelling, with good longevity. The projection/"sillage" is moderate, at least beyond the top notes, which I always try to avoid.
15th March, 2011
A decidedly sour and astringent "appalling" welcome is the prelude for a powderfully spicy (pungent and sweet) and floral heart before the scent keeps sliding towards an obscure, heavy, mossy and leathery base. The outcome is a strong, bitter, herbal, dark concoction, a sort of liquor epitome of the 80's, onedimensional (in an opposite way in comparison with the changeful initial phase) and due to be worn just for formal events. This one is very strong, spicy and dirty (musk and leather together in a stout connection) and i detect furthermore a sort of woody (sandalwood) and dense rooty (vetiver, patchouli) temperament slightly sweetened by amber and a bunch of rich flower as carnation and cyclamen. Forbidding and conservative.
03rd February, 2011 (last edited: 08th January, 2014)
How would I define Fendi Uomo? "Quorum in a tuxedo".
Both strong patchouli/leather scents, but while Quorum is intrusive and with an attitude, Fendi Uomo is gentler, maybe a little more friendly, but still is a ballsbusting macho perfume yelling "I am here" (while wearing silk gloves).
The bitter Artemisia note in Quorum (which I love) is replaced by Coriander and Angelica in Fendi, not as "sharp" as Quorum giving Fendi a rounder and deeper feel. The heart is much much more complex in Fendi with Jasmine taking a more prominent role in Fendi, and while Quorum is woodier, Fendi is spicier. Then, in both, patchouli takes the reins sitting in this rich leather saddle and would not let go until the cows come home. Quorum's drydown being mossier and Fendi's sweeter, but both highly enjoyable.
Although they are somewhat different perfumes, they share too many facets that I can not think in one without thinking in the other. I love them both and while Quorum appeals to the brute in me, Fendi appeals to a more sophisticated me.
This review is for the vintage Fendi (Horizontal clear Window) and not for the reformulated one (Vertical clear window) I think the bad reviews here may refer to the reformulated one.
09th December, 2010

My review is for the vintage version. I am thankful to Fendi for discontinuing Uomo, it demonstrates that they have the humility to acknowledge their mistakes. There is much that I would have enjoyed were it not for the petroleum note that has been allowed to roam unfettered throughout the whole Uomo experience. Whilst I enjoyed this vibe with Knize Ten, Fendi have simply overdone it.It all feels very contrived, synthetic and unbalanced.

This is one of those occasions where you need only look at the quality of the bottle to establish the value of the contents. Not quite a disaster, but close.
28th August, 2010 (last edited: 11th November, 2012)
Boozy. Masculine. Rich. Eighties. Powerhouse. Beautiful.

All words I'd pick to describe this scent.
It opens with a sharp kick but settles down to a beyond rich base.
Eighties in a bottle, but not in a bad way. Over application WILL kill you.
If used in moderation (I think two sprays would be more than enough), it can be a wonderful scent through and through.
30th June, 2010
I like to explore all corners of the masterpiece notes in Fendi. Starting with top sharp & strong of citruses & herbal that can not be dealt. The middles & base so rich and complex with leather, flowers and patchouli. This is the monster to reveal the infinite. Although I have a reformulation, but this is very satisfying balancing of patchouli for me and very class. Absolutely for formal & special occasion and never over apply it
26th May, 2010
Yes, it's superstrong. Yes it's spicy. Yes it can knock you over. The answer to this conundrum, that is, the cologne that doesn't know its own strength...simply use less. Spray it on before you get dressed (half a spritz, this one) and it will emanate pleasantly. Problem solved.
I think this is one of the most delightful scents ever devised. Never fails to amaze me every time I smell it. The definition of "rich" (as in food). It seems Fendi has discontined it, which doesn't surprise me. This one never quite got the props it deserved...and the awful, dated bottle (tacky from the start) has never helped. If the House of Fendi is smart, they'll reformulate this into a lighter updated version with new packaging. It deserves a second chance.
12th March, 2010
shamu1 Show all reviews
Spicy, rich, and heavy as lead, Fendi Uomo practically defines what a “powerhouse” scent is. It is certainly not for everyone. In fact, until I joined Basenotes and re-kindled my interest in heavy fragrances, I used to hate Fendi Uomo, despite having many strong fragrances in my wardrobe. I thought of it as a loud, tacky and outdated 1980s scent bomb.

