Positive Reviews of Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Whoosh! Fleurs d'Oranger hurls heady, indole-laden orange blossom like a projectile weapon as soon as it leaves the bottle. Once it's knocked your head back with its opening salvo, it calls in reinforcements in the form of a crisp, green floral note that suggests lily-of-the-valley, but must actually be a very limpid rose. This addition lends the scent some clarity while balancing the swoon-inducing indoles of the opening. The simple, sweet floral accord taht results soon settles in as the heart of the fragrance, and its extended sillage leaves a bright nebula of scent in the wearer's wake.

For all the animalic decadence inherent in the orange blossom indoles, Fleurs d'Oranger reads as a happy scent: sweet, dewey white flowers in the sunshine of a cool spring morning. An unusually crisp, yet still sensuous tuberose note spreads itself out as a backdrop, but its heady tendencies are moderated by a healthy dose of citrus zest. I get very little cumin out of this scent, and the base reads to me mostly as clean white musk. I quite like Fleurs d'Oranger, and add it to the list of Sheldarke-Lutens fragrances (Gris Clair, Un Lys, Sa Majeste la Rose, Chene, Tubereuse Criminelle,) that offer relief from their accustomed spiced and honeyed orientals.

(As an aside, I am puzzled by repeated assertions that Fleur d'Oranger was cloned when Lutens released the more recent Mandarine-Mandarin. Except for orange zest - a condiment in Fleurs d'Oranger, the main course in Mandarine-Mandarin - the bright but indolic floral and the dark, smoky, spicy, carmelized citrus-oriental have exactly nothing in common. Maybe my nose is broken.)

14 June, 2014

Cannes's avatar

Year round love affair

I discovered Fleur d'oranger on a cold Chicago winter day. The kind of winter day that freezes everything in sight. I sprayed a tiny bit on my wrist and went about my day. Right off the bat, I got a ton of jasmine. A flower I don't fully appreciate or am drawn to. The next day, I slipped on the same jacket. And as I drew my hand up to my face, a warm feeling enveloped me. I quickly realized it was the fleur d'oranger from the previous day. The temperature outside was at around 10 degrees Fahrenheit but I felt like I was on the Amalfi coast in august. What a beautiful scent in the winter and just as gorgeous in the summer.

Pros: longevity
    Cons:

23 September, 2013

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

This is a white floral, and as other white florals it starts out loud. It opens with a blast of orange flowers and develops into a more skin scent of orange flowers, then perhaps jasmine, and also a bit of vanilla and spices from what I can smell.

It projects a beautiful scent of white flowers. Quite powerful and floral and never sweet. It fits perfectly in a tropical climate - both for men and women. Completely unisex, I would say. It may be challenging for men to wear this fragrance in a corporate setting, or it may not fit that well in colder weather. But in the hot and humid climate of the tropics - it shines as a true natural scent.

23 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 October, 2012)

's avatar

A well-rendered orange blossom that starts off with a tuberose angle before drying down to warm, creamy flower. Beautiful, with staying power to boot.

20th September, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 September, 2012)

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

The density of white florals can often cloy. Serge Lutens’s Fleur d’Oranger offers one way out – make the flowers so real that despite the thickness of the scent the feel will still be fresh. The orange blossom is mainly in the opening, after that this is a bowl of garden fresh jasmine centre stage with a vase of tuberose some distance in the background. This is a living, breathing thing and even the indoles natural to these blossoms are alive and dancing, unlike the saggy, unwashed creatures that languish in other perfumes. I rarely choose to wear white florals, but this one is beautifully done.
    The edges on this do blur about 3-4 hours in, but apart from the loss of the feeling that one is smelling real flowers, the notes don’t distort much.

30th July, 2012

Jody's avatar

This is elegantly yummy!!! Before this, my experience with orange blossom was the acrid white shoulders, and a discontinued origins scent. This is very niice. I am seriously thinking of buying a full bottle of this. I can see where one viewer got the "concentrated coppertone". I actually LOATHE suntan lotion scent, but for some reason, this is glorious!!!!!

14 May, 2012

Emily's avatar

Sparkle, sparkle, sparkle. That is Fleurs D'Oranger. An absolute orgy of sparkling, iridescent sequins, glistening megawatt floral notes that seem to dazzle me over and over. This is the Vegas showgirl of Serge's line. All flash, no subtlety.

