Reviews of Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I was sorry to find that this was the first perfume from the Serge Lutens line that I could not wear. On my skin, it smelled like something used to scent dish-washing detergent only a thousand times stronger. I didn't leave it on me long enough to do a thorough review. As soon as I put it on I knew it was a mistake and after I had used every available soap and cleaner, I finally splashed alcohol on the spot until the scent of the perfume was extinguished - almost. It certainly lasts well.
In the future I will be very careful of using any perfume with even a trace of citrus in it. Now I understand why my cats leave the room if anyone peels a Mandarin orange or a Tangerine in their presence.
23rd February, 2015
This was once, at the very least, interesting, what with it's cumin topnote. What's sold now is a bland, cloying white floral...orange blossom upfront, jasmine in the rear. Nothing wrong, but nothing right either.
19th January, 2015
Drop dead gorgeous!

Without a doubt one of the most beautiful smells I've come across! It's clean and dirty and lush and pretty all at the same time! So aromatic and indolic and honey-sweet. I think this is a perfume which needs to be experienced. Words alone cannot do it justice.

First of all, it's strong, but not strong in a synthetic way. It's more like the strongest smelling natural flowers I can think of. The name itself is somewhat misleading as Fleurs d'Oranger means "Orange Blossom" and the orange blossom itself is only half the story here. Instead we also have a highly indolic, beautiful and heady sambac jasmine note, which works with the orange blossom to give incredible floral and sensual depth to the perfume. Another huge player here is tuberose... and what a flower that is! It's a rich, creamy, slightly green & tropical flower that really brings the party to this perfume! But it's not too overdone. It's totally wearable as it's more of a sultry, soft honeyed floral (but very deep).

I think this one is similar to Serge Lutens' A la Nuit, which was a huge lush, green, honey sweet indolic jasmine. Here it is a combination between the three white flowers of jasmine, tuberose and orange blossom... with some spice (mainly cumin) to make it a little more sultry/sexy. To me the cumin doesn't come across as sweaty or anything like that, on my skin it's still a very clean floral. I think orange blossom (especially neroli) has a tendency to be soapy clean, as it is a common ingredient in most soaps. But here the other lush & heady white florals, as well as the spices and rose, really serve to make it very sensual and full of character. In a word, on me this smells absolutely divine! If you appreciate fine perfume and beautiful floral smells (especially tuberose and jasmine), then please do try this out. For me it's an absolute love. But try it on your skin first!
12th December, 2014

Whoosh! Fleurs d'Oranger hurls heady, indole-laden orange blossom like a projectile weapon as soon as it leaves the bottle. Once it's knocked your head back with its opening salvo, it calls in reinforcements in the form of a crisp, green floral note that suggests lily-of-the-valley, but must actually be a very limpid rose. This addition lends the scent some clarity while balancing the swoon-inducing indoles of the opening. The simple, sweet floral accord taht results soon settles in as the heart of the fragrance, and its extended sillage leaves a bright nebula of scent in the wearer's wake.

For all the animalic decadence inherent in the orange blossom indoles, Fleurs d'Oranger reads as a happy scent: sweet, dewey white flowers in the sunshine of a cool spring morning. An unusually crisp, yet still sensuous tuberose note spreads itself out as a backdrop, but its heady tendencies are moderated by a healthy dose of citrus zest. I get very little cumin out of this scent, and the base reads to me mostly as clean white musk. I quite like Fleurs d'Oranger, and add it to the list of Sheldarke-Lutens fragrances (Gris Clair, Un Lys, Sa Majeste la Rose, Chene, Tubereuse Criminelle,) that offer relief from their accustomed spiced and honeyed orientals.

(As an aside, I am puzzled by repeated assertions that Fleur d'Oranger was cloned when Lutens released the more recent Mandarine-Mandarin. Except for orange zest - a condiment in Fleurs d'Oranger, the main course in Mandarine-Mandarin - the bright but indolic floral and the dark, smoky, spicy, carmelized citrus-oriental have exactly nothing in common. Maybe my nose is broken.)
14th June, 2014
Cannes Show all reviews
Year round love affair

I discovered Fleur d'oranger on a cold Chicago winter day. The kind of winter day that freezes everything in sight. I sprayed a tiny bit on my wrist and went about my day. Right off the bat, I got a ton of jasmine. A flower I don't fully appreciate or am drawn to. The next day, I slipped on the same jacket. And as I drew my hand up to my face, a warm feeling enveloped me. I quickly realized it was the fleur d'oranger from the previous day. The temperature outside was at around 10 degrees Fahrenheit but I felt like I was on the Amalfi coast in august. What a beautiful scent in the winter and just as gorgeous in the summer.

