Reviews of Good Life by Davidoff

Find out more about Good Life by Davidoff in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

OCNBreeze7's avatar

It is the Good Life... A classic fragrance - no more...

I am a huge fan of the Davidoff fragrances - I have many in my collection nearing 500 bottles (ok - I guess I am a little OCD..). In addition to being one of my favorite names, the Good Life is one of my favorite Davidoff fragrances. The juice is good - too bad it has been discontinued. I am glad I have 3/4 a bottle that is only used sporadically. The Good Life is truly a pleasant blend of amber, citrus, floral, and sandalwood notes that settles into a herbal, almost grassy", and woodsy fragrance that is fresh and easy on the nose. The longevity and projection/sillage are average, or slightly above average. The "Wow Factor" (comments from the opposite sex) exists - I have had more comments wearing other fragrances, but Good Life has great potential. You will get noticed. While I would feel comfortable wearing Good Life during any season, perhaps Autumn or Spring are ideal. Additionally, Good Life offers versatility that it can be worn day or night or for any occasion.

The bottle and packaging are first class. I am especially fond of the bottle - clear and designed that portrays class. Well done Davidoff.

Now... The rest of the story... The downside is that Good Life has been discontinued. That said, a check of online pricing reveals that if you want some of the Good Life - you will pay a premium.

Final tally for Good Life is 4.1 stars out of a possible 5. Everything about this fragrance is great with the exception of the price/value. If you can find it at a reasonable price, I definitely recommend adding to your collection.

Daily I.M - Today is an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life. Do the right thing..!!

09 April, 2014

Zenwannabee's avatar

I had a torrid affair with this scent when it came out in 1998. I thought it was one of the best green scents ever. However, as much as I loved the fig and the lightness of the scent overall, the synthetic grassiness began to get to me. It was like walking through fields of Elysium--but in Tartarus. The grassiness just wouldn't stop. It was like something you couldn't get away from. I finally had to break off the relationship, so to speak. But, like a shooting star, it was beautiful and burned brightly while it lasted. And even now, I get a bit wistful and nostalgic about it.

24 March, 2014

coloradomonkey's avatar

I've worn this since the year of launch and continue to wear it. The most obvious notes are the grapefruit, melon and fig leaf. The fig leaf stays until the very end. During the dry down, the magnolia comes through and then finally the amber and sandalwood add a masculine sweetness worth waiting for. Just a little sweet, but still dark and warmer than you would expect from the green and citrusy opening.

I first wore this on a warm afternoon in Palm Springs. It will always remind be of drinking a gin and tonic by the pool and then moving slowly into town for a nice dinner on an 82 degree night. That move from fresh and crisp to warm and elegant is how this fragrance evolves over a period of 4-5 hours.

Sillage is decent. Perfect for me, as I typically don't want to overwhelm anyone with the scent but instead want to just share it between me and my wife. One spray is all you need. In fact, I will sometimes spray that single spray from quite a distance to keep it light.

My only gripe is that it begins a little synthetically. But this is a go-to for me when I want a clean, green, elegant scent.

20th September, 2012

Bartlebooth's avatar

Good Life probably represents a line in the sand for Davidoff.You can see obvious decline in the company's output from this fragrance onwards.

It is not to say that this is an awful experience, but large passages of the fig-centric Good Life feel contrived and synthetic. Although I am generally ambivalent about the use of the fig note, I remain convinced that better examples of it can be found elsewhere.

06 April, 2011

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Definetely the best Davidoff's fragrance. Green, refreshing, simple. Nothing stuffy. The greatest figgy composition I've ever smelt. Also slightly sweet, but completely different from any nowaday's aquatic scent. It exhales some class. Maybe that's why It has never attracted younger crowds. I had owned a bottle back in 98 and decided to buy It again. The only thing I can complain about my new acquisition: The bottle's cap seems cheaper than it used to be. And It doesn't bring Davidoff's signature printed anymore.