There is an evenhanded marriage of girly tuberose, pert jasmine, sweet orange blossom, subtle citrus and spicy cumin that is so light and so delicate, it makes you forget that this is a bombshells fragrance. Shades of tangerine, amber and salmon pink are evoked and a glimmer effect comes through the nose. It's fizzy like a cold morning Mimosa.

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone does not compare as it is markedly sheer and filmy compared to this. There is a shiny, firm structure to Fleurs that is hard to achieve in this category of neroli themed florals.

I also love that it can be two things at once. It's sexy that is disguised as cute. I definitely want to wear this on a scooter racing through the French countryside and again in a black satin cocktail dress at a penthouse party. It's a very versatile feminine fragrance, but raciness wins out over sweetness in my opinion.

Funny that this is still considered a unisex product. I would imagine a gentleman would need to possess effervescent good taste to pull this off.

03 May, 2012

hyblaean's avatar

the orange out powers the tuberose, which should not happen :D makes me happy for some reason. Right up there with Fracas and Carnal Flower for balancing power vs. grace.

21st January, 2012

Mon-Petit's avatar

France France

The scent of hapiness.
    The title is FleurS d'oranger, and that's what it is, a bush of orange flowers. The strong neroli note is coupled with a fresh greeny rose for the start. Rapidly, tuberose and jasmine perform a dimensional presence and a sensual effect. All those white flowers share similars olfactives molecules and there are here melted togethers to perform an opulent floral scent in the typic Lutens tradition. Serge managed to create the perfect paradox between opulence and freshness, the same sensation you smell with white flowers in reality.
    There is just a hint of spice (nutmeg and cumin), just enough to delicatly make the overall a little bit dirty.
    Sensual, fresh and comforting as the neroli is.

22 November, 2011

Fleurine's avatar

Maybe my favorite tuberose and my favorite orange blossom. A wondrous creation in the classic French style. Heaven on earth.

17 September, 2011

sherapop's avatar

While wearing FIRE ISLAND this afternoon, I was reminded of my first Serge Lutens experience: FLEURS D'ORANGER, about a year and a half ago. My sample was of unknown origin (I found it in a gwp bag, and I honestly had no idea when or from where I had acquired it), so when I sprayed it on and discovered that the perfume was essentially the scent of super-concentrated Coppertone suntan lotion, I was a bit disappointed, for all of the same reasons that some people are disappointed with FIRE ISLAND.

I decided to give FLEURS D'ORANGER another chance and this evening seemed like a fine time, with the memory of FIRE ISLAND still fresh in my mind. The good news is that FLEURS D'ORANGER is not really a Coppertone clone. My earlier sample must have evaporated somewhat and changed in the process. Instead, what I find with this fresher decant is that FLEURS D'ORANGER is not unlike the drydown of FIRE ISLAND, with its tuberose, neroli, and musk, but with much more emphasis on the white florals (including jasmine) and also a kind of golden oriental amberish (not ambery...) quality where FIRE ISLAND was more "ozonic". This is a powerful little potion, big white flowers in a long lasting base that amplifies the already heady mix.

I recommend FLEURS D'ORANGER as a much more perfumic and feminine alternative to FIRE ISLAND. But if you don't like big fat white flowers, this may be too much.

03 August, 2011

pansylady's avatar

I sampled this fragrance on a sunny February morning in Stockholm, as I was just beginning to recover from a case of winter bronchitis that had me home-bound and unable to smell anything for a few weeks-

Wow, I felt as if I had been given an injection of some kind of feel-good mega-vitamin! The sheer exuberance of this orange blossom powerhouse was definitely what the doctor ordered!

As the cumin notes began to make their presence known, though, I got a bit of a locker-room vibe- incredibly animalic, almost embarassingly so- I was glad that I wasn't in a roomful of strangers or on a crowded Metro...

Having recently tried other orange blossom fragrances by Prada and L'Artisan, Fleurs d'Oranger definitely stood head and shoulders above the other two for power and originality- but this fragrance seems built for seduction rather than for everyday use-

25 July, 2011

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Rambunctious ,full blooming, dripping orange blossom- sweet, heavy lidded and sexy . There is a hint of black tea in there somewhere that keeps Fleurs d'orange from tipping sideways into indolic hell . Yes, there's a hint of sweet tuberose but the orange blossom is 100 % there. Some similarity to 24 Faubourg but the Hermes is a lady and the Lutens is a showgirl .:)
    Lasting power - very good .Sillage very good.