Pros: longevity
Cons:

23rd September, 2013
This is a white floral, and as other white florals it starts out loud. It opens with a blast of orange flowers and develops into a more skin scent of orange flowers, then perhaps jasmine, and also a bit of vanilla and spices from what I can smell.

It projects a beautiful scent of white flowers. Quite powerful and floral and never sweet. It fits perfectly in a tropical climate - both for men and women. Completely unisex, I would say. It may be challenging for men to wear this fragrance in a corporate setting, or it may not fit that well in colder weather. But in the hot and humid climate of the tropics - it shines as a true natural scent.
23rd September, 2012 (last edited: 02nd October, 2012)
A well-rendered orange blossom that starts off with a tuberose angle before drying down to warm, creamy flower. Beautiful, with staying power to boot.
20th September, 2012 (last edited: 24th September, 2012)
The density of white florals can often cloy. Serge Lutens’s Fleur d’Oranger offers one way out – make the flowers so real that despite the thickness of the scent the feel will still be fresh. The orange blossom is mainly in the opening, after that this is a bowl of garden fresh jasmine centre stage with a vase of tuberose some distance in the background. This is a living, breathing thing and even the indoles natural to these blossoms are alive and dancing, unlike the saggy, unwashed creatures that languish in other perfumes. I rarely choose to wear white florals, but this one is beautifully done.
The edges on this do blur about 3-4 hours in, but apart from the loss of the feeling that one is smelling real flowers, the notes don’t distort much.
30th July, 2012
This is elegantly yummy!!! Before this, my experience with orange blossom was the acrid white shoulders, and a discontinued origins scent. This is very niice. I am seriously thinking of buying a full bottle of this. I can see where one viewer got the "concentrated coppertone". I actually LOATHE suntan lotion scent, but for some reason, this is glorious!!!!!
14th May, 2012
Emily Show all reviews
Sparkle, sparkle, sparkle. That is Fleurs D'Oranger. An absolute orgy of sparkling, iridescent sequins, glistening megawatt floral notes that seem to dazzle me over and over. This is the Vegas showgirl of Serge's line. All flash, no subtlety.

There is an evenhanded marriage of girly tuberose, pert jasmine, sweet orange blossom, subtle citrus and spicy cumin that is so light and so delicate, it makes you forget that this is a bombshells fragrance. Shades of tangerine, amber and salmon pink are evoked and a glimmer effect comes through the nose. It's fizzy like a cold morning Mimosa.

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone does not compare as it is markedly sheer and filmy compared to this. There is a shiny, firm structure to Fleurs that is hard to achieve in this category of neroli themed florals.

I also love that it can be two things at once. It's sexy that is disguised as cute. I definitely want to wear this on a scooter racing through the French countryside and again in a black satin cocktail dress at a penthouse party. It's a very versatile feminine fragrance, but raciness wins out over sweetness in my opinion.

Funny that this is still considered a unisex product. I would imagine a gentleman would need to possess effervescent good taste to pull this off.
03rd May, 2012
the orange out powers the tuberose, which should not happen :D makes me happy for some reason. Right up there with Fracas and Carnal Flower for balancing power vs. grace.
21st January, 2012
The scent of hapiness.
The title is FleurS d'oranger, and that's what it is, a bush of orange flowers. The strong neroli note is coupled with a fresh greeny rose for the start. Rapidly, tuberose and jasmine perform a dimensional presence and a sensual effect. All those white flowers share similars olfactives molecules and there are here melted togethers to perform an opulent floral scent in the typic Lutens tradition. Serge managed to create the perfect paradox between opulence and freshness, the same sensation you smell with white flowers in reality.
There is just a hint of spice (nutmeg and cumin), just enough to delicatly make the overall a little bit dirty.
Sensual, fresh and comforting as the neroli is.
22nd November, 2011
Maybe my favorite tuberose and my favorite orange blossom. A wondrous creation in the classic French style. Heaven on earth.
17th September, 2011

While wearing FIRE ISLAND this afternoon, I was reminded of my first Serge Lutens experience: FLEURS D'ORANGER, about a year and a half ago. My sample was of unknown origin (I found it in a gwp bag, and I honestly had no idea when or from where I had acquired it), so when I sprayed it on and discovered that the perfume was essentially the scent of super-concentrated Coppertone suntan lotion, I was a bit disappointed, for all of the same reasons that some people are disappointed with FIRE ISLAND.

