Positive Reviews of Fendi Uomo by Fendi

Find out more about Fendi Uomo by Fendi in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

tempest moon's avatar

Complex, mature and quite elegant

I have nothing but admiration for the old italian style of perfume making, and Fendi Uomo is typical of this.

The fragrance opens up with a host of notes that can be almost overwhelming but which work together really well to give the impression of a well dressed, slightly conservative image of a man. Pure masculinity in the old tradition.

With lavender, cinnamon, carnation and herbs, followed by rose, iris and vetiver, with leather, patchouli and amber constantly in the background. It can be dense and a little heavy, but it dries down beautifully with leather and earthy, herbal florals to give this impression of masculinity. Think expensive cut suits with wide lapels, the finest Italian leather shoes, immaculate grooming. I don't see this primarily as an "old man" type of fragrance, but more of a "classic" style type of scent. Like a young man in an old Italian film or magazine dressed in the best male fashion of his day.

In this world where this kind of smell is slowly disappearing (Fendi Uomo has been discontinued for some time now), it really is nice to smell the old classic style of masculinity once again. Nostalgia, yes... but certainly worth it.

24 August, 2014

rbaker's avatar

A lavender with coriander and some bergamot sets the tone in the opening phase, with iris and carnation developing as middle notes. A bit of wood is also present and a mild patchouli.  On my skin it does not develop on a particularly exciting way. Limited silage and projection with about three hours of longevity.

31st October, 2013

Fantasticmrcox's avatar

Ive now had 2 bottles of this and i love it. Sadly, this has now been discontinued. Only it hasnt. It was reincarnated as YSL's M7 in 2002. They smell exactly the same and i cant believe no-one else has picked up on this!? Basically, saw some pine in half and rub some cherries on the end. Smell. This is what Fendi Uomo smells like. Unique. Sort of.

Update!
    This smells the same as M7 Oud Absolou, not the original M7. My mistake. But if you like Uomo, try M7 Oud Absolou.

23 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 September, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

simply great, rich, powerful, traditional fouger 80's style!

07 August, 2012

ObsessionForMen's avatar

You are spending a year abroad in Roma, the eternal city. You have treated yourself to an expensive FENDI leather tote bag. It will become your souvenir when you return home and remind you of shopping daily at the open air markets.

Today you are shopping for ingredients for a lovely fish dinner you are preparing for a special friend you met living in your building. You head out with the FENDI tote to a favorite market near the Spanish Steps. You toss in a couple of plump lemons and a particularly fragrant bunch of marjoram. Your eye catches a lovely older woman who makes home-made lavender soaps and purchase one for a sybaritic bath later that evening before your guest arrives. Before you head home you peruse the flower section for a bouquet for the dinner table. There is a mixed arrangement that looks particularly appealing. It is comprised of white carnations, white lilies and a few sprigs of jasmine thrown in. It will be perfect in the candlelight.

You stop at a sidewalk cafe' for an expresso before returning back to your apartment. This is the hottest part of the day and your filled tote sits in the sun for a spell. The fragrant items in that tote are at their peak. When you return home you open your tote and the most wonderful aroma of herbs, flowers, soap and of course, the smell of expensive leather envelope you. You are in rapture. That is the smell of FENDI UOMO in a nutshell.

When this was launched in the 80's there was the most sexy promotional film used in department stores. It was a beautiful Roman woman searching desperately through a burning Roman temple. She finally finds what she is looking for, a classical male nude marble statue. She approaches it and gives him a kiss on the lips. Lo and behold he turns human from his solid state. She is in sheer bliss. That is the way I feel when I wear UOMO.

30th July, 2012

Shifty Bat's avatar

I like finding things I was looking for without trying. I enjoy S.T. Dupont and to some extent Declaration, but neither one works well on me. Well, Fendi Uomo smells a lot like Dupont without the Galbanum or the elegant smokiness. The cedar and coconut warmth is still there, though, along with something different - a scarce but pretty rose note, like a whisper of Halston Limited thrown in. This is not by most standards an exceptional fragrance, but it works for me in a simple, reliable, and pleasant way that I really appreciate.