17 May, 2011

Andi777's avatar

Fickle. A little like a friend I want to avoid but so much fun once we do get together. Comes on strong and then becomes stand-offish. Seems not to last very long, but when I inhale a scarf I wore the lingering scent is delicious. I'm wanting to layer it but haven't found the right combo for me --- I'd love to hear suggestions.

27 March, 2011

Postumo's avatar

Spain Spain

I tried this today and all I can say is that we are before a very refined scent, very well done orange blossom with nice projection and longevity, without being intrusive at all.
    Maybe better suited for women, but I enjoy it anyway.

10th September, 2010

tarleisio's avatar

Denmark Denmark

This is the smell of - happy. The smell of joy. My Florida childhood - which included orange trees in the back yard - wafts out of the bottle to start, followed by...

The scent of all things good and true and beautiful and smolderingly sexy underneath, with that whisper-soft suggestion of cumin and the rather more obvious note of nutmeg. Some of the reviews mention the indoles, some the cumin, and on me, I get none of that. I get my ultimate, sinsational, scentsational, spectacular self. If the male reactions in my vicinity are anything to go by, this has the impact of a pulse bomb. Wearer, beware!

It lasts a long time, sillage is incredible and I want to be buried with a bottle.

I am no longer a mortal, I am a goddess. Anything that makes me feel like a goddess is worth every penny.

There are rumors that there's a slight difference in strength between the bell jar - which is what I have - and the rectangular spray bottle. I can't compare - does anyone else know more?

19 August, 2010

Sugandaraja's avatar

On my skin, this is a linear orange flower fragrance, only two other notes - jasmine and tuberose - playing accompaniment. All the facets of orange flower are here in their glory, the expansive floral note underpinned with honeyed, wine-like citrus hints and the subtle, dried-sweat warmth of human skin. And yes, plenty of indoles here, though not on the sledgehammer level of A La Nuit. If there is cumin, it's astonishingly well-integrated into the accord - I'm rather sensitive to the note, yet here, it's beneath my radar.

Fleurs d'Oranger isn't a sophisticated fragrance at heart. It's a buxom bouquet of heady flowers, fresh from the garden and left unarranged in a vase. Its charm is in its naturalism rather than in abstraction, and within the Lutens' line, its relatives are soliflores like Sa Majeste La Rose and Un Lys rather than the shocking Tubereuse Criminelle or the dense Rose de Nuit.

06 May, 2010

Hema's avatar

I was distracted from the overly sweet aspect (for me) of this creation only by its ability to transform me from mere mortal to Goddess upon the first dab. Im young and breathtakingly beautiful because of it. I think its true to say I saw/smelled my best self!

This is the opposite to that other Orange Blossom I worship by Jo Malone in that the flowers lie on top of an earthy and wood base (with much in between) that give this perfume its sweet complexity.

I soon turned from Goddess to Diva, however, as I found myself needing to keep sneaking more and more dabs from my tester bottle to keep myself in character for the evening. A very sensual frag, albeit one that I personally need to continually bathe in.

13 April, 2010

*bloomy*'s avatar

I love this one. Rich and intoxicating, just the way it should be.

19 February, 2010

scentsitivity's avatar

I get a definite orange flower note here, coupled with jasmine and tuberose. Definitely indolic. Not for me, but I am sure I would like this on a lady.

29 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 July, 2010)

odysseusm's avatar

This is a gorgeous, substantial, sensual fragrance. It has lots of lovely flowers and yet it has an earthy and slightly sweaty quality that could appeal to men or women. The opening of orange blossoms is gorgeous, as it should be. The middle of white flowers is a pretty cushion. The jasmine reminds me of jasmine tea, and the tuberose is fleshy and a bit indolic (as usual). We have a powerfully beating floral heart here. Musk and cumin give an animalic quality and an assertive edge to the florals. I like it.

