Neutral Reviews of Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens

This was once, at the very least, interesting, what with it's cumin topnote. What's sold now is a bland, cloying white blossom upfront, jasmine in the rear. Nothing wrong, but nothing right either.
19th January, 2015
at first i couldn't stop raving about this, now its mediocre for me..quite boring orange blossom, srry serge im gonna trade you in for APOM ;-p
18th March, 2011
Each time l tried this from my sample it seemed to behave differently. Sometimes it was sunny, vibrant, fresh, almost bitter orange peel. At other times it was spicier with more of the nutmeg, or it was warm, syrupy & almost heavy. But at no time did l get the sweet, fresh orange blossom that l was expecting. This simply annoyed me, & so did the fact that yet again, a Lutens fragrance just doesn't last on my skin.
03rd February, 2011

A linear orange blossom, as far as I can tell, with underpinnings of jasmine.
31st January, 2011
Remember 'Sweet Child O'Mine' by Guns n Roses? The distinctive opening riffs from lead guitarist Slash marks the beginning of one of rock's greatest anthems. FLEURS D'ORANGER opens similarly with an arresting interplay of notes between orange blossom, indolic jasmine and leathery tuberose. Unfortunately on my skin the anthem settles into a fragrance equivalent of pop music, with a more linear somewhat sweaty cumin-tinted floral musk. Still wearable but a bit of a let down.
11th May, 2010
zztopp Show all reviews
Notes: Orange Blossom, White Jasmine, Indian Tuberose, White Rose, Citrus Peel, Hibiscus Seeds, Cumin, Nutmeg

Here we have Mr. Lutens' interpretation of the Florida state flower. Fleurs d'Oranger (FDO) opens with a decent orange blossom note but is quickly conjoined with the white flower twins jasmin and tuberose. The immediate effect is the blooming of a floral, predominantly tuberose aroma with the orange blossom note pushed way in the background. The tuberose note, while dominant, is not of a particularly high quality and the same can be said of the "starring note" of orange blossom which cant match the intensity, brightness or richness of other superior orange blossom/neroli fragrances on the market. But a cause for celebration: the floral melange is well blended, with none of the over-the-top saccharine or over-dosage tendencies of the trademark Lutens gaudiness present in the juice.

The second half of the fragrance does the whole armpit-smell thing (via cumin) in the name of 'exotic-ness'. It may have worked in 1995 but today the cumin-spicy body-odour backdrop to impart uniqueness comes off as a wee bit cliche. After the white flower first half, the backend of FDO slowly infuses vapours of nutmeg and cumin to provide a twist to the formula. A note of caution: body heat and warm weather makes the cumin note bloom more and may end up making you smell like a NYC cab driver on Valentine's day. On the positive side, the cumin-spice backend is well restrained, with none of the indian spice-rack madness evident in some of the other Lutens.

So there it is... FDO is a decent, albeit a tad boring and cliched orange blossom frag from the former Dior makeup-meister. The white floral notes are a bit lacking in quality but the fragrance flows well. There are just too many other neroli/orange blossom fragrances that I would choose to wear before this one. File it under 'Only for Lutens fanboys/girls'.

Rating: 6.5/10.0

10th May, 2009
Nlb Show all reviews
I'm thrown through a loop after testing "Fleurs d'Oranger"--- it pulls me away from referencing other Serge Lutens options. This is a very pretty scent; unfortunately, I smelled Glade's "Country Garden" vacuum powder first and a strong similarity between the two is undeniable. I like the potpourri scent of the floor powder...but I just can't imagine wearing it. I'm used to the off-kilter magic of Lutens scents like "Gris Clair","Douce Amere", "La Myrrhe", "Fleurs d'Citronnier" and "A la Nuit". I'm surprised "Fleurs d'Oranger" originated from the same house.
02nd October, 2008
I know, people love this one... I was told it's the best seller of all SLs at the Shisheido flagship store. The saleswoman insisted to give me a sample and trying to convert me to this one. I have tried basically all SL's perfumes and owned most of them. I agree with mikey_p, it's definitely not unpleasant, definitely more interesting than Fleur Citronnier. To my nose, all these notes put together seem very plastic-like, something vinyl/ plastic-wrap or like a barbie doll just taken out of its cardboard plastic package + an aromatheraputic dish-washing detergent. I'm unsure with this one personally, I might not wear it, but it's interesting to sniff.
03rd September, 2008
Realistic orange flower buoyed by an almost palpably warm tuberose. Delicious but still floral, not edible, just like the real flower. Exceedingly sweet, but appropriately so.
04th October, 2006
I was slightly dissapointed with this. This was not, to my nose, as heady and complex as other reviews had lead me to believe. When first applied, there is a very nice combination of Orange Flower, a touch of Jasmine, and a smidge of Rose. However, there is also a pretty strong sweetness to it, almost peachy-sweet. Too sugary for me, and it drowns out the complexity of the rose and jasmine curling around the orange flower. The overall effect after a few minutes was 40% peachy-sweet and 60% orange flower.

The peachy-sweetness faded after about an hour, as top notes are wont to do, but by then so had the rose and jasmine. All that's left is orange flower orange flower orange flower. Nice, but not very complex, nor does it justify the Serge Lutens price, in my mind.
21st August, 2005