But, as I found with Quorum (a scent which I find shares many similarities to Fendi Uomo), it is good to spend time away from a fragrance before revisiting it, and the time away from Fendi did me some good. I just recently bought a bottle of this blind, and I’m glad I did, because this is one potent and dense fragrance, kind of like a refined Quorum. I won’t even try to describe how this scent progresses, I’ll leave that to more capable reviewers. What I will say is that Fendi Uomo seems to contain just about every spicy and heavy fragrance note and accord known to man: patchouli, cinnamon, leather, amber, vanilla, musk, sandalwood – perfumery’s heavy hitters. Fendi also has an overall dirty and animalic feel to it, which I enjoy a lot, though I don’t believe there are any animalic ingredients here. Despite its intense spiciness and weight, Fendi doesn’t have the crudeness and ballbusting machismo of a Quorum; most of its rough edges, which are right out in the open in Quorum, are smoothed out with the heavy amber and musk in the base. Fendi Uomo is heavy but relatively refined.

I can understand why someone would hate this – it’s loud, extremely heavy and definitely lets you know that it’s a child of the 80s. Fans of strong scents, however, should find a lot to enjoy with Fendi Uomo.
05th December, 2009
Looks like a love it or hate it fragrance. I hate it. It's a real stinker. Comes off overly boozy, leathery and spicy/herbal. It's so potent that it gets to the point of smothering you into oblivion. This is a fragrance that ends up wearing you.
31st October, 2008
Hideous, vulgar and intrusive. Not as good as Azzaro or Aramis. No thanks.
20th October, 2008
UNIQUE!! LIKE NOT OTHER, i reminds of ROMA iN those ANCIENT times of real men, machos..I LOVE THIS MASTERPIECE, BUT I'M SO SORRY IT´S DISCONTINUED
31st August, 2008
I agree with the previous observations on the boozy opening. That said it settles down to a very pleasent and individual leathery/sweet scent. I note that most fragrances can be overpowering if you go mad with the application and this fragrance is no different in that respect. You really need just a couple of sprays and your done. Ideal for more formal occasions.
04th December, 2007
SniffR Show all reviews
Spicy, complex and wonderful!
11th November, 2006
Very boozy opening, as is with a lot of the older fendis, that fades quickly to reveal a magical time-travelling trip to the 80’s. This scent borders the line between the typical macho scents of yore and the elegant, more refined scents that came about in the late 80’s. This one came out in the late 80’s logically but it seemed awfully consevative at the time. The thing is, it is not a bad scent at all, in fact, one can be very drawn to it easily, the sillage is important and there’s this Dad quality that makes it somewhat comfortable. As usual with 80’s scents, this one has a decent longevity. I agree with a lot of what foetidus wrote, and I don’t want to repeat the notes featured either, as they are all very much present in the scent. But I will say that the woody, leathery drydown is very nice, in very masculine kind of way. The patchouli here is not very prominent but it gives it a twist, reminiscent of books and libraries –dust and spiderwebs included. If you happen to like it, please don’t shower with it like my next-door neighbor does.
22nd October, 2006
Powerful, leathery, spicy, animalic. Like Yatagan, Antaeus, Balafre and others, this stuff is not for fans of those namby-pamby, pallid, androgynous, "aquatic" disasters out there that millions now call scent.

Fendi Uomo is an Eighties power scent all the way, and it makes no bones about it. If you like Escada or Santos, I can see no reason why you wouldn't like Fendi Uomo, too. The bottle, while interesting, IS hilariously dated in an Eighties kind of a way (looks like Corian trying to look like granite), but that's OK -- I'm not the flacon freak I once was.
21st October, 2006
This is one of those fragrances that smell better from the paper card than it does on my skin. Smelled close to my skin it is rather mediocre and nondemensional and, especially in the opening, there is a petroleum-like note that doesn’t improve the fragrance. But the SILLAGE produced might be considered quite pleasant: It opens with a lavender / herbal accord that manages to seem dry and near-fresh at the same time. The general notes tend to be spicy, leathery, dry, masculine, and reminiscent of the notes of the earlier 80’s. The scent is rather linear and produces a lighter sillage than many of its contemporaries IMO. Fendi Uomo is not a terrible scent, but all things considered, there’s not that much I like about it—and it’s been done much better.
17th September, 2006
This is a nice fragrance, refreshing. It's something you might smell on a gentleman's riding jacket (before the ride, of course). Masculine without being overwhelming.
10th August, 2006
I remember liking this one. Why did they discontinue it. It was a very fine scent. Not to strong, not to week. A real powerhouse if you ask me. In the same style of Gucci Envy maybe. Bring it back.
benb
12th May, 2006
I'm a fan of strong, masculine, leathery scents. This one fits the bill--- reminds me a bit of Trussardi Uomo, though I prefer the latter.
21st April, 2006
I really like this one. It is a little heavy maybe too heavy for casual or office wear but perfect for a formal night out with that special someone. It smells realy good very classic smeels of leather and musk(musk is overpowering at first but dries down real nice in a matter of minutes) and last for hours.
26th March, 2006