Positive Reviews of Good Life by Davidoff

Find out more about Good Life by Davidoff in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

OCNBreeze7's avatar

It is the Good Life... A classic fragrance - no more...

I am a huge fan of the Davidoff fragrances - I have many in my collection nearing 500 bottles (ok - I guess I am a little OCD..). In addition to being one of my favorite names, the Good Life is one of my favorite Davidoff fragrances. The juice is good - too bad it has been discontinued. I am glad I have 3/4 a bottle that is only used sporadically. The Good Life is truly a pleasant blend of amber, citrus, floral, and sandalwood notes that settles into a herbal, almost grassy", and woodsy fragrance that is fresh and easy on the nose. The longevity and projection/sillage are average, or slightly above average. The "Wow Factor" (comments from the opposite sex) exists - I have had more comments wearing other fragrances, but Good Life has great potential. You will get noticed. While I would feel comfortable wearing Good Life during any season, perhaps Autumn or Spring are ideal. Additionally, Good Life offers versatility that it can be worn day or night or for any occasion.

The bottle and packaging are first class. I am especially fond of the bottle - clear and designed that portrays class. Well done Davidoff.

Now... The rest of the story... The downside is that Good Life has been discontinued. That said, a check of online pricing reveals that if you want some of the Good Life - you will pay a premium.

Final tally for Good Life is 4.1 stars out of a possible 5. Everything about this fragrance is great with the exception of the price/value. If you can find it at a reasonable price, I definitely recommend adding to your collection.

Daily I.M - Today is an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life. Do the right thing..!!

09th April, 2014

coloradomonkey's avatar

I've worn this since the year of launch and continue to wear it. The most obvious notes are the grapefruit, melon and fig leaf. The fig leaf stays until the very end. During the dry down, the magnolia comes through and then finally the amber and sandalwood add a masculine sweetness worth waiting for. Just a little sweet, but still dark and warmer than you would expect from the green and citrusy opening.

I first wore this on a warm afternoon in Palm Springs. It will always remind be of drinking a gin and tonic by the pool and then moving slowly into town for a nice dinner on an 82 degree night. That move from fresh and crisp to warm and elegant is how this fragrance evolves over a period of 4-5 hours.

Sillage is decent. Perfect for me, as I typically don't want to overwhelm anyone with the scent but instead want to just share it between me and my wife. One spray is all you need. In fact, I will sometimes spray that single spray from quite a distance to keep it light.

My only gripe is that it begins a little synthetically. But this is a go-to for me when I want a clean, green, elegant scent.

20th September, 2012

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Definetely the best Davidoff's fragrance. Green, refreshing, simple. Nothing stuffy. The greatest figgy composition I've ever smelt. Also slightly sweet, but completely different from any nowaday's aquatic scent. It exhales some class. Maybe that's why It has never attracted younger crowds. I had owned a bottle back in 98 and decided to buy It again. The only thing I can complain about my new acquisition: The bottle's cap seems cheaper than it used to be. And It doesn't bring Davidoff's signature printed anymore.

15th July, 2010

dm8m's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Good life is a good everyday light scent. The leafy notes of this scent makes me feel like I'm in a cool garden when I was wearing it.

10th January, 2010

blacklibran1's avatar

This scent reminds me off senior year of highschool. Very figgy and warm. I remember smelling this and Emporio in the hall ways for ages. Anyway I like it a little cloying after awhile and I can totally see how someone would get burnt out on this scent but for what it is its pretty good. They no longer make fragrances like this. Very 90's loud and demanding. For nostalgia sake I would wear it.

07th December, 2009

shamu1's avatar

Call me nuts, but if I were to describe Good Life in a nutshell, I'd describe it as an excellent Cool Water-type acquatic fougere with a green melon ball note up top. It does smell very "90s" and a bit dated today, but Good Life is still a very good light, sweet casual fragrance that continues to distinguish itself from the endless continuing line of Cool Water ripoffs (I still think it's that melon ball note that makes the difference!). I'm surprised that I've always liked this since it was released back in the nineties, because generally don't like acquatic or Cool Water-inspired fragrances. Like Polo Sport, Good Life sets itself apart from the norm. I'm glad to see Good Life is still in production.

27th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 03rd December, 2009)

jaguaroadster's avatar

France France

It reminds me a walk in a garden facing the Mediterranean Sea during a sunny afternoon. Certainly with the use of the fig tree leaf, very proeminent in Greece, Italy and south of France. I can also feel the scent of the geranium, lentisc and lavender with a light breeze from the sea. This is a very green, clean, fresh, tonic and fuzzy fragrance without being too much loud and aggressive to the nose. After a while, the drydown turns sweet on the skin and gives you this feeling to feel...good. This is definately not an extraordinary fragrance but this is perfect for sport activities where you can find some grass and cool attitude ( Golf, Polo, Cricket... ).

11th June, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

I have always loved this one. I think it`s quite amazing and I`m kind of pleased to see all the positive reviews here.

Good Life is hands down the most alluring fig fragrance I have ever tried. And oh yes, I love it way much more than Philosykos, for instance.

Good Life isn`t that "refined" or "mature" than some of its fig scent rivals, but more importantly, it is sweet, luscious, intoxicating, virile, entrancingly striking, vitalisizing fragrance. It smells green, juicy and it`s full of life.

Good Life is very appropriate name for this fragrance. Long lasting pleasure.

06th November, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

A green fig that's very light. It's like ck Contradiction without the fuzziness and fig added. Different and nice. A little sweet in the end.