15 July, 2010

dm8m's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Good life is a good everyday light scent. The leafy notes of this scent makes me feel like I'm in a cool garden when I was wearing it.

10th January, 2010

blacklibran1's avatar

This scent reminds me off senior year of highschool. Very figgy and warm. I remember smelling this and Emporio in the hall ways for ages. Anyway I like it a little cloying after awhile and I can totally see how someone would get burnt out on this scent but for what it is its pretty good. They no longer make fragrances like this. Very 90's loud and demanding. For nostalgia sake I would wear it.

07 December, 2009

shamu1's avatar

Call me nuts, but if I were to describe Good Life in a nutshell, I'd describe it as an excellent Cool Water-type acquatic fougere with a green melon ball note up top. It does smell very "90s" and a bit dated today, but Good Life is still a very good light, sweet casual fragrance that continues to distinguish itself from the endless continuing line of Cool Water ripoffs (I still think it's that melon ball note that makes the difference!). I'm surprised that I've always liked this since it was released back in the nineties, because generally don't like acquatic or Cool Water-inspired fragrances. Like Polo Sport, Good Life sets itself apart from the norm. I'm glad to see Good Life is still in production.

27 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 December, 2009)

jaguaroadster's avatar

France France

It reminds me a walk in a garden facing the Mediterranean Sea during a sunny afternoon. Certainly with the use of the fig tree leaf, very proeminent in Greece, Italy and south of France. I can also feel the scent of the geranium, lentisc and lavender with a light breeze from the sea. This is a very green, clean, fresh, tonic and fuzzy fragrance without being too much loud and aggressive to the nose. After a while, the drydown turns sweet on the skin and gives you this feeling to feel...good. This is definately not an extraordinary fragrance but this is perfect for sport activities where you can find some grass and cool attitude ( Golf, Polo, Cricket... ).

11th June, 2009

Bigsly's avatar

Violet, geranium, and lavender. Three notes I can't stand, unless of course only small amounts are used. It's green, but it's also colgny/perfumey, and I detest fragrances like this. If you want to be "colgne guy" this is a good choice, because it's not as cheap and crude as others in this genre. Longevity and sillage seem good. I'll give this a neutral for those who actually seek this kind of scent.

10th May, 2009

Tony T's avatar

synthetic, sharp office scent. very 90 's loud opening but still wearable. similiar to preferred stock. a lot of different notes such as meliot,lentisc and liatrix.sounds like depression medication but what do i know.

02 February, 2009

Green and sweet. I went through two samples of this trying to eek out its secrets but what I mainly come up with is, “Green and sweet.” I think it’s the blackcurrent that makes the opening more interesting than most of its category. The opening has a clean citrus vibe with a lavender and fig leaf support, and I think it is essentially well done except I would have preferred less lavender. The fragrance moves to revolve around the fig leaf, and that dominance is not a bad decision – the fig leaf accord performs quite well. In the heart notes, the geranium contributes its unique green and, unfortunately, so does the violet, which, I will admit, mostly behaves itself, but I continue to wish it were not there. There’s an airy feel to the heart, which I enjoy very much. Its base is the typical base of a modern fragrance: I don’t get much wood, but I do get amber and green, and it is certainly is sweet enough. The fragrance is well done… It is much too sweet for me and I personally dislike the violet, but it is a well-made fragrance for the person who wants a clean, sweet, green fragrance.

16 December, 2008

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

I have always loved this one. I think it`s quite amazing and I`m kind of pleased to see all the positive reviews here.

Good Life is hands down the most alluring fig fragrance I have ever tried. And oh yes, I love it way much more than Philosykos, for instance.

Good Life isn`t that "refined" or "mature" than some of its fig scent rivals, but more importantly, it is sweet, luscious, intoxicating, virile, entrancingly striking, vitalisizing fragrance. It smells green, juicy and it`s full of life.

Good Life is very appropriate name for this fragrance. Long lasting pleasure.

