Reviews of Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

Find out more about Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

's avatar

Clearly inspired by Boss Bottled, Ferrari Black is a good scent, but smells too synthetic to my nose.
    The apple note is very loud and also the other notes are sharp and that turns my stomach sometimes.
    Sillage, lasting power and projection are high.

16th March, 2013

mtheory8's avatar

great, cheap fragrance. smelled boss bottled and its definitely similar with the apple note.

people that say "this and that smells cheap", I just don't get it. I think a lot of it is just placebo effect. I mean, imagine if neither fragrances are marked, AND you don't know that one is more expensive than the other, can you really smell one and say "oh yea, if someone put a price tag on both of them, this would be the more expensive". I doubt it.

bottom line, I think this is a fine fragrance, projection and longevitiy is a little spotty, though. but the scent is great. inoffensive, and SUPER versatile IMO.

03rd March, 2013

classicrock's avatar

Great stuff. Simialr to Boss Bottled for sure. Almost identical. But more linear,cleaner, and cooler (temperature wise, not socially ;) ) It's good for summer when Boss Bottled seems a bit too warm. Very wearable in almost any occasion I can think of. A shape-shifter - could be dressed up or down, and used by young or old. I could picture this fitting really well on someone who's just walking around in summer clothing at the beach as well as someone attending a wedding, or on a date - just about anything. Great scent! The MOST versatile I've ever come across. 10/10, and I'm not just saying so!

17th October, 2012

The_Cologneist's avatar

Revising my previous review, I was once head over heels for this stuff. It smelled like Boss Bottled at a fraction of the price; lasted as long, projected as well. However, overtime I realized how cheap and sickening Ferrari Black really smelled. Now, Boss Bottled (arguably its predecessor) is definitley synthetic smelling, but at the same time, very balanced. Ferrari Black is not.

In the opening I get a sugary sweet, powdery, vanilla, tonka and apple type smell. It stays very linear, and dries down about the same as how it opens. There's some sort of spiced note in there, my guess is the cinnamon, that just goes right down your throat. I think this is what really ruins it for me. Too much of this, too much vanilla, too much apple, too loud and obnoxious. Would be a good fragrance for a clothing store.. I could totally see like Aeropostal with this one. Or even a cheap Pac Sun line. Bought my bottle for 22 bucks, sold it for 5.

To compare this really, picture an overly sweet version of Caron Pour Un Homme, take out a good deal of Caron's musk, and there ya have it.

26th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 12th December, 2012)

nfn1983's avatar

Iran Iran

As have been mentioned I think it's a watered down & poorer quality edition of Boss Bottled! smells exactly the same (as I'm using its shower gel & afret shave balm with my remaining Boss Bottled and quite happy with that!!!) but less classy and more generic.
    also I had very poor longevity and projection with this.

17th February, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Rose and fruits on a bed of woodsy creams and suede. It's not bad. I don't detect the metal, i perceive a sort of leathery smell when the dry down is settled. It's like to smell a foam due to refine the wood. It's surely a synthetical smell. The dry down is pleasant with its amber-vanilla accord and with a notable presence of musk. The outcome is very smooth, creamy with nuances of suede, flowers, fruits and mild wood. Longevity and sillage are in the average.

10th April, 2011

odysseusm's avatar

Maybe the automobile connection is that this would make a good dangly car mirror air freshener.
    Synthetic, metallic, sweet, cheap, irritating.

16th February, 2011

silentrich's avatar

Very synthetic metallic scent. To call this fragrance black is a joke. Sillage is pityful and it lasts less than 2 hours. If you must buy a Ferrari fragrance go with Ferrari Red. I've actually tried giving this away to no avail. I think I'm going to use it as an air freshner for my car.

03rd February, 2011

LEBRON JAMES's avatar

I actually blind purchased this fragrance off what a friend had told be about it. After smelling it, i was very suprised. It has very similar note break-down with Boss #6 (Boss Bottled). The lime and plum makes it a bit more fruity smelling, and a bit less sweet than Boss #6. Great longevity and projection. It also has a bit of a metallic note, possibly from the alluminum bottle? I'm not sure. But if you liked Boss' #6, i would highly recommend this fragrance.

21st January, 2011 (Last Edited: 25th January, 2011)

's avatar

Why Black?? why is it for man?
    i think it should be unisex. So sweet, and base note is a little spicy.

19th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 26th March, 2010)

redludesh's avatar

One of the best colognes ever produced in my humble opinion. My secret weapon if you will. It's very affordable, gets tons of compliments, makes you smell like a million bucks. It's like sitting in a brand new Ferrari and taking a big whiff of the leather and suede. If I had to choose only one cologne to have forever this would be it. Sadly it doesn't last too long or project very heavily which is only bad because i feel everyone should experience this :-) One you have someone close to you thou they won't be able to get enough.

19th February, 2010

Metallically synthetic, and not in the most pleasant way. Ferrari Black is pretty typical of the automobile fragrances – unoriginal, fruity, sweet, and featuring a strong vanilla / amber drydown that somehow is short of lasting ability. But it’s certainly not the worst one of its sort, and it probably won’t be the last of its kind, either.

01st February, 2010

B7I1A's avatar

A very nice and unique smell. The top is slightly sweet and then it dryies down to a kind of sweet-metallic smell. I get a lot of the red apple at the top and then the cinnamon and finally the Musk-crystals.
    The longevity and projection is awsome on my skin, it last the whole day. Even if it has a great longevity it is not overpowering, there is allways like a slight smell around me which remembers me that i am wearin it (very nice!). I would suggest it for fall, but you can wear it every season.
    You have to try it on your skin and smell it a couple of hours after you put it on. A MUST TRY (even if it's not from a big fragrance-house).