04th July, 2008

lespritz's avatar

I received a half-full bottle from a friend, and I love it...too bad there's not much longevity. what's weird is: on the site here, the bottle has a blue lid, and mine has a silver lid! The smell could be unizes though, and it isn't overbearing, or cheap-smelling either. I'd reccomend it to anyone wanting something nice, and not mainstream.

15th January, 2008

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

This is one of the scents I fell in love with when it was introduced. I have since purchased 3 bottles. It is VERY fresh and bright, yet tempered with a vanilla from the opening. It STAYS fresh which is why some people can't stand it. It is great for office wear and warm weather, though I prefer to wear it on gloomy days as a constant reminder to 'stay happy'.
    All the positive reviews here are on point and very true...so read and heed!

26th June, 2007 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2010)

Carl999's avatar

A generally nice men's perfume. A lot of reviewers have poo-pooed this fragrance. But I am here to stick it to 'em.

Every where I go when wearing the perfume, whether to university, to the local shopping mall, to the doctors' clinic, and even when I go to teach English to Lao and Cambodian immigrants at Phap Quang Buddhist Temple on a Saturday morning, it almost always elicits one or two compliments, and if not, a kind reaction of some sort.

It is relatively fresh and clean, with a woodsy, green, figgy, dynamic and relaxed auror. It is easy to wear, and suits just about all attire and seasons of the year, except maybe winter.

It smells modern and dynamic, without smelling like anything that should remotely be labelled "Eau de Department Store, by Generic".

A generally nice and well-rounded fragrance. A constant, but never in-your-face figgy note pervades well throughout, lending the fragrance a slight coconut and green leaves feel. Well done Davidoff. Alas, it is a pitty that quite a few people have had poor reactions to it. I think they sprayed too much on bare skin.

Its never over-bearing, nor cloying nor generic.

10th June, 2007

tvlampboy's avatar

Great fragrance, and now one of the best buys on the market. (Picked up my last 3.4 oz. bottle at Marshall's for under $15.00!)

I wear this one more than any other "fresh" fragrance in my wardrobe because I always get INUNDATED with compliments whenever I do. (It also has great lasting power and fantastic sillage.)

It's fresh without being fruity (in spite of the fig leaf notes) and crisp without being too dry. A perennial favorite.

18th October, 2006

Stuffman's avatar

I'd have to say I was never really a fan of "green" fragrances, but I've been warming up to them lately. I saw Good Life on sale at TJ Maxx, so I picked it up blind after reading all the good reviews (it was less than $15 after my employee discount). The opening is very green and cool at the same time, and it reminds me of eating a Key Lime Pie on a freshly-cut lawn. The top notes hang on for a while, and eventually smooth out, yet remain full-bodied and rich and hints of florals become apparent.

I suffer from olfactory fatigue badly with this one- at first I thought the longevity was poor, but I received a complement many hours after I thought the scent had disappeared. Overall, this is a very high-quality scent that will see much use in the spring and summer in my wardrobe.

13th August, 2006

Joel_Cairo's avatar

ALong with Rive Gauche and Claiborne Sport, Good Life completes the triumverate of fragrances that, while not particularly original or even outstanding in composition, seems to garner innumerable compliments. RG is the sexy date one, CS is the casual weekend one and GL is the office/power one. For the person who wears cologne for the benefit of those around him, rather than for his own curiosity/appreciation, this highbrow-seeming green marvel is a winner.

04th May, 2006

the_gabba_goul's avatar

Fresh green, summery, vibrant, and alive! The Good life is a scent that just loved to be adored...reminiscent of summer romances, long walks on the beach, and just lounging poolside with a good drink and fine company, this is a very versatile and delightful scent. Somewhat underappreciated, but deffinately worth purchasing, this scent is tuly for those who can enjoy "the good life"...

08th November, 2005

iMaverick's avatar

Davidoff just rolls out good quality scents, never chintzing the consumer. This fresh, green and slightly floral scent made it nothing but unique and beautiful. I gave Davidoff a high level of esteem as a follow up fragrance after the Cool Water craze.

24th September, 2005

AlphaBrahma's avatar

A much finer "Green" fragrance than Creed's Green Irish Tweed. I get more complements on this than I do for any other fragrance. The comment is almost always the same, "boy, do you smell goooood!"
    On a personal note, my favorite "Green" scent is Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi. There is no close second, period.

13th August, 2004

Connoisseur's avatar

Goodlife is an amazingly versatile, clean, fresh and severely green leafy fragrance. With powdery floral notes in the middle and some strange spice notes in the base, it all culminates into a sparkling and extremely fresh fragrance that is great in so many settings. Formal, casual or as a sport fragrance, it can be worn any time any place. The grapefruit lends a citrus fruitiness to the green freshness that is very succulent. Goodlife is very complex and well made; I would even go so far as to say it ties with Zino as Davidoff's best fragrance. It is one of the most highly underrated designer fragrances I know of.

06th March, 2004

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Incredible fragrance... Utterly complex composition with a very "green" spicyness. Good life remains in my opinion one of the top formal scents. The distinct dryness is extremely suitable for office or daytime use.

14th July, 2003

j_dubyah's avatar

I practicaly bathed in it when I first got it a little over two years ago. I really liked its freshness at the time, and soon after bought the ASB to lengthen its stay on my skin. I guess I burned out on it. Don't get me wrong it's a great scent, but I'm tired of it for now, I think. J.W.

05th August, 2001