06 November, 2008

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Fig to Davidoff for concocting this. No wonder it's going for rancid peanuts these days. Oh for fox's sakes, it was one of the few fumes up to date that I couldn't stand one bit. To this day I don't know why I ever bought it. I love figs, but that relentless fig tree leaf was hugely unpleasant. If you're thinking of buying it, my advice would be to get a life please!

16 October, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

A green fig that's very light. It's like ck Contradiction without the fuzziness and fig added. Different and nice. A little sweet in the end.

04 July, 2008

lespritz's avatar

I received a half-full bottle from a friend, and I love it...too bad there's not much longevity. what's weird is: on the site here, the bottle has a blue lid, and mine has a silver lid! The smell could be unizes though, and it isn't overbearing, or cheap-smelling either. I'd reccomend it to anyone wanting something nice, and not mainstream.

15 January, 2008

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

This is one of the scents I fell in love with when it was introduced. I have since purchased 3 bottles. It is VERY fresh and bright, yet tempered with a vanilla from the opening. It STAYS fresh which is why some people can't stand it. It is great for office wear and warm weather, though I prefer to wear it on gloomy days as a constant reminder to 'stay happy'.
    All the positive reviews here are on point and very true...so read and heed!

26 June, 2007 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2010)

Carl999's avatar

A generally nice men's perfume. A lot of reviewers have poo-pooed this fragrance. But I am here to stick it to 'em.

Every where I go when wearing the perfume, whether to university, to the local shopping mall, to the doctors' clinic, and even when I go to teach English to Lao and Cambodian immigrants at Phap Quang Buddhist Temple on a Saturday morning, it almost always elicits one or two compliments, and if not, a kind reaction of some sort.

It is relatively fresh and clean, with a woodsy, green, figgy, dynamic and relaxed auror. It is easy to wear, and suits just about all attire and seasons of the year, except maybe winter.

It smells modern and dynamic, without smelling like anything that should remotely be labelled "Eau de Department Store, by Generic".

A generally nice and well-rounded fragrance. A constant, but never in-your-face figgy note pervades well throughout, lending the fragrance a slight coconut and green leaves feel. Well done Davidoff. Alas, it is a pitty that quite a few people have had poor reactions to it. I think they sprayed too much on bare skin.

Its never over-bearing, nor cloying nor generic.

10th June, 2007

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

nice botlle design but the content of the bottle is a huge deception but i wasn´t expecting a miracle after cool water and the rest.....to my opnion davidoff were successful with smoking goods and they thought-oh, let´s make a perfume....and it ends up in a desaster!What a bad perfume-stinking , bad tasting water......Ken Russell has said all!

11th November, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

Great fragrance, and now one of the best buys on the market. (Picked up my last 3.4 oz. bottle at Marshall's for under $15.00!)

I wear this one more than any other "fresh" fragrance in my wardrobe because I always get INUNDATED with compliments whenever I do. (It also has great lasting power and fantastic sillage.)

It's fresh without being fruity (in spite of the fig leaf notes) and crisp without being too dry. A perennial favorite.

18 October, 2006

Stuffman's avatar

I'd have to say I was never really a fan of "green" fragrances, but I've been warming up to them lately. I saw Good Life on sale at TJ Maxx, so I picked it up blind after reading all the good reviews (it was less than $15 after my employee discount). The opening is very green and cool at the same time, and it reminds me of eating a Key Lime Pie on a freshly-cut lawn. The top notes hang on for a while, and eventually smooth out, yet remain full-bodied and rich and hints of florals become apparent.

I suffer from olfactory fatigue badly with this one- at first I thought the longevity was poor, but I received a complement many hours after I thought the scent had disappeared. Overall, this is a very high-quality scent that will see much use in the spring and summer in my wardrobe.