I decided to give FLEURS D'ORANGER another chance and this evening seemed like a fine time, with the memory of FIRE ISLAND still fresh in my mind. The good news is that FLEURS D'ORANGER is not really a Coppertone clone. My earlier sample must have evaporated somewhat and changed in the process. Instead, what I find with this fresher decant is that FLEURS D'ORANGER is not unlike the drydown of FIRE ISLAND, with its tuberose, neroli, and musk, but with much more emphasis on the white florals (including jasmine) and also a kind of golden oriental amberish (not ambery...) quality where FIRE ISLAND was more "ozonic". This is a powerful little potion, big white flowers in a long lasting base that amplifies the already heady mix.

I recommend FLEURS D'ORANGER as a much more perfumic and feminine alternative to FIRE ISLAND. But if you don't like big fat white flowers, this may be too much.
03rd August, 2011
I sampled this fragrance on a sunny February morning in Stockholm, as I was just beginning to recover from a case of winter bronchitis that had me home-bound and unable to smell anything for a few weeks-

Wow, I felt as if I had been given an injection of some kind of feel-good mega-vitamin! The sheer exuberance of this orange blossom powerhouse was definitely what the doctor ordered!

As the cumin notes began to make their presence known, though, I got a bit of a locker-room vibe- incredibly animalic, almost embarassingly so- I was glad that I wasn't in a roomful of strangers or on a crowded Metro...

Having recently tried other orange blossom fragrances by Prada and L'Artisan, Fleurs d'Oranger definitely stood head and shoulders above the other two for power and originality- but this fragrance seems built for seduction rather than for everyday use-
25th July, 2011
Rambunctious ,full blooming, dripping orange blossom- sweet, heavy lidded and sexy . There is a hint of black tea in there somewhere that keeps Fleurs d'orange from tipping sideways into indolic hell . Yes, there's a hint of sweet tuberose but the orange blossom is 100 % there. Some similarity to 24 Faubourg but the Hermes is a lady and the Lutens is a showgirl .:)
Lasting power - very good .Sillage very good.
17th May, 2011
Fickle. A little like a friend I want to avoid but so much fun once we do get together. Comes on strong and then becomes stand-offish. Seems not to last very long, but when I inhale a scarf I wore the lingering scent is delicious. I'm wanting to layer it but haven't found the right combo for me --- I'd love to hear suggestions.
27th March, 2011
at first i couldn't stop raving about this, now its mediocre for me..quite boring orange blossom, srry serge im gonna trade you in for APOM ;-p
18th March, 2011
Each time l tried this from my sample it seemed to behave differently. Sometimes it was sunny, vibrant, fresh, almost bitter orange peel. At other times it was spicier with more of the nutmeg, or it was warm, syrupy & almost heavy. But at no time did l get the sweet, fresh orange blossom that l was expecting. This simply annoyed me, & so did the fact that yet again, a Lutens fragrance just doesn't last on my skin.
03rd February, 2011
A linear orange blossom, as far as I can tell, with underpinnings of jasmine.
31st January, 2011
I tried this today and all I can say is that we are before a very refined scent, very well done orange blossom with nice projection and longevity, without being intrusive at all.
Maybe better suited for women, but I enjoy it anyway.

10th September, 2010
This is the smell of - happy. The smell of joy. My Florida childhood - which included orange trees in the back yard - wafts out of the bottle to start, followed by...

The scent of all things good and true and beautiful and smolderingly sexy underneath, with that whisper-soft suggestion of cumin and the rather more obvious note of nutmeg. Some of the reviews mention the indoles, some the cumin, and on me, I get none of that. I get my ultimate, sinsational, scentsational, spectacular self. If the male reactions in my vicinity are anything to go by, this has the impact of a pulse bomb. Wearer, beware!