11th January, 2012

Bigsly's avatar

I've seen another note pyramid that lists angelica, marjoram, and coconut too. If this is true, these notes may account for the "brightness" I experience here, but don't in many similar masculine fragrance of this type from this era. On the other hand, it doesn't have a "wow factor" like some of those others do. I guess if you want "old school elegance," this might be the one to reach for, especially for a formal event. I've got too many of these kinds of fragrances (that I enjoy more) to feel compelled to acquire a bottle of this one, however. It's natural-smelling, with good longevity. The projection/"sillage" is moderate, at least beyond the top notes, which I always try to avoid.

15 March, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar

How would I define Fendi Uomo? "Quorum in a tuxedo".
    Both strong patchouli/leather scents, but while Quorum is intrusive and with an attitude, Fendi Uomo is gentler, maybe a little more friendly, but still is a ballsbusting macho perfume yelling "I am here" (while wearing silk gloves).
    The bitter Artemisia note in Quorum (which I love) is replaced by Coriander and Angelica in Fendi, not as "sharp" as Quorum giving Fendi a rounder and deeper feel. The heart is much much more complex in Fendi with Jasmine taking a more prominent role in Fendi, and while Quorum is woodier, Fendi is spicier. Then, in both, patchouli takes the reins sitting in this rich leather saddle and would not let go until the cows come home. Quorum's drydown being mossier and Fendi's sweeter, but both highly enjoyable.
    Although they are somewhat different perfumes, they share too many facets that I can not think in one without thinking in the other. I love them both and while Quorum appeals to the brute in me, Fendi appeals to a more sophisticated me.
    This review is for the vintage Fendi (Horizontal clear Window) and not for the reformulated one (Vertical clear window) I think the bad reviews here may refer to the reformulated one.

09 December, 2010

D.Sprad's avatar

Boozy. Masculine. Rich. Eighties. Powerhouse. Beautiful.

All words I'd pick to describe this scent.
    It opens with a sharp kick but settles down to a beyond rich base.
    Eighties in a bottle, but not in a bad way. Over application WILL kill you.
    If used in moderation (I think two sprays would be more than enough), it can be a wonderful scent through and through.

30th June, 2010

ruffin's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

I like to explore all corners of the masterpiece notes in Fendi. Starting with top sharp & strong of citruses & herbal that can not be dealt. The middles & base so rich and complex with leather, flowers and patchouli. This is the monster to reveal the infinite. Although I have a reformulation, but this is very satisfying balancing of patchouli for me and very class. Absolutely for formal & special occasion and never over apply it

26 May, 2010

colormechris's avatar

Yes, it's superstrong. Yes it's spicy. Yes it can knock you over. The answer to this conundrum, that is, the cologne that doesn't know its own strength...simply use less. Spray it on before you get dressed (half a spritz, this one) and it will emanate pleasantly. Problem solved.
    I think this is one of the most delightful scents ever devised. Never fails to amaze me every time I smell it. The definition of "rich" (as in food). It seems Fendi has discontined it, which doesn't surprise me. This one never quite got the props it deserved...and the awful, dated bottle (tacky from the start) has never helped. If the House of Fendi is smart, they'll reformulate this into a lighter updated version with new packaging. It deserves a second chance.

12 March, 2010

shamu1's avatar

Spicy, rich, and heavy as lead, Fendi Uomo practically defines what a “powerhouse” scent is. It is certainly not for everyone. In fact, until I joined Basenotes and re-kindled my interest in heavy fragrances, I used to hate Fendi Uomo, despite having many strong fragrances in my wardrobe. I thought of it as a loud, tacky and outdated 1980s scent bomb.

But, as I found with Quorum (a scent which I find shares many similarities to Fendi Uomo), it is good to spend time away from a fragrance before revisiting it, and the time away from Fendi did me some good. I just recently bought a bottle of this blind, and I’m glad I did, because this is one potent and dense fragrance, kind of like a refined Quorum. I won’t even try to describe how this scent progresses, I’ll leave that to more capable reviewers. What I will say is that Fendi Uomo seems to contain just about every spicy and heavy fragrance note and accord known to man: patchouli, cinnamon, leather, amber, vanilla, musk, sandalwood – perfumery’s heavy hitters. Fendi also has an overall dirty and animalic feel to it, which I enjoy a lot, though I don’t believe there are any animalic ingredients here. Despite its intense spiciness and weight, Fendi doesn’t have the crudeness and ballbusting machismo of a Quorum; most of its rough edges, which are right out in the open in Quorum, are smoothed out with the heavy amber and musk in the base. Fendi Uomo is heavy but relatively refined.