24 September, 2009

rinosaur's avatar

Smells really rich. Immediately reminded me of a few perfume oils I got from the Middle East as well as South Asia. But this penetrates you, the scent smells similar to the best of the oils I had gotten. I cannot give this anything but a thumbs up. Amazingly natural smelling and intoxicating.

23 August, 2009

shimkai's avatar

Lutens calls it "the scent of happiness". but it evokes so much more than that!
    To have paired several massively indolic essences with musk and cumin (the "sweaty" spice) and come up with such a fresh, lively, soft and sensual fragrance is pure genius.
    It is ever changing, sometimes innocent and child-like, other times wanton, hedonistic and lewd, always beautiful and seductive.
    It took me a while to get acquainted with this one and make friends.
    But now, we're partners in crime. :)

16 March, 2009

TaraYvonne's avatar

If only cheap air freshener smelled this divine! It would save me a ton of money, but unfortunately this is far too high quality to be compared to anything related to the word cheap. C'mon people! Yes there will be some scents that remind you of this, after all there are a million products out there that try to capture this type of scent because it appeals to the masses. But keep in mind that Fleurs d'Oranger IS a floral with a foody citrus-like edge and there are so many products out there that use this type of scent too. Any fragrance that tries to capture this will be condemned for the same reason. And men should not try this one, I hardly feel this qualifies as a "man" scent. Men please, only review this if you are smelling it on a woman, because that is the only standpoint which would allow you to be fair to this Fragrance. It's girly, of course YOU won't like wearing it! It's rich, it's dripping like so many Serge Lutens creations. I've said it once and I'll say it again, if you like your frags tame then steer clear of this entire line. That way the world won't have to read your misleading thumbs down ratings-which only come from the ones that can't take a potent scent.

22 January, 2009

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Facinating really
    the first time I smelled Fd'o, I did not realy like it.. I thought it smelled like a old unwashed woman who tries to hide her b.o. with a heavy floral perfume.
    It was hard to overcome the cumin and the indolic florals but their was something that made me want to smell it again and again... so much that to this day I'm thinkin of getting my self a bottle. All the elements I used to dislike about this fragrance are now the elements I find so intresting, sensual, almost intoxicating: the sweet citrusy/medicinal top notes some people are talking about (perhaps the tuberose and mandarine), the sweaty cumin, the thick fruity-fecal jasmine, the indolic/phenolic orange blossom, the musky (so-called) ambrette seed, etc... though the dry down is quite clean and does not live up to it's heart and top notes but give and nice rounded and smooth but generic finish(Galaxolide?). Very nice overall

17 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 01st January, 2009)

Oaksbluff's avatar

The prior reviews are pretty damned good. I don't really disagree with any of them. There are times I think this smells like cheap sh*t and then there are times I'm captivated. So, why add my two cents? Well, I get a bit of an orange-y Eau d'Hermes vibe from it. So, if you're a fan of that, give this a chance.
    Personally it teters a bit too much towards the feminine, but I do so love orange blossom I'm willing to overlook it.
    I'm hardly an acolyte of the Lutens & Sheldrake sweetshop, but this gets a positive vote from me. If I just wrote this exact same review but was in a bit of a crappier mood, it would have been sideways.

14 November, 2008

goldberry83's avatar

The combination of orange blossoms and cumin in this is stunning - I find it an incredibly sensual scent, but at the same time it has a delicacy that makes it appropriate for occasions when I don't want to send people reeling. It stays quite close to my skin, but people I hug when I'm wearing it always say I smell amazing.

23 September, 2008

Heartwood's avatar

Really smells just like orange blossoms. Even though there is tuberose in here as well. Sweet and floral (obviously), but surprisingly very pleasant. Lush, yet not too heady. I love smelling this because it's a beautiful achievement. Unfortunately, it's not something I'd wear simply because it feels somehow awkward on me. I'm not big on wearing white florals, but I love the odor of my orange tree in bloom wafting on the air. Now I have this scent tucked away to enjoy any time of the year!

23 August, 2008

Kathleen's avatar

I had been looking for a scent that reminded me of a blooming orange tree I smelled in Tucson, Az. This is the same smell but with alittle cardamon or is it cumin. Hummm I wear this constantly.

11th May, 2008

melancholic-botanist's avatar

Poland Poland

In my opinion it is the scent of an orange cloves christmas ball. Like it.

14 May, 2007