It lasts a long time, sillage is incredible and I want to be buried with a bottle.

I am no longer a mortal, I am a goddess. Anything that makes me feel like a goddess is worth every penny.

There are rumors that there's a slight difference in strength between the bell jar - which is what I have - and the rectangular spray bottle. I can't compare - does anyone else know more?
19th August, 2010
Remember 'Sweet Child O'Mine' by Guns n Roses? The distinctive opening riffs from lead guitarist Slash marks the beginning of one of rock's greatest anthems. FLEURS D'ORANGER opens similarly with an arresting interplay of notes between orange blossom, indolic jasmine and leathery tuberose. Unfortunately on my skin the anthem settles into a fragrance equivalent of pop music, with a more linear somewhat sweaty cumin-tinted floral musk. Still wearable but a bit of a let down.
11th May, 2010
On my skin, this is a linear orange flower fragrance, only two other notes - jasmine and tuberose - playing accompaniment. All the facets of orange flower are here in their glory, the expansive floral note underpinned with honeyed, wine-like citrus hints and the subtle, dried-sweat warmth of human skin. And yes, plenty of indoles here, though not on the sledgehammer level of A La Nuit. If there is cumin, it's astonishingly well-integrated into the accord - I'm rather sensitive to the note, yet here, it's beneath my radar.

Fleurs d'Oranger isn't a sophisticated fragrance at heart. It's a buxom bouquet of heady flowers, fresh from the garden and left unarranged in a vase. Its charm is in its naturalism rather than in abstraction, and within the Lutens' line, its relatives are soliflores like Sa Majeste La Rose and Un Lys rather than the shocking Tubereuse Criminelle or the dense Rose de Nuit.
06th May, 2010
Hema Show all reviews
I was distracted from the overly sweet aspect (for me) of this creation only by its ability to transform me from mere mortal to Goddess upon the first dab. Im young and breathtakingly beautiful because of it. I think its true to say I saw/smelled my best self!

This is the opposite to that other Orange Blossom I worship by Jo Malone in that the flowers lie on top of an earthy and wood base (with much in between) that give this perfume its sweet complexity.

I soon turned from Goddess to Diva, however, as I found myself needing to keep sneaking more and more dabs from my tester bottle to keep myself in character for the evening. A very sensual frag, albeit one that I personally need to continually bathe in.
13th April, 2010
I love this one. Rich and intoxicating, just the way it should be.
19th February, 2010

I get a definite orange flower note here, coupled with jasmine and tuberose. Definitely indolic. Not for me, but I am sure I would like this on a lady.
29th November, 2009 (last edited: 04th July, 2010)
This is a gorgeous, substantial, sensual fragrance. It has lots of lovely flowers and yet it has an earthy and slightly sweaty quality that could appeal to men or women. The opening of orange blossoms is gorgeous, as it should be. The middle of white flowers is a pretty cushion. The jasmine reminds me of jasmine tea, and the tuberose is fleshy and a bit indolic (as usual). We have a powerfully beating floral heart here. Musk and cumin give an animalic quality and an assertive edge to the florals. I like it.
24th September, 2009
Smells really rich. Immediately reminded me of a few perfume oils I got from the Middle East as well as South Asia. But this penetrates you, the scent smells similar to the best of the oils I had gotten. I cannot give this anything but a thumbs up. Amazingly natural smelling and intoxicating.
23rd August, 2009
Fleurs d'Oranger was among the batch of Serge lutens samples that I got from Aedes de Venustas NYC this weekend. When I first spritzed it on after I sat down on the bus headed back to DC this afternoon, I knew it was a scent that was going to be a little bit too sweet and floral for my taste, but I figured I had a four-hour ride ahead of me and all the patience in the world to allow it to do what ever it was going to do in that time. I thought it it may surprise me since some Serge Lutens scents can be full of surprises (maybe I've been spoiled by Un Lys). As I sniffed, all I kept thinking about were those little bathroom guest soaps that you keep in a dish on your bathroom vanity. At some point it got a little indolic and I'm thinking it was the orange blossom. Nice, but that passed rather quickly into notes of pink bubble gum and candy. In the extreme drydown it was back to a soapy floral. Sorry to say there were no surprises for me with this one. Personally, this isn't a scent I would need to smell again.
12th May, 2009