I can understand why someone would hate this – it’s loud, extremely heavy and definitely lets you know that it’s a child of the 80s. Fans of strong scents, however, should find a lot to enjoy with Fendi Uomo.

05 December, 2009

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar

Argentina Argentina

UNIQUE!! LIKE NOT OTHER, i reminds of ROMA iN those ANCIENT times of real men, machos..I LOVE THIS MASTERPIECE, BUT I'M SO SORRY IT´S DISCONTINUED

31st August, 2008

carlos-uk's avatar

I agree with the previous observations on the boozy opening. That said it settles down to a very pleasent and individual leathery/sweet scent. I note that most fragrances can be overpowering if you go mad with the application and this fragrance is no different in that respect. You really need just a couple of sprays and your done. Ideal for more formal occasions.

04 December, 2007

SniffR's avatar

Spicy, complex and wonderful!

11th November, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

Powerful, leathery, spicy, animalic. Like Yatagan, Antaeus, Balafre and others, this stuff is not for fans of those namby-pamby, pallid, androgynous, "aquatic" disasters out there that millions now call scent.

Fendi Uomo is an Eighties power scent all the way, and it makes no bones about it. If you like Escada or Santos, I can see no reason why you wouldn't like Fendi Uomo, too. The bottle, while interesting, IS hilariously dated in an Eighties kind of a way (looks like Corian trying to look like granite), but that's OK -- I'm not the flacon freak I once was.

21st October, 2006

Ensoleille's avatar

This is a nice fragrance, refreshing. It's something you might smell on a gentleman's riding jacket (before the ride, of course). Masculine without being overwhelming.

10th August, 2006

benb's avatar

I remember liking this one. Why did they discontinue it. It was a very fine scent. Not to strong, not to week. A real powerhouse if you ask me. In the same style of Gucci Envy maybe. Bring it back.
    benb

12 May, 2006

aubrgene's avatar

I'm a fan of strong, masculine, leathery scents. This one fits the bill--- reminds me a bit of Trussardi Uomo, though I prefer the latter.

21st April, 2006

NaturalBornThrilla's avatar

I really like this one. It is a little heavy maybe too heavy for casual or office wear but perfect for a formal night out with that special someone. It smells realy good very classic smeels of leather and musk(musk is overpowering at first but dries down real nice in a matter of minutes) and last for hours.

26 March, 2006

Naed_Nitram's avatar

A fine old woody gentleman from yesteryear. (de Charlus)

06 February, 2006

iMaverick's avatar

A REAL bad-boy leather! Opens with fresh powdery leather qualities, then becomes a sweaty leather of the nomadic and adventurous (yes, cumin in the house), and finally dries down with a clean vetiver hidden beneath all these layers of sinfulness. Sharp and powerful, it exemplifies the house that it truly is.

I loved this fragrance when it first came out, as a matter of fact, I believe that it was a lot richer and more refined with its original composition. I found a 100 ml at a giveaway price and tried it again after 17 years...similar, but not what I remembered. Tried it again today, and yes! a punch in the face, smouldering with intense masculine bravado and refinement. So masculine, I could chew on wood with this, no mockery, just definite understanding that this is a MAN's fragrance!!!

26 December, 2005

nepv's avatar

I had never bought it 10 years ago.
    today it's one of my favorites. classic,masculine woody-leathery fragrance,nice bottle too.

18 November, 2003

John.com's avatar

I would compare this to Aramis taken down a couple notches. I adore Aramis so the rest is obvious...Leather and spice.

15 December, 2002

opalsdad's avatar

A powerful leather fragrance, dry and animalic. A large and wonderful bottle encases this liquid. I prefer some other leather scents to this, but it is very nice and very masculine.

26 November, 2002