13th December, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

This is certainly preferable to the appalling Ferrari Red, but it remains too indistinct and lacking in genuine quality to be considered a winner. The citrus opening is of poor quality, and certainly not of the standard required to make this fragrance stand out from the crowd. The heart notes make a brief appearance, a lightly spiced floral blend that add nothing and depart much too quickly. With a vanilla, amber and cedar dry down, it finishes better than it begins, but it has little to commend it.

16th October, 2009

Elias Saif's avatar

Bangladesh Bangladesh

I wanted to buy a perfume which will bring me comments... I was impressed by this one when I sprayed it on me from the tester. I bought it immediately. Then realized that it doesn't stay long. Only gives a better impression first one hour.

06th October, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

This is surprisingly good. Probably the smoothest ride from Ferrari's stable. I know that's not saying much but a guy who just ventured into the world of colognes could easily do a lot worse than picking FB. An affordable yet pleasant choice, it beats quite a few of the designer citruses at their game.

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th September, 2009)

Utkuak's avatar

Finland Finland

This was one of the first fragrances that I bought, but even back then I didn't think this was that great. My initial impression was that this is "nice", and because at the time I wasn't aware of any better offerings I bought it.

At the store I only tried Black on paper and thought that it's a mild citrus, but once I tried it on my skin at home, I quickly realized that this is more of an inoffensive oriental with some lemony smell thrown in. At the time I wasn't aware that scents are usually "supposed" to develop as time passes, so I didn't expect any development, nor was there any to speak of. To my nose the smell stayed pretty much the same the entire time.

After a few uses this became really boring and when I compare it to all the other fragrances I've tried after buying this one, I can also say that Black smells kind of cheap. I could have given this one a neutral rating because I don't hate the way it smells, but when I hardly have anything positive to say, I'm going with thumbs down. There are many better fragrances available at this price so get one of those, unless Ferrari Black is exactly what you are looking for.

05th April, 2009

's avatar

My father use to own Armani mania and I've gotta say, these 2 smell so alike, I almost don't know the difference.

I bought Ferrari black for cheap and wear it from time to time. It's not a favorite, but its gotten positive feedback from others around me. I use to know a girl that went crazy over it. She called it "spicy" and "daring".

I suppose I can agree. If you find this for a good deal, its another alternative to mania.

20th January, 2009

Ronin's avatar

I wanted to try the Ferrari fragrances and I bought Black blind. I must say that I am satisfied with this but I just would have liked it to have more sillage. Even though I can personally smell it I do not know how well it projects towards others. A decent casual fragrance best worn during the warmer months.

28th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 19th June, 2009)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Neither Eau de Rochas, Loewe Para Hombre, Versace l'Homme (1984) nor Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes need shake in their boots with fear. On the other hand, Armani Eau PH and a hundred other trendy lime-lemon citrus bombs which would rightly be forgotten but for the designer label should hang their heads in shame.
    This is an uplifting el cheapo, which does for citrus what that other cheapo, Clinique Happy does for oranges--in fact it does it better.
    And to add to that, what SirSlarty said, word for word.
    Get yer compliments!

22nd July, 2008

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

If I had the option to choose Ten Thumbs Down, I would.

This one makes me nauseous for some reason. Sweetly uncomfortable. Sillage is okay but the "sillage" itself that is given out is lackluster.

Smells similar to Dunhill Blue.
    With hundreds of better offerings -- avoid like the plague.

11th July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Shiny sweet citrus and fruits that doesn't smell like too many other colognes I've tried. Unique and has a metallic accord that could've made itself at home with Creed but becomes a too pedestrian near the end. This is still a great scent and worth a try or a buy.

18th June, 2008

ampiko's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

A good buy. Good sillage and longevity.
    Laid back and sober. Metallic notes with musk are evident in the dry down.

28th June, 2007

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Yeah, a very mild pleasant oriental. Comparable to Hugo Boss, yes but less sophisticated. More comparable to Hugo's Energize which I call Boringize.

Does not develop, but it is a pleasant frag. Sillage and stay average. I would recommend frag only if you do not want something distugstingly sweet like Pi but want a mild oriental. Me, I want more personality.

19th May, 2007

vawallpa's avatar

This has been said before but it really does smell like Boss Bottled, not as sweet though. Nice scent recommended for older men.

09th May, 2007

Subhalen's avatar

I just received this today and my wife gave it a 2 thumbs up.. I really like the scent and even like it more since my wife likes it (I have struck out several times by buying something with rave reviews and she saying it stunk). Just my two cents (Scents)..!

31st December, 2006

LeMâle's avatar

I really like how this one smells, it's very different from anything else I own. I just feel it doesn't last very long nor does it project well. I would recommend this but I can't say I'm a fan of the "fresh" fragrances so I couldn't compare it to anything else.

25th December, 2006

Memphis35's avatar

Well I tryed this a few times on my skin previous to purchase and I couldn't get the Dunhill Desire for a Man similarity at all. Now that I have applied it on me in a decent quantity, lo and behold, Dunhill Desire for a Man has mysteriously appeared on my skin!
    I guess judging by the range of similarities that people have sited, this one must a be a bit of a cameleon!

17th December, 2006

deepthought's avatar

03rd October, 2006

Jon_Remy's avatar

I like this fragrance. I like the bottle. It reminds me a lot of Desire by Alfred Dunhill, the one in the red bottle. Yes, I'll probably buy this one, as well as #1, Ferrari Red, and Ferrari racing. If I buy one brand, I usually buy the whole line. These will be most affordable as Perfumania.com sells them at a reasonable price.

05th November, 2005