13 August, 2006

Joel_Cairo's avatar

ALong with Rive Gauche and Claiborne Sport, Good Life completes the triumverate of fragrances that, while not particularly original or even outstanding in composition, seems to garner innumerable compliments. RG is the sexy date one, CS is the casual weekend one and GL is the office/power one. For the person who wears cologne for the benefit of those around him, rather than for his own curiosity/appreciation, this highbrow-seeming green marvel is a winner.

04 May, 2006

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

The very name is unsuitable, because it made me believe that this one is a scent reminding of conservative, comfortable, even luxurious and slightly extravagant country-club, old money lifestyle, like Polo, many scents by Burberry's, Old Spice, Eau Sauvage, Knize Ten and other basics, yet comparing all these masterpieces to Good Life is a blasphemy and completely out of place. And i'm not biased against Davidoff scents, even if i hate Cool Water with the same devotion, i truly enjoy Relax and Zino. But this one is so esentially 1998, the year in which it was launched- a time when metrosexuality was not yet a mass pehnomenon, yet all the male scents had to be fruity and flowery in an obscene way and all the males had to be blonde, feminine, long-haired, vapid, childlishly cute sunnyboys and exhaling a half trashy, half corny Lolita-esque sexiness. It is for them, not for the males over 35 which return to the essential, basic values in life, inspite of what the ad and the concept are stating, that this perfume is for. Davidoff should be ashamed of tricking young and often immature generartion into buying pure exploitation, pure camp and supermarket quality scents. This one is obscenely sweet, that it nauseates- and i don't dislike sweet male scents for instance, Boss Bottled is sweet yet an artwork. Too many misplaced notes of fruit, of vanilla, of a huge lack of freshness and coolness essential for a male scent. It doesn't smell clean either, but overblown with heavy, unbearable intoxication. Maybe syrup or a desert should smell like this, yet in a male fragrance it is the worst idea.

26 March, 2006

the_gabba_goul's avatar

Fresh green, summery, vibrant, and alive! The Good life is a scent that just loved to be adored...reminiscent of summer romances, long walks on the beach, and just lounging poolside with a good drink and fine company, this is a very versatile and delightful scent. Somewhat underappreciated, but deffinately worth purchasing, this scent is tuly for those who can enjoy "the good life"...

08 November, 2005

iMaverick's avatar

Davidoff just rolls out good quality scents, never chintzing the consumer. This fresh, green and slightly floral scent made it nothing but unique and beautiful. I gave Davidoff a high level of esteem as a follow up fragrance after the Cool Water craze.

24 September, 2005

stinkywinky's avatar

I actually kind of liked this stuff for the first couple of minutes. After that, I had a splitting headache and the urge to bathe thoroughly. My wife didn't care for it, either. I only used a tiny bit, too. It wasn't horrible, but the rest of mine now belongs to the garbageman.

11th February, 2005

AlphaBrahma's avatar

A much finer "Green" fragrance than Creed's Green Irish Tweed. I get more complements on this than I do for any other fragrance. The comment is almost always the same, "boy, do you smell goooood!"
    On a personal note, my favorite "Green" scent is Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi. There is no close second, period.

13 August, 2004

Sydneyguy's avatar

I am still unsure whether i like this, the smell is hard to describe

10th April, 2004

Connoisseur's avatar

Goodlife is an amazingly versatile, clean, fresh and severely green leafy fragrance. With powdery floral notes in the middle and some strange spice notes in the base, it all culminates into a sparkling and extremely fresh fragrance that is great in so many settings. Formal, casual or as a sport fragrance, it can be worn any time any place. The grapefruit lends a citrus fruitiness to the green freshness that is very succulent. Goodlife is very complex and well made; I would even go so far as to say it ties with Zino as Davidoff's best fragrance. It is one of the most highly underrated designer fragrances I know of.

06 March, 2004

chris_cologne's avatar

It stinks and quite frankly im surprised at all the good reviews for it here. Zino, Cool Water and Relax were all fantastic. Product quality has really fallen off with the last 2 entries from Davidoff. BOOOOOOOO!

19